Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Can a MOD update the original post in this thread with the new track findings? Or does that exist somewhere else? I feel like there have been a few discoveries since then...

Sherbet Head
Been nothing definate yet

Boqurant
This was posted in the general new release speculation thread.

Negamuse wrote:I've been plugging a few lines from that track into subzin.com (great resource for tracking down film samples!)

So far the only one it's found is the Leo the lizard line which is from a 1984 episode of the a team. (Now I think about it, the opening titles did show Hannibal wearing some kind of reptile costume, but I wouldn't have guessed that)

Well I found the source of some more vocal samples from 'DOXA SINISTRA - The Other Stranger' track - the majority seem so far to be from The A-Team episode S3E6 called 'Double Heat' with has the plot summary - 'a young girl named Jenny Olson has been kidnapped' - now where have we heard the name Olson before? :D

Again are the brothers telling us something? :}

Dayvan Cowboy
Guys don't know if it's been said but the shoegaze snippet sounds a lot like Echus.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
luminousdusk wrote:Is this the last track from R35 or from Societas X?

Ah, sorry, I meant the last track on the mix I put together - the ambient one with tape hiss.

Elsewhere in this thread, someone pointed out that this track sounds suspiciously reminiscent of the ambient synth sounds in the fade-out of XYZ. Playing them together is very interesting.

Sherbet Head
ryetronics wrote:Can a MOD update the original post in this thread with the new track findings? Or does that exist somewhere else? I feel like there have been a few discoveries since then...

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada/comments/c55w67/societas_x_tape_tracklist/

Bookmark this. I think it'll get updated if new id's are found.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Eagle Minded
Electronic Dave wrote:

Well I found the source of some more vocal samples from 'DOXA SINISTRA - The Other Stranger' track - the majority seem so far to be from The A-Team episode S3E6 called 'Double Heat' with has the plot summary - 'a young girl named Jenny Olson has been kidnapped' - now where have we heard the name Olson before? :D Again are the brothers telling us something?

Image. The plot thickens. Some of these are too weird not to be coincidences, tbh. "We gotta get the girl (Olson) back." I wonder if we can find anything on the final line of Doxa Sinistra's The Other Stranger, where it says "and I know he would never do anything so wicked and God is my witness." I'm quite curious as to which random tv/movie that quote surfaced from. At least it is safe to say that the users of Twoism have collectively done some decent detective work so far (no pun intended) :wink:

Edit: I am also still trying to figure out the reasoning behind what happens during These Trails' Garden Botanum. At 56:29, my favourite melody of the track itself is entirely halted/shut off, and a strange deep voice overtakes the song, only to resume after. It is not in the original track (lol) and it is clearly intentional. "Here in the wind tunnel, the fearful forces stop (unintelligible) by proxy. And one day, we shall know..." Someone help break down what this could mean, cause my brain is totally trying to melt figuring this one out. I'm pretty sure if I were locked in a room for 10 years with the sole purpose of figuring out the meaning behind that quote, I still wouldn't be able to do it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:Edit: I am also still trying to figure out the reasoning behind what happens during These Trails' Garden Botanum. At 56:29, my favourite melody of the track itself is entirely halted/shut off, and a strange deep voice overtakes the song, only to resume after. It is not in the original track (lol) and it is clearly intentional. "Here in the wind tunnel, the fearful forces stop (unintelligible) by proxy. And one day, we shall know..." Someone help break down what this could mean, cause my brain is totally trying to melt figuring this one out. I'm pretty sure if I were locked in a room for 10 years with the sole purpose of figuring out the meaning behind that quote, I still wouldn't be able to do it.

Yeah that was really spooky. And exactly the sort of thing BoC were said to have done early in their history- mixing “horrific vocals” (sometimes reversed) over TV themes and folk music at Red Moon parties.

That’s one of the things I think is really cool about Societas X Tape. We get to hear them working in a format where copyright isn’t an issue.

Eagle Minded
Mozart wrote: Edit: I am also still trying to figure out the reasoning behind what happens during These Trails' Garden Botanum. At 56:29, my favourite melody of the track itself is entirely halted/shut off, and a strange deep voice overtakes the song, only to resume after. It is not in the original track (lol) and it is clearly intentional. "Here in the wind tunnel, the fearful forces stop (unintelligible) by proxy. And one day, we shall know..." Someone help break down what this could mean, cause my brain is totally trying to melt figuring this one out. I'm pretty sure if I were locked in a room for 10 years with the sole purpose of figuring out the meaning behind that quote, I still wouldn't be able to do it.

People will try to read far too much into things like that, as is our way as BOC fans.

My take is that they edited those things in to mimic the way on a traditional radio broadcast that the DJ will often talk over the fade out of a track and then go back to a snippet of the fade out and talk again etc.

I feel like they consciously tried to format the mix like this, to emulate a traditional radio show but with a BOC-twist.

New Seed
Hi!

Any news about the song that starts at 1:51:50?

I don't know who made it, but it's amazing.

Eagle Minded
I've taken the Societas X Tape and spruced up the mastering a bit. I quite like it...

The link is below if you want to grab it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jlet4nvlufbtnf/01%20Societas%20X%20Tape.flac?dl=0

Dayvan Cowboy
MrKite wrote:Hi!

Happy first post and welcome :mrgreen:
I don't think we have any source on that particular segment yet unfortunately, but I agree, it is wonderful.

On another note, it would be helpful if we could break this down into individual track numbers akin to R35TT. Even if they are named already, it would help to have a number.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote: On another note, it would be helpful if we could break this down into individual track numbers akin to R35TT. Even if they are named already, it would help to have a number.

That's a novel idea, Val. Something like SXT01, SXT02, etc, would be great as far as organization goes. Something of an Opus number for the tracks still in question would be a decent "quality of life" change for discussion purposes. I speculate that in time, we'll discover a few more of the "actual" tracks that are still up for debate, possibly by sheer luck with the help of some obscure music fan, yet I also speculate that there really is some unreleased BoC in there. Especially at 1:52ish. Time of truth, now begun.

I'm still sitting here wondering what it all means, exactly one week from when it first aired, but now with tons of listens. Perhaps I'll never know what it "really" means to have been given such a gift, perhaps I am just too "extreme" of a fan . To those few that were disappointed that it wasn't all new material, I feel your pain, but I believe such persons are missing the point, in a sense. This mixtape was meticulously crafted and tinkered with, so much so that it is like a shamanistic journey just to listen to it. I can feel that they chose tracks that were dear to their heart. To share it with us listeners is a worthy present, one I am not sure that I even deserve. I love it so much that it has essentially been in my musical rotation each day. There are tons of memorable moments throughout the mixtape and I sure as hell hope there are more to come. :evil:

I wish that at this point in time that I could chime in with something that I "discovered" in one of the tracks that proves something (or anything), but today that is not the case, even though I've been performing the musical equivalent of psychoanalysis on the entire mixtape. I'm on the search for something, though, if it is there I will find it eventually, feel free to mark my words. I really am starting to believe it was BoC's way of signalling that they are just as alive as ever. I still think that there are MANY things on the horizon to come, and I will gladly perform a trick of one's choice for those that believe they are "retired," something I have been seeing discussed a fair bit on Reddit. They're not retired- I feel that they are similar to me in the sense that they don't want to "put something out there" just for the sake of doing so; they'd rather wait until the time is right and when they know in their hearts they did their best work possible. I've said before that I think an album is already practically finished and they are just doing "touch ups." I still believe that.

Boqurant
i like this ambient track that plays at 1:51:51 the most i think:
phpBB [media]
we should just assign it the track title 1:51:51, the numerology checks out... (13/M)

Sherbet Head
armotron wrote:i like this ambient track that plays at 1:51:51 the most i think:
phpBB [media]
we should just assign it the track title 1:51:51, the numerology checks out... (13/M)

The 15th tarot card is the one of the Devil :twisted:

:roll:
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
TheStatPow wrote:The 15th tarot card is the one of the Devil :twisted:

:roll:

1hr 51?
Is that not 111 minutes
111x 3=666 :shock:
Quick. Someone overlay it with the 3rd track of the mix whilst closing your eyes and doing freehand writing to see what the Devil wants. I will be on hand for emergency exorcisms.

Also, I couldn't agree more with Mozart's statement. Your writing is so comprehensive and reflective of how many of the less impatient fans feel that I don't feel I have anything to add to that paragraph whatsoever.

Posts Quantity
:-)

Dayvan Cowboy
Let's just pretend that it was part of the joke and not the most basic mathematical error you have ever seen from a twenty-something when he wrote it at 3am, yes?

Good. Never happened :lol:

Eagle Minded

My theory is that it's by a new age musician. A track from the 80s, released on tape in probably quite limited numbers. Iasos was played in the Societas mix, he belonged to the same scene.

Either that, or someone from the tape ambient/drone scene from the late 00s. Those tracks are ridiculously hard to source unless you recognize them. BoC also played Dolphins Into The Future, which is in that category.
WOOP WOOP IT'S THE SOUND OF THE AGEISPOLIS

Boqurant
playbyletters wrote:

My theory is that it's by a new age musician. A track from the 80s, released on tape in probably quite limited numbers. Iasos was played in the Societas mix, he belonged to the same scene.

Either that, or someone from the tape ambient/drone scene from the late 00s. Those tracks are ridiculously hard to source unless you recognize them. BoC also played Dolphins Into The Future, which is in that category.

Iasos? Which track?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada