Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
You guys are nuts. Thank you!

Friendly Stranger
sixtyniner wrote:
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Not available in my country.

It's a 1975 documentary called "The Man Who Skied Down Everest".

Here's another upload of it:
https://youtu.be/V-lZBSDFvxI?t=1024 17:04 for "mother goddess of the world"
https://youtu.be/V-lZBSDFvxI?t=4747 1:19:07 for "try to break, diagonal sideslip"

1:19:07 minus 17:04 = 62:04, roughly length of Tomorrow's Harvest.
ɪɲ ʕʰɘɼɾʏ ɟȺɱɨʟʮ

"My world is your dreamworld, and vice versa. However, and as discussed, the two worlds are coming together apace. [78103301]"

"Dazzled or enlightened, he tries to understand and, at times, to expand the rules of a game he never asked to take part in, and that he is not allowed to renounce."

Sherbet Head
So I just decided to listen to that Carl Matthews album all the way through to see if there's anything noteworthy about it (also just generally on a hunt for new things to listen to regularly) and it's already proving fruitful on the first track. Check out the arpeggiated synth that starts fading in around 1:40:
phpBB [media]

White Cyclosa, anyone?
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Happy Cycler
Jango9 wrote:So I just decided to listen to that Carl Matthews album all the way through to see if there's anything noteworthy about it (also just generally on a hunt for new things to listen to regularly) and it's already proving fruitful on the first track. Check out the arpeggiated synth that starts fading in around 1:40:
phpBB [media]

White Cyclosa, anyone?

That + this = White Cyclosa

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
mechanismj wrote:
Jango9 wrote:So I just decided to listen to that Carl Matthews album all the way through to see if there's anything noteworthy about it (also just generally on a hunt for new things to listen to regularly) and it's already proving fruitful on the first track. Check out the arpeggiated synth that starts fading in around 1:40:
phpBB [media]

White Cyclosa, anyone?

That + this = White Cyclosa

phpBB [media]

That's pretty interesting, thanks

Posts Quantity

Sherbet Head
outhudd wrote:RIP Carlo Smerigilio of Victrola

https://www.facebook.com/99079574991/po ... 879294992/

Awww man, that's a bummer. Thanks for telling us.
Suck my BUTT

Eagle Minded
Aw damn... Maritime Tatami was/is undoubtedly one of my Societas highlights.

RIP

Boqurant
outhudd wrote:RIP Carlo Smerigilio of Victrola

https://www.facebook.com/99079574991/po ... 879294992/
I got the Maritime Tatami single on wax recently it was that good. Very sad news indeed.

Eagle Minded
https://youtu.be/-gbazbOgsG8

Brian Chatton made a few comments. In the thread that is now deleted he also said that he wasn't aware of all this until now and that Mood In Motion was recorded in late 70s for that particular DeWolfe album. If someone here is writing for some publication I am sure lots of people would be interested in a more in-depth story about his song.

Eagle Minded
Jasper Van't Hof is playing tomorrow at a jazz festival where I live. Too bad I can't go see him due to work :( But maybe he'll be there on Saturday too and I hope I will have a chance to bother him with some questions about sxt and bros.

Festival is organized by MPS, label from this town responsible for an album where Associations is, also that George Duke SxT tune, they also released that album. There'll probably be more interesting people to talk to about sxt.

Friendly Stranger
Have you guys found any of the remaining tracks? I've been searching on discogs for months but no luck, even made a thread on the Tracks IDs forum on discogs but nobody replied.

Boqurant
boredsofcanada wrote:Have you guys found any of the remaining tracks? I've been searching on discogs for months but no luck, even made a thread on the Tracks IDs forum on discogs but nobody replied.

The list on bocpages is updated

Eagle Minded
boredsofcanada wrote:Have you guys found any of the remaining tracks?

Nope. There were some that were really close but no luck. There were a couple similar ones which seemingly use same sounds but these were a dead end. Some observations I found interesting. Disclaimer: Put your tinfoil hats on, this is most likely not the case, I blame this on acid.
SxT seems to contain somewhat a mirror image of itself (palindrome?). Mid point is at 1h mark. Track times, themes, song sequences share some interesting similarities in first and second half. The one I found the weirdest is "thank you for not smoking" track mirrored by Creed Taylor Orchestra - Heartaches. Album with Hearthaches also contains a track about dangers of smoking in a laboratory with dangerous chemicals. Both of those are 35 mins in from their ends of a mixtape. Synth by the end of "no smoking" track is most likely a Buchla. DAF and Strange Pop also have it.
As Bocpages states, Hajime track was co-written by a member of Devo. Both of those are about 15 mins away from the mid point.

One Foundation - Dance With Us Lord (1:49:59)
? (ambient) (1:51:45)
? (strings) (1:54:51)
Bruce Haack - Angel Child (1:55:23)
Christian Chevallier - Sea Cathedral (1:56:23)
Pure speculation, but looking at this sequence one can assume that unidentified tracks are also linked to something spiritual.

Oh and unfortunately I did not meet Jasper at the event but bought that George Duke LP with Vulcan Mind Probe on it.

Friendly Stranger
Mansin wrote:The list on bocpages is updated

I know bro. I lurk this thread (and your unknown societas tracks mix video on youtube) almost every two days to see if anything has been found.
Moz wrote:Nope. There were some that were really close but no luck. There were a couple similar ones which seemingly use same sounds but these were a dead end.

Care to post some of the those similar tracks? I find this kind of music very interesting and would love to listen to them.
Also that's a really nice theory, thanks for sharing it. I came up with another one some time ago, it's dumb but here I go: The chord that's being played on the shoegaze/drone guitar track sounds like it could have been sampled from Prince's Purple Rain (the third chord on the song) which is Fadd9 then BoC transposed it with a sampler and ran it through effects. You can even listen to the strings getting muted like on that song. Something like they did on A Moment of Clarity with that Manhattan Transfer track.

Eagle Minded
boredsofcanada wrote:Care to post some of the those similar tracks? I find this kind of music very interesting and would love to listen to them.

Sure. Enjoy.
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Boqurant
Moz wrote:
boredsofcanada wrote:Care to post some of the those similar tracks? I find this kind of music very interesting and would love to listen to them.

Sure. Enjoy.
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

The beginning of the first track reminds me of one of the web loops.

Posts Quantity
I'm not sure if SXT 57 is Trillions. There's no guarantee that SXT 57 is even made by BoC, though R35TT B14 is confirmed. On the other hand, SXT 57 fits in well with my imagination of CV1 (based off the songs we have) to be a bunch of wandering synths, only tied together with repetitive drum loops (SXT 57 has drums near the end, listen carefully).
Fly!

Eagle Minded
I don't think anything in SxT was made by BoC, besides the Aquarius remix.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
sandrail wrote:I'm not sure if SXT 57 is Trillions. There's no guarantee that SXT 57 is even made by BoC, though R35TT B14 is confirmed. On the other hand, SXT 57 fits in well with my imagination of CV1 (based off the songs we have) to be a bunch of wandering synths, only tied together with repetitive drum loops (SXT 57 has drums near the end, listen carefully).

I think those "drums" are simply analog delay feedback artifacts. You can hear something like this here:
phpBB [media]

This track is eerily similar to what is on SxT. If you like this stuff there are some other tracks on the comp with BoC sounds.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada