Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
What a great mix honestly!!! They are freaking STILL rocking my world!!! And I feel it's far from being over...
I truly am so grateful!!! Dying for a new album tho ;-)
Last edited by Compound Candy on Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
a discussion from discord...

track 1 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkswoae5Tbk
youtube uploader -> "rue thewhirl" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS7xx ... qrg/videos
"rue thewhirl" mixcloud -> https://www.mixcloud.com/Astral_Vibes/

seems this is the guy behind the nts regular show "acid memories" which we already discussed - and presumably a big boc fan based on the references :) - but a nice coincidence haha

Posts Quantity
Number 110 is called "Dance with us Lord", You can listen to it here:
http://www.prem-rawat-bio.org/music/one ... /yame.html
Apparently is part of a religious album
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

New Seed
Was the song before the shot of protectin bit a boards song?

Dayvan Cowboy
This was an awesome mix, and it's given me thoughts about how I need to listen to way wider stuff, I mean, damn! But what a gift and so well put together. There's mixtapes, and there's conjuring the Kuleshov effect with track choices.

The not-Aquarius in the middle got a good laugh out of me, and partly it was cos, well. I wasn't expecting more than one or two of their tracks for the last week, but of all the tracks on there it was THE one that was most "since they got signed" BoC, and by the time it came in it wasn't at all "Oh, here's one of theirs finally" it was just another part of the whole thing.

I might be reaching here but I think it's funny they picked Aquarius and used Slave To The Rhythm. I mean, is that a little dig in the ribs about fan expectations on their work ethic or what? Or is it just because they did so many mixes of Aquarius, and Slave To The Rhythm was famously remixed and reinterpreted until it became a whole album.

Anyway, I loved listening to this, thanks, BoC.

Eagle Minded
Completely unfounded and unnecessary speculation: 111 is Trillions from Closes ;)

Boqurant
That was nice mix with some beautiful moments. But as much as I like to be introduced to music they like, it would really make me happy if they - who are now nearing 50 - could finally realize that they themselves are much bigger than their influences. They have surpassed the stuff that formed them and have become musical force of their own making. BoC are on another level and should recognize that. In the end, the only things important will be what THEY did, not what they liked about others. If Beethoven had spent years and years of his life just listening, playing, admiring, reworking and 'remixing' Mozart's music, we would have probably never had 5th or 7th Symphony. ... I really don't want to sound ungrateful because I enjoyed this mix tape very much, but I would easily throw it away in a second in exchange for an official release of, for example, 5.9.78 ....
all things shining

David Bowie cited Boards of Canada and Kendrick Lamar as the main influences behind his final album. They have been tapped by Solange and Beck over the years. They know their influence and that they’ve carved out their own lane. Critics, artists, and fans tell them over and over again.

It’s important for an artist to nod to their own influences. It’s one thing to be an enigmatic artist, it’s another to pretend other artists haven’t impacted your work. If it weren’t for some songs on this mix, we may not have had Boards of Canada.

This mix is an incredible insight into their minds. I want new material as much as everyone else on this forum, but I say well done.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

New Seed
Googling the "vocals" at ~45mins (#40) is Jupiter Prophet- 35,000 Feet: Challenger’s Theme (1986)

Eagle Minded
the track ID of Esplendor Geométrico is called 'Regeneración'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI1CnmflMI4
Telephasic Workshop

Dayvan Cowboy
opoth_ wrote:That's opoth_ to you :D

You're back! :mrgreen:

New Seed
Helping with a track ID.

One of the little ambient vignettes right before Victrola - Maritime Tatami was by Dolphins Into the Future (it starts around 3:00). It's from a self-titled/untitled tape released in 2007. It doesn't have a name, so it just goes as Untitled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkPNohvJW7U

Discogs info: https://www.discogs.com/Dolphins-Into-T ... se/1127558

Friendly Stranger
which number is the track around 58min? its mono

figured it out its No.57 right after Garden Botanum. my bad.
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Posts Quantity
I feel like we got treated to some pretty special “old tunes”, but unfortunately there is no way to check it. I’d like to think some of the interludes were snippets of Hooper Bay, Play By Numbers, etc..

Any of those little pieces stand out to you as old Boards? There was one that stood out to me in the second half, but I would need to register to time stamp.

Dayvan Cowboy
Re-listening already. One thing that stands out to me is how seamlessly the tracks were made to flow together. This is exactly what I’d expect from a mixtape made by BoC, complete with subliminals, backmasked vocals, mash-ups alá the Old Tunes/Hell Interface, and sound collages. My expectations were high and I have to say this is a fucking awesome addition to their output.

Dayvan Cowboy
HappyCyclist wrote:Any of those little pieces stand out to you as old Boards? There was one that stood out to me in the second half, but I would need to register to time stamp.

There was definitely some stuff that sounded like it’d fit right alongside “Wouldn’t You Like to Be Free?” and was lo-fi enough that it’s likely to be some of their early recordings. Listening back through to figure out times.

Eagle Minded
Has anyone found the name of track 29? It's the one after doxa sinistra. It's sooo good

Posts Quantity
Just a note that the numbers on the track list are rough minutes into the mix, not track numbers.

Posts Quantity
Gotta say that Flayer - “Wanna Get Back Your Love” had me feeling all sorts of weird in the best way. It feels so random until you realize it’s a track they would (or already have) sample the hell out of.

Posts Quantity
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
HappyCyclist wrote:Any of those little pieces stand out to you as old Boards? There was one that stood out to me in the second half, but I would need to register to time stamp.

There was definitely some stuff that sounded like it’d fit right alongside “Wouldn’t You Like to Be Free?” and was lo-fi enough that it’s likely to be some of their early recordings. Listening back through to figure out times.

Hell yes. Wouldn’t You Like To Be Free is possibly my favorite snippet from their back catalogue. Please post updates if you get a time stamp. The tune that stood out to me ended with an increasingly high pitch tone.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada