Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
tchewnz wrote:
billywhite wrote:I want to point out that 13. Flayer - Wanna Get Back Your Love (Mix 1) (20:53) is the song remixed in Samo DJ - Flyer Edit, which is being played slowed down on the BoC show.

Nah, the Societas one is at the correct speed.

https://www.deejay.de/FLAYER_Wanna_Get_ ... yl__932659

I think you missed the point. :roll:
In the Societas show the Samo DJ edit is played slowed down. That edit is a remix of the Flayer song. So for the song list of the Societas show to be correct it has to mention Samo DJ and not Flayer.

Posts Quantity
billywhite wrote:I think you missed the point. :roll:
In the Societas show the Samo DJ edit is played slowed down. That edit is a remix of the Flayer song. So for the song list of the Societas show to be correct it has to mention Samo DJ and not Flayer.

Can't hear it at all, I think it's the original version.
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Posts Quantity
Bit confusing here but there are two (considerably different) original versions of the Flayer track. (Now called Mix 1 and Mix 2 since the reissue. The Extended version has them back to back.).

The Samo DJ edit is a sped up version of Mix 1 with some extra voice and effects samples on top. Societas x Tape has Mix 1 at the original speed. It's not the Samo DJ edit, there are all kinds of extra voices and samples on the Samo DJ edit which aren't on SxT.

(When the Samo DJ edit first came out in 2015 I thought it was a totally different remix he's done, because the only version of Flayer I knew was the Mix 2 version included on the Moonboots Originals CD. But later I saw there's another mix of Flayer that Samo DJ just sped up and added other effects on top. It's a nice edit, but not quite the wonderous remix I first thought it was. You can see there'sa
comment by Hysteric on the discogs page who also made the same mistake I did:
"Samo DJ - "Flyer Edit" is ridiculously good.. rare skill to change the context, feeling and tempo of the source material (Flayer ‎– "Wanna Get Back Your Love") and not only equal that but beat it.
One of the best edits I've heard in a long time.").

Eagle Minded
In an attempt to drum up some discussion during a lull in the thread, allow me to pose the question: "What does Societas X mean to you?"

It's a tough question to answer. I think a lot of my positive sentiments towards it revolve around the drought period of output. To know that it consisted of tunes that have in some way inspired the work of BoC is of interest. I've always been curious towards the types of musical pieces they would choose to listen to in their own free time. Somehow, they managed to pull off quite a feat of strength- the tracks themselves, on paper, just don't seem like they'd fit together. But against all odds, BoC managed to tie them all into an evolving cultural trip down the rabbit hole. I've been thinking that its inherent significance lies in the notion that listening to the track makes you feel like the music is bigger than yourself. You're outwardly exposed to vastly different cultural themes, psychedelia, madness, calmness, and almost any description you could think of. One simply cannot say that Societas X is this or that, for it is one hell of an amalgam of a collective weave. It is a perplexing and mystifying mix of cultural traditional music and modern electronic music, among many other things. That, to me, is quite special and something you don't see often. I'm sitting here thirsting for more BoC music after hearing Societas X, but not because I am a selfish person and think they are musical monkeys of some sort solely existing to provide me content. It's because this music moves me, very much so, and while other music has this affect on me, it seems quite indescribable when it comes to the music of Boards of Canada. I know it is the case for others as well. I'm not sure where I'm going with this tangent, but just know that when the day with new music arrives, I'll be the conductor on the hype-train welcoming everyone in. We're going to have one hell of a time together. That gets me excited just thinking about it! I still reflect on the very day, not too long ago, that we were all in here on this first listening session of Societas X. Man was that a blast... it seriously felt like I was at a concert or a party with everyone and I was only in my bedroom with headphones on. I was in another world, completely.. what a great way to remember the summer of 2019. There's going to come a day where BoC surface again, and I think I will be over the moon, right with you all. For what it's worth, I think that day is going to come sooner rather than later.

Dayvan Cowboy
I second Mozart's final statement and say this, BOC knew that some of their buddies on warp would be sharing their unreleased music but BOC chose not to. I think they wish their next release whether archival or brand new to be released ceremoniously and they're going to have a great big concept to go along with it. As much as we want BOC to just dump a boat load of music a la Aphex Twin, they're not that kind of people. Since A Beautiful Place Out In The Country they've loved their concepts and I feel that they have a grand one planned for the future.

I'm sure one day we will have a fifth album or a gorgeous box set where we hear some of those enticing cassette tapes for the first time. After all unless you're 90 we can still wait a few years! But who knows, maybe we just need to heed Doxa and give it a bit longer ;) I still think it's a little interesting that they cut the track off right when the voice clip said that.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Really thought I was on to something here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B3Y3_VSp70

I really enjoyed Societas X, it got me listening to some stuff I wouldn't have listened too otherwise, and probably wouldn't outside of the mix, if I'm honest. I mean, I enjoy them as part of the journey of the mix, I enjoy them in context. And I've always been a bit curious as to what kind of stuff BoC actually listened to, which I guess this answered, a bit.

The thing that really struck me as odd after the fact is that we only found out the track listing by collectively digging for it, it's an odd thing to have left off, in retrospect. One thing to be saying "here's a mix of stuff we like, listen to all these other artists", but it doesn't give you a jumping off point to actually do that unless we know where to look! We worked most of it out anyway, as it happens, but I can't imagine that was the point of the exercise, I think it was literally "hey, listen to this". It's just this side of being an obvious music obscurity flex, which it wouldn't have been anywhere near if they'd actually given credits.

But as a curated journey through some lesser traveled roads, it was a neat way to spend a few hours and I enjoyed not knowing where it was going. I just think without knowing exactly where it went (let alone why - like, why these tracks in particular?) it raises more questions than it answers.

Dayvan Cowboy
https://wxaxrxp.bleepstores.com/

Empty Bleepstore has a graphic now when you type in this url

Posts Quantity
Sl Flk wrote:They have left many clues as to where their inspirations and even samples come from in that NTS mix -

I have located the 'I'M LISTENING sample from Aquarius. I've been obsessing today over the track Dance with us Lord from the One foundation. A tape that was circulated around the Divine Light Mission cult/group whatever.

It comes from another tape. This time by a band (i think called Blue Aquarius) It happens 54 seconds in

http://www.ex-premie.org/gallery/mp3/At ... master.mp3

The background to this link between Blue Aquarius and One Foundation is quite a weird rabbit hole of the Divine Light Mission cult surrounding Prem Rawat in the 70s when he was known as Guru Maharaj Ji, the Satguru (True Master). This is a good website of the history http://www.prem-rawat-bio.org

phpBB [media]

Literally at the feet of the master

Eagle Minded
sixtyniner wrote:
Sl Flk wrote:They have left many clues as to where their inspirations and even samples come from in that NTS mix -

I have located the 'I'M LISTENING sample from Aquarius. I've been obsessing today over the track Dance with us Lord from the One foundation. A tape that was circulated around the Divine Light Mission cult/group whatever.

It comes from another tape. This time by a band (i think called Blue Aquarius) It happens 54 seconds in

http://www.ex-premie.org/gallery/mp3/At ... master.mp3

The background to this link between Blue Aquarius and One Foundation is quite a weird rabbit hole of the Divine Light Mission cult surrounding Prem Rawat in the 70s when he was known as Guru Maharaj Ji, the Satguru (True Master). This is a good website of the history http://www.prem-rawat-bio.org

phpBB [media]

Literally at the feet of the master

It's the day of the dolphin today

https://youtu.be/zL7iFsUAq_k

Eagle Minded
I don't know if anyone has read about my theory about MHTRTC being largely influenced by a 1993 series about the native americans and native american culture in general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyL6-Vb8beA

Well I've also come across this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSB4amfJYyE

And for the life of me I am sure that the music was partially played in the NTS mix? I'm probably imagining it (and everything) but i don't know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL7iFsUAq_k

Eagle Minded
Gemini - Twins of the Apocalypse (Trump and Johnson)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL7iFsUAq_k

Don't let this happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaw4hY7YRg

Sherbet Head
I'm sure there's a politics thread somewhere..

Eagle Minded
I am not sure if any of those missing tracks will be found. Probably will but who knows when, some people must know them but are keeping their mouth shut. It really does not matter. While searching for this stuff the last couple of months I heard so much good tracks and different types of music. Saying this as a DJ which means I am searching for music constantly, this number grew exponentially. All this was in the middle of my psychedelic experiment phase which means I was REALLY into scourging Discogs, artists, labels and whatnot, many sleepless nights. I decided that my search was over. Ending does not matter, what matters is the journey. Or some deep shit like that I guess lol

Anyway, here's one of the most interesting releases I found. This thing almost sounds like Old Tunes sometimes. Especially this track:
phpBB [media]

I wish good luck to anyone who is still searching and I will happilly check out the progress from time to time.

Also, thanks BoC. I don't need a new album any time soon. This was enough.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:https://wxaxrxp.bleepstores.com/

Empty Bleepstore has a graphic now when you type in this url

Just because I've been obsessively checking this site everyday, did you guys know it was down for a while this morning? It had a 505 but came back up later. I'm reminded of the BOC website that people used to monitor and how it would pull weird things like that.

I do understand that people got sick of closely monitoring BOC and warp related pages because they haven't led to anything substantial but I'm still young in my BOC fandom (3 years) so I'm having fun doing it.

Most importantly though, I've spoken to a bleep representative via email and they've confirmed that there is something planned for the future. Whether BOC has anything to do with it, we'll see :D

Eagle Minded
Moz wrote:I am not sure if any of those missing tracks will be found. Probably will but who knows when, some people must know them but are keeping their mouth shut. It really does not matter. While searching for this stuff the last couple of months I heard so much good tracks and different types of music. Saying this as a DJ which means I am searching for music constantly, this number grew exponentially. All this was in the middle of my psychedelic experiment phase which means I was REALLY into scourging Discogs, artists, labels and whatnot, many sleepless nights. I decided that my search was over. Ending does not matter, what matters is the journey. Or some deep shit like that I guess lol

Anyway, here's one of the most interesting releases I found. This thing almost sounds like Old Tunes sometimes. Especially this track:
phpBB [media]

I wish good luck to anyone who is still searching and I will happilly check out the progress from time to time.

Also, thanks BoC. I don't need a new album any time soon. This was enough.

Great find. For my digging I'd say it has to be these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZjWRZpEqc4

Can hear a lot of BoC here - especially that climbing up the scale sound at 0:43 that they love so much :)

New Seed
Hello people. I introduce myself I am a descendant of the Mapuche community of the Argentine Patagonia. I want to say that the environment of this mix has helped me identify what I really am, a spiritual being. I feel very grateful to this.

Lately, things of spiritual nature are happening to me, such as synchronization with things, many causalities and so on).
and according to my perception and sensation, I find that this mix tells us to put aside science, intelligence and enter ourselves (the unconscious), to pay attention to the wisdom of the native peoples. AND GIVE LOVE THAT EVERYTHING RETURNS, (we are in the age of aquarium, not the hippies)
Therefore, in my environment are all nostalgic (whether in movie remakes, memories, etc.
It made me realize that most of the issues warned us or looked at this era. To return to the past to re-affirm everything I said.
The wisdom of the people is the only weapon against this destructive system. Maybe they already know, but I don't, and that's why I'm happy for who I am. The origin of each human is very important. Know what your identity is and in my case my mapuche cosmovision.
Well I say goodbye.
Pd: use the google translator, I don't know if it is filled correctly. :lol:

Boqurant
Scorpiosea wrote:Hello people. I introduce myself I am a descendant of the Mapuche community of the Argentine Patagonia. I want to say that the environment of this mix has helped me identify what I really am, a spiritual being. I feel very grateful to this.

Lately, things of spiritual nature are happening to me, such as synchronization with things, many causalities and so on).
and according to my perception and sensation, I find that this mix tells us to put aside science, intelligence and enter ourselves (the unconscious), to pay attention to the wisdom of the native peoples. AND GIVE LOVE THAT EVERYTHING RETURNS, (we are in the age of aquarium, not the hippies)
Therefore, in my environment are all nostalgic (whether in movie remakes, memories, etc.
It made me realize that most of the issues warned us or looked at this era. To return to the past to re-affirm everything I said.
The wisdom of the people is the only weapon against this destructive system. Maybe they already know, but I don't, and that's why I'm happy for who I am. The origin of each human is very important. Know what your identity is and in my case my mapuche cosmovision.
Well I say goodbye.

Hey uuh...
wrong topic ?
(also i'm not sure if were ok on religious sharing here)
"Boc is probably in the future thinking about the past" - Sean Booth 05/06/2022

https://maschtob.bandcamp.com/album/the-9th-sacred-camp

Eagle Minded
Scorpiosea wrote:Hello people. I introduce myself I am a descendant of the Mapuche community of the Argentine Patagonia. I want to say that the environment of this mix has helped me identify what I really am, a spiritual being. I feel very grateful to this.

Well I say goodbye.

Well said ;)

Friendly Stranger
I've been trying to find out what happened to the female singer from One Foundation, Kim Field. I ended up contacting the bass player, Joe Creighton. He got back to me today. She's now called Kim O'Leary and is still making music. Her website is here: https://kimoleary.com and there are links to her YT where she has a dozen or so songs.

She seems to be well out of the Guru Maharaj Ji cult; in fact, the bio on her website doesn't mention it or One Foundation at all. Her songs I've listened to seem to be about being free, believing in herself, etc. Unfortunately they somehow aren't as magical as those earlier recordings.

BTW, for those who haven't seen, there is a ton of streamable/downloadable One Foundation here: http://www.prem-rawat-bio.org/music/onefoundation/onefoundation.html.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'd like to share this track with you all since we're all sharing stuff similar to what was heard on Societas X Tape. This beautiful track is one where I swear they are using one of BOC's actual keyboards. Has that same kind of melancholy feel to it, and plus, it was manufactured in the seventies or around that time. Soft Machine when headed by Karl Jenkins (like in this track) actually went from jazz fusion to making library music and commercial jingles so there's a slight connection to the genres they're interested in. But all in all, this is just a great track from a band that's somewhat underground, even today.

phpBB [media]

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada