Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 68
Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Has anyone managed to find the Bing Crosby Minute Maid ad yet? :)

I tried looking but I didn't find the one they included.

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 40
Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
sixtyniner wrote:Has anyone managed to find the Bing Crosby Minute Maid ad yet? :)


I'm thinking it might be from the old radio shows, but there are so many. There are a fair few here https://archive.org/details/otr_crosby.

Eg listen to the live ads for Chesterfield cigarettes! https://archive.org/details/otr_crosby/BingCrosby_1951-05-23_LouisArmstrong.mp3

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 40
Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
On second thoughts, the commercial is probably much later than the 50's: "no preservatives or additives". So 1970s+ ?

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 114
Joined: 12 Jul 2019
When potatoes pour out from beneath the earth surface, Incredible flavoured crisps sometimes occur.

https://youtu.be/tguGciAQ4Ek

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 2133
Joined: 7 Feb 2014
Location: London, UK
Sl Flk wrote:When potatoes pour out from beneath the earth surface, Incredible flavoured crisps sometimes occur.

https://youtu.be/tguGciAQ4Ek


The preparation for a snack is always a tense time

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 114
Joined: 12 Jul 2019
Valotonin wrote:
Sl Flk wrote:When potatoes pour out from beneath the earth surface, Incredible flavoured crisps sometimes occur.

https://youtu.be/tguGciAQ4Ek


The preparation for a snack is always a tense time




MIND BLOWN hahahah

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 62
Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Location: East Sussex, England
Sl Flk wrote:When potatoes pour out from beneath the earth surface, Incredible flavoured crisps sometimes occur.

https://youtu.be/tguGciAQ4Ek


Oh my word I haven't seen that see ~ 1986 at primary school - wow thanks for sharing. Nothing healthier than crisps served with baked beans - not! :D

On another note I still keep listening to this broadcast and its become a really strange experience - like with TH I listened to it live via streaming online and I'm still emotionally blown away by the music, samples and influences...that two hour journey will stay with me for a long time to come.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 247
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
The two main messages I get from Societas X Tape are "We're working on music but while we're doing that, go out and see the musical world. Really dive in deep and find these wonderful little obscurities."

In a way, it's sort of like The Avalanche's two albums. Those guys take music that literally no one knows and flush it out to a bigger audience with a humorous good natured flair.

Not every track hits home for me, (There's one in particular that sonically annoys me, but I refuse to name names) but a good majority of them are wonderful discoveries that I would never know without the help of my favorite electronica group.

I could go for a second one if the brothers don't want to release music at the time. Hint hint ;)

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1920
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Location: Nijverdal, Netherlands
Echelon wrote:The two main messages I get from Societas X Tape are "We're working on music but while we're doing that, go out and see the musical world. Really dive in deep and find these wonderful little obscurities."

In a way, it's sort of like The Avalanche's two albums. Those guys take music that literally no one knows and flush it out to a bigger audience with a humorous good natured flair.

Not every track hits home for me, (There's one in particular that sonically annoys me, but I refuse to name names) but a good majority of them are wonderful discoveries that I would never know without the help of my favorite electronica group.

I could go for a second one if the brothers don't want to release music at the time. Hint hint ;)


It kind of seems like The Avalanches are hinting towards a new album or EP in the near future, posting cryptical hints and stuff.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 247
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
portiss wrote:
Echelon wrote:The two main messages I get from Societas X Tape are "We're working on music but while we're doing that, go out and see the musical world. Really dive in deep and find these wonderful little obscurities."

In a way, it's sort of like The Avalanche's two albums. Those guys take music that literally no one knows and flush it out to a bigger audience with a humorous good natured flair.

Not every track hits home for me, (There's one in particular that sonically annoys me, but I refuse to name names) but a good majority of them are wonderful discoveries that I would never know without the help of my favorite electronica group.

I could go for a second one if the brothers don't want to release music at the time. Hint hint ;)


It kind of seems like The Avalanches are hinting towards a new album or EP in the near future, posting cryptical hints and stuff.


That's awesome that it's not going to be another 15 years for them. :lol:
Let's hope BOC never take 15 years. Hope I didn't jinx us :P

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 374
Joined: 29 Mar 2017
Location: The North
Pretty sure one of the first unknown tracks, the dark techno esque song, is a “Sean Booth” recording or tape. BoC have consistently mentioned they used to “trade” demo tapes of samples and songs with Sean Booth and Autechre, and this track sounds almost the same in terms of style and beat structure as one of the tracks on the Autechre WARP 30 warp tapes mix. I listened to both of them right after each other again the other day and that song was almost clear as day!.... i will post back after work with track numbers and time stamps...

New Seed
Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 Oct 2018

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 4296
Joined: 1 Dec 2005
Walkingcloud wrote:https://youtu.be/SQ959s4j3o4


Nice find! I always wondered if those background voices were part of the actual track or something BoC worked in. Now we know!

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 89
Joined: 15 Nov 2014
Location: Chile
Walkingcloud wrote:https://youtu.be/SQ959s4j3o4


Wow finally
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests