Origin of the Random 35 Tracks Tape?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
He was more talking about the other Old Tunes leaks there I would think.

(Not that he, over even BoC themselves, would keep with what leak is what and what came from where etc...)

Friendly Stranger
qukk_ wrote:Didn't Sean Booth say something about how the brothers "cut off ties" after r35tt leaked?

i think it was old tunes, not r35tt
i don't think there ever was really that much official word from boc themselves on r35tt, just mdg calling it a mystery and a mixture.

Posts Quantity
niski wrote:
qukk_ wrote:Didn't Sean Booth say something about how the brothers "cut off ties" after r35tt leaked?

i don't think there ever was really that much official word from boc themselves on r35tt, just mdg calling it a mystery and a mixture.

Okay, I remember someone quoting Booth here on the discussion of r35tt. Boc did like a video featuring A12, if that can be interpreted as acknowledgment.
joyrex can eat my bankrupt...

Friendly Stranger
qukk_ wrote:
niski wrote:

Okay, I remember someone quoting Booth here on the discussion of r35tt. Boc did like a video featuring A12, if that can be interpreted as acknowledgment.

if you remember where that quote was, i'm curious about it actually cause it's at least not widely known info if true

Posts Quantity
The only mention of it I could find was the top comment on this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... acks_tape/

But even then, they don't refer to what interview they got the quote from. Possibly an interview done 2005 - 2010, If I had to estimate.

Friendly Stranger

i know that quote, it doesnt say anything about r35tt
instead it says what i wrote a few replies back

Sherbet Head
Oh sorry. I dont recall any similar quotes about R35 by Sean. Must have missed that.

Posts Quantity
bakedsodium wrote:Pardon me if this is painfully obvious and I'm somehow missing it, but does anyone know where the R35TT came from?
Who ripped it?

I don't think it's even confirmed whether or not R35TT ever actually existed as a tape.

The alternative is that someone compiled it digitally from other tape rips that they had, and the track ordering and mixing was all done on computer around 2003/4 using the digital files they had. I remember the crossfading between tracks reminded me of what you could get from one of the Winamp Crossfade plugins at the time.

Just a possibility.

New Seed
outhudd wrote:
bakedsodium wrote:Pardon me if this is painfully obvious and I'm somehow missing it, but does anyone know where the R35TT came from?
Who ripped it?

I don't think it's even confirmed whether or not R35TT ever actually existed as a tape.

Didn't one of WATMM admins (Joyrex?) claim that they own a cassette of it? Also there's a difference in fidelity between the two sides, hence kind of confirming the tape nature of this record.

Posts Quantity
crono000 wrote:
outhudd wrote:
Who ripped it?

Didn't one of WATMM admins (Joyrex?) claim that they own a cassette of it? Also there's a difference in fidelity between the two sides, hence kind of confirming the tape nature of this record.

Joyrex is probably lying about that. If he did have it, it's a bit strange how he seemingly never bothered to upload pictures of it, no less rip it from a decent tape deck.

Eagle Minded
Yeah, I wouldn't trust anything Joyrex says. If lying was an Olympic sport, that motherfucker would win gold every time.

Sherbet Head
I personally suspect that R35 was available in some VERY closed off private circle on the internet and the reason it got leaked in so many different ways is that various users from that private circle eventually uploaded their copies. There is the common 320kbps copy that has digital NR done to it and then there is the "Unreleased tracks" copy which is a collection of certain B side tracks in higher fidelity without the digital NR. What I suspect happened was that certain users encoded and modified the original audio files to their liking. One downloaded the whole tape but added NR to it at 320kbps. Another kept just a few B side tracks and encoded it at a lower bit rate without adding digital NR. I even remember finding a rare copy of R35 on the old Soulseek client in which there was an extra five to ten seconds at the begging before the tape even began to play. This means that the original rip was lost to time and the copies that leaked are modified and slightly cut down versions of the original un edited rip. But this is just my opinion. And before anyone asks I can't really provide a copy of that rip since it was on a hard drive that failed a year ago. It's not really that significant. It has the same NR as the 320kbps version has but without the fades at the begging and end of each side from what I remember.
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Friendly Stranger
outhudd wrote:
Who ripped it?

The alternative is that someone compiled it digitally from other tape rips that they had, and the track ordering and mixing was all done on computer around 2003/4 using the digital files they had. I remember the crossfading between tracks reminded me of what you could get from one of the Winamp Crossfade plugins at the time.

Just a possibility.

doubtful because the noise does not stack up in the transitions

Friendly Stranger
Joyrex is probably lying about that. If he did have it, it's a bit strange how he seemingly never bothered to upload pictures of it, no less rip it from a decent tape deck.

once again, as i mentioned just a few replies back, it is a misunderstanding which he himself admitted to back in 2006

Friendly Stranger
Flory wrote:I personally suspect that R35 was available in some VERY closed off private circle on the internet and the reason it got leaked in so many different ways is that various users from that private circle eventually uploaded their copies. There is the common 320kbps copy that has digital NR done to it and then there is the "Unreleased tracks" copy which is a collection of certain B side tracks in higher fidelity without the digital NR. What I suspect happened was that certain users encoded and modified the original audio files to their liking. One downloaded the whole tape but added NR to it at 320kbps. Another kept just a few B side tracks and encoded it at a lower bit rate without adding digital NR. I even remember finding a rare copy of R35 on the old Soulseek client in which there was an extra five to ten seconds at the begging before the tape even began to play. This means that the original rip was lost to time and the copies that leaked are modified and slightly cut down versions of the original un edited rip. But this is just my opinion. And before anyone asks I can't really provide a copy of that rip since it was on a hard drive that failed a year ago. It's not really that significant. It has the same NR as the 320kbps version has but without the fades at the begging and end of each side from what I remember.

yep this seems to be mostly correct. i assume you meant "unreleased materials" with that other thing tho and it is very strange, NRed A side but no NR on B side. 192kbps "rare cassette tracks" is separate from both too and contains B02-B12.

the tape has its first findable mentions either in march of 2001 or january of 2000 (it is not directly mentioned, but mentions a 35 track tape with old tracks, which is why the ambiguity)

i did receive unconfirmed info (but backed up with a screenshot of the original NRed files) that this tape originally leaked in the late 90s on a private password-protected hotline server, could have smth to do with it

Sherbet Head
niski wrote:
Flory wrote:I personally suspect that R35 was available in some VERY closed off private circle on the internet and the reason it got leaked in so many different ways is that various users from that private circle eventually uploaded their copies. There is the common 320kbps copy that has digital NR done to it and then there is the "Unreleased tracks" copy which is a collection of certain B side tracks in higher fidelity without the digital NR. What I suspect happened was that certain users encoded and modified the original audio files to their liking. One downloaded the whole tape but added NR to it at 320kbps. Another kept just a few B side tracks and encoded it at a lower bit rate without adding digital NR. I even remember finding a rare copy of R35 on the old Soulseek client in which there was an extra five to ten seconds at the begging before the tape even began to play. This means that the original rip was lost to time and the copies that leaked are modified and slightly cut down versions of the original un edited rip. But this is just my opinion. And before anyone asks I can't really provide a copy of that rip since it was on a hard drive that failed a year ago. It's not really that significant. It has the same NR as the 320kbps version has but without the fades at the begging and end of each side from what I remember.

yep this seems to be mostly correct. i assume you meant "unreleased materials" with that other thing tho and it is very strange, NRed A side but no NR on B side. 192kbps "rare cassette tracks" is separate from both too and contains B02-B12.

the tape has its first findable mentions either in march of 2001 or january of 2000 (it is not directly mentioned, but mentions a 35 track tape with old tracks, which is why the ambiguity)

i did receive unconfirmed info (but backed up with a screenshot of the original NRed files) that this tape originally leaked in the late 90s on a private password-protected hotline server, could have smth to do with it

To add on to this I was browsing around my old posts and found an interesting little tid bit on one of the first ever leaked copies of R35 to come out that I apparently posted and forgot about for years after. Apparently I had managed to get a hold of a link to a long defunct boc wiki called "boc.xwiki", something allot like Fandom except in the early 2000s. Using the Wayback Machine I was able to find the page for r35 which had just been created just a few months after the full rip had leaked on SS, November 2004 so it had like tons of interesting information on how the rips slowly leaked under different names and encoding formats. (Here is the link to the Wayback capture) https://web.archive.org/web/20041112023647/http://boc.xwiki.com:80/xwiki/bin/view/Unreleased/Rarities

One of the interesting tid bits is that apparently one of the earliest bits of R35 to leak were the two tracks, A13 and B12 of which is reportedly to have leaked around the same time AFOT did. They were encoded at 32kbps mono and were allot shorter in length compared to the common rip (1:46 for A13 and 1:30 for B12).

This on it's own would be quite interesting on it's own, but long story short I kind of went a bit koo koo trying to find all the listed leaked copies on the page to see if I could get a copy of the A side of R35 without NR. So I installed Soulseek NS (The old Soulseek client that originally was used to host the original rips (I think)) and spent months just downloading copious amounts of gigabytes worth of early R35 rips that I could find that were labeled under early names such as "Old Tunes Vol 1", "Unknown Tracks" and "audiotrack x".

Although I didn't find much other then a copy of R35 without a fade in or out at the tape ends (as I mentioned in the previous post) I did find find a very low bit rate copy of R35 in full that seemed to have had no NR on either side (but the fidelity was so low it was pointless to do anything with it) and along side that I found a very familiar looking file that was very odd on it's own.

It was what appeared to be the very 32kbps copy of A13 that was mentioned in the nearly lost to time BOC wiki page on R35. It's length was nearly exactly the length as listed for "Boards of Canada - Unknown - Track 13" (1:47 compared to 1:46 as listed on the old page) although the file I downloaded was actually titled "Boards_Of_Canada_-_Track_13".

What really convinces me that this is the exact file is that not only are the encoding settings, mono tack and length of the file the same but more importantly (something which was not mentioned in the page itself) is that at the end of this copy of A13 it suddenly switches over to the first two seconds of B12 which is the other only track that reportedly along side it. I can only theorize that for some reason someone had a copy of an audio file that contained the shortened copies of A12 and A13 glued together and when it was leaked it was poorly split into two separate audio files and encoded at 32kbps.

And unlike the fade less and low fidelity copy of R35 that I lost on my hard drive that suffered from sticktion I actually uploaded this exact file to Discord and sent it as a playable file on this forum on a long dead thread as of now. So I now have a copy of the file and will now share it to y'all again if anyone is interested. I really hope someone appreciates this file as much as I did when I first found it among a sea of common 320 and 192kbps copies that everyone already had. It's not the quality that matters but the significance of the early date it leaked at that does, in my opinion at least.

Allas, the file itself.
phpBB [media]

TL:DR I think I found an exact copy of a R35 track that leaked before the main batch of tracks did in 2004. I think.

New Seed
Flory... around 2001 right before Geogaddi got leaked there was an argument on a old forum which was frequented by a lot of people involved with that scene about BOC older material not being real (Aka the Cosmic Crofter stuff). Some one in the forum then leaked 2 tracks that were uploaded in RealAudio format. (This is really early days of streaming stuff. Like Limewire didnt even exist yet). Im pretty sure the dude leaked on first and then no one beleaved him then a 2nd track was added and said he was gonna release the rest. Shit hit the fan since lot of people like UZiq and pretty sure Cosmic Crofter too were basically freaking out about it and the rest didnt get leaked till years later. The reason that file sounds sooo bad and such a low quality cause the RA its based on is really really bad quality.

Sherbet Head
cstalin wrote:Flory... around 2001 right before Geogaddi got leaked there was an argument on a old forum which was frequented by a lot of people involved with that scene about BOC older material not being real (Aka the Cosmic Crofter stuff). Some one in the forum then leaked 2 tracks that were uploaded in RealAudio format. (This is really early days of streaming stuff. Like Limewire didnt even exist yet). Im pretty sure the dude leaked on first and then no one beleaved him then a 2nd track was added and said he was gonna release the rest. Shit hit the fan since lot of people like UZiq and pretty sure Cosmic Crofter too were basically freaking out about it and the rest didnt get leaked till years later. The reason that file sounds sooo bad and such a low quality cause the RA its based on is really really bad quality.

First off, congrats on your first post and thanks for joining Twoism!

Secondly this actually makes for a very plausible explanation for the situation. I can defiantly see someone encoding the downloaded RA files and merging them into one file and then later being split into two files again and being encoded through LAME instead. Sounds very plausible in my head but not sure what others might think and of course their prob are some flaws in this explanation. But over all still very plausible.

Now I am aware that what I'm about to ask is in regards to a two decade old memory that most people wouldn't be able to remember. But by any chance do you remember what the name of the Forum by chance?
I ask even because if the forum is long defunct and not online we can still use the Wayback Machine to search through archives to find potential captures of threads and track down the exact thread, which even if unlikely is still worth the pursuit and quite the fun endeavor over all.

New Seed
I do not remember the name. It wasnt the IDM mailing list and Im pretty sure it was before Xltronic.com was a thing. One thing I do remember though was when all those tapes leaked and Joyrex was lying saying they were fake that leak from that forum and another older one for the mailing list was what was used to call him out on lying.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada