Origin of the Random 35 Tracks Tape?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Pardon me if this is painfully obvious and I'm somehow missing it, but does anyone know where the R35TT came from?
Who ripped it? I think it was ripped it Sep 2004 based on some various sites, and where did he post it to?

Is there a link to the original thread? If it's even findable... My biggest fear is that its a total mystery that was ripped with no further information, but it's likely it could be that.

Anyone know anything?

Dayvan Cowboy
Someone in a trade circle that involved Joyrex. He claims he has an unlabeled copy of the tape.

My theory about it though is that it was leaked either by BOC themselves or a Hexagon Sun member to quell people clamoring for the tapes without actually giving us the track names. Look at it this way, it lets us hear their "unreleased tapes' while still creating a mystery in line with the rest of their discography.

Maybe this was to tide us over while the mythical bocset came out.

I feel this is also why MDG didn't elaborate on the music on these tapes too and just dubbed it "a mystery."
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:Someone in a trade circle that involved Joyrex. He claims he has an unlabeled copy of the tape.

My theory about it though is that it was leaked either by BOC themselves or a Hexagon Sun member to quell people clamoring for the tapes without actually giving us the track names. Look at it this way, it lets us hear their "unreleased tapes' while still creating a mystery in line with the rest of their discography.

Maybe this was to tide us over while the mythical bocset came out.

I feel this is also why MDG didn't elaborate on the music on these tapes too and just dubbed it "a mystery."

Yeah, Hexagon Sun members leaking it could be very plausible. As I don't see another way for someone to have ever got their hands on the tape, unless it was sold online like AFOT.

Posts Quantity
The history is on https://rareboc.ax.lt/

They weren't posted on websites, they were found on Soulseek and Audiogalaxy.

Dayvan Cowboy
Speaking of R35TT someone is selling a cassette of it on Ebay and claiming it's legit and an IDM grail. Definitely a fake judging by the artwork but people are actually bidding on it for some reason

Eagle Minded
Yeah it is fake. Unless a friend of theirs made a tape duplicate I 100% doubt they would use a shitty type 1 tape. Every other confirmed tape that they actually gave are all type ii high bias or above. Not to mention that the artwork used is well-known fan art. Plus it was a fan that named it as such. The only way I would ever agree with anyone about a type 1 tape being used by them is if it was a tape of nothing but lo-fi samples as type i is a thinner tape that will almost always suffer from loads of hiss, drop-outs in audio, or high-frequency cancellation... they do sound good with individual instrument samples and spoken word but for a full tape, i doubt that is what they would give anyone

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip wrote:Yeah it is fake. Unless a friend of theirs made a tape duplicate I 100% doubt they would use a shitty type 1 tape. Every other confirmed tape that they actually gave are all type ii high bias or above. Not to mention that the artwork used is well-known fan art. Plus it was a fan that named it as such. The only way I would ever agree with anyone about a type 1 tape being used by them is if it was a tape of nothing but lo-fi samples as type i is a thinner tape that will almost always suffer from loads of hiss, drop-outs in audio, or high-frequency cancellation... they do sound good with individual instrument samples and spoken word but for a full tape, i doubt that is what they would give anyone

I feel sorry for people who are bidding on it. Unless they just want it for the sheer novelty of having it on tape

Friendly Stranger
from what I heard that A13, A14 & B13 got leaked before 2004, maybe during that time when Old Tunes leaks came out on the internet (mid-late 2003 i think)

Sherbet Head
Michi-LFG wrote:from what I heard that A13, A14 & B13 got leaked before 2004, maybe during that time when Old Tunes leaks came out on the internet (mid-late 2003 i think)

Supposedly A14 was floating around labeled as Godever long before the rest of the tape leaked, I haven't seen any firsthand evidence of this though.
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Friendly Stranger
Michi-LFG wrote:from what I heard that A13, A14 & B13 got leaked before 2004, maybe during that time when Old Tunes leaks came out on the internet (mid-late 2003 i think)

https://soundcloud.com/eccolino/sets/og-r35tt OG leaks of R35TT (2003).

Eagle Minded
Michi-LFG wrote:

https://soundcloud.com/eccolino/sets/og-r35tt OG leaks of R35TT (2003).

Link doesnt work

Posts Quantity
The name "Random 35 Tracks Tape" wasn't the common name used for it until about 2009/2010.

For many years after it leaked, this was mainly referred to as "Old Tunes Vol. 1". There was AFOT, OTV1 and OTV2. Then in 2009 it was found that AFOT and OTV1 are the same tape. So the 35 track one needed a new name then.

New Seed
Actually parts of it leaked way before people think. Before Geogaddi came out someone was leaking tracks from it on a old IDM forum. They were in Real Audio format. I had saved at least 2 of them before the user stopped posting them and took them down and never explained why.

New Seed
At this point Im pretty sure that the Cosmic Crafter started posting stuff like Closes Vol.3 and Acid Memories on the Boards Of Canada website cause the Old Tunes tapes started getting shared and it was to throw people off the game while acknowledging their is older stuff out there.

Friendly Stranger
My thoughts on R35TT:

The R35TT doesn't have a name because it's something that one person put together, rather than OT 1&2 which were distributed as demo tapes by the band.

OT v1 was stuff that was more current to the time (c1995) and OT v2 is mostly much older, from late 80s when they were doing EBM/tape college style material.

I believe R35TT is a compilation of OT v1, Closes v1, Play By Numbers and some other random things. I imagine it was put together in 1997 from the reissued CD releases, probably for the compiler to play alongside BOC Maxima. The sound is pretty uniform between the tracks so it doesn't sound like it was put together from different cassette tapes. There's no Acid Memories stuff on there because I don't think that was reissued on CD, same for Hooper Bay.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:

"A mistery".

Now. isn't. that. suspicious.

Nova Scotia Robot
I grabbed the rips from prince murat in September 2004. IIRC, there were even some rips from that same tape done sometime in 2003 and other rips earlier as mentioned by LGOD, but weren't fully and more publicly shared until Sept 2004. So a couple of the tracks could've easily been passed out under the radar of most. Godever being one of those tracks.

R35TT is not simply a compilation of the old albums, it's a very randomly put together mix of old tunes whether on an old album or not. That's all. The "mystery" MDG spoke of is only who put all these random old tunes together so strangely to tape and then ripped/uploaded them.

Thatch:
Yes, it was ripped from the same cassette, but seemingly random tracks were put onto that cassette from multiple sources. As if someone put together their favourites from what they got to hear or perhaps made a playlist for some specific purpose that only that person who made the tape would have known. What we do know though is that It was not put together by Mike or Marcus. It was also not leaked by Mike or Marcus. They went into super security mode after it got leaked, it seems. The amount of people they trusted with certain things got smaller. Hard to blame them. They're trying to do something special with their art.

Nova Scotia Robot
I also very much doubt you will ever find legitimate old tunes tapes on ebay ever again. Legitimate tapes have went up there before and things were swiftly taken care of and removed. Anyone who has a remaining legitimate copy at this point knows what they are not allowed to do. You'll have the same luck buying tickets to their upcoming live show entitled "We don't care because Richard advised us not to. (feat Justin Beaver)".

Boqurant
LGOD wrote:Actually parts of it leaked way before people think. Before Geogaddi came out someone was leaking tracks from it on a old IDM forum. They were in Real Audio format. I had saved at least 2 of them before the user stopped posting them and took them down and never explained why.

Would you happen to still have these files? And do you remember what forum that was?

Posts Quantity
I'm not sure of when it first appeared on the net (I believe 2003) but I'm certain it was made in 1992 or 1993, as some sort of personal demo tape. The brothers probably only made 1 copy of this for someone, which explains why mdg has no idea what it is. Otherwise, it's a mixtape by a friend, who isn't part of Hexagon Sun.
Fly!

Next

Return to Boards of Canada