A BOC album with vocals?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 1662
Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
I feel like this is going to be controversial, but I'd like to know if anyone has thoughts/feelings on something like this? They did guitars on TCH, which was polarizing at the time (but, I think is now pretty accepted?), and they're no stranger to catering to vocalists with their remix work/artists occasionally singing over their songs.

The music landscape's changed so much in terms of it becoming overly homogenous in the mainstream, but full of wonderful amalgamations elsewhere. Boards of Canada could toss us an album completely out of leftfield of what they've done and I wouldn't be very surprised.

Thread partly inspired by Oneohtrix Point Never winding up performing on Jimmy Fallon.
phpBB [media]
BUY MY MUSIC AND SIGN ME: Twenty20k.com

747Music wrote:dont go up there!!! the music is down by the truck!
Forest_Opal wrote:Mexicolas a spooky person.
Josh wrote:Sometimes I would pay money for 1:46 of silence.

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 768
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
I mean, if Blackstar era Ziggy Stardust is going to be the vocalist I'm totally down ;)

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1180
Joined: 21 Apr 2013
I would love to see that. It would be at least interesting.
Image

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 263
Joined: 19 Apr 2018
Location: Davenport, IA
Low Roar’s more electronic based stuff is really good, and the vocals are phenomenal. I’m not too sure if BoC + Vocals would work, but i agree it would have to be something Bowie like.
MUSIC70INTHEHOSUE

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 311
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
I was going to make the Oneohtrix Point Never comparison and you beat me to it ... prior to Garden of Delete, I would've shuddered @ the thought of Daniel including vocals in one of his albums. Now I love it. I think it'd be fascinating to hear BoC with vocals.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 768
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
I welcome vocals because BOC have the innate ability of making annoying/weak vocals, likeable and catchy. I don't think I would like Dead Dogs, Mr. Mistake or Good Friday if it wasn't for the context BOC put them in with their music.

As for how media outlets like Pitchfork would react to a vocal album? I'm sure they'd slag it as a gimmick-much like TCH's guitar-even if the music was really awesome. I'm still confused how adding guitars to your otherwise melodically impeccable album would warrant a 7 grade from Pitchfork.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 233
Joined: 23 Apr 2013
Location: california
Maybe they’ll include some Wheeltower in the BoC Set.
preparation for a dive.

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 509
Joined: 23 May 2013
OPNs effort is the quality of a schoolkids first love song, really fucking weak lyrically and melodically but it will hit some feels for lots of basic bitches so all good. It is catchy though so...
That would be the worry of BoC doing the same, they are mature and in their own league with their music style so if they try and move into more traditional song structures then they could easily lose their footing and come across amateur.
You could feel the bullshit

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1180
Joined: 21 Apr 2013
BOX with vocals would definitely provide more wow moments. Best example, same track one with vocals, another without. Your choice.
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Image

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 389
Joined: 14 Mar 2018
Some of their songs already have vocals, albeit heavily vocoded (i.e. "we all fall down" from Music is Math). I could see them expanding on that aspect of their sound.

I'd be very surprised if BoC released an album I didn't like. Up to now, their artistic judgment has been impeccable. I wouldn't be terribly surprised, and I'd be excited to hear what they'd do with it.

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 768
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Geogandhi wrote:OPNs effort is the quality of a schoolkids first love song, really fucking weak lyrically and melodically but it will hit some feels for lots of basic bitches so all good. It is catchy though so...


In all fairness to OPN, I think his production is what made this song good on his album. It was supposed to be coming out of a diseased radio station, so to have this little alt-rock pop punk song processed through hell was actually kind of fun.

Probably the closest we're going to get to a Third Reich and Roll for modern pop music in this era.

That said, OPN does have a lot of dicking around in his catalog. But that's totally fair for an artist who experiments a lot and exists in an era where a large amount of creative ideas have been used up.

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 768
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Echelon wrote:
Geogandhi wrote:OPNs effort is the quality of a schoolkids first love song, really fucking weak lyrically and melodically but it will hit some feels for lots of basic bitches so all good. It is catchy though so...


In all fairness to OPN, I think his production is what made this song good on his album. It was supposed to be coming out of a diseased radio station, so to have this little alt-rock pop punk song processed through hell was actually kind of fun.

Probably the closest we're going to get to a Third Reich and Roll for modern pop music in this era.

That said, OPN does have a lot of dicking around in his catalog. But that's totally fair for an artist who experiments a lot and exists in an era where a large amount of creative ideas have been used up.


Actually pardon that last bit, I wasn't thinking when I wrote it. I should have said, "he's got a lot of thoughtful experiments that don't always work out."

That said, I really like OPN when he's successful. Definitely the best depicter of a post-modern, internet age hell.

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 955
Joined: 31 May 2007
Location: London / Scotland
Outside of remixes there's only one example of BOC with vocals that's really worked for me and it was totally unexpected.

phpBB [media]


Still love that. I guess they could release something like Tweaker (Chris Vrenna ex of NIN) with various guest vocalists which definitely worked..but I still want to hear Boards clearly behind it all.

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 3326
Joined: 25 Mar 2011
Location: BPR. OG
Can't find the "thumbs was always up and trust 100% they'd do it perfectly" emoticon.
mechanismj wrote:'Round these parts they would tend to be meatheads and jocks. Never could figure that out.

Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 288
Joined: 3 Sep 2008
Location: On a beach in Argentina
Twoist wrote:Outside of remixes there's only one example of BOC with vocals that's really worked for me and it was totally unexpected.

phpBB [media]


Still love that. I guess they could release something like Tweaker (Chris Vrenna ex of NIN) with various guest vocalists which definitely worked..but I still want to hear Boards clearly behind it all.


Came to post that, both Solange remixes were not bad at all though it was a little controversial when she posted them.
˙dn ǝʞɐM
˙ǝıl ɐ sı ʇıppǝɹ

Return to Boards of Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests