Counting in A:B:B:C sample found

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Finally! I jumped out of the couch after hearing the counting.
phpBB [media]
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Boqurant
WaitingFor_22 wrote:Finally! I jumped out of the couch after hearing the counting.
phpBB [media]

Yeah I remember de-frequency-shifting the counting in A:B:B:C and revealing what it was supposed to sound like. Great job at finding the sample!
Image ImageImage

Eagle Minded
WaitingFor_22 wrote:Finally! I jumped out of the couch after hearing the counting.
phpBB [media]

Amazing!
preparation for a dive.

Eagle Minded
Nice find. Are you adding these to bocpages?
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Eagle Minded
WaitingFor_22 at it again, well done!!!

Posts Quantity
ZosoCon wrote:WaitingFor_22 at it again, well done!!!

Haha thanks mate.

Now we wait for someone to make the spanish or french remix: A es a B como B es a C. :D

Boqurant
this guy... holy yes! keep em coming :')

Happy Cycler
You're amazing!

Have you tried finding any of the missing Societas X tracks by any chance? :wink:

Posts Quantity
egbdf wrote:Nice find. Are you adding these to bocpages?

Yep!
mechanismj wrote:Have you tried finding any of the missing Societas X tracks by any chance? :wink:

Only the "Hippie vignette" but damn that one is difficult.

Boqurant
Hmm which track is the hippie vignette?

Posts Quantity
It's the one that goes "soon the queen will come our way"

Posts Quantity
I thought this sample has been on bocpages for many years. Was it there without the actual sample video or something?

Posts Quantity
writetomhatcher wrote:I thought this sample has been on bocpages for many years. Was it there without the actual sample video or something?

Bocpages only had the lyrics, but no source for this sample. I added it just a couple of days ago.

Posts Quantity
That's awesome--good work! There is a lot going on in that track, so I must have got something mixed up.

Dayvan Cowboy
Great find OP, one of the cooler things I've seen on this forum. So HOW did you come across this original track?

Dayvan Cowboy
WaitingFor_22 wrote:Only the "Hippie vignette" but damn that one is difficult.

I read this and thought I'd give it another go. Gave the track another listen and spent some time thinking "is it saying hillside or hillstar" and plugged that word into a few places just to see and I find every link on discogs that mentions "hillstar" is already purple. Nothing like getting all excited about finding a trail of footprints and then realising they're your own from months earlier :lol:

Posts Quantity
zeitgeist wrote:Great find OP, one of the cooler things I've seen on this forum. So HOW did you come across this original track?

Literally just looking for children's record to try and find something that would fit the theme of the lyrics.

There's yet another more interesting fact about this record which I didn't mention, and that is the label that produced it: Smithsonian Folkways Recordings. This is the same label that produced that Tony Schwartz' "Sound of Children" from which BoC used in "From One Source all Things Depend".

My theory is that they bought a bunch of records from this label (most likely children's records) and then they sampled some of them (hopefully more than just these two). For example, maybe that reversed nursery rhyme in "In the Annexe" is somewhere in there too.

I also came across a few folk records from Ethiopia and Eritrea which contain some really old recordings of this instrument called Embilta that sounds really similar to the flute in Kaini Industries, but I think I checked all of them and didn't find the sample.

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20FxpL3KiDA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuEuIUGz-MU

So to everyone that likes looking for samples, that label I think is a great place to look.

Eagle Minded
WaitingFor_22 wrote:
zeitgeist wrote:Great find OP, one of the cooler things I've seen on this forum. So HOW did you come across this original track?

Literally just looking for children's record to try and find something that would fit the theme of the lyrics.

There's yet another more interesting fact about this record which I didn't mention, and that is the label that produced it: Smithsonian Folkways Recordings. This is the same label that produced that Tony Schwartz' "Sound of Children" from which BoC used in "From One Source all Things Depend".

My theory is that they bought a bunch of records from this label (most likely children's records) and then they sampled some of them (hopefully more than just these two). For example, maybe that reversed nursery rhyme in "In the Annexe" is somewhere in there too.

After you found that sample I noticed that too, that the Tony Schwartz album is from the same producer/label. And exactly as you mentioned i thought of that In The Annexe sample source could have been from the same label. So I did some sleuthing to no avail haha. That children's song/lullaby is interesting and it's melody (snippet) has been ingrained in my head :D

Return to Boards of Canada