Kaini Industries end sample Source

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
So thanks to WaitingFor_22 leading the way, I was able to find what I think is the sample source of the end of Kaini Industries: Music of the Jívaro of Ecuador (1973). It's the combination of two tracks Calling an Enemy's Arutam Soul (Log Signal Drum Solo) and Song of Kungi, the Flute Bird (Flute Solo). They're both lowered in pitch and chopped up/sampled, but here's a close representation.
And here is the track along with the Kaini Industries sample for comparison.
(I'll update Bocpages I think on this one tomorrow).

Sherbet Head
Damn Zoso, you and WaitingFor_22 have really been knocking it out of the park with these sample finds lately! I didn't even know the end of Kaini was sampled from somewhere, always figured it was a recording of the bros jamming on a flute and drum that'd been artificially aged by about 50 years lmao
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Eagle Minded
Jango9 wrote:Damn Zoso, you and WaitingFor_22 have really been knocking it out of the park with these sample finds lately! I didn't even know the end of Kaini was sampled from somewhere, always figured it was a recording of the bros jamming on a flute and drum that'd been artificially aged by about 50 years lmao
Just trying to keep up with WaitingFor_22 haha. Yeah, it seems BoC are slightly a bit more sample-based than we thought. Btw, the key of finding this sample was the unique sound of the percussion and its rhythm, it's pretty distinctive. Turns out to be a log signal drum. 
Fun fact: according to the notes included with the album, the drummer of this track was under the influence of Ayahuasca (Natema drink). 

Sherbet Head
I always assumed that was a sample from a First Nations tribal ceremony. Never would've guessed it came from Ecuador.

Posts Quantity
Amazing discovery! Love these finds. I'm having a little trouble hearing the exact parts that boc chopped and used but I'll have another listen once I have my headphones. The flute is certainly spot on.
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Eagle Minded
Josh wrote:I always assumed that was a sample from a First Nations tribal ceremony. Never would've guessed it came from Ecuador.

WaitingFor_22 wrote:Amazing discovery! Love these finds. I'm having a little trouble hearing the exact parts that boc chopped and used but I'll have another listen once I have my headphones. The flute is certainly spot on.

Yeah def needs some help, was hard to pinpoint what they picked out...In fact there is a possibility that they used samples from a completely different source (like a First Nations ceremony), but they should be very similar to these Jívaro tracks at least. There's a lot of aboriginal source material out there that you can probably get really close to this Kaini sample if you manipulate it enough, which could be the case for this Jívaro sample.

Posts Quantity
It's pretty stunning to hear these potential origins of my favorite BoC sample all these years later... I too had assumed it was either just the brothers' Akai-ized acoustic jamming, or a Kainai Nation field recording...

Props to Zoso & 22 for your good ears & sample spotting stamina!
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

New Seed
Very cool find. However the more I listen to them and compare, I have to say I don't think they are the same samples used in Kaini. They definitely sound similar at first, but the melody is very different, and the drum pattern is different as well. In this flute recording, the guy is playing a similar little motif over and over which has a melody largely different than the one in Kaini. The main log drum hit that repeats has a very different tone as well. Even if you change the pitch and filter it and what not, it still doesn't match. Potentially if they took the individual flute hits and drum hits and programmed their own part from these samples, then maybe its possible, but I just can't see them doing that for something like this and I have a feeling its an entire take of the flute and drums. Cool find though regardless, and i'm sure the actual recording was from a similar region.

Eagle Minded
PsilocyBen wrote:Very cool find. However the more I listen to them and compare, I have to say I don't think they are the same samples used in Kaini. They definitely sound similar at first, but the melody is very different, and the drum pattern is different as well. In this flute recording, the guy is playing a similar little motif over and over which has a melody largely different than the one in Kaini. The main log drum hit that repeats has a very different tone as well. Even if you change the pitch and filter it and what not, it still doesn't match. Potentially if they took the individual flute hits and drum hits and programmed their own part from these samples, then maybe its possible, but I just can't see them doing that for something like this and I have a feeling its an entire take of the flute and drums. Cool find though regardless, and i'm sure the actual recording was from a similar region.
For sure a valid observation. And it definitely would be easier to use a straight up sample than extensively manipulating/chopping these two tracks together.

Eagle Minded
at this point these random sample finds excite me more than someone saying they found closesv1 in a thrift store or something
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Return to Boards of Canada