ROYGBIV "Trill" Sample Found / Ableton Remake

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
After coming across the Sesame Street "Lake!" sample on reddit and hearing the music that came before the kid saying "Lake!" in the episode, I had a hunch that the little trill used in ROYGBIV was sampled from the same episode. After much searching and trial and error, I successfully found and recreated the trill used in ROYGBIV. Its a very short sample of a banjo/flute, which I was able to recreate it by high and low pass filtering, adding delay, and automating the volume and stretching the flute at the end. I've recreated the entire song in Ableton Live, and walkthrough the parts and how I recreated the trill below. For years I've always wondered about this little trill so it was very cool to finally find the source. Hope you enjoy!

ROYGBIV Ableton Remake with Walkthrough:
https://youtu.be/86ETKgISGVI

Sesame Street Episode with Samples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=678&v=9j4kXWTJXLE&feature=emb_title
Trill Sample is at 11:36
Lake! Sample is at 11:58

Posts Quantity
Your covers are awesome. Do you have any original tracks?

Boqurant
Hmm, could that banjo be the one at the end of Chromakey Dreamcoat?

Eagle Minded
Really impressive!
lone.bandcamp.com

Eagle Minded
Damn dude. Spot on. Did it take long to get that Piano track right?

Dayvan Cowboy
Spot on! Really impressed

Posts Quantity
Amazing! Thanks for sharing the recreation
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Eagle Minded
Great find and great cover!
yes, i would love to be free!

Happy Cycler
Damn! This is awesome! Well done!

Crazy how you spotted that trill. I was skeptic right up to the point where you played the entire track. It fits perfectly!

Eagle Minded
And The Best Ears Of The Year Award goes to you. Incredible you actually spotted this.

Posts Quantity
Was just watching your Peacock Tail live cover, amazing stuff
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Friendly Stranger
PsilocyBen wrote:After coming across the Sesame Street "Lake!" sample on reddit and hearing the music that came before the kid saying "Lake!" in the episode, I had a hunch that the little trill used in ROYGBIV was sampled from the same episode. After much searching and trial and error, I successfully found and recreated the trill used in ROYGBIV. Its a very short sample of a banjo/flute, which I was able to recreate it by high and low pass filtering, adding delay, and automating the volume and stretching the flute at the end. I've recreated the entire song in Ableton Live, and walkthrough the parts and how I recreated the trill below. For years I've always wondered about this little trill so it was very cool to finally find the source. Hope you enjoy!

ROYGBIV Ableton Remake with Walkthrough:
https://youtu.be/86ETKgISGVI

Sesame Street Episode with Samples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=678&v=9j4kXWTJXLE&feature=emb_title
Trill Sample is at 11:36
Lake! Sample is at 11:58
That’s it! Great job dude

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posts Quantity
Skills!

New Seed
Mansin wrote:Hmm, could that banjo be the one at the end of Chromakey Dreamcoat?

It’s funny you ask, I’ve always been obsessed with that outro. I’ve actually already recreated it but I’ve never been happy with my banjo/string part (whatever it is) so I haven’t shared it yet. Maybe I’ll take another shot at it.

New Seed
ZosoCon wrote:Damn dude. Spot on. Did it take long to get that Piano track right?

It did! For some reason that was one of the hardest sounds for me to get right. It seems like it would be one of the easiest but it’s something with how their piano is colored. I can’t tell if it’s some type of chorus, just the piano they have and they way they recorded/miced it, or some other crazy effect, but I had a really hard time getting the piano to sound the same. I ended up just doubling the piano track, panning hard L and R, and slightly adjusting the timing on one so there’s a natural chorus like effect. I think it sounds good now but it’s the one instrument that’s very different from the original IMO.

On a side note, there’s actually a low pass filter that’s supposed to be opening and closing with an LFO throughout the track but I accidentally disabled the automation when I recorded the video and didn’t realize til after.

New Seed
mechanismj wrote:Damn! This is awesome! Well done!

Crazy how you spotted that trill. I was skeptic right up to the point where you played the entire track. It fits perfectly!

Thanks! It took me a little while to spot it. I was about to give up, but then listening closely to the original song, you can hear a little flute play the higher notes right after the trill, so then realized it had to be the trill right after the first “lake!”. I tried my best to recreate it in the video, but I couldn’t find a way to record Ableton audio while also monitoring it, so in the video I was doing everything visually and from memory without hearing what I was doing (that’s why the trill that plays in the full song sounds a bit more accurate than when I was recreating it live).

Amazing! Shared on bocpages Facebook.

Return to Boards of Canada