News & Findings

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

This topic will provide summaries with interesting news and findings, especially convenient if you think our general new release speculation topic (almost 1k pages) is quite a lot to handle. :D

** update 26th of May 2022 **
Timeline of interesting events: https://bocpages.org/wiki/Timeline

Don't forget to bring a pinch of salt.

PS: We also have a Twoism.org discord server with a similar summaries channel.

We commence with some information about the Hell Interface events that started the 5th of April.

mthrndr wrote:On 30 September 2013, a video was posted in the comments of the Neptuneful YouTube channel that parodied his video explaining one of BoC's chord motifs. That video was by an account called Sheol Boundary. Neptuneful never thought much of it but did comment on it here at twoism back in 2013. The Sheol Boundary account had a modified, inverted-color Whitney Houston image as its profile pic. The parody video was quite well done, mimicking the original video exactly including wrong notes, and appears to use a sample of the Red Moss synth that would be really hard to recreate unless you had the exact patch.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Backup:
phpBB [media]

Recently (several pages ago in this thread) it was discovered that the Pioneer blue Hexagon banner posted to the HI bandcamp account, which has been used by official BoC accounts including HI YouTube page, had the creation date of 30 September 2013. Fredd-E, curator of the bocpages, confirms that that the bandcamp account is an official BoC account. It seems highly unlikely that this image and the Sheol video would have the exact same create date if they were unrelated (although not impossible).

Then last week, the HI Facebook page, until recently unconfirmed to be official BoC, posted some new material, including a weird video of the raiders of the lost ark nazi face melting, singing James Brown's "I feel good", and a true color image of the exact Whitney Houston profile pic from the Sheol Boundary account. It has since blacked out both the profile pic and the video.

phpBB [media]

Assuming Fredd-E is correct that the HI bandcamp is legit, the above links together Sheol Boundary, Hell Interface Bandcamp, and Hell Interface facebook, and makes it highly likely that the brothers are pulling off some mischief.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I was originally skeptical about the Facebook activity but now I'm pretty convinced that at least Hexagon Sun is behind this, and it seems very discordian to me.
source: viewtopic.php?p=296773#p296773

PS: Enhanced the original quote with some hyperlinks and media.

This was definitely news.

Mansin wrote:
phpBB [media]

Bonus: They used the "Open the Light" webloop sample.

Better late putting this here than never. ;)
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

I like this theory. But as always: bring some salt!

Echelon wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:“I live in the same town as one of the brothers, I see him in Asda believe it or not. I have a close friend that knows Marcus and he had been going on that a new album was being made but it ended up in a queue in some sort of production line I believe. Anyway time will tell but I’m looking forward to it myself, remember to come back here when it drops”

Pre-requisite: Last year, BOC posted a banner with new art on their Hell Interface channel on Sep 6th, and we were all trying to make sense of it. I might finally have an idea about that.

Re: It being held up on the production line. Warp hired a supply chain manager in July, probably to deal with getting large amounts of products out to consumers in these trying times. Another huge artist, Flylo, is only getting his physical release for Yasuke released on the 24th of September when the digital album dropped at the start of the year. If what Jamie said is true, it's out of their hands and they're waiting on Warp to make their next move.

I'm starting to think the Pioneer's Plaque indicates the time they finished, sort of like the atom bomb banner for Tomorrow's Harvest, which also got held up at the production line. Could simply be them telling us they've submitted it to Warp.

Imagine Mike and Marcus tirelessly working through 2020 and at last, posting the plaque as a way of telling the world, "We've finished our next album."
source: viewtopic.php?p=299717#p299717

Some proper followup theory. Love it!

NTFMTS wrote:Considering Fredd-E's post in the sticky thread about the theory that their Pioneer Plaque activity was the announcement of a finished album, like how their atomic bomb banner was the same with TH, and the timing with the HI "I Feel Good" video and activity on their various online accounts, I think they did this with the intention of injecting interest in the community. So therefore, I think that was them declaring they are back with a new album, and it is somewhere along the production line. They're just waiting on Warp to move the process along and I bet it won't be too long till we get more info or something even better. Warp could be playing coy because hints about anything new might be exactly what they don't want to spill out.

EDIT: Also I'm still convinced the "Turn that Smile Upside Down" adult swim bump was breadcrumbs left by them in a similar way, something that they knew fans could possibly pick up on, and again I reiterate, the bump echoes the HI "I Feel Good" video with the same vibe. I'm waiting to be proven wrong, but it all seems pretty on the nose for them to do this kind of stuff. Their activity reflects that they know something is coming not so long from now
source: viewtopic.php?p=299926#p299926

Echelon wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:and the timing with the HI "I Feel Good" video

Maybe "I Feel Good" was their way of partying. Maybe there was an update in the production queue that gave them a reason to celebrate
source: viewtopic.php?p=299935#p299935

Orbited insanitarium wrote:
vapordracula wrote:sorry did i skip something? whats this about information leaking about there being albums coming from???

Well BoC have tweeted yesterday (which they haven’t done since 2019) and they’ve liked some people asking for a new album. On the other hand, we have two people who claim that they have met our boys (one called ‘jamieboy’ on a comment I spotted on youtube) and another on the reddit version of this thread. they both say that the album(s) are in a production line. Except the second guy on reddit says there’s a few being completed (and they will end up in a production queue)
source: viewtopic.php?p=300214#p300214

Fredd-E wrote:
Biznasty wrote:WARNING SKEPTICISM AHEAD: However if the banner change was to signify a large step towards release like the mushroom cloud banner for TH did, then that could also mean they've only just finished the music and they still have all the meetings and planning and artwork and packaging and legal stuff and vinyl/cds manufacturing and this and that and this and that and etc. etc. etc. etc. ... . .. .... . . . .. . to go through. Add onto that BOC time and we're still a ways out...

Either way though, the banner change is a huge event and both mean that we're at a 'when', not an 'if'. :D

Personally though I subscribe to the "everything is done and they're waiting for the records" theory because I'm an optimistic fuck and me wanty a new boccy.

Luckily the banner change is already over one year ago. A lot can happen in one year I reckon. The artistic process, the actual writing of the music, is what takes the longest time, I think.

Let's have a look at a brief timeline of events:
March 21th 2020
YouTube comments by Jaimieboy on "Boards Of Canada - Boc Maxima (Full Album) HQ Edition" Image
PS: I've contacted the guy and I've got no reason to believe he's a troll. So there's that.

September 2020:
Hell Interface YouTube Channel: Pioneer plaque banner (possible metaphor for announcing the new album?)
PS: Noteworthy they changed their HI page's banner. So maybe we get a HI inspired album?

April 2021:
Hell Interface "I feel good" video (possible metaphor for them celebrating having reached another big milestone in the production process?) (ps: again a HI related update)
phpBB [media]

read more context here: viewtopic.php?p=296775#p296775

July 2021:
Warp hired a new Supply Chain Manager (shipping BoC worldwide? a daunting task!)

About a month ago:
Jaimie recently backed this one up on my bocpages Instagram account. So there's that.

Now:
Video posted on Instagram. Official BoC social accounts (Twitter and Instagram mainly) are liking posts such as "new album please?".[

Make of that what you want, but it definitely increases my optimism a notch. :D

https://instagram.com/bocpages < if you're not following bocpages yet :idea:
source: viewtopic.php?p=300269#p300269

Echelon wrote:https://www.beatink.com/products/list.php?artist_id=4
Small reason to have hope: This page. Beatink updates this banner on the top of the page with a featured artist. 3/4 artists were Warp IDM royalty: Squarepusher, Aphex and Flylo. Currently it’s at Flylo and hasn’t changed for any other artist. Not Nightmares on Wax or Mira Calix.
What can be assumed by this, is they only change it for the hugest artists on the label. So perhaps the next huge artist hasn’t happened yet for Japan.
This theory is as out-to-lunch as usual. But hey, it’s the speculation thread and really, what else do we have to go off of.
source: viewtopic.php?p=300537#p300537

Fredd-E wrote:Warp Records and Bleep announced Autechre reissues today. Chiastic Slide and LP5.
Bleep liked an interesting comment on Instagram.
Fuel for speculation? :idea:

To me this seems more signifcant than when BoC liked a comment a few days ago.
Why? It's Bleep who puts out the music. :!:

source: viewtopic.php?p=300624#p300624

sandrail wrote:Did anyone notice how the comment section on Uuh was unlocked 2 weeks ago? Pretty sure you have to do that manually. Interesting. The discussion tab was also removed. It was mainly us twoismers shitposting.
source: viewtopic.php?p=301491#p301491

PS: Might be a good idea to refresh your memory by reading the first posts in this thread again.
PS2: I don't know what to believe anymore with this Sheol Boundary account. The fact MDG hasn't shut it down publicly makes me believe it's genuine, but on the other hand who is in the best position to create such an accurate parody video? Well I guess the owner of the original video is. I leave it up to you to decide.

SamuraiDrifter wrote:I wouldn't call it random. They clearly pay close attention to fan videos and frequently acknowledge good ones. This specific video (EGBDF's original) called out and analzyed one of their compositional tricks, which is exactly the sort of video I could see them responding to.

Also, it was right after Tomorrow's Harvest was released, so they were probably enjoying a break before getting back to work on their next project.
source: viewtopic.php?p=301566#p301566

2020k wrote:
phpBB [media]

https://lone.bandcamp.com/track/boards- ... ed-by-lone

Boards Of Canada - ROYGBIV (covered by Lone)

Exclusive to Bandcamp. Pay what you want. Any money generated by the track will go directly to Mind mental health charity.

I’d just got a new synth and thought I’d test it out by trying to recreate that wonderful baseline. It quickly got out of hand and by the end of the night I’d covered the entire thing.

Amazingly we’ve had the track officially OK’d by the band themselves which is lovely. I hope I did it some justice.

Thank you to everyone who has supported my music in 2021. Wishing you all love and inner peace X

Artwork by Oliver Furze
credits
released December 24, 2021
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Fredd-E wrote:

The Stargate zine tagged my @bocpages in their post on Instagram. I got notified of this in my DM section and there I asked for more context on their post. No response alas. They did however reshare the story I made about it on their account. I also commented on their post asking for more context, but again no answer. So either 1) they signed some sort of NDA until May, or 2) they like to ride on the BoC mystery waves and we shouldn't really hold our breath, yet. Maybe it's just a Geogaddi 20 feature.
source: viewtopic.php?p=303799#p303799

Fredd-E wrote:
Josh wrote:Yes, thank you. I did figure that out. I was just a little weirded out by the whole "zine on IG" thing. I'm a geezer, not as old as M&M, but old enough to remember when zines were a niche thing. You found out about them through word of mouth, maybe on USENET, or a BBS, and you sent a check or money order to a post office box and then waited :lol: My initial reaction was a bit hostile, but I calmed down once I realized it wasn't restricted to IG.

Anyway, this Stargate zine seems interesting. I have no idea what BoC is providing for content, but I'm looking forward to it.

Yesterday I posted a quote from a 2005 interview on my instagram account and whilst browsing the same interview for other possible fun quotes I found this very interesting one:

My interview with Boards Of Canada is their third before the release of the new album "The Campfire Headphase" and thus they have done more interviews in a week than they have in the last eight years. After "Music Has the Right to Children" they got tired of being misinterpreted and therefore started communicating with the outside world only via email. Although not without restrictions. Excluding a mail interview with NME, they chose not to talk to any major magazines but instead gave smaller, more niche music magazines the opportunity to "talk" to them. The band then discovered that even silence and email interviews can be misinterpreted.
https://bocpages.org/wiki/De_var_forst_med
source: viewtopic.php?p=304123#p304123

Excellent summary post!
Biznasty wrote:Hi everyone, I sure hope you like reading.

Here's my full current theory for the next release, since I don't think I've said it in detail on here before.

I still suspect the next release will be the BoCset.

In 2008 mdg said in the famous "99% likely to happen" comment that "there's a new album coming out first". I always see people saying that BoC never tell us anything and they're so cryptic nowadays but they've already told us everything they need to... A new album (which obviously turned out to be Tomorrow's Harvest) is coming out, and then the BoCset. They've already told us that's what's next. :D

As for why it's been so long, well it's still pretty obvious to me.

It took them 8 years to make TH, but that was 8 years of self-imposed decreased studio time, becoming parents, having a life, redesigning their studio, and one of them moving to New Zealand for a while. Of course it took as long as it did... The big one though, is that BoC are perfectionists.

Additionally, in many of mdg's comments about the BoCset, he says that there's hundreds of songs per year that don’t make the cut. Now, I suspect that 1) he's exaggerating a bit, and 2) they aren't all full tracks. Many of them are probably 30 second riff ideas they recorded and shelved. Still, that's a lot of music to go through. Between the mythical five, the unreleased live songs, and the three old tunes tapes we have, they obviously do a lot of unreleased music, so I'll fully believe they have hundreds more on top of those.

So knowing just how much music they have, and adding on all the reasons I said that they have less studio time, and (the big one) that they are perfectionists, of course this is going to take a long time…

It should also be said that they wouldn’t spend all their studio time doing this. In ‘08 mdg said it was “an ongoing process in the background”. They started working through their archives in 2005 according to mdg, which means it's been 17 years since they started this. They also started production on Tomorrow’s Harvest directly after TCH as well, so work on the old tapes was probably few and far between. Even now they probably spend plenty of time also working on new ideas as well, which would again only delay the release of it even more.

‘Knowing’ BoC, it wouldn’t surprise me if they were going as far as to recreate many of their old songs to have them in better quality, on top of most likely editing and adding onto almost all of them. Richard’s soundcloud dump was probably the laziest way of releasing old music. Don’t worry I’m not shitting on him or his dump :lol:, I love so many of those tracks. But BoC would want to make sure their old music was in the best quality and presentation possible. Ripping a moldy cassette and throwing it on a secret soundcloud account doesn’t really qualify for quality…

Speaking of presentation, mdg said in 2007 that they had been working on putting their old music into 'chapters', which doesn't tell us a lot, but it says to me that they are putting a great deal of effort into the organization of it. The most notable activity from them recently is obviously the Pioneer banner which, if the nuclear banner for TH was anything to go off of, is a hint towards what’s next. The point of the Pioneer Plaque was to act as a record of humanity for other civilizations. That’s a perfect theme for presenting their old music.

Someone else's theory was that they uploaded the Pioneer banner as a way of saying the album was finished. Well I’ll add on and say that a year later, the deepfake vid could’ve been to say that it was approved or entering the production queue. The record industry is in shambles right now trying to work through a ghastly backlog and production scale back, all the while fighting an increasing demand. On top of that, that random commenter who claimed to have talked to one of the brothers said they have multiple records in the works. This BoCset would be massive so yeah ‘multiple records’ lines up. Also a release of this size would take a looooooong ass time to make physically, lmao.

I can’t find the actual comment, but apparently in 2011 PIC said they were working on multiple projects. Well they already told us, and everyone apparently forgot, that they started on the BoCset and Tomorrow’s Harvest at pretty much the same time…

Lastly, I think the inclusion of the short BoC minimix inside SxT, as well as the web loop version of Open The Light sample in Treat Em Right were done as hints. Reworking their old music, but stuff we’ve already heard because they don’t want to spoil anything.

(Side note, speaking of the Treat Em Right remix: Lex Records said it took months to receive the remix. That was one song… That right there is a pretty clear indication of how fast they work. No shit a backlog of hundreds of tracks is going to take them years).

As for the two contested Adult Swim bumps, I think they are BoC but I don’t really have any specific theory for how they relate or if they mean anything other than that it’s secret BoC music. Maybe we’ll hear those songs in the BoCset or maybe we won’t.

Maybe I’m just an optimistic new fan, but I strongly think we’ll get some really good news this year… May is just around the corner and I hope stargate proves fruitful. Every artist featured on the cover of their previous issues had an interview. The second issue had a multi-page write up on the Beastie Boys but they weren’t mentioned on the cover. I think it’s very very likely there’s an interview coming our way in May.

So, in conclusion, rev up those fryers, because I am sure hungry for one boccy plox.

TL;DR micus said 34 million years ago they were making the bocset so it HAS TO HAPPEN NOW THEY WOULDNT LIE TO US!!!!!!!111111111111111111
source: viewtopic.php?p=304150#p304150

Fredd-E wrote:BoC liked a tweet just recently. Color me excited! 8)
It's hard for me to believe they would do this if they were done making music. :idea:

source: https://twitter.com/timothy_wyld/status ... 5146540032
source: viewtopic.php?p=305432#p305432

drixlin wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:
drixlin wrote:Should try a more direct route:

"Retweet if a new album is on the way". Now THAT would get me more excited than all the likes put together. :mrgreen:

Your wish is my command:

https://twitter.com/bocpages/status/151 ... R4eyBPpXTg

Beautiful!

I don't expect them to react to something so blatantly obvious, but this is one of those situations where *if* they do, well...I guess we're not left guessing.

This might not be the retweet I asked for, but I'll take it. 8)

source: https://twitter.com/bocpages/status/1516081451271438338

It's been quiet in this topic, but nonetheless there have been updates since my previous post.

Please check out the Timeline for some interesting insights.

After 69 low key confirmations of things to come, via Twitter likes, we can finally agree upon this direct confirmation by MDG sent to our member babylulu. In total the official boctransmission account on Twitter liked about 395 tweets. Of those 395 tweets 69 specifically ask about new music.

ImageSource: https://twitter.com/bocpages/timelines/ ... 1662794752

babylulu wrote:Image

Confirmation from MDG himself. Album soon!
Source: viewtopic.php?p=307974#p307974

So what do we have now?
1) Boards of Canada is not done making music
2) TH is definitely not their final album
3) The twitter likes have always been meaningful, especially since 2016, they just take their time in between confirmation and delivery
4) We have no release time window, we only know that it's on its way

More on MDG

Biznasty wrote:so, so far today...

the @boardsofcanada mastodon account is wiped. (prior to 6:19am PST)

the Hades Antenna YouTube account is wiped (prior to 8:05am PST)

the @hellinterface mastodon account is wiped (prior to 10:20am PST)

the boards of canada reversed youtube playlist is unlisted or deleted (prior to 10:30am PST)

the Sheol Boundary YouTube account is wiped (prior to 10:52am PST)

the Uuh video is deleted.

the "✊" comment is deleted

the "Than kyo ufo rlist eni ng" comment is deleted
source: viewtopic.php?p=310343#p310343

https://mastodon.social/@boardsofcanada
https://mastodon.social/@hellinterface
https://youtube.com/@hellinterface
https://youtube.com/@SheolBoundary
https://youtube.com/@HadesAntenna

Biznasty wrote:
Biznasty wrote:
2022-11-22
the @boardsofcanada mastodon account is wiped. (prior to 6:19am PST)

the Hades Antenna YouTube account is wiped (prior to 8:05am PST)

the @hellinterface mastodon account is wiped (prior to 10:20am PST)

the boards of canada reversed youtube playlist is unlisted or deleted (prior to 10:30am PST)

the Sheol Boundary YouTube account is wiped (prior to 10:52am PST)

the Uuh video is deleted.

the "✊" comment is deleted

the "Than kyo ufo rlist eni ng" comment is deleted

2022-11-30

fredd-e noticed that the Featured Channels on the Boards of Canada YouTube channel have been removed. Which lead me to check if anyone else had noticed.

Unfortunately, we don't know when exactly they were removed. We're pretty sure they were still there on the 22nd, when all the other stuff was removed, but we can't be certain because no one ever screenshotted that page on that day.

Using the Wayback Machine, the best we can do is see that they were there on 2022-08-01

and according to niski, of the TMW discord server, they were already gone on 2022-11-27

and today, 2022-11-30, they are still missing

It's likely they were removed at the same time as everything else was, on 2022-11-22, and no one noticed.

If someone here could prove they were there any time after 2022-08-01, that would be very helpful.
source: viewtopic.php?p=310513#p310513

Next

Return to Boards of Canada