New remix of Nevermen

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
It's also quite ironic that people are worried about BoC saying something suggestive or offensive, I don't think "Treat em like a Prostitute" should be taken literally, and given the lyrical content, Nevermen are probably using the phrase in a critical way.

Posts Quantity
NTFMTS wrote:
writetomhatcher wrote:Yeah I’d love to see the lyrics. The song is “Treat em Right,” but I’m pretty sure they do no say those words during the song. It would be one thing if we heard them say “treat em right”—but I’m not sure why people are hearing “treat em” like a prostitute—there is no connection there. I am certain the refrain is “Dreamin like a prostitute.” Listen for the “dreaming”—there is no hard T sound in there.

in the lyrics of the og song they literally say "Treat Me Right" so the word Treat is directly lifted from that. It's easy to let your ears hear a difference that isn't there. The first line in the song is "Treat em like a Prostitute." Just listen to the song lol

I also don't really get the complaints about disliking the vocals, Patton, Adebimpe and Doseone all are lyrical, vocal geniuses

Hahaha they are saying "Dreamin" in the original :) There is also this review that backs this up: "“Treat Em Right” is where Nevermen takes off. Spacey and funky with a mantra of “Dreaming like a prostitute,” it spellbinds." https://spectrumculture.com/2016/02/04/ ... -nevermen/

Posts Quantity
The "You OK?" sample in the "Sometimes" remix was seen as a message from BOC to fans, by some fans, but yes, I agree with you all that the lyrics of this Nevermen track aren't suggesting something about BOC's music being transactional.

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:Hahaha they are saying "Dreamin" in the original :) There is also this review that backs this up: "“Treat Em Right” is where Nevermen takes off. Spacey and funky with a mantra of “Dreaming like a prostitute,” it spellbinds." https://spectrumculture.com/2016/02/04/ ... -nevermen/

Ah my bad, sorry man I didn't realize that. Now knowing that, again yeah reinforces your point about it not being a statement about transactional intention like you mentioned.

Again also brings up the irony of people taking issue with the nature of the lyrics, and the mentioning of the word "prostitute" in the song... do people remember that they made a whole ep about the Branch Davidians? BoC dance with controversy throughout their catalogue.

Dayvan Cowboy
writetomhatcher wrote:The "You OK?" sample in the "Sometimes" remix was seen as a message from BOC to fans, by some fans, but yes, I agree with you all that the lyrics of this Nevermen track aren't suggesting something about BOC's music being transactional.

I forgot about the "You ok?" message in Sometimes, but honestly, that felt more like a commentary to the fanbase than the lyrics of Treat Em Right which for the most part are indecipherable.

Sometimes also had indecipherable lyrics too. I feel they tend to choose songs where the words are extremely hard to pick out.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
It would be great to get some official lyrics to this tune. Although I guess the unknown is part of the fun. Like the Why? remix, I’m slowly figuring out the lyrics/message. Maybe one day soon I’ll have a draft we can look at.

Someone here mentioned the percussion elements that come in near the end. I listened to the song a ton when it first came out and never noticed that until they said something. That percussion is mixed so subtly—it’s just amazing how rich this track is for appearing so restrained.

Happy Cycler
Listened to this track for the first time walking up a misty forested mountain in Wales. Great experience.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

writetomhatcher wrote:Hahaha they are saying "Dreamin" in the original :) There is also this review that backs this up: "“Treat Em Right” is where Nevermen takes off. Spacey and funky with a mantra of “Dreaming like a prostitute,” it spellbinds." https://spectrumculture.com/2016/02/04/ ... -nevermen/

In what way does this interpretation of the lyrics by this one reviewer make it into a fact? You both could be hearing it wrong... :-) I still hear "treat em like a prostitute" and to me that still makes the most sense. It's obviously not meant to be taken literally.

Posts Quantity
Checking this forum pays dividends. I’m a month behind but holy crap!

A new boc track
**If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.**

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:

In what way does this interpretation of the lyrics by this one reviewer make it into a fact? You both could be hearing it wrong... :-) I still hear "treat em like a prostitute" and to me that still makes the most sense. It's obviously not meant to be taken literally.

True

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:

Never said it was a fact, dude. I said this review backs this theory up. We are in the thread to discuss this song, so I’m trying to get the conversation started about the lyrics. The reviewer hearing it is one thing. My ears hearing it is another (listen for the droopy delivery of the “dreaming”—there is no hard T as in “treat”). Listen to the effects on the voice emphasizing this rising, like the sample is being wound up. And the fact that they never say “Treat Em Right” is a third reason I’m sure they aren’t saying “treat em like a prostitute”—if the word “right” came instead of “prostitute” then we would obviously know the lyrics, but this isn’t a case of the hook being the title of the song. Lastly, why does your interpretation make more sense? The song video posted by Lex has a glossy turquoise tile floor with a wad of hundreds in a money clip—This is what a prostitute dreams about. Either way, whether the lyrics should be taken literally or tongue-in-cheek doesn’t really have any bearing on whether they said “Treat Em” or “Dreamin.”

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:Don't be a dick sam!

If i'm not mistaken, there is no instrumental so wishing for the original artist to fuck off from the mix is pretty cunty ;)

Guess what, there's an instrumental version coming out.

I get the last laugh hahaha

Friendly Stranger
Can't wait to give that a listen. I don't think it's been mentioned but the original is only 2:20 The remix clocks in at about 4:15. They got close to doubling the length of the track

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

If i'm not mistaken, there is no instrumental so wishing for the original artist to fuck off from the mix is pretty cunty ;)

Oh really? Party time then. Though honestly I loved the original so much I'd rather a totally new track then an instrumental.

Like a vampire, I've already sucked the potency out of Treat Em Right and I await the next BOC masterpiece :mrgreen:

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

Oh really? Party time then. Though honestly I loved the original so much I'd rather a totally new track then an instrumental.

Like a vampire, I've already sucked the potency out of Treat Em Right and I await the next BOC masterpiece :mrgreen:

Thought I'd add, I am grateful for an instrumental too. And I know that this will finally be able to convince my friend of Treat Em Right's worth since he hates the vocals.

Posts Quantity
I'd been hoping that the instrumental mix would surface, so much more detail in those synths - really nice to hear the colour pallets they're currently working with!

The drums are surprisingly complex too and the reverb is so perfectly balanced that you only notice it if you're actively listening for it

Also I love the tiny "robot" breakdown at 1:02 that drops to near silence, amazing stuff!

I reckon it'd take me about 20 years and a midlife crisis to craft a mix with that level of precision, I'm surprised the brothers have any hair left from the intense amount of focus and concentration they put into their work!

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

I reached out to the kind people over at Lex Records and as such I obtained the official lyrics. Enjoy!

Spoiler: show
Nevermen - ‘Treat Em Right’ Lyrics

“Treat em like a prostitute”

The big scare
that makes folks fill college and jail,
Is perfectly fair,
with its hospital head and coffin nail tail.

You lose…
People go to prison cause it fascinates them.
You choose…
So little when you’re pollen in the palm of the wind.

Treat em like a prostitute
Cause all villains A.D.
Make that killing off you.

You invent the alphabet to keep yourself busy,
sick pollen on barbed wire and man hands on fire.
You been MADE,
the globe aglow all safe on your blades.
Or are you crushed to colors under its weight.
Its true…
Like all good complex hydrogen models,
you too…
Shall, will, will, shall topple.

To the serpent full of workweeks and banks
To its day width ribs and digesting you lengths.

Cause all villains A.D.
Make that killing off you…

Sherbet Head
Fredd-E wrote:I reached out to the kind people over at Lex Records and as such I obtained the official lyrics. Enjoy!

Spoiler: show
Nevermen - ‘Treat Em Right’ Lyrics

“Treat em like a prostitute”

The big scare
that makes folks fill college and jail,
Is perfectly fair,
with its hospital head and coffin nail tail.

You lose…
People go to prison cause it fascinates them.
You choose…
So little when you’re pollen in the palm of the wind.

Cause all villains A.D.
Make that killing off you.

You invent the alphabet to keep yourself busy,
sick pollen on barbed wire and man hands on fire.
You been MADE,
the globe aglow all safe on your blades.
Or are you crushed to colors under its weight.
Its true…
Like all good complex hydrogen models,
you too…
Shall, will, will, shall topple.

To the serpent full of workweeks and banks
To its day width ribs and digesting you lengths.

Cause all villains A.D.
Make that killing off you…

Thank you for closing the case!

6sided420 wrote:"And one day we shall know" if an instrumental exists

And one day shall be this very day.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada