New remix of Nevermen

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
It’s a quite interesting take on their usual sound. I haven’t ever heard anything like it before. It’s nice to see them always go with the unexpected, as they usually do. Hearing it makes me wish there was a boc produced rap album. I'd love to hear something like that. It might not be the best of their remixes by far but it's still good. Its a nice listen and an interesting look at what's to come.

To be honest this is one of the only remixes where I prefer the original. Not discrediting the remix or anything, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
At least they're alive.
As much as I love Boards, this is garbage.

Friendly Stranger
p funny how i hated the mr mistake remix, but find this one aight. not a fan of the dead dogs two remix either, or beck's...

Dayvan Cowboy
Quite frankly, after this remix, I'm absolutely stumped on the direction they're going.

Mr. Mistake: Tomorrow's Harvest style track. Possibly an outtake
Sisters: Weird Enya vox plus synth riff
Sometimes: Delightful Davyan Cowboy style crescendo
Treat Em Right: Old school 90s hip-hop filtered through Music Has The Right To Children.

Perhaps they are as confused as we are :P
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
Enough vocal free bars in there for someone to remix into an instrumental, have at it……

Eagle Minded
KoA wrote:
Wildfire wrote:Really trying to enjoy this but I just can't. Bland and uninspiring. I think I preferred the mystery of radio silence.
Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth dude

It's okay to be honest.

Happy Cycler
Fredd-E wrote:I think it's a nice remix on its own, but I still wonder why they would reuse a familiar sound (open the light), this "laziness" kinda bothers me and has me doubting its legitimacy. Maybe it's the work of a hoaxer? Mind you, it's a very proper hoax then. The sound quality of this remix in my car was really pristine.

The track got uploaded to Youtube, Spotify, Apple Music,.. through "awal Digital Ltd" which is https://www.awal.com/ - I guess anyone can use this to upload fake tracks to popular streaming platforms? (Think of the Chameleon fake years ago).

So far no official channel has claimed this remix. Lex Records on Instagram didn't even mention it either. I messaged them to see what's up. I'll keep you all posted.

These days one has to be careful... but on the other hand bocpages is updated already. *shrugs*

PS: Is it even possible for anyone of us to make such a fake remix without having the original acapella vocal track? Guess not. So that would imply it's real...

To each their own.

But, to be fair, self reference and recurring musical themes and gestures are littered throughout their discography. This isn’t the first, and honestly I think it does a lot to give the track the breezy (albeit sleazy) vibe that it has. I’ve listened to it dozens of times since release. I take it as a good sign. I’d take a whole album of this kind of pop from them tbh.

Sherbet Head
I've had more time to digest this remix a bit and got in maybe a dozen more listens.

It's brilliant and honestly it's up there with the other Nevermen remix. I know some people give this remix some more crap compared to the other but whatev.

The little subtle synth stab on the right channel reminds me of the one you hear 25 seconds in B07.

The drums bassline of the remix brings me back to A12 and the reverb is just very reminiscent of R35TT.
The whole remix is sprinkled with A LOT of detail and I think it needs way more than a few listen to totally grasp the idea of it.

I give this a good 8/10 and on another note I'm half annoyed at the people just not caring about the remix much unless we get the instrumental version. I think the vocals add a lot to it and they're great. My only dislike with this remix is the mixing done to the middle channel vocals. And to say that the OTL sampling feels a bit lazy is yuk! it is barely 1% of the details in this track.
Suck my BUTT

Eagle Minded
I just listened to it for the first time, fantastic track with a new type of sound, super refreshing to hear!
There is a lot of things going on dispite the beat sounding simple, as should be expected, almost brings me back to a Seeya Later type vibe, but the mixing and mastering is super duper polished. I love the tiny gaps of silence after a verse, and the Open The Light sample was used perfectly, didn't feel out of place at all.
Seriously vibing this tune, as always they impress me, the last Neverman remix took a while to grow on me mainly because of the vocal feeling a bit overused on the remix, but this track the vocals feel just right, I dont have a single issue with them.

There is some magic hidden away in this track behind the funk, absolutely the kind of thing I love and expect from BoC, gonna give this remix a few more spins but my first impression is that it's absolutely wonderful, a perfect blend of funky and dreamy.

EDIT: okay, really weird reading everyone elses opinions of the remix after I posted this.... "The Opening The Light sample is lazy", cmon, so they should recreate a different arp? or just not have done it at all? It's mixed into the track beautifully, it's a nice callback and doesnt feel like it's the centre focus of the track, I thought it was a wonderful use of the sample!

Echelon wrote:Quite frankly, after this remix, I'm absolutely stumped on the direction they're going.

Mr. Mistake: Tomorrow's Harvest style track. Possibly an outtake
Sisters: Weird Enya vox plus synth riff
Sometimes: Delightful Davyan Cowboy style crescendo
Treat Em Right: Old school 90s hip-hop filtered through Music Has The Right To Children.

Perhaps they are as confused as we are :P

To me remixes are meant to be completely devoid of any LP themes or styles, I wouldnt guess what their next LP would sound like based off of their remixes. I really like that with EP's and remixes an artist can go and do whatever they want, that always makes me happy. Even on singles that are parts of compilations, such as Korona or Seven Forty Seven, tracks that have a completely unique sound devoid of any LP attachment.

Eagle Minded
Wildfire wrote:Really trying to enjoy this but I just can't. Bland and uninspiring. I think I preferred the mystery of radio silence.

Go listen to Magic Window then, fucker.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Dayvan Cowboy
Interesting question for the long-time BOC fans who've been around much longer than me: is this the most controversial remix they've ever done?

I loved it from the beginning even with the cheesy rap/hip-hop vocals. BOC's instrumental backing of the whole "Treat em like a prostitute" part is so perfect, it's almost like a call-and-response. And it's appropriately sleazy too.

I love how they took one of their purest tracks (Open the Light) and transformed it into something a lot more sinister. It's still got that 1970s educational film vibe, but now it's set in a brothel instead XD
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
Biznasty wrote:

Go listen to Magic Window then, fucker.

What a totally appropriate reaction.

Dayvan Cowboy
SELLOUT, feeling like a prostitute, feeling like a prostitute

Dayvan Cowboy
Don't understand the hate, it's not the best thing they've done but it's pretty good! Also love that it sounds exactly like them while sounding nothing like them.

Boqurant
I love it. Really nice direction with the remix, and shows they can keep evolving. Big fan of the track.

Negamuse wrote:Don't understand the hate, it's not the best thing they've done but it's pretty good! Also love that it sounds exactly like them while sounding nothing like them.

There's not really a lot of hate. I've seen a lot more positive comments on it than negative and mostly constructive points on the negative. The mystery of silence comment was bound to happen no matter what came out next because so much has been personally projected onto Boards from fans about what should come next instead of just waiting to see how they evolve.

Echelon wrote:Interesting question for the long-time BOC fans who've been around much longer than me: is this the most controversial remix they've ever done?

No. That'd be letting Solange throw vocals on top of their songs. I don't think anything will top that storm and it was so annoying because those tracks are objectively good in either form. If they did that now it wouldn't be such a big deal (Kelela being signed to Warp really did some much-needed eye-opening for some people), but the 2010's were still filled with a lot of snobbery about cross-genre like that.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
The people who thought this was a fake are just the best!

Posts Quantity
Solange technically remixed BOC in that instance. But all I know is that many people have complained about the hip hop remixes. They complain about the vocals, about the lyrics, about the simple presence of the human voice in a BOC track. Even people who comment in the Facebook group sharing their own music inspired by BOC feel quite OK trashing “those white boy rapper” remixes.

Friendly Stranger
Interesting rhythms played backwards.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada