Switch to full style
Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.
Post a reply

The Optimism of the Past

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:53 am

What started as an innocent prank from Biznasty reviving an ancient thread got me thinking a bit more deeper about things. How do you guys feel looking back half a decade ago, and seeing all these posts expressing optimism that something was right around the corner? I definitely feel a mixture of joy and sorrow. Happiness because it's always nice to see a lot of optimism concerning anything, nowadays, but also a bit sad, when you think we're into this next decade and we're still holding on for something new.

In a way, it brings me back to when I first got hardcore into BOC around fifteen and sixteen. I started diving deep into the lore, becoming a fanatic and eventually mellowing out a bit over the long wait time.

It's definitely making me existential but in a fun way. I hope that all of these long departed optimists return to the forum the day something is announced. I can't wait until there are like a hundred members online at once. That will truly be a new clear dawn for us all. :D

Re: The Optimism of the Past

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:14 am

Yes, it is definitely can be observed from the distance. It is always easier to spot on something from outside, that to keep everything in your head, while guessing the main reason why you have it. You need a friend also, to not take advantage of you, because of that, tho. The optimism is pretty healthy, I should say, with some good chunk of crystallised pessimism. But, there's still room for hope. Nor the times are so desperate, that you should question it. 8-18 years would be a fair challenge.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:48 am

The more you wait, the less you care. This is essentially how you let go. All you need is time. Time heals everything. It is incontrovertible.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:49 pm

arvy wrote:The more you wait, the less you care. This is essentially how you let go. All you need is time. Time heals everything. It is incontrovertible.

Exactly. Wise words my friend. The long wait has definitely tempered a lot of people, including myself

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:22 am

Echelon wrote:
arvy wrote:The more you wait, the less you care. This is essentially how you let go. All you need is time. Time heals everything. It is incontrovertible.

Exactly. Wise words my friend. The long wait has definitely tempered a lot of people, including myself

It is an honour. Appreciate this approach. They are no cry babies like Daft Punk, who just bye bye without any explanation. BOC are beasts, probably dealing with some dark cult stuff in the meantime. That's why it takes longer, than usually.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:06 am

arvy wrote:
Echelon wrote:

It is an honour. Appreciate this approach. They are no cry babies like Daft Punk, who just bye bye without any explanation. BOC are beasts, probably dealing with some dark cult stuff in the meantime. That's why it takes longer, than usually.

Excellent explanation on their approach. BOC probably have the best "long game" out there, with barely any missteps at all. And that is why they plot their next moves very tentatively. If it's a concept album, you know it's going to be done down to the very last detail.

While I cannot begrudge Daft Punk for leaving anonymously, since they have the right to privacy with whatever happened, their unceremonious way of leaving was disappointing. You'd think with a big music legacy that they'd go out with more of a bang than reused movie footage and a snippet of a song on Random Access Memories. The memorial plaque was the only thing new. They were quite similar to BOC in waiting eight years before doing anything, but they decided to go out with a whimper instead.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:27 am

arvy wrote:BOC are beasts, probably dealing with some dark cult stuff in the meantime. That's why it takes longer, than usually.
If by dark cult stuff you mean parenthood, you're probably right. ;)

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:45 am

I don't know.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:02 pm

There's something unsettling to me about the concept of forgetting things you really love. Like, not just growing out of it taste-wise, but just going years in a row with it not even crossing your mind.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:17 am

rodox_head wrote:

There's something unsettling to me about the concept of forgetting things you really love. Like, not just growing out of it taste-wise, but just going years in a row with it not even crossing your mind.

Yes. The beauty of your mind, heart and soul. To let go, forever. There's no turning back. Did you know, that you can literally die from a broken heart?

Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:17 pm

You certainly can. Kind of like Debbie Reynolds when her daughter Carrie Fisher died. Her death was a stroke but it was certainly a contributing factor considering Debbie died one day after Carrie. Broken heart.

I have not been listening to boc for long (2013-2014?) but I have strong optimism for this band. A lot of you keep the light super bright and it's pleasant to see this forum showing signs of life. I am almost positive once we see more activity ramp up, some older fans will show their heads.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:47 pm

Honestly, I'm kind of here for the community and the fun speculation. I've long since accepted that we may never get what we want, but I'm here for the ride anyway :D Perhaps some of the people on here use different mediums nowadays and I'm overthinking it

Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:45 pm

I don't think you understand. What we're dealing with here is THE collapse of civilisation. Go spend time with your friends and families. Make the most of it before your governments hand out cyanide pills.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:15 pm

And don't forget to pay your taxes.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:17 am

Sl Flk wrote:I don't think you understand. What we're dealing with here is THE collapse of civilisation. Go spend time with your friends and families. Make the most of it before your governments hand out cyanide pills.

I feel like BOC are the kind of people who would have a deep mistrust of government, religious institutions, and corporations. Peak LibCenter.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:50 am

i love the government!

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:02 pm

Sl Flk wrote:I don't think you understand. What we're dealing with here is THE collapse of civilisation. Go spend time with your friends and families. Make the most of it before your governments hand out cyanide pills.

It may seem like it, but then every generation has its end of world outlook. Negativity bias is real, we are hard wired to focus on what we've lost and not what we've gained, humans have done it throughout history. As a species I believe we'll overcome and prevail over this moment in time.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 pm

It’s slowly been going to shit since the industrial revolution

Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:27 am

bocbocbocboc wrote:

I feel like BOC are the kind of people who would have a deep mistrust of government, religious institutions, and corporations. Peak LibCenter.

I think their true arch nemesis is the people who leaked Old Tunes and BOC Maxima. I wonder if they ever found them and revoked their Hexagon Sun membership

Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 am

Echelon wrote:
bocbocbocboc wrote:

I think their true arch nemesis is the people who leaked Old Tunes and BOC Maxima. I wonder if they ever found them and revoked their Hexagon Sun membership

I assume they did, Sean from autechre mentioned that when someone leaked those releases Boards of Canada went "weird and cut a lot of people off".

I think it's always important to continuously remind ourselves, they don't owe us anything. I made a thread about this a while back, about what autechre said and how I don't want any of their old albums to leak.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14593
Post a reply