The Optimism of the Past

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
If I had AM or any of the other old EPs, I wouldn't release it. It's on them to do so, leaking it would be a dick move.
Fly!

Dayvan Cowboy
sandrail wrote:If I had AM or any of the other old EPs, I wouldn't release it. It's on them to do so, leaking it would be a dick move.

Agree, I wouldn’t leak them, personally I’d return them to the band shortly thereafter finding.
It’s their choice of what to do with the music and I’d respect their opinions/wishes.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
Echelon wrote:Back in 2010, between TCH and TH, there was a vaporwave album on Bandcamp. It seemed to be deliberately trashy, from the cover to the music, both utilizing trashy aesthetics and mock ominous dialogue snippets. The weird thing was, it was credited to Mike Sandison and Marcus Eoin. At first, you'd think: "Oh that's something a troll made." But not only does it sound like a Hell Interface style piss-take with deliberately low-effort melodies, but there's one track on it that is so good melodically that it makes you wonder. Was this BOC's answer to the vaporwave movement? Did Mike and Marcus decide to stick it to the people who took their nostalgic music at face-value? Or was it simply a troll? We may never know the answer to this.

I have to hear that if it still exists somehow. BoC are not above taking the piss out of fakers, hence "diet coke green screen failure". Wasn't there some fake BoC track uploaded to itunes back then that had a Bjork album cover on it or something?

I know this is probably not it, but did it sound something like this:
phpBB [media]

https://sixtyeightkay.bandcamp.com/albu ... weekend-94

Here we are. Complete with a Miku Hatsune cover, a lobotomized BOC album title and credited to "M Sandison and M Eoin."

The "Window" track is legitimately quality though. It's the one thing that truly makes me wonder...
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:https://sixtyeightkay.bandcamp.com/album/computer-weekend-94

Here we are. Complete with a Miku Hatsune cover, a lobotomized BOC album title and credited to "M Sandison and M Eoin."

The "Window" track is legitimately quality though. It's the one thing that truly makes me wonder...

I'm on the fence too. Did this not make the rounds back in 2010? I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard of this.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sorry for going off topic but rodox, your avatar is glitching! First the eyes and now it’s like a broken monitor.
I’m slightly intrigued! Could this be a twoism avatar arg in the making? :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
Echelon wrote:https://sixtyeightkay.bandcamp.com/album/computer-weekend-94

I'm on the fence too. Did this not make the rounds back in 2010? I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard of this.

My friend told me it did. I haven't really looked into it otherwise. But yeah, perfect example of Poe's Law in effect.

It's definitely in the same mischievous shit-posty vein as I Feel Good, but you never really know. Though BOC would legitimately have a good reason to want to mock their imitators. Apparently their sub-genre of IDM was done to death in the later zeros and you can read people on here complaining about it

Honestly, whenever I think about Tomorrow's Harvest, and both my likes and my qualms with it, I really appreciate them for trying something different, yet still nostalgic. Trying very hard to get ahead of their competitors. It's the most controversial album for me and I zig-zag back and forth about it, but I think in the end, it was a well played move.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
sandrail wrote:If I had AM or any of the other old EPs, I wouldn't release it. It's on them to do so, leaking it would be a dick move.

I think it really depends on how one comes across it. If it was hacked from their computer or something, that’s obviously a problem. But if a tape was found in thrift store or collecting dust in some old acquaintances shoebox, I wouldn’t consider it getting shared online as a “leak”… it’s more like something they already released — albeit on the small scale of who they were then — finding it’s way into the 21st century.

I don’t believe they care as much about this stuff staying buried or secret or “friends and family” as much as people here presume. But I also think they’ve grown too important as artists to re-release that old material themselves now without having to add a ridiculous amount of context for their massive fan base (of which us weirdos are just a very small and noisy sliver of).

I’d hope they’d leak it themselves. I’d suspect they’d feel some sense of relief if original copies just appeared online from one of the people still in possession of them, sparing them the pressure of some future messy too-many-cooks BoC set project.

I think the AFOT tapes leaks that upset them way back were a different animal as much of that material could’ve still had a commercial future before being pirated. The earlier works I believe are different — and the context for how we think about music sharing, piracy, and revenue today is way different than when they made those remarks.

For the love of god — if you have these recordings, or find them, let them into the ears that want to hear them! Music has the right!

I’m a broken record on this I know, but I’m still surprised I can’t get an amen on any of this.
preparation for a dive.

Dayvan Cowboy
tonx wrote:For the love of god — if you have these recordings, or find them, let them into the ears that want to hear them! Music has the right!

I’m a broken record on this I know, but I’m still surprised I can’t get an amen on any of this.

Even though I agree, it still would feel a little off to me to at least not try to get BoC's permission, or even a confirmation. It could be like how Kraftwerk views their first few albums as just "archaeology", and maybe they're just meant to be released unofficially at this point.

Orbited insanitarium wrote:Sorry for going off topic but rodox, your avatar is glitching! First the eyes and now it’s like a broken monitor.
I’m slightly intrigued! Could this be a twoism avatar arg in the making? :wink:

I think it's just a side effect of the new Drip Drop diet, everything's as usual. 8)
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Boqurant
[/quote]
I think it's just a side effect of the new Drip Drop diet, everything's as usual. 8)[/quote]

Cheers to that!

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada