In the Annexe (sample source discovered)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
hey all, put some effort into removing the main synth line in "In The Annexe" (plus reversing the track as a whole) to make the sample of the children singing a bit clearer - I definitely think it's a group of children, maybe a class singing some sort of obscure nursery rhyme. In some parts I think I even hear an adult singing along (teacher?). Posting in here to ask what you guys think and to see if we get anywhere farther in identifying what's going on here.

listen here:
phpBB [media]
Image ImageImage

Sherbet Head
The bros invented their own Children's rhymes with weird offputting subliminals. They then gathered a few kids from their supply and made them sing the evil tunes.

You won't find these tunes because they didn't exist before this.

You also won't find the children, needless to say the brothers have been well fed that winter on child flavored stew.

Quite evil ...
Suck my BUTT

Posts Quantity
That's amazing work, I can definitely hear the melody much clearer now. Sounds very similar to Mulberry bush but with different lyrics.
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Eagle Minded
"This is the way we xxx, xxx, xxx."

Sounds kind of like that and patty-cake.

But I'm just guessing.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Eagle Minded
This has also been a pet project of mine for a long time, it's definitely a variation of mulberry bush/this is the way we brush our teeth. I've searched hundreds of times for every conceivable phrase I can hear but nothing so far. Good work.

Eagle Minded
I Hear 'sell our home'

Then buy her bury her.

The last one I hear ' We're at risk from danger, danger danger'

I have a feeling that the words are changed to maybe reference the black death?

Eagle Minded
Ok so I've done a bit of mucking around to try and bring out the voices a bit more (it's a bit clippy but not awful) and I've split it up into five distinct sections where I hear phrases. This is what I'm hearing, let me know if you agree/disagree or what you can hear. These go in chronological order

"When we close the dooooor, door door, when we close the dooooor, she comes ???"

"buried in, buried in, buried in, all of the clothes she's buried in, buried in today. She'll be buried in reeeed, reed, reeed"

"she'll be buried in reeeeed, buried in red today"

"We're/they're in physical daaanger, daaanger, danger"

"She'll be wearing blaaaack, black, black"

So clearly what I'm getting from this is some kind of nursery rhyme about a death and funeral of some kind but I'm happy to have my interpretation blown out of the water if someone can get closer?

Eagle Minded
IronMark wrote:Ok so I've done a bit of mucking around to try and bring out the voices a bit more (it's a bit clippy but not awful) and I've split it up into five distinct sections where I hear phrases. This is what I'm hearing, let me know if you agree/disagree or what you can hear. These go in chronological order

"When we close the dooooor, door door, when we close the dooooor, she comes ???"

"buried in, buried in, buried in, all of the clothes she's buried in, buried in today. She'll be buried in reeeed, reed, reeed"

So clearly what I'm getting from this is some kind of nursery rhyme about a death and funeral of some kind but I'm happy to have my interpretation blown out of the water if someone can get closer?

Jesus, this is beyond creepy and unsettling... The "physical danger" one specifically freaked me out. :shock: Since none of us have yet identified this nursery rhyme, I'm starting to wonder if BoC wrote and recorded this themselves (and maybe got some local kids to sing it). I know some nursey rhymes have some pretty dark undertones/backstories but this one is a bit too blatant... :lol:
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Eagle Minded
Biznasty wrote:
IronMark wrote:Ok so I've done a bit of mucking around to try and bring out the voices a bit more (it's a bit clippy but not awful) and I've split it up into five distinct sections where I hear phrases. This is what I'm hearing, let me know if you agree/disagree or what you can hear. These go in chronological order

Jesus, this is beyond creepy and unsettling... The "physical danger" one specifically freaked me out. :shock: Since none of us have yet identified this nursery rhyme, I'm starting to wonder if BoC wrote and recorded this themselves (and maybe got some local kids to sing it). I know some nursey rhymes have some pretty dark undertones/backstories but this one is a bit too blatant... :lol:

Tbf these are just my interpretations, it might not be so dark. The thing that would put me off thinking that BoC sourced this themselves are 1) The accents sound mostly American and 2) All of these samples from Geogaddi that are now being found are coming from third parties so I would be leaning towards this being borrowed rather than original. Children singing a creepy nursery rhyme about danger wouldn't be out of place on a Public Information film.

Dayvan Cowboy

It's still difficult to make anything out concretely. I wouldn't be surprised if they sourced a bunch of different snippets and spliced them together in a chaotic fashion just to sound like indistinct chatter buried under the synth. This is like how I feel TSWN was possibly made by playing out a piece, reversing it, mimicking the reversed version, then reversing that version. It all feels "off" no matter how you take it apart.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Posts Quantity
here's a much clearer version with no synth at all, maybe it will help you: https://voca.ro/1cxZoMVVSneG

Eagle Minded
Dmitrii wrote:here's a much clearer version with no synth at all, maybe it will help you: https://voca.ro/1cxZoMVVSneG

Brilliant! After your job of clearing this up, I've found the verse the children are chanting!! It's a poem called Jenny Jones and the text is:

"Please, we've come to see Jenny Jones, Jenny Jones, Jenny Jones;
Please, we've come to see Jenny Jones,
And how is she today?

Jenny she is dead,dead, dead;
You cannot see her today.

What colour is she going to be buried in?

Red.

Red is for danger, danger, danger;
Red is for danger, so that won't do.

White.

White is for angels, angels, angels;
White is for angels, so that will do.

Ding, dong,
The castle bells,
Ringing for me;
I'll be buried in the old churchyard
Beneath the great yew tree."

The Annexe sample is not an exact copy of this but it's broadly similar. We just need to find the version of people chanting this rhyme now!

Edited to add - I found the text of the poem here and the website note on the poem is as follows:

"This is a chase game: a group of kids go away and return singing verse 1; then a girl (for this is a secret girls' game it seems) sings 'Jenny she is dead...'; the group then stand in front of her and sing 'What colour...?' the girl answers; children sing 'Red is for danger...'; girl choose white; children sing 'White is for angels...' then the group stands over the girl who is Jenny Jones and sing 'Ding, Dong' etc, after which Jenny springs out of the corner and chases everyone away - the first one caught becomes Jenny Jones ..."

Eagle Minded
Also want to add to my above post - I've listened to a lot of stuff by Tony Schwartz who did the album "how to record the sound of children" that BOC lifted the kids voices for From One Source All Things Depend from and a lot of his stuff is recordings of children singing verses and nursery rhymes on the streets of New York so it might be a good place to do a deep dive.

I'm pretty sure the variation of the rhyme from In The Annexe goes as such:

"we've come to see miss Jenny Jones, Jenny Jones, Jenny Jones
and how is she today?

Jenny Jones has died, died, died. Jenny Jones has died, ?? ?? today

Wonder what she's buried in, buried in, buried in today?

She'll be buried in red, red, she'll be buried in red, red buried in red today

Red is for danger, danger, danger, red is for danger ?? today

She'll be buried in white, white, white, she'll be buried in white, buried in white today"

So it's not an exact version of the text copied above but this is definitely the correct poem/verse/chant. We just need to find the exact version now. Exciting

Posts Quantity
Thanks for finding the original nursery rhyme, IronMark!

I have found where it was sampled from by BOC: https://www.discogs.com/release/3530119 ... ging-Games
Track A40 “I've Come To See Your Janie Jones”

Available on Spotify and Apple Music, lol
https://open.spotify.com/track/2lpOP22r ... IbezNRqxig
Listen at 1:59

Is this it?

Boqurant
that's it! great work yall, knew we'd be able to break through this.
Image ImageImage

Eagle Minded
Amazing work all, I've wanted to find this for years, I can't believe we've done it.

oliveoil22, it might be an idea to edit the thread title to indicate we've found it?

Here's the passage from the sampled track:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/wdL7C

Posts Quantity
Someone needs to update BOCpages wiki as well :)

Also, the whole release is a must-listen - maybe we’ll find more sample sources (Devil Is In The Details?)

Boqurant
IronMark wrote:Amazing work all, I've wanted to find this for years, I can't believe we've done it.

oliveoil22, it might be an idea to edit the thread title to indicate we've found it?

Here's the passage from the sampled track:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/wdL7C

I don't see an option to do so yet, maybe a mod could?
Image ImageImage

Boqurant
won't be sleeping tonight... :shock:

phpBB [media]

(synced the original sample with the song)
Image ImageImage

Eagle Minded
oliveoil22 wrote:won't be sleeping tonight... :shock:

phpBB [media]

(synced the original sample with the song)

Ah yes, so satisfying that we can finally know that 0:38 isn't "watching me, watch the pianos" as was speculated on bocpages for so long.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada