Geogaddi easter eggs

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
thaesafhma = ah math safe
were you born in 1982?

Dayvan Cowboy
thee neon r@ wrote:music is math is one of my most listened to BOC tracks and it never crossed my mind that the vocoded thing was making words...til now

interesting

I know! it took me awhile to pick up on it myself..I get a kick out of now 8)

I like your comment about how every listen is a different story Cupz...I agree.
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Boqurant
if it is some kind of story like the one stated i think its similar to dante's inferno

Friendly Stranger
Archrival wrote:Love BOCs stories, and the narrative side of their albums...its so sweet on TCH its like watching a excellent movie! Fantastic stories being told with no words.

the details of the narrative on TCH seem to be buried much more deeply and densely in the mix than on geogaddi. life beneath the surface seems to be similar to that of the beach at redpoint.

Eagle Minded
I love finding out what they may or may not have put in Geogaddi but I still say there is no greater meaning or theme. It's the principle of appreciating something on different levels, taking the time to discover what isn't clear at face value that makes it so interesting.
They make us aware of all this other stuff going on behind the music we like so naturally we want to investigate, but they are not Branch davidians or the CIA!! Of course they don't have a hidden agenda.
We just find stuff out that doesn't make any sense and that is why it is great and unique.

Friendly Stranger
Sorry to be harsh, but if you're gunning for the hyper-rigorous, super-geek vibe, then at least ensure the objective 'correctness' of what you're saying.

'ready, let's go': 'let us go' is a 1st person plural hortative subjunctive.

Friendly Stranger
jackobfryer wrote:Sorry to be harsh, but if you're gunning for the hyper-rigorous, super-geek vibe, then at least ensure the objective 'correctness' of what you're saying.

'ready, let's go': 'let us go' is a 1st person plural hortative subjunctive.

thanks for the correction

i'm not gunning for any vibe. i'm just trying to analyze geogaddi the way the folks over at usenet analyze a kubrick (or any other good director) film.

if you don't care for an attempt at that level of analysis, fine, start your own thread about it.

Posts Quantity
I bet they weren't even trying to make up half the hidden meanings people stir up out of the songs.
All this hidden bullshit talk is just as annoying as people yelping about the government in almost every song listed on songmeanings.com

Dayvan Cowboy
VIATRIPHOP wrote:I bet they weren't even trying to make up half the hidden meanings people stir up out of the songs.
All this hidden bullshit talk is just as annoying as people yelping about the government in almost every song listed on songmeanings.com

AMEN. 8)

Sherbet Head
Cupz wrote:
Archrival wrote:Love BOCs stories, and the narrative side of their albums...its so sweet on TCH its like watching a excellent movie! Fantastic stories being told with no words.

And every listen is a different story.

yes exactly, thats what makes them :) im very into all the stuff they released. Love everthing from the childhood, projector, dizzy, hazed out, nature film type psychedelich adventours to the road trips to the mountain climbings to the sky rockets.

Dayvan Cowboy
drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead drop dead...did i cover everyone in this thread including myself?..good..ill commence being dead now...

Eagle Minded
Mmm. Tonight I did a wonderful eyes-closed, laying-in-bed, listening-on-really-nice-headphones full listen of Geogaddi.

Interesting things I noticed for the first time: (and I thought I had this album all figured out!)

Music Is Math - all the samples in the background towards the end of the song

Beware The Friendly Stranger - at the end of the song, i could hear...kids playing. the friendly stranger is a child abductor? makes sense.

In The Annexe - more kids playing in the background.

1969 - lots of little percussion parts i had never heard before, and some panning i had never noticed before on the hi-hats.

Energy Warning - right before the main synth comes in, in the left speaker, listen closely and you'll hear a voice singing. i had to rewind it to make sure i actually heard this. on my desktop speakers i can barely hear it, but on my headphones it was very audible.

I Saw Drones - the panning! oh man, the panning! this song is definitely tracing out some sort of 3D shape; the panning is really complex.

You Could Feel The Sky - i noticed a few of the unusual percussion sounds for the first time. also, at the end it sounds like a voice is repeating "it's in our hands".

Corsair - the low and high frequencies seem to be panned in the inverse of one another or something like that; it sounds like it's creating the number 8.

There was more, but I can't remember it all. This album is a trip and I love it.

Friendly Stranger
VIATRIPHOP wrote:I bet they weren't even trying to make up half the hidden meanings people stir up out of the songs.

sure, they aren't trying to construct any dogmatic or conspiratorial statements with all of the hidden details. If anything, they are anti-dogma.

but there are enough of these vague details to warrent furthur investigation whether or not one happens to put 2 and 2 together incorrectly from time to time. in fact, Geogaddi seems to invite erroneous suppositions in the way of its system of detail. (Apart from any meaning) the construction of its system of detail, its form, can be seen as an aural golden spiral: the details systematically become less and less intelligible the deeper you go. they are placed in different locations in the mix and they gradually become so vague that eventually one begins to suspect whether he's just hearing things.

so, in a roundabout way, you're correct: Geogaddi deliberately draws some of us in too deep. we begin to seem like schitzophrenics. but that doesn't lessen my curiousity

Eagle Minded
Who really cares if BoC meant any of this? Art should be just as much about personal interpretation as what was "really intended". I really enjoy reading other's ideas about the album... I hope people post more.

Dayvan Cowboy
Beacon wrote:Who really cares if BoC meant any of this? Art should be just as much about personal interpretation as what was "really intended". I really enjoy reading other's ideas about the album... I hope people post more.

That's what I've been saying...welcome to the board btw. :lol:

Posts Quantity
The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse will blast Geogaddi on loud speakers I know it.

Posts Quantity
thaesafhma wrote:title: Geo gad di

Geo: geometry geography geology geodesy geoid ect...
"words beginning with the prefix "geo-" should not be considered as only referring to the earth . . ."
"Insure that for Geoid it is stated that it usually corresponds to mean sea level but it is not the same."

gad: God And Devil

di: two

Gog and Magog
this can be spelled with geogaddi if you subtract the d and add an m
some thoughts on the missing m: e+d+d =m; or d+i=m; also boc have said 'm' is their favorite letter.

"Appearing in both Genesis and Revelation, Gog and Magog have long been associated with beginnings and endings.
Passing into late classical and medieval literature and history from biblical tradition, the two were sometimes a single being (Gogmagog), sometimes separate (Gog and Magog), sometimes ethnic groups (the races of Gog and Magog), and sometimes lands. Amorphous terms, the names were at one time or another attached to the Scythians, Goths, Saracens, Jews, and the gigantic sons of Albina, among others. For many medieval writers, Gog and Magog functioned as typological metaphors, names that could be appropriated to whatever was alien, threatening, or actively hostile in a manner that paralleled biblical usage."

Well, there is also a microbiologist by the name of Geoffrey Gadd at the University of Dundee in Scotland. Apparently he has done some research on mathematical modelling of fungal growth. He also coauthored Fungi in the Environment. Get it, get it? Wink, wink, wink.

Geo Gadd!

The "i" in Geogaddi is just an upside down exclamation mark.

It all makes sense now!!!

:twisted:
Last edited by bioluminescence on Wed May 07, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
"The Past Is In(side) The Present" I don't recall it exactly hence the parenthesis. But ever since I first heard Geogaddi that one line since it is placed so early in the CD has always made me associate the album with growing up or maturing for some reason. I never did any real analyzing of it though. Just enjoyed it for what it is.

I just remember my first listen when Music Is Math starts to completely unravel and trip out towards the end it totally damaged my senses. The rest of the album spends time rebuilding only to tear apart back again during Dawn Chorus until it finally gets to Corsair and Magic Window. I dunno it's a weird description.

I think all this analytical stuff isn't really bad so to speak. It's just fans occupying their time until a new release comes out!

Nova Scotia Robot
bioluminescence wrote:

"words beginning with the prefix "geo-" should not be considered as only referring to the earth . . ."
"Insure that for Geoid it is stated that it usually corresponds to mean sea level but it is not the same."

Gog and Magog
some thoughts on the missing m: e+d+d =m; or d+i=m; also boc have said 'm' is their favorite letter.

"Appearing in both Genesis and Revelation, Gog and Magog have long been associated with beginnings and endings.
Passing into late classical and medieval literature and history from biblical tradition, the two were sometimes a single being (Gogmagog), sometimes separate (Gog and Magog), sometimes ethnic groups (the races of Gog and Magog), and sometimes lands. Amorphous terms, the names were at one time or another attached to the Scythians, Goths, Saracens, Jews, and the gigantic sons of Albina, among others. For many medieval writers, Gog and Magog functioned as typological metaphors, names that could be appropriated to whatever was alien, threatening, or actively hostile in a manner that paralleled biblical usage."

Well, there is also a microbiologist by the name of Geoffrey Gadd at the University of Dundee in Scotland. He has coauthored Fungi in the Environment. Get it, get it? Wink, wink, wink.

Geo Gadd!

Nice find with Geoffrey Gadd. Thats awesome.

Dayvan Cowboy
bioluminescence wrote:

Gog and Magog

Well, there is also a microbiologist by the name of Geoffrey Gadd at the University of Dundee in Scotland. He has coauthored Fungi in the Environment. Get it, get it? Wink, wink, wink.

Geo Gadd!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada