The Face interview

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
YELLOW wrote:
Fearless Flounder wrote:Thanks.Great read.
I remember reading one of those awful trendy London style mags (either The Face or Dazed and confused) around the time of TCH where either Mike or Marcus slected a mixtape for a sitting round a campfire along with comments on each track.
I remember it including Beach boys, some folk stuff, bonnie prince billy and sufjan stevens I think, some old west coast sunshine rock maybe and mainly older more guitar orientated tracks as far as my memory serves.
Anyone have this or know any links to it?
Wouldn't mind reading it again. Was quite interesting as it possibly was much of the stuff the could have been into at the time which may have informed TCH.

there's a thread around here somewhere that is about this mix tape. twoism member niknak had all of the songs mentioned except two and sent them to me a while ago, dont have them anymore unfortunately. hope that helped

Yeah.. wow... there's a fuzzy memory. I'd love to take a look at that again.

Dayvan Cowboy
there are 2 articles that I can't seem to find anywhere on fredd-e's pages; one I read in a bookstore about 2 years ago, and they mentioned listening to stevie wonder's sounds of plants album. there was another one I remember reading where they mentioned listening to rdj's surfing on sine waves. if anyone knows where these are, let me know!

Posts Quantity
YELLOW wrote:
there's a thread around here somewhere that is about this mix tape. twoism member niknak had all of the songs mentioned except two and sent them to me a while ago, dont have them anymore unfortunately. hope that helped

http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607

Boards of Canada mixtape from D & C mag

Campfire mixtape by Marcus Eoin (one half of BoC)
John Denver 'I'd rather be a cowboy'
for collecting firewood

John Frusciante 'Regret"
Now the fire's lit we need spacerock

Sufjan stevens ' A good man is hard to find'
There's a great out of tune chorus that shouldn't work but it does

Smith Perkins Smith ' say no more'
A cowboy classic. any song that uses 'dust bowl' gets my thumbs up.

the Beach Boys ' celebrate the news'
There's a beach boys song fro every occasion. Who needs drugs when there's music like this.

Ween ' among his tribe'
Time to get the marshmallows out. Ween are so good they're like a hundred bands for the price of one.

Yo La Tengo ' Tiny birds'
Time to gather some more combustibles.

Bonnie Prince Billy ' No more workhouse blues'
The best use of pedal steel I've heard in a long while.

Mark Johnson ' Asia Major'
By now you'll be lying on your back looking at the stars. The best song writer this side of the Kuiper Belt.

Joni Mitchell ' Amelia'
Maybe the most perfect song ever recorded. When the fire's burning down and you want one last song echoing out as you make your way home, this should be it.

Sherbet Head
thanks for the interview! good read :D

Dayvan Cowboy
I really like some of the songs on the mixtape. I found all of them except smith perkins smith and mark johnson. if anyone has these pm me, it'd be nice to complete the set!

Sherbet Head
Glad you all appreciated the read.

There's some real gems in this interview, I think.

The stuff about commerciality and the fact that Marcus is drivinag 'plush' BMW puts to bed the recurring questions about their music being used in adverts.

That bit at the end about Mike's dream; the thing about having to reconstruct the subliminals in your mind; A book of photography that never materialized; "this isn't drug music" and the negative view of Starbucks where they then conduct and interview in later.

Boqurant
that was a good article, i gave sarin sunday a copy of the magazine containing that article. i always wondered about the photo books, curious if a small run was maybe put out but between friends? good read thanks.

Friendly Stranger
Last edited by Najm ad-Din Ayyub on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Cycler
"It's been a long time..."

Dayvan Cowboy
Infinite E wrote:
BunnyRabbit wrote:They have based a number of new songs on mathematical equations (working out frequencies for melodies that directly correlate to the changing amount of light in one day, for example)

that is seriously really cool. how do you think that kind of stuff would be worked into a song?

especially if it is "sunshine recorder"

Dayvan Cowboy
Najm ad-Din Ayyub wrote:
essicaj -_- wrote:that was a good article, i gave sarin sunday a copy of the magazine containing that article. i always wondered about the photo books, curious if a small run was maybe put out but between friends? good read thanks.

they did do a few photo books (i know they were giving them out on a trip in cali) and a cool sort of scrapbook photography journal, but i reckon these were independent limited presses. the journals even have a section that is hand doodles, i.e. every copy was different, but they must have only done about 40-50 of those

I WANT :shock:
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada