Introduce Yourself

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
Hey everybody, Cera (she/they) 28

Relative new comer to electronic music genres, only seriously getting into them around 2019. I'm a huge Seth Haley fan and his work was a gateway for me into so many sounds and artists. Flash forward to today and I'm running an archive dedicated to all of Seth's work and a youtube channel dedicated to sharing catchy but hard to find electronic music (ComTruiseFanGirl)
AKA ComTruiseFanGirl

Sherbet Head
Greater Stranger wrote:Hey everybody, Cera (she/they) 28

Relative new comer to electronic music genres, only seriously getting into them around 2019. I'm a huge Seth Haley fan and his work was a gateway for me into so many sounds and artists. Flash forward to today and I'm running an archive dedicated to all of Seth's work and a youtube channel dedicated to sharing catchy but hard to find electronic music (ComTruiseFanGirl)

Hallo! :o

New Seed
(。◕‿◕。)'ノ''
AKA ComTruiseFanGirl

New Seed
Hi, i'm Cursivel. I get into Boards of Canada in a relative recent time (2019/20), now I'm a big fan of the band and can't wait for their new LP to come out.

Dayvan Cowboy
cursivel wrote:Hi, i'm Cursivel. I get into Boards of Canada in a relative recent time (2019/20), now I'm a big fan of the band and can't wait for their new LP to come out.

:D

New Seed
Hi im cement and my fav boc album is tri repetae

New Seed
hello all. slowhed here. late to the party but longtime listener. too old to remember, too young to care. illustrator. noise fiddler. loves vegetables and good people. cheers

Friendly Stranger
Late arrival to Boards of Canada. I was the quintessential 'indie kid' during my adolescence only now immersing myself in BoC. I'm in my late thirties from the northwest of England.

New Seed
53 years old. Long time fan. Only very recently got back into being "online" (last 20-ish years have been consumed by full time caring for recently passed parent and two disabled children) I have no internet presence to speak of other than an email address and a mobioe phone. I really don't have the time or inclination to indulge social media. I do, on the other hand, feel as though (my) life would have been a lot more difficult without Boards' music. Echus on a loop was literally the only thing that would calm and comfort my youngest son when he was taken by an especially consuming meltdown. He has very severe autism. Our eldest son (high functioning Autism, 182 IQ) reappropriated all my old "electronic" albums & CDs (Boards, Autechre, Eno, Susumu Yokota, Aphex, K/Cluster etc) as they help him concentrate on his studies. I used to be a musician.

I remember kicking about the old, old Boards related sites etc sort of late 90s/very early 00s, but more or less dropped offline around '03-'04. So, yeah, it's been a while! I've lurked on and off for a few months, but decided I should probably sign up when I noticed there was a sense of a new album in the air. Am guessing this (and the Warp mailing list!) would as good a place as any for a heads up. I had a good chuckle at that Hooper Bay vinyl fiasco, fair do's to the chap! Not much else to say for tne moment other than hope you're all doing well and really looking forward to catching up on what I've been missing out on. And before I forget, I saw Boards live twice. Warp Lighthouse and ATP. Lovely to meet you all.

Posts Quantity
Interface de l'enfer wrote:53 years old. Long time fan. Only very recently got back into being "online" (last 20-ish years have been consumed by full time caring for recently passed parent and two disabled children) I have no internet presence to speak of other than an email address and a mobioe phone. I really don't have the time or inclination to indulge social media. I do, on the other hand, feel as though (my) life would have been a lot more difficult without Boards' music. Echus on a loop was literally the only thing that would calm and comfort my youngest son when he was taken by an especially consuming meltdown. He has very severe autism. Our eldest son (high functioning Autism, 182 IQ) reappropriated all my old "electronic" albums & CDs (Boards, Autechre, Eno, Susumu Yokota, Aphex, K/Cluster etc) as they help him concentrate on his studies. I used to be a musician.

I remember kicking about the old, old Boards related sites etc sort of late 90s/very early 00s, but more or less dropped offline around '03-'04. So, yeah, it's been a while! I've lurked on and off for a few months, but decided I should probably sign up when I noticed there was a sense of a new album in the air. Am guessing this (and the Warp mailing list!) would as good a place as any for a heads up. I had a good chuckle at that Hooper Bay vinyl fiasco, fair do's to the chap! Not much else to say for tne moment other than hope you're all doing well and really looking forward to catching up on what I've been missing out on. And before I forget, I saw Boards live twice. Warp Lighthouse and ATP. Lovely to meet you all.

WOW quite the backstory! A true BoC OG. I can totally relate with Echus on loop, such a special and healing song that one.

What is it you remember most about their livesets?

Also a very warm welcome to Twoism
1986 Summer Fire

New Seed
Thanks dude. Yeah, Echus worked an absolute treat. It just so happened that it was playing as I was carrying my youngest into the living room, he'd have been no more than 2 or 3 years old at the time and the usual routine was to have him sat in the crook of an elbow, top of his head under my chin. Our living room and sitting room are knocked through, into one near enough thirty foor long space, and I would walk up and down, end to end for hours sometime, humming to him which seemed to help diffuse his stress. Anyway, Echus hadn't long started and as it was really beginning to bui!d and swell, my son started to relax and I could feel the tension slowly dissipating from his back and shoulders. I had/have a fairly decent hifi and the bass end of the chords were filling but not overpowering the room. When it stopped, he looked up at me (really) and pointed at one of the speakers. Even more really. By the third or fourth playing of it, he was asleep on my left shoulder. The healing power of music? I would normally call "Bollocks" to getting dewy eyed and, like, totally Laurel Canyon wellness retreat about the effects of music in such settings, but I saw it, it happened and it was wonderful. He still listens to it now.

For the Lighthouse Party I was fairly shitfaced but the reports of Björk cbucking herself about the place are true as she knocked my girlfriend's drink flying. Amo Bishop Roden and that early cut of Julie & Candy blew my tiny mind. ATP was another level. I had my camera taken off me by a Welsh "bouncer" who told me I could have it back at the end of the gig. He was twice my size, so I didn't argue and he was true to his word. There was a real sense, amongst the dozen or so of our group, that this might be a bit special. And it was. i missed the first few minutes of Echus as I was having a slash, but everything about the it - from the slightly tawdry location, the tired, manky old chalets, knackered bingo hall-like venue in tandem with Boards' "nostalgia ethic" seemed to coalesce into some bizarre time slip. The backdrop/projections were perfect. Patterns. Faces. Out of focus. Washed out, lens flared images. Did they really play Noatak? Whatever it was, it laid me out. The "bass drum" or whatever sound they had manipulated to be the bass drum did a real number on my ribs.

Thank ypu for the welcome. Peace.

New Seed
Hello, Tomek from Poland :) I first met BoC thanks to the forum of James Holden's Border Community label as a teenager. This is a mythical era in my musical development. A beautiful time of exploring new worlds. Since then, I've been going around in circles and constantly looking for these sounds, spaces and moods.
I'm glad this forum seems somehow still alive.

For some time now I have also been making music that refers to this my private myths strongly connected to BoC. If you would like to comment on it, I would be very grateful.

All the best to a community close to me that I don't know at all!

https://soundcloud.com/ancient-zoomies

New Seed
Hi Tomek, good to meet you. I joined a few weeks ago. This seems to be the best place to come for Bords' info & guidance. Really enjoying your tunes! They are excellent!! :D

New Seed
Hey everybody. I'm a very long time BOC fan, been browsing here and bocpages for like a decade but never joined. Looking forward to another decade of speculating on when the next release will be :lol:
:3

Site Admin
A warm welcome to all the new members :D

Interface de l'enfer wrote:53 years old. Long time fan
Lovely to meet you all.

Interface de l'enfer wrote:It just so happened that it was playing as I was carrying my youngest into the living room,
The "bass drum" or whatever sound they had manipulated to be the bass drum did a real number on my ribs.

Beautiful posts! how wonderful to read how music can work in situations like this.
Life is a Frequency

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada