Introduce Yourself

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
hello ~
they were a real discovery for me, honestly. So, decided to join this community

New Seed
Hello, kinda amazing that 7 years from last album passed....
Well i've been a fan of BOC since forever. I was introduced to their music in 2002, i moved to London just then and one of my flatmates just played one of their vinyl's to me. Funny, as it often is, i was disturbed, curious but didn't follow through. Years later i got obsessed with BOC. Bought all their albums, lurked here very often. Read all their interviews, there were times i listened to their music constantly and could not find any other music interesting. They inspired me so much. Now, funny enough i live in Edinburgh and walk on Pentland Hills from time to time thinking that maybe i can just bump into them one day......life is so weird.

Friendly Stranger
psaret a ravolution i'm sjunk as a mutha

Posts Quantity
hello, i'm dylan of zephyr method, i'm part of a music making trio and we really enjoy boards of canada :)
chronical wrote:Robots doing robot things

Boqurant
Hello. Very long time lurker. Introduced to BoC back in 2001 by a friend who played MHTRTC religiously. Once I heard it, they replaced the Smiths as my go to band.

Favourite album is Geogaddi, as there are endless layers to the album. I always find something new, although it is an intensely sinister record.

I am a 70s child and grew up in the shadow of nuclear war, and was told by public information films about all the ways life would harm me, to an analogue synth (or Radiophonic Workshop) soundtrack. I guess BoC speaks to that part of me.

New Seed
Hello comrades. Came across this site bewildering through the internets during another 'new album finally in the offing?' ponder. I only became aware of the band when 'Headphase' was released, and they've been on superheavy rotation ever since (eldest daughter: Oh god, dad, not Boardoms of Canada again). I'm old as shit, so contemporaneously share their obsessions/nostalgia, perhaps. Seven year gap is just taking the piss now, no?

Eagle Minded
I just realised I'm too big of a Boards of Canada fan to not be here on the twoism forums.

I think I discovered boc 10 years ago when I was a deadmau5 fan and discovered his Kiteracer 2 cover, went and compared it to original and... Kiteracer 2 was my first boc track. I was in a huge edm/dubstep phase back then so I never really found myself listening to boc, but I knew they existed. Sometime in 2014 after discovering Syro by Aphex Twin I decided I actually loved the more experimental/relaxing side of electronic music, slowly I discovered more and more artists I currently love, Autechre, Squarepusher, Amon Tobin... and then Boards of Canada came back into my life.

I'm unsure what hooked me first... I really fell in love with Hi Scores at first but the albums really took some time to grow on me, MHTRTC would have been the first album that I grew attached to. I think these days both Geogaddi and Tomorrows Harvest would make the cut for my top 10 favourite all time albums though, both MHTRTC and Campfire would be very close behind. I love every project these guys have done, and expect their music to be part of my life indefinitely.

Favourite Tracks
Old Tunes: Finity/I Will Get It Tattooed/The Way You Show/5-9-78
Old Tunes vol 2: Staircase Whip/Nine-Rubber Wisdom/David Came To Mahana'Im/Kiteracer2 (duh)
Hi Scores: Nlogax/June 9th/Seeya Later
MHTRTC: Sixtyten/Rue the World/Olson/Pete Standing Alone
Geogaddi: Gyroscope/The Beach at Redpoint/Diving Station/You Could Feel the Sky
Campfire: 84 Pontiac Dream/Oscar See Through Red Eye/Tears from the Compound Eye
Tomorrows Harvest: Jacquard Causeway/Palace Possy/New Seeds/Come to Dust

New Seed
I was first introduced to Boards of Canada (and several other artists I now cherish, some listed in my profile interests) through Michael Robinson's (aka "fividtelefuzzerator") Youtube channel. I clicked on his channel out of curiosity in the summer of 2015 after stumbling upon the video Agamemnon Counterpart from a scary videos compilation. I enjoyed the music videos he uploaded, one of which was for Over The Horizon Radar. About a year or so later I first heard I Will Get It Tattooed in a YouTube Poop of Kazoo Kid by Jed Honour, which increased my interest in the duo.

Despite being interested in the group for a while, I did not get fully into them until 2018 when I listened to Geogaddi in full, then gradually listened to everything I could find by the lads. Fast forward to now: tonight I listened to TOBACCO's mix titled "Songs To Get Killed in the Woods To", and one of my favorite tracks from it was "Plotkin 70" by Dave From 2001. I then found out this was the same guy mentioned in the description of Agamemnon Counterpart, and also a member of these forums who created BoC inspired tracks and fakes. After reading some threads about him on this site I felt it was finally time to make an account here myself.

As far as my favorite album, I don't think I can pick, however some of my favorite tracks by the lads include: Over The Horizon Radar, I Will get it Tattooed, Aquarius (Version 3), Turquoise Hexagon Sun, Open The Light, The Devil Is In The Details, Satellite Anthem Icarus, Nothing is Real, Last Walk Around Mirror Lake, B09, and Staircase Whip

Friendly Stranger
Hello, I'm twenty one years old, from Portugal, and I've been a fan of Boards Of Canada ever since I found out about them at 14 years old, when "Reach For The Dead" dropped.

I've been aware of this forum for a long time now, but only now decided to join, because I started hearing a lot of Boards Of Canada again.

Looking forward to spend some good time in here, thanks to all of you!

Off the top of my head, some of my favorite BoC songs are: Dawn Chorus, Turquoise Hexagon Sun, Chromakey Dreamcoat, Melissa Juice, Pete Standing Alone and Kaini Industries. My favorite BoC album is Geogaddi.

Boqurant
How's it going friends? I've been a fan of BOC for years, and I've lurked Twoism and bocpages for longer than I care to admit. Finally decided to set up an account and find some other fans, because they're few and far between in my town. The update to Hell Interface, unamusedpirate's amazing video, and the general hype surrounding a potential new album were essentially the catalyst for the creation of this account.

Boards has meant a lot to me in different stages of my life and I almost can't remember a time when I didn't listen to them.

Some favorites include Hi-Scores EP, Music Has The Right, and Tomorrow's Harvest. But their entire discography is essentially perfect.

Honestly, I'm just tryin to dig up a copy of A Few Old Tunes in a warehouse somewhere.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Friendly Stranger
Hi, long time lurker here, just created an account today.

I first heard Boc on a school leavers trip to the South of France in Summer 1998. At an outdoor party, I asked the DJ, who the artist was (he was playing Olsen). Above the music, I could barely hear what he said and thought the name was Boots..something or other... Nobody around me seemed particularly phased by the music, but I was hooked and fell in love instantly.

Despite being only 90 seconds long, the track nearly moved me to tears. Maybe it was the feeling of school ending, the hot evening and the fact that this was probably the last time our wider group would all be together. The song hit me like a freight train, it seemed to sum up in some way the bittersweet mood of an end to an era.

I returned to the UK and went to a record shop (no Internet for me in those days) and tried in vain to enquire about said artist.

About a year later, I got the Internet and found Audiogalaxy, a p2p network and through searching for FourTet, on the recommendation of a friend, chanced upon BoC and downloaded MHRTTC. And loved it. Then, Olsen came on.

It's hard to believe that since I first heard them, 22 years ago, they have only released 3 albums. Needless to say, I have bought every Vinyl and CD since!

New Seed
Yo, I was brought up listening to Boards of canada and am still a huge fan, I just found this forum and couldn't resist joining!

New Seed
Hello, I'm here because of the hexagon sun film and the author, he or she referenced this forum so... I first heard Boc in 2001,"Kid for today" before that as far as electronic music went I liked leftfield, orbital, underworld, It was all getting a bit dull and I started listening to post rock stuff like Mogwai. Boc took a while to sink in, certainly wasn't instant but after Geogaddi I was all in. I live in the hinterland of Scotland, I'm nearly 50 I draw I record music for fun and keep fit. I sense a release from Boc soon, something in the air. It's been too long and waaaay too much has happened for them to not have anything to say. I hope Im right. Anyway Hello to thee all

I am alpha and omega - the beginning and the end

Peace x
Fantasy is as important as wisdom

New Seed
Long overdue signee here. I've lurked for a while now picking up some great nuggets of info over the years so big thanks to the knowledge of this community.

Among many things, I host and run a radio show titled New Seeds (spoiler alert, it's my favourite BOC track). If you want to know more check out the links.

Today I'm feeling this:

phpBB [media]

Friendly Stranger
Hello, long time fan here, since 98. New to the twoism community, a nice fellow looking for music production tips, and like minded musicians to possibly collab with. I play drums, guitars, and keys. Been studying and learning recording since 2007, don't know everything, but I'm getting more and more confident in my sound as time goes on. Been a musician since 1989, starting with drums and guitars. Just barely got my first polyphonic synth from sequential. Married, have two teenage daughters, a family man. Looking forward to the new BoC record to add to my collection. Huge fan of the campfire headphase and EPs. The minimal production style on iabpoitc is special to me and that track in particular always sets a great mood. Enjoy cooking, fishing and craft beers. Outdoors type.

Cheers!
Tony

New Seed
Hello there.

Found this place through the recent doc. Didn't know about this or other BOC boards I think because I don't really go looking for other fans. There's something so personal about BOC for me, I almost consider it my interior soundtrack much of the time. In my word IRL, I don't know more than a couple of people who even know who they are, so I don't have many opportunities to discuss them. But I've been listening intently since the mid 90's when I first became aware. I never get tired of them.

Today was an interesting BOC "use case". Taking a walk in the evening through our neighborhood here in the Seattle area, the AQI (air quality index) was near 300 (it should normally be under 50) due to the many forest fires here and down in Oregon. The sky was overcast with heavy smoke, the late afternoon light turning everything deep orange, nobody on the streets, BOC in my earbuds. I'm sure you folks can imagine that experience.

Anyway. Nice to meet you.

H

Friendly Stranger
Hello. I've listened to BoC intermittently since 2016 and for nearly as long have lurked around these forms, also intermittently. The new documentary, "This is Hexagon Sun," popped up in my YouTube recommendations recently and I figured I'd wander back into this distant musical hinterland. I have a feeling that BoC might soon be coming up with something to say musically, given how much human suffering the year 2020 has revealed, though I also understand that they can take whatever time they need to do that and I will not be disappointed either way.

My background is in Western classical music, which perhaps remains dearest to me in my musical life, but BoC has made itself a special and enduring place in my life by now. Tomorrow's Harvest, Geogaddi, and the Random 35 Tracks Tape helped me make sense, so to speak, of a dark time in my life, and The Campfire Headphase helped me emerge from that dark time, such that BoC has been permanently integrated into the background of my mind. I don't believe that dark experiences ought entirely to be forgotten—I doubt that is even realistic—and it is my hope and experience that music somehow allows one better to retain a memory and perspective of such experiences that enriches rather than upsets oneself in the present moment. I therefore have good reason to believe that BoC will remain relevant in my musical life however long I endure on this earth, and from what I've seen here, I suspect that has been other people's experience, too.

I'll see if I can come up with something good to say every so often. Until then, I wish you good health.
ἱμείρω ἡσυχίας

Friendly Stranger
Hello,
I came in to the fold around when TCH came out, recommended to me on the Queens of the Stone Age forum of all places when I asked for recommendations for “lush” music. Been a fan ever since. Seems like as good a time as any to join.

Posts Quantity
Lots of interesting stories and new people joining this year, welcome all!
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Sherbet Head
God guys, that must be years ago..
Sorry for my absence, but planning to be back here more :-).

I think it would be fair to introduce myself again.
My name is Emil, made some tunes back in the day, but not so much now.
Bought Korg 01/WPRO recently. Happy days.
And made some compilations the last year.

Divorced, two kids and finally having my life in order haha.

Hope all you guys are good as well!

One love in BOC <3

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada