GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Biznasty wrote:What are you guys hoping to hear from the next album?.

Something serene, blissful, and upbeat and not at all dark, depressing, or dystopian in any way, shape, or form.

Dayvan Cowboy
zeoevil wrote:

Something serene, blissful, and upbeat and not at all dark, depressing, or dystopian in any way, shape, or form.
I'm hoping for more bass solos.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
Way less cowbell than Tomorrows Harvest.

Eagle Minded
Biznasty wrote:What are you guys hoping to hear from the next album? The space theme that's been knocked around sounds pretty interesting to me, personally. I'd be interested to hear a continuous narrative space opera in album form from them. Or at the very least something with song transitions. Tomorrow's Harvest was lacking in that department.

That reddit post from months ago about the all black cover and the 10 minute track kind of mirrored what I'd like to see, except for the black cover. that doesn't feel right for boc and solid colour artwork is a tad boring, especially for boc... A ten minute track would be incredible though.

A post-punk-pop-drone-techno space odyssey with more symbolism and fan-theory-bait than ever before.

About the black cover, I don't really buy that being the actual cover for the new one. Especially not after Kanye's new album ... :lol:
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
An all black cover with a small grey logo is Autechre's LP5. That's why I doubt it's going to be that. The last thing BOC would do is rip off one of their labelmates

Edit: I'd also post my thoughts on a new album, but I think I've been doing that in this thread since 2019, so I'll spare you all :lol:
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:An all black cover with a small grey logo is Autechre's LP5. That's why I doubt it's going to be that. The last thing BOC would do is rip off one of their labelmates

Also other bands like Metallica, The Beatles, and The Damned have done similar, it would seem a little unimaginative honestly. Considering all their album art revolves around vintage inspired photography and psychedelia I doubt they'd break the trend. Nine Inch Nails did that with "Add Violence" and IMO it sticks out like a sore thumb.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
Biznasty wrote:What are you guys hoping to hear from the next album?

At this point, anything... but I do think more live instrumentation would be the most interesting direction for the bros. They've dabbled with it before, particularly on Headphase, but it'd be rad to actually hear them in full band mode. I still want the iconic BoC synth wizardry, I just think it would be neat to hear it wrapped around some psych rock, post-punk or jazz. SxT has a primary focus on those genres (alongside folk and disco) which makes me wonder if they're setting the scene for a more 'traditional' sounding release.

I'd also love to hear them tackle long-form ambient recordings, as a separate release. BoC's interludes are often their most magical moments, and imagining those on a larger scale gets me super excited.

Dayvan Cowboy
I keep imagining the recording process of the new album went a bit like this :D
phpBB [media]

(the fans being Lance Dior & Harold Boom trying to figure out what BoC are planning next)

Sherbet Head wrote:

At this point, anything... but I do think more live instrumentation would be the most interesting direction for the bros. They've dabbled with it before, particularly on Headphase, but it'd be rad to actually hear them in full band mode. I still want the iconic BoC synth wizardry, I just think it would be neat to hear it wrapped around some psych rock, post-punk or jazz. SxT has a primary focus on those genres (alongside folk and disco) which makes me wonder if they're setting the scene for a more 'traditional' sounding release.

I'd also love to hear them tackle long-form ambient recordings, as a separate release. BoC's interludes are often their most magical moments, and imagining those on a larger scale gets me super excited.

Agree with sherbet head that to have live instrumentation would be great, as i've always liked the punchyness of the drum backing on tracks like 1969 and EYDIAB.
One thing that BoC always put into their albums and EP's is a strong sense of mental imagery (which plays on the nostalgia theme) so one thing i have no doubt about is that when the upcoming project is announced, that is what i'm avidly going to be most excited about! :]
As for a theme, I'm thinking maybe a space rock/gong/steve hillage type sound.
Anticipation is building, and we're all along for the ride.

Eagle Minded

More Boards of Canada.

I'd like some more dark psychedelia like MHTRTC and Geogaddi but with the dense, crystalline production of TH.

Something more like TCH would be neat too.

Eagle Minded
zeoevil wrote:

I don't think that's possible with BoC :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:What are you guys hoping to hear from the next album? The space theme that's been knocked around sounds pretty interesting to me, personally. I'd be interested to hear a continuous narrative space opera in album form from them. Or at the very least something with song transitions. Tomorrow's Harvest was lacking in that department.

That reddit post from months ago about the all black cover and the 10 minute track kind of mirrored what I'd like to see, except for the black cover. that doesn't feel right for boc and solid colour artwork is a tad boring, especially for boc... A ten minute track would be incredible though.

Ancient god Jupiter transmision samples.

Posts Quantity
i am certain that anything they decide to record and release to the public will deeply satisfy me in more than a few ways that none, or very few artists are even capable of doing.
"R-Worded"

Posts Quantity
in other words, i hardly care / worry about what it might sound like

to outsiders it would seem weird but i have faith in Boards of Canada.

sometimes i like to imagine things they might do, but i really have no concern especially regarding whether or not their art will move me.

reading that back, it does sound kind of crazy, doesn't it?

but i know a lot of you reading this know exactly what i mean.
"R-Worded"

Friendly Stranger
IDM = It Doesn't Matter™.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Eagle Minded
I want to hear BOC do pure ambience.

Friendly Stranger
A boc ambient album would be a dream come true. Imagine if they did a collaboration with Wolfgang Voigt…

Eagle Minded
Some of my favourite tracks are beatless. Sundown, Untitled Live etc.

Posts Quantity
Wildfire wrote:Some of my favourite tracks are beatless. Sundown, Untitled Live etc.

Which untitled track? Flute Frum Thing?
Fly!

Eagle Minded
Wildfire wrote:Some of my favourite tracks are beatless. Sundown, Untitled Live etc.

Sundown is so beautiful.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think it is obligatory for them to put something chineese in their music. I want my chineese lady sampled talking about arrival at the designated high speed-rail train station.

Also, some ideas for the album cover, I think that foggy abandoned Nara dreamland image would be cool.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada