GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
I'm not sure what to say. Things are a lot different since Geogaddi times all around. The music business has drastically changed. BoC are not a touring act so they most likely have day jobs and raising kids, etc. Not saying it's over, but surely they don't have as much time on their hands as they once did. If fans aren't buying the music, Spotify isn't paying them anything. Think about it. The hardcore fans will absolutely purchase albums but there are some who won't, simply because of the way the music business is now ran. It also takes an insane amount of focus and energy to produce a BoC album. Not saying they don't have it in them, just saying it might take them a bit longer than previous times and that's perfectly OK. As a community we need to be OK with BoC releasing an album whenever they can. It could happen tomorrow, it could happen next year, 2025, either way, let them do their thing. They like to fine tune all the mixes and spend a ton of time on edits, extremely detailed, perfectionists, let's all relax and let them work, no pressure.

Eagle Minded
synchrodub wrote:I'm not sure what to say. Things are a lot different since Geogaddi times all around. The music business has drastically changed. BoC are not a touring act so they most likely have day jobs and raising kids, etc. Not saying it's over, but surely they don't have as much time on their hands as they once did. If fans aren't buying the music, Spotify isn't paying them anything. Think about it. The hardcore fans will absolutely purchase albums but there are some who won't, simply because of the way the music business is now ran. It also takes an insane amount of focus and energy to produce a BoC album. Not saying they don't have it in them, just saying it might take them a bit longer than previous times and that's perfectly OK. As a community we need to be OK with BoC releasing an album whenever they can. It could happen tomorrow, it could happen next year, 2025, either way, let them do their thing. They like to fine tune all the mixes and spend a ton of time on edits, extremely detailed, perfectionists, let's all relax and let them work, no pressure.

I think most of us understand this pretty well. Were just excited is all, eager to hear something new. Very few of us would actually get mad to find out a BoC album is still years out.
no information at this moment in time

Eagle Minded
BoC have been liking heaps of comments on instagram, has this been happening this whole time?

Friendly Stranger
Roswell wrote:
synchrodub wrote:I'm not sure what to say. Things are a lot different since Geogaddi times all around. The music business has drastically changed. BoC are not a touring act so they most likely have day jobs and raising kids, etc. Not saying it's over, but surely they don't have as much time on their hands as they once did. If fans aren't buying the music, Spotify isn't paying them anything. Think about it. The hardcore fans will absolutely purchase albums but there are some who won't, simply because of the way the music business is now ran. It also takes an insane amount of focus and energy to produce a BoC album. Not saying they don't have it in them, just saying it might take them a bit longer than previous times and that's perfectly OK. As a community we need to be OK with BoC releasing an album whenever they can. It could happen tomorrow, it could happen next year, 2025, either way, let them do their thing. They like to fine tune all the mixes and spend a ton of time on edits, extremely detailed, perfectionists, let's all relax and let them work, no pressure.

I think most of us understand this pretty well. Were just excited is all, eager to hear something new. Very few of us would actually get mad to find out a BoC album is still years out.

Cool. What if it's finished? What do you think their process is regarding final mixing? I imagine they sit with tracks for a while before mastering just to be 100% certain no changes are needed. The track constants are changing always felt like to me that was their way of letting us know a bit of the process. Slow this bird down. A lot of the song titles and placement of things to me seems like a roadmap or a guide. When recording, I often use BoC as reference material. They give away a lot of helpful information and often do it unintentionally. That's what I look forward to the most, the teaching aspects of it all. I just want to learn. Hoping the new record brings back some of the soaring without fear, the freedom, the cool guitars. Don't get me wrong, TH is a great record, but it's not the same headspace as campfire and campfire headphase is the most beautiful ride, just an absolute amazing record all around, extremely organic. TH drums got a bit too processed in some areas, and the fear aspect gets tiring.

Dayvan Cowboy
synchrodub wrote:
Roswell wrote:

Cool. What if it's finished? What do you think their process is regarding final mixing? I imagine they sit with tracks for a while before mastering just to be 100% certain no changes are needed. The track constants are changing always felt like to me that was their way of letting us know a bit of the process. Slow this bird down. A lot of the song titles and placement of things to me seems like a roadmap or a guide. When recording, I often use BoC as reference material. They give away a lot of helpful information and often do it unintentionally. That's what I look forward to the most, the teaching aspects of it all. I just want to learn. Hoping the new record brings back some of the soaring without fear, the freedom, the cool guitars. Don't get me wrong, TH is a great record, but it's not the same headspace as campfire and campfire headphase is the most beautiful ride, just an absolute amazing record all around, extremely organic. TH drums got a bit too processed in some areas, and the fear aspect gets tiring.

I know it's not popular to say but I prefer Campfire Headphase miles above Tomorrow's Harvest. It's their organic, hippie record and my friend plays it whenever we go hiking. With TH, I feel that they made an average post apocalyptic album and the stuff that inspired it (i.e. Tangerine Dream) is just as good if not better.

I think you're in luck if you want a return back to that "soaring" sound. The remix of Sometimes has the same kind of majestic build up feel as Davyan Cowboy. For the longest time, I believed that Sometimes is how their new album would sound, but nowadays I'm not so sure. I feel they cannot let the drama of this year go untouched with another positive album.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Friendly Stranger
Sometimes when communicating, can't take me so serious. I will say this though, I'm not sure where I heard this if it was from the band or not, but it was suggested that TH was a follow up to Geogaddi. Makes no sense. Geogaddi is extremely positive, like a real good mushroom trip, top notch work, extremely organic. The darkest parts of Geogaddi contain a lot of light. TH has an undertone of anger that was new to my ears, there are songs that are easily forgettable, unable to listen to the whole record without falling asleep or getting bored. None of the other records have this effect. Something was going on during the creation of that record that spoiled the trip for the listener. It's a very careless album. They did not put the same amount of effort into the production as campfire headphase or geogaddi, something was way off. In a way, it was almost overdone. With all of this said, there are a few standout tracks that are extremely powerful. Cold Earth, Sundown and Come to Dust stand out the most. A drastic change from campfire headphase. All the light organic drums, feedback, heavily layered tones, tv shows and synths, guitars, field recordings. A highly evolving blend of organic rightousness campfire headphase is then TH was so angry, hard to understand why they chose that route sometimes.

Dayvan Cowboy
synchrodub wrote:Sometimes when communicating, can't take me so serious. I will say this though, I'm not sure where I heard this if it was from the band or not, but it was suggested that TH was a follow up to Geogaddi. Makes no sense. Geogaddi is extremely positive, like a real good mushroom trip, top notch work, extremely organic. The darkest parts of Geogaddi contain a lot of light. TH has an undertone of anger that was new to my ears, there are songs that are easily forgettable, unable to listen to the whole record without falling asleep or getting bored. None of the other records have this effect. Something was going on during the creation of that record that spoiled the trip for the listener. It's a very careless album. They did not put the same amount of effort into the production as campfire headphase or geogaddi, something was way off. In a way, it was almost overdone. With all of this said, there are a few standout tracks that are extremely powerful. Cold Earth, Sundown and Come to Dust stand out the most. A drastic change from campfire headphase. All the light organic drums, feedback, heavily layered tones, tv shows and synths, guitars, field recordings. A highly evolving blend of organic rightousness campfire headphase is then TH was so angry, hard to understand why they chose that route sometimes.

You can sense how cynical they were in the TH era interviews too. It fits right in with the mentality of Harvest: "Western society is growing more nihilistic and we're all going to hell in a handbasket." I cannot say they're wrong, but it's sad to see the guys who once put light at the end of the tunnel with Geogaddi, end with Seeds of the Dead where you can tell that humanity is over, dead and buried. Makes me think they should play it over the screen in Chrono Trigger when Lavos destroys the world-"But in the end, the future refused to change."

Was very happy to hear Sisters and Sometimes after Harvest. Like flowers growing in the cracked sidewalks of post apocalpytic San Francisco, they give me hope that BOC hadn't given up on the world just yet. Maybe they do still see light in some circumstance.
Last edited by Echelon on Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
synchrodub wrote:Sometimes when communicating, can't take me so serious. I will say this though, I'm not sure where I heard this if it was from the band or not, but it was suggested that TH was a follow up to Geogaddi. Makes no sense. Geogaddi is extremely positive, like a real good mushroom trip, top notch work, extremely organic. The darkest parts of Geogaddi contain a lot of light. TH has an undertone of anger that was new to my ears, there are songs that are easily forgettable, unable to listen to the whole record without falling asleep or getting bored. None of the other records have this effect. Something was going on during the creation of that record that spoiled the trip for the listener. It's a very careless album. They did not put the same amount of effort into the production as campfire headphase or geogaddi, something was way off. In a way, it was almost overdone. With all of this said, there are a few standout tracks that are extremely powerful. Cold Earth, Sundown and Come to Dust stand out the most. A drastic change from campfire headphase. All the light organic drums, feedback, heavily layered tones, tv shows and synths, guitars, field recordings. A highly evolving blend of organic rightousness campfire headphase is then TH was so angry, hard to understand why they chose that route sometimes.

What....? There are plenty of memorable tracks on TH. I dont find it boring at all, desolate might be a much better word. I feel like TH certainly is a hard listen but that's only because us a humans dont like to feel alone or experience desolation. I think it's a tough listen for some people only because it does display sounds in quite a sad and horrific way. Nothing Is Real is easily the lightest track on the album but even that track is quite dark and lonesome, especially towards te 2nd half. Although Palace Posey is dark and the beginning with a VERY uplifting and light towards the ending.

It certainly is a strange record, but as far as sound design and conception goes I'm sure they put a ton of effot and time into making Tomorrows Harvest what it is. I agree with you fully about Geogaddi though.

seaburn wrote:I think the most important thing to remember is that Warp is focused on promoting Autechre right now. I can’t recall a time where they had two simultaneously big marketing campaigns going at once. If Ae is start of Q4 2020, I would imagine BoC wouldn’t be any earlier than Q1 2021.

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Mexicola wrote:
seaburn wrote:I think the most important thing to remember is that Warp is focused on promoting Autechre right now. I can’t recall a time where they had two simultaneously big marketing campaigns going at once. If Ae is start of Q4 2020, I would imagine BoC wouldn’t be any earlier than Q1 2021.

Is the marketing for SIGN even considered as a "big" marketing campaign? Seems like it was just "new album coming" and that was it, not even a single or a teaser. Although I guess that they are running actual ads, still... why exactly can't the marketing campaigns overlap? SIGN is coming out in October, doesnt that leave November or December wide open for Warp?

Boqurant
Mexicola wrote:

Tomorrow's Harvest came out 4 months after Exai

Sherbet Head

I know it's an opinion but you make quite a few bold statements there. If you cannot listen to the whole record 'without getting bored or falling asleep' as you put it, then I think the fault does not lie with the creator but more with the listener. Maybe you need to actually be in the mood to properly enjoy the album. Or to actually appreciate its merits in the context of the concept of the album.

There is actually something beautiful and comforting about desolation, destruction and death, strange as that may sound. It is part of life, whether we want that or not. Also I don't think that they necessarily prescribe solely to the perspective they present with Tomorrow's Harvest. It is just a perspective, a theme. And social commentary described with sounds instead of the usual words or imagery.

Therefore I strongly disagree with your statement that it is a careless album. The sound production alone is better than all their previous albums and the details and nuances they put in are many. I also find it fascinating that they took the time to explore such a relevant but difficult topic. Finally I think TH actually has the most standout tracks of all their albums, while still feeling like a perfectly constructed coherent narrative.

But to each their own of course ;)
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... live_video

Black Dog is now making QandA live. You technically could ask about that remix they made for BOC.

Posts Quantity
arvy wrote:https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=2858706284359982&ref=notif&notif_id=1599815594080714&notif_t=live_video

Black Dog is now making QandA live. You technically could ask about that remix they made for BOC.

Just opened this and he was like: "Stay save everyone! Bye." lmao :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Kreide wrote:
arvy wrote:https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=2858706284359982&ref=notif&notif_id=1599815594080714&notif_t=live_video

Just opened this and he was like: "Stay save everyone! Bye." lmao :lol:

He didn't asnwer my question. I'm sure if more people would ask that he sure would. Tho, he said that he would be very happy to play together live with Autechre. Tho, he's not sure about people dancing to Ae music :lol:

Posts Quantity

Friendly Stranger
Gazebo4 wrote: Also I don't think that they necessarily prescribe solely to the perspective they present with Tomorrow's Harvest. It is just a perspective, a theme. And social commentary described with sounds instead of the usual words or imagery.

This. The album is filled with references to false narratives, deception, and cognitive dead ends. (“White Cyclosa”, “chemtrails”, “America Under Siege”, “Telepath” (Stargate project).) This suggests that the doom and gloom of “Semena Mertvykh” might not be any more serious than a downer twist ending on a horror video.

Eagle Minded
Geogaddi made a lot more sense to me after I looked into the whole Brach Dividians / Wako massacre thing

Friendly Stranger
synchrodub wrote:It's a very careless album. They did not put the same amount of effort into the production as campfire headphase or geogaddi, something was way off.

The finished product wasn’t to your liking. Everyone’s taste is different, and there are no right or wrong answers. But “careless”? I couldn’t agree less. If you think for a second they didn’t pay very close attention to every detail of that album, I don’t know what to tell you.

Posts Quantity
Agreed. Why is this even up for discussion in this thread?

By the way, every BOC has a downer song at or near the end—Happy Cycling, Corsair, Slow This Bird Down—just when you think you’re out, they pull you right back in.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada