GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
rodox_head wrote:
NorthSaturnian wrote:
rodox_head wrote:Salty Tangerine Icewater

it's too orangey for crows

I imagine that's an apt description of Kia Ora, I know for sure it's a 100% accurate description of Sunny D.
pilot12 wrote:Imagine if they did an aphex twin and have been releasing music under a new secret alias this whole time. That would be the most reasonable thing to do if they ever decided to switch up their style for a bit.

Considering how all over the place their influences have been, I wouldn't be too surprised. It would probably be the case if they wanted to make more stuff in the vein of The Campfire Headphase for example. Didn't that album see some divisive opinions due to its stylistic departure?

No.

the idea that TCH is a "stylistic departure" is a huge misconception, and personally i find it a little confusing why anyone thinks this.. it is known that shoegazey sound and warm acoustic sound is part of who / what they are and dates back to their unreleased work. i also just don't even see any departure really, it's all there in TCH.... slightly less sample heavy but no less BoC.
"R-Worded"

Friendly Stranger
Imo TCH seems like an ode to the past of sorts for boc and some part of me makes me think that a large part of it is probably stuff from catalog 3, etc that they reused

Posts Quantity
if they have other secret projects that are actually released publicly which i highly doubt, it would probably be almost completely different than Boards of Canada, like maybe an actual band or something.

hiiiiiiiighly doubt it though, personally i think BoC is probably enough for them
"R-Worded"

Dayvan Cowboy
ColinWallis wrote:
rodox_head wrote:Considering how all over the place their influences have been, I wouldn't be too surprised. It would probably be the case if they wanted to make more stuff in the vein of The Campfire Headphase for example. Didn't that album see some divisive opinions due to its stylistic departure?

No.

the idea that TCH is a "stylistic departure" is a huge misconception, and personally i find it a little confusing why anyone thinks this.. it is known that shoegazey sound and warm acoustic sound is part of who / what they are and dates back to their unreleased work. i also just don't even see any departure really, it's all there in TCH.... slightly less sample heavy but no less BoC.

I admit, that was a poor choice of words on my part, and I certainly don't believe it to be uncharacteristic of the guys to make such a record, but I feel like of the 4 albums, TCH sticks out the most, which was more by design I think. That in itself is also a reductive observation, since everything past their debut does that to a degree. When I got into them Trans Canada Highway had only been out a few years so I just had BoCpages to go on which briefly mentioned something like some divisive opinions with its release which must have been exaggerated in my head over time.

TLDR: I have no idea what I'm talking about at this point.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
TCH I think creates the idea in the heads of listeners that it is stylistically different because of its more overt inclusion of guitar sampling. I don't see it as sounding different from their other music on a whole, but I do hear a very different atmosphere in that record than say, Geogaddi. But I think every single record by them has that.

Back to speculation, I still think we will have something in 2022. I don't mean a record necessarily, but something substantial

Dayvan Cowboy
Bleep just sent out this tweet, A promo for geogaddi on vinyl
https://mobile.twitter.com/bleep/status/1449804906689224712

Friendly Stranger
Doubt it means anything sadly

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Bleep just sent out this tweet, A promo for geogaddi on vinyl
https://mobile.twitter.com/bleep/status/1449804906689224712

exact copy of their august geogaddi tweet, lol. i wonder if the bros will like this one too
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
sandrail wrote:https://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/boards-of-canada/wouldnt-you-like-to-be-free/

Uhh, what the hell is this?
I know it's an obvious fake but does anyone have this thing? I'm collecting a bunch of fake BoC tracks for a compilation "BoC Minima".

It's not a fake, it's a mixtape. They just gave fan titles to some of the unknown live tracks.

Dayvan Cowboy
One more week and we'll finally be out of the "Nightmares On Wax" era, and then the next week, we'll finally be out of the "Mira Calix" era. And then hopefully the BOC era?

I'm not so sure. The rest of Warp's stable of artists probably have to release something first :P
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Let me chime in on the topic of which album sticks out the most by citing someone who knows best:
Mike: Our next project will be radically different from what we've done before, but we don't want to talk about that right now. We wanted to do a series of albums with Music Has The Right To Children, Geogaddi and Campfire Headphase that you can look back on and see a common thread. I think if you look at these three albums together, you can understand that they form a complete set.
Source: https://bocpages.org/wiki/O_Brothers_Where_Art_Thou (2005 interview)

But yes that's just his opinion, everyone can feel different about the album sticking out most.
Music is all about your own feelings and perception anyways.

Posts Quantity
I think the new album might be more synth based, less apocalyptic but still uncanny and bittersweet. The drums will be a bit slower, a bit funkier, and distorted. Something out of MHTRTC. However, with that, there's going to be a hint of the fear you had as a kid of nuclear war in it. Essentially the feeling of the album would be the whole thing of accepting the inevitable. Like ATP-02, where it has hints of MHTRTC, but also hints of Geogaddi.
Fly!

Dayvan Cowboy
Talking to a friend, I've come to realize what "Treat Em Right" was-- a small oasis for our long trek through the IDM desert to our next destination. Another chance for us to refuel for the next part of the journey.

Desert analogies aside, it was a way to remind us that things are continuing on. It won't be this year, but you never know, it could possibly be the next.

Posts Quantity
Didn't they say they would be doing something like Geogaddi in 2022?
Fly!

Dayvan Cowboy
sandrail wrote:Didn't they say they would be doing something like Geogaddi in 2022?

I've not heard that before or read it in any interviews.

Dayvan Cowboy
sandrail wrote:Didn't they say they would be doing something like Geogaddi in 2022?

If you can find the source for that, I'd be very happy.

Dayvan Cowboy
2020 release speculation date fas wun around 2017. The whole idea one album per decade. 2022-02-22 was nicely fit in win Geogadi anniversary. I honestly don't know. I think they should skip it and drop new music on a random day. Tho, I would prefer an early spring date, it is just the spring weather which fills my brain with endorphins. Tho, I'm talking about northern hemisphere. Sending love to my Australia friends.

On a serious note, if they have a finished work, release it already and that's all. Absolutely no any drama. Just strict business. Dollar for music.

Sherbet Head

Dayvan Cowboy
northernlite wrote:888

So you're saying we have another 200 years ahead of us?
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada