GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
rodox_head wrote:
Echelon wrote:To quote a wise sage from a PS1 rapping game: "You gotta believe!"
phpBB [media]

"You must expect the unexpected, and be prepared for what is not there"
-Lateef the dragon

I hope that the next album is a tribute to the dank games from the PS1 era XD

Honestly music from that time frame is so amazing and memorable. Spyro, Crash, Metal Gear, Zelda, Gran Turismo, FFVII.... the list goes on...
As always I never fail to find the connections.
In my youth I heard the rumor and thought that it was Mark Mothersbaugh who composed those soundtracks, but I was wrong.
Fascinating to find its actually the drummer from Police, Stewart Copeland who's from my home state VA! And also Scottish American!!

Also great quote from Lateef the dragon!
I agree! :wink:

Friendly Stranger
raybshot wrote:I sorta doubt we’ll get an announcement this year since its already mid-September, but I’m keeping an open mind to the whole “expectations” thing. Odds are that we’ll see the album within the next year or two— especially now that we know one is on its way.

With Bibio and Plaid closing the year for Warp, it looks like 2023 is the year. Now they'll get to market it with the "first album in ten years" blurb.

It didn't even dawn on me that Warp could be holding the record back for the "first album in a decade" angle. Let's hope. Maybe the press release will mention a 1000+ page speculation thread on a ~*fan forum*~
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:It didn't even dawn on me that Warp could be holding the record back for the "first album in a decade" angle. Let's hope. Maybe the press release will mention a 1000+ page speculation thread on a ~*fan forum*~

The Bibio/Plaid announcement was a much needed blood transfusion in my long dying interest. I do hope they'll give us one more sign this year before 2023 if that is indeed the release date.

Come on BOC, one more sign and I can sit tight and wait patiently :D
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Warp 2023 guesses

-Not sure about Aphex
-Squarepusher is likely
-Autechre will at least release 22Live
-Flying Lotus is possible, but he's also making his movie so maybe not
-Death Grips might finally debut on Warp
-Battles are due
-Danny Brown is possible
-Kelly Moran is possible
-Seefeel, doubt, but they are overdue
-Oneohtrix Point Never is due
-Mira Calix might have archive materials released
-Mount Kimbie is possible
-BoC is absolutely 100% going to happen

The rest I didn't list are likely not going to release anything as a lot of them have released albums not too long ago, or I just don't really care enough to have a guess.

Eagle Minded
demo wrote:Warp 2023 guesses

-Not sure about Aphex
-Squarepusher is likely
-Battles are due
-Danny Brown is possible
-Kelly Moran is possible

The rest I didn't list are likely not going to release anything as a lot of them have released albums not too long ago, or I just don't really care enough to have a guess.

Aphex is either in 'release everything everywhere' mode or 'release nothing and hide from everyone' mode. Right now, we're in the latter and I expect it to continue for a while longer, but it would sure be nice to get a new album from him soon!

It'd be nice to hear something new from Squarepusher too, especially considering Be Up A Hello (and its companion EP) were an absolute return to form.

FlyLo definitely seems more interested in movies/visual art at the moment, but it's been a while since Flamagra came out so he's probably banked a fair amount of tracks since then. In all honesty, it's been years since I enjoyed any of his projects so maybe he needs some time out after all. :wink:

Crazy to think it's coming up two years since Sign/Plus, so it wouldn't surprise me if we got new Autechre in 2023. Sean at least confirmed that Confield and Draft would be getting reissued too, so I assume that will happen next year if we don't get any new material.

Death Grips were recently teasing the date 21/09/22 on their website, but this has since been removed, so whatever's going on there is basically anyone's guess. We'll know for sure next week!

I'd say the Danny Brown record is fairly imminent. IIRC, it's been done for a while, so maybe they've been waiting on sample clearances or general industry delays to get the thing out. My guess is the tail end of this year, or Q1 '23 at the latest.

OPN's clearly been busy producing other artists as of late, but he never keeps us waiting too long between releases, so I'd like to think we'll get a new album next year. He also mentioned releasing a live album of his Rifts/Replica/Returnal rework project, which is definitely getting me excited!

It very much seems like a new Mount Kimbie album will be coming out next year. It was heavily implied when they recently dropped their EP.

I'm hoping for a new one from Yves Tumor too. He's weaved some newer songs into his live sets this year, so something is clearly being worked on. Also it makes sense he'd get something out soonish to ride the wave of his recent success.

As for BoC? Yeah, it's gotta happen. 8)

Boqurant
demo wrote:Warp 2023 guesses

-Not sure about Aphex
-Squarepusher is likely
-Battles are due
-Danny Brown is possible
-Kelly Moran is possible

Battles seems to release an album every four years, so 2023 would be right on schedule. Assuming yet another member doesn't leave.

Pusher tends to release every 1-3 years, so very likely.

Aphex might go into hiding for awhile, but I imagine he'll probably dump a few things on Soundcloud. He's also said a handful of controversial things that might get him in trouble. But it's hard to tell whenever he's being serious.

I think a BOC release for 2023 could easily happen. A decade feels more than enough to make an LP. It wouldn't shock me if it was their last, however. The BOC Boys are in their 50s now. It wouldn't surprise me if an old dusty RIP of Acid Memories pops up somewhere before 2030. It can't stay hidden forever.

I don't really listen to the rest.

Eagle Minded
I don’t think we’ll have to wait till 2023 for new BoC.
preparation for a dive.

Boqurant
tonx wrote:I don’t think we’ll have to wait till 2023 for new BoC.

pics or it didnt happen

Dayvan Cowboy

I want this to happen so bad but I feel the schedule is too loaded up now. Fortunately with artists who interest me deeply.

Though if you are right I will be endlessly thankful.

Eagle Minded

All the months are taken, Warp 2022 is stacked now, the only free month now is December and I kinda doubt that's when it'll be.

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:
All the months are taken, Warp 2022 is stacked now, the only free month now is December and I kinda doubt that's when it'll be.

The idea of a BOC xmas album caused me instant physical and emotional distress, I need to go and cuddle with a capybara.
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
Magrathea wrote:
demo wrote:

The idea of a BOC xmas album caused me instant physical and emotional distress, I need to go and cuddle with a capybara.

Dayvan Cowboy
hexagonFox wrote:
Honestly music from that time frame is so amazing and memorable. Spyro, Crash, Metal Gear, Zelda, Gran Turismo, FFVII.... the list goes on...
In my youth I heard the rumor and thought that it was Mark Mothersbaugh who composed those soundtracks, but I was wrong.
Fascinating to find its actually the drummer from Police, Stewart Copeland who's from my home state VA! And also Scottish American!!

Stewart Copeland was always the cool guy in the Police. As much as I love Sting, he's one of the most self interested individuals on the planet.

With Stew, I could actually imagine chilling and playing Spyro 2 all day. At least that's how he seems :P

That said, I digress, but here's hoping Tonx is right :) I'd love to be team 2022 since this was an awesomely great year for music

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
hexagonFox wrote:

Stewart Copeland was always the cool guy in the Police. As much as I love Sting, he's one of the most self interested individuals on the planet.

With Stew, I could actually imagine chilling and playing Spyro 2 all day. At least that's how he seems :P
That sounds accurate :)
phpBB [media]

You can hear some of that Spyro "flair" in some of the Police songs he wrote like "Reggatta de Blanc"(co-wrote), "It's Alright for You", and "Bombs Away". He's my favorite drummer :D .
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
hexagonFox wrote:

"There's only one C-Man drummer, and that's Copeland."
phpBB [media]

Always reminded of this full on spur-of-the-moment Police debate halfway through the sketch! :wink:

Sherbet Head
I just wanted to chime in and say that I really enjoyed that bit. Great banter between two aquatic pals.

Eagle Minded
A Series of Theories:

- They started work on LP5 in 2016 after the death of David Bowie (hence why they started liking tweets in 2016). They're new approach to fan communication was minimal but steady with the likes, instead of using people like MDG who in the past, through no fault of their own, gave incorrect information. (see: TH 2010 delay) They didn't know when it was going to release so they didn't want to risk giving false info.

This gives credence to that one comment who said they were half way done an album in 2018: 2016, 2017, 2018 (halfway), 2019 (SXT), 2020, 2021 (album done)

- They uploaded the deepfake when the finished the album and sent it to Warp (April 2021)

- They stopped liking tweets about new music once the release date was actually set and the album was put in the warp schedule. Marketing is now in Warp's hands. (June 2022)

This is also why MDG finally reached out to babylulu in June when the original message was sent back in March. The album was finally set for release and they felt they could solidly confirm that it was happening.

- LP5 will release close to the Tomorrow's Harvest 10th anniversary. Warp decided since we're was so close to the 10, they'll want to milk that for advertising purposes. This means that we will see LP5 release within the next 8 months. The countdown to the 10th anniversary of TH is a deadline for LP5.

(This one I don't actually believe but I'm posting it incase it turns out to be true so I can say I called it)
- The Stargate Zine was delayed because LP5 was delayed. It does actually have a new interview, and obviously they aren't going to release that a year in advance. We'll see that drop next year.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Biznasty wrote:A Series of Theories:

- They started work on LP5 in 2016 after the death of David Bowie (hence why they started liking tweets in 2016). They're new approach to fan communication was minimal but steady with the likes, instead of using people like MDG who in the past, through no fault of their own, gave incorrect information. (see: TH 2010 delay) They didn't know when it was going to release so they didn't want to risk giving false info.

This gives credence to that one comment who said they were half way done an album in 2018: 2016, 2017, 2018 (halfway), 2019 (SXT), 2020, 2021 (album done)

- They uploaded the deepfake when the finished the album and sent it to Warp (April 2021)

- They stopped liking tweets about new music once the release date was actually set and the album was put in the warp schedule. Marketing is now in Warp's hands. (June 2022)

This is also why MDG finally reached out to babylulu in June when the original message was sent back in March. The album was finally set for release and they felt they could solidly confirm that it was happening.

- LP5 will release close to the Tomorrow's Harvest 10th anniversary. Warp decided since we're was so close to the 10, they'll want to milk that for advertising purposes. This means that we will see LP5 release within the next 8 months. The countdown to the 10th anniversary of TH is a deadline for LP5.

(This one I don't actually believe but I'm posting it incase it turns out to be true so I can say I called it)
- The Stargate Zine was delayed because LP5 was delayed. It does actually have a new interview, and obviously they aren't going to release that a year in advance. We'll see that drop next year.

boom, my 3 favorite theories in bold

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:
Biznasty wrote:A Series of Theories:

boom, my 3 favorite theories in bold
What was the deepfake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada