GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:
demo wrote:Speaking of 5th album, anyone notice that BoC now have 1 track from each of their 4 albums on instagram? I wonder what the 5th upload will be...

Slightly hyped about this. I know I shouldn't be but...you never know. ;)

So for those us who don't use Instagram, what are the four tracks? And are they in order of the albums?

You should be able to access their instagram without an account here: https://www.instagram.com/boardsofcanada/?hl=en

Eagle Minded
PerniciousKnid wrote:
Zephyr Method wrote:
PerniciousKnid wrote:So on IG BoC clapped for this comment by Andy.j.thatcher - any idea what it means?

Apparently it’s the first public comment by BoC in 7 years? Is that correct?

Andy, are you in here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a LOTTT of talk about that. Nobody could come to any conclusions except that it "must not be BoC, must be warp operating their account for them".
A bit of research and I think I might have answered my own question. What do y’all think?

“Toynbee idea: resurrect dead”

Arnold J. Toynbee

From wiki:

Arnold J. Toynbee

British historian, a philosopher of history, an author of numerous books and a research professor of international history at the London School of Economics and King's College in the University of London.

Canadian historians were especially receptive to Toynbee's work in the late 1940s. The Canadian economic historian Harold Adams Innis (1894–1952) was a notable example. Following Toynbee and others (Spengler, Kroeber, Sorokin, Cochrane), Innis examined the flourishing of civilisations in terms of administration of empires and media of communication.[12]

Toynbee's overall theory was taken up by some scholars, for example, Ernst Robert Curtius, as a sort of paradigm in the post-war period. Curtius wrote as follows in the opening pages of European Literature and the Latin Middle Ages (1953 English translation), following close on Toynbee, as he sets the stage for his vast study of medieval Latin literature. Curtius wrote, "How do cultures, and the historical entities which are their media, arise, grow and decay? Only a comparative morphology with exact procedures can hope to answer these questions. It was Arnold J. Toynbee who undertook the task."[13]

That's what the phrase "Toynbee Idea: resurrect dead" refers to but the specific phrase "Toynbee Idea: Resurrect Dead" is from the famous unsolved mystery of the Toynbee tiler, a man widely believed to be a hermit called Severino Verna who has placed homemade tiles into road surfaces with tar paper mostly in Philadelphia but quite a few further afield. There's a movie about it called Resurrect Dead where they investigate it and it's absolutely brilliant.

I recorded an album back in 2013 that had a few songs about the Toynbee Tiler so if this clap from BoC means they're doing the same, I'll be calling them out for plagiarism immediately :D (kidding)

Friendly Stranger
Sl Flk wrote:Maybe BoC announce this album... Telepathically.

One, two, three, four, FIIIIIIIIIIVE

Eagle Minded
That's what the phrase "Toynbee Idea: resurrect dead" refers to but the specific phrase "Toynbee Idea: Resurrect Dead" is from the famous unsolved mystery of the Toynbee tiler, a man widely believed to be a hermit called Severino Verna who has placed homemade tiles into road surfaces with tar paper mostly in Philadelphia but quite a few further afield. There's a movie about it called Resurrect Dead where they investigate it and it's absolutely brilliant.

I recorded an album back in 2013 that had a few songs about the Toynbee Tiler so if this clap from BoC means they're doing the same, I'll be calling them out for plagiarism immediately :D (kidding)[/quote]

Tonights viewing then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAsB_tJ_jk

Posts Quantity
Sl Flk wrote:That's what the phrase "Toynbee Idea: resurrect dead" refers to but the specific phrase "Toynbee Idea: Resurrect Dead" is from the famous unsolved mystery of the Toynbee tiler, a man widely believed to be a hermit called Severino Verna who has placed homemade tiles into road surfaces with tar paper mostly in Philadelphia but quite a few further afield. There's a movie about it called Resurrect Dead where they investigate it and it's absolutely brilliant.

I recorded an album back in 2013 that had a few songs about the Toynbee Tiler so if this clap from BoC means they're doing the same, I'll be calling them out for plagiarism immediately :D (kidding)

Tonights viewing then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAsB_tJ_jk[/quote]Weird thing is that the Toynbee tiles starts back with the historian writer I mentioned earlier - Arnold J Toynbee.

Whom apparently influenced Ray Bradbury, the creator of the Toynbee tiles and quite possibly BoC?

In 1983, a man identifying himself as a social worker named James Morasco contacted talk shows and newspapers with his theory of colonizing Jupiter with the dead inhabitants of Earth, claiming to have come across the idea while reading a book by historian Arnold Toynbee.

In a conversation with The Philadelphia Inquirer, Morasco discussed how Toynbee's book contained a theory on bringing dead molecules back to life and that this was later depicted in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. The caller had founded what the Inquirer called a "Jupiter colonization organization", known as the Minority Association.

Sherbet Head
I kinda want something to follow now, come on Boc hurry up!
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:I kinda want something to follow now, come on Boc hurry up!

lol

Boqurant
Man things sure move fast in here. I'm having fun tho.
I can't wait to see this place when something official happens. :D
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Sherbet Head
It's nice to see it alive yeah.
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
an ordinary guy: this is just music!
boc fan: lol, this is so much more

tripping while collapse is glooming outside

Dayvan Cowboy
Not normally into social media numerology, but I'm still kind of curious what the fifth Instagram video and the 70th twitter post will be. Both magic numbers in this case
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:Not normally into social media numerology, but I'm still kind of curious what the fifth Instagram video and the 70th twitter post will be. Both magic numbers in this case

What are the chances that it's something new? I mean each song is from a main LP.
Olson - MHTRTC
Nothing Is Real - TH
In The Annexe - Geogaddi
Macquarie Ridge - TCH
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Dayvan Cowboy
happy_cycling wrote:
Echelon wrote:Not normally into social media numerology, but I'm still kind of curious what the fifth Instagram video and the 70th twitter post will be. Both magic numbers in this case

What are the chances that it's something new? I mean each song is from a main LP.
Olson - MHTRTC
Nothing Is Real - TH
In The Annexe - Geogaddi
Macquarie Ridge - TCH

Hmm, just looking at the track listings. Two of them are track thirteen. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to go from there. I never thought I'd say this, but I envy the ability to think out of the box like some of you and come up with interesting numerology and theories.

Olson- 13
Nothing is Real- 13
In The Annexe- 7
Macquarie Ridge- 16 (Japanese editions)

Guess I'll just wait for video number five to drop instead 8)

BTW can we credit Opothecary as the godfather of all numerology and theories? I feel he was doing all this stuff long before it became a popular trend in this community

Friendly Stranger
Something is terribly wrong. BoC can't breathe without folks counting. Reposting their likes? Too much.

Dayvan Cowboy
synchrodub wrote:Something is terribly wrong. BoC can't breathe without folks counting. Reposting their likes? Too much.

I don't see why people can't enjoy things, no matter how menial. BOC fans don't have the luxury of Aphex or Autechre fans who actually release and post things regularly. I guarantee you that if ANY artist behaved like BOC their fanbase would do the same thing. That's how fans behave when starved.

Friendly Stranger
synchrodub wrote:Something is terribly wrong. BoC can't breathe without folks counting. Reposting their likes? Too much.

Can't blame them tbh. They basically went silent for like what? 7 years? And now their "official" social account seems to be active more than ever. So, it's understandable that fans are losing their crap over something small.

Dayvan Cowboy
Besides, people are literally just having fun and taking part in community activities like creating their own weird hoaxes and numerology and theories. Nothing harmful just BOCheads being BOCheads.

I'm happy they're more active because it's reviving a community that's been dead since 2014. Gives me hope I can see this place when everyone is talking about brand new tracks and what they think of the new album.

Friendly Stranger
I'm sorry for not adding anything new to the discussion, but I'm just so amazed at how dizzyingly fast this is all being posted in here. The other day, I had just made a post about some link posted in this thread, now I'm just trying to check this as carefully as I can not to miss one bit of the action lol

It's very understandable, I mean, after all these years of radio silence, to see them making any sort of move is obviously going to be something good for the fans. And for someone who hasn't witnessed them releasing something new since 2013, which is my case because I discovered them when they were launching Tomorrow's Harvest, and never got into the ARG at all; seeing these "moves" as signs that something new might be coming and that I might actually witness BoC putting out something is leaving me really eager to see something acually happening.

Friendly Stranger
My thinking is different. For me, BoC posting doesn't have hidden meaning. It seems like the TH thing has carried over into current times and some fans are expecting a new album to be released the same way. I don't really check daily for a new album, so it's hard for me to relate. When it happens cool. They don't interact for reasons we may never understand, it's healthier for them. Let them announce a new album without trying to force it is all I'm trying to say. Not everything needs to have some secret hidden meaning. I'm also older now and listen to a ton of other music besides BoC, so I'm not as obsessed as some of you. The thing about getting older is things become less exciting, sort of just roll with life and let things happen.

Eagle Minded
Dunno bud, the older I get the more intense the senseless passion for this band gets. Theres worse things to get real into

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada