GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Well that pretty much confirms the like my friend received on Instagram when he said "Hopefully this is the start of something good!" :)

I mean, it's pretty obvious now that something is happening. BOC just love engineering the hype through speculation and good vibes rather than outright saying it. Which is on par with them.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Still, it all will go down to the release it self. TH, had a perfect pre-release hype. Perfect summer time to listen to the record. And when their LP and EP represses to dive deeper in to their music. They should think something this exciting, when the time comes.

Posts Quantity
There is something exciting about everyone having a way to access the information/to be part of the release hype. No matter which platform, their activity is waking up a public discourse we normally wouldn’t see on Twitter/Instagram.

Boqurant
Man, the idea of getting official Hell Interface stuff is kind of dope. Not sure if that's the direction they're trying to take it though, like if they just kinda dropped the BoC stuff for awhile and tried something new?

It could also be that they're using the Hell Interface channel for something completely different. Maybe it's more Hexagon Sun related stuff, and not necessarily just BoC. I'm all for that too.

Honestly, until they confirm something y'all's guess is as good as mine. Fun to speculate tho.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Dayvan Cowboy
I think my one wild, crazy (and probably wrong) prediction for this is that it's going to be an underground release on Skam. Maybe teased in these radio shows via some cryptic snippets about space, building up more and more each week until the band either plays a set or previews an album. The sound is going to be like nothing we've heard before from them and might be very sixties acid space rocky. I must admit that I'd love to see the brother's melodicism featured in a rock context rather than electronica one because I'm primarily a rock fan and BOC are the one outlier for me.

The preview to their new sound in Sometimes makes me think of a planetarium full of artificial stars and constellations before the warm straightforward rock drums come in with that cute piano riff. And a lot of the Societas tracks also seem to feature a rock influence (lots of drum beats that could be played by human hand) and spacey sounds too.

New Seed
I've had the theory that the new work they put out is going to be very light after TH. Something like, "Rebirth after the apocalypse" vibes. At least I hope. It'd be nice to hear some positive music after dealing with all the shit 2020 has to throw at us.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:I think my one wild, crazy (and probably wrong) prediction for this is that it's going to be an underground release on Skam. Maybe teased in these radio shows via some cryptic snippets about space, building up more and more each week until the band either plays a set or previews an album. The sound is going to be like nothing we've heard before from them and might be very sixties acid space rocky. I must admit that I'd love to see the brother's melodicism featured in a rock context rather than electronica one because I'm primarily a rock fan and BOC are the one outlier for me.

The preview to their new sound in Sometimes makes me think of a planetarium full of artificial stars and constellations before the warm straightforward rock drums come in with that cute piano riff. And a lot of the Societas tracks also seem to feature a rock influence (lots of drum beats that could be played by human hand) and spacey sounds too.

I mean an underground release on Skam might not be too far fetched, especially if it does have literally ANYTHING to do with the amks.live broadcasts. I'd wager it does, I'm not sure that it foreshadows a huge BoC release, but I'm sure they are involved somehow. I think it will become clear as more and more of the broadcasts air if this means anything for fans or if it's just a fun Skam stream.

Societas gives us a good idea of what's in store for the future of the BoC sound and tone; honestly, I think TH also gives us a bit of a peek into the future direction as well. If they did a space album and it's pretty likely that they will, based on everything in the past year, it would be a sound mixture of TCH and TH. With the atmospheric/spacey sound of TH interlaced with the guitars/melodic style of TCH. Obviously, I can't just boil an entire BoC album down to one sound, but I think that is the base direction they would take. It won't be as dire and desolate as TH, I definitely think it will be more hopeful and cheerful than previous releases.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Friendly Stranger
I just don’t believe that a record label (Warp) would be ok with one of their artists releasing something with a different label (SKAM) when they are still under contract, even if they used to work together. However, a side project like HI that isn’t technically under contract, could be realistic...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
KoA wrote:I just don’t believe that a record label (Warp) would be ok with one of their artists releasing something with a different label (SKAM) when they are still under contract, even if they used to work together. However, a side project like HI that isn’t technically under contract, could be realistic...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont think that anything from the amks.live streams has been BoC... I dont THINK, although some interesting things have played on there that, you know... maybe? The streams are obscure and ominous enough to make me think that IF BoC where to release a Hell Interface record through Skam, that would be the perfect place for them to tease new music.

I just hope we can stay on top of recording the amks.live streams, #1 reason is to preserve and archive the brilliant music being played and #2 reason is, well, the Hell Interface x Skam theory... which again, is JUST a theory, but I dont personally think it's a bad theory.

Dayvan Cowboy
happy_cycling wrote:Societas gives us a good idea of what's in store for the future of the BoC sound and tone; honestly, I think TH also gives us a bit of a peek into the future direction as well. If they did a space album and it's pretty likely that they will, based on everything in the past year, it would be a sound mixture of TCH and TH. With the atmospheric/spacey sound of TH interlaced with the guitars/melodic style of TCH. Obviously, I can't just boil an entire BoC album down to one sound, but I think that is the base direction they would take. It won't be as dire and desolate as TH, I definitely think it will be more hopeful and cheerful than previous releases.

I never thought of reading into Societas as the future sounds of BOC until people started pointing it out. There's definitely some reoccurring trends on it, I feel Associations, Prospect and Vulcan Mind Probe are all cousins and sound a lot like "space age bachelor pad music" as I've heard them described.

BOC have stated they like creating alternate paths in musical history and I feel that the combination of certain tracks on Societas will form the new path for BOC. I think the Minute Maid commercial about squeezing all the oranges together to make Minute Maid demonstrates this process and what we might have is the raw material that they use.

The way you describe the combination of TCH and TH sounds a lot like Sometimes, since the beginning of it is very "astral" while the rest of it sounds like the happy melodic style of TCH.

Regardless if we figure out the new sound, though, what makes this exciting is how they tie it all together with song titles, art and musical themes. What makes the first three albums so legendary for me are how they tie the brilliant music together in this ambiguous, unique outsider way that only BOC can do. That's what keeps me hyped. :D

Sherbet Head
Seen 3 auto generated XYZ YT vids now, all from the BoC channel. Obviously does not show in their video list that they upload personally. Seems weird and a bit of a violation to me. It may be in the detail of whatever Warp have signed with Youtube but 3 (that I have seen) of the same track in less than 24 hours is a bit silly.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
So what exactly are the askm.live streams? There's no official comment on what it is?

Posts Quantity
... yeah a bit true, I just checked it out - they don't give a damn they've been liking tweets about a new album for almost 5 years since June 2016 (after every liked tweet I ask myself "cool and what now?", I understand you too Mexicola)...

I'm a little bored, it is just too long... I hope it will be something like "nothing and then everything" (album, EP, old tunes, never-heard rare, all remixes, super hexagon sun-shaped box etc.)... I mean, what do they think about us the fans, as normal people? A month of bullshitting with banners websites etc. and it leads to nowhere, and they just don't give a damn... do they really think Hi Scores remaster and XYZ during 5 years is a fans' wet dream? Or what's the point of these releases? They didn't want devoted people (who share their own music too)?

I really don't understand, it is in that point with me - are they really that arrogant (sorry Mike, what's this all about?), or am I just that obtuse? I don't know, they said they think their fans are savvy people, but then what is this attitude? Is it about music and joy or self-importance? Or a feeling of unappreciation because they aren't "as big as U2"?

Why not to share all music like Lone does it? With passion and enjoying sharing it with others? MDG was here, they must know their fans are thirsty and embarrassed, I can see myself and others here as lunatic pricks, but this "game" isn't funny anymore IMO...

Regarding Tomorrow's Harvest - I was working on climate change/sustainable development stuff as a moral duty on Ministry of Environment during the time of the release - not all people have their heads in sand... and want to be depressed for rest of their lives...

I'm sorry, I had to get it out... I just want to have some "pure joy", not this "eternal waiting for nothing" bullshit...

Sherbet Head
Well, unfortunately for you, this is all on you, you've done this to yourslef, they don't owe you shit. Best thing for you to do is to ignore the forum/internet for a while, live a normal life, listen to other music and then maybe one day you'll get a surprise when you spot a new BoC release in HMV, and that will be a gift.

Dayvan Cowboy
From the Geogaddi era: What's with the secrecy surrounding the release of the album? a) we don't care about music business politics and promotion schedules b) we tried to keep the music from the net (and miraculously succeeded) c) we like a little mystery d) all above is true

Mike: a and b. Especially a.

Earlier this year I was as pissed as you Hopekeeper, but I dunno, I have good vibes lately!

The likes and the banner have caused them for me. We have November 17th to look forward to. The sit tight message from last year. There were some other comments from artists and purported people who know the band that also hint at a new release. The "Give It A Bit Longer" message in Societas. And while I'm still not 100%, I feel keeping an eye on the awesome Skam Broadcast may pay off too.

If anything came out of this for me. It's encouraged me to listen to what we have and appreciate it even more. Hell, even Societas has the same properties of a BOC album where the more you listen to it, the more you discover, sort of like Geogaddi.

I say, give it to the end of this year. Then get mad! :)

Sherbet Head
We just have to keep in mind that what they have done over the past years is just normal stuff, it's more likely than not just simply them liking tweets because they are complimentary to them and they made a little of new artwork and popped it up. It's us that has entwined elaborate theory into all this. I think it's great that we do this but we also have to have a foot in reality, in order to keep our sanity. Unfortunately, we are close to losing Hopekeeper, I hope he can keep his cool and calm himself enough to not jump off the edge.
If any of this stuff turns out to be something then we can all pat each others back, maybe get a reach around if we're that inclined.

Posts Quantity
Thank you for cheering me up guys... :]

You're right but sorry, I just thought BOC had always a meaning and that this is gone for now for a couple of years with the provoking tweets likes shit IMO, ignoring real fans and re-releasing old famous music... I just say it all lasts too long already, just for myself...

Maybe this was just my "moment of impatience" (some of us know that)... :roll:

And also - I don't give a fuk they "aren't as big as U2" (from their interviews)...

I'm with you all, don't worry... :)

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:Thank you for cheering me up guys... :]

You're right but sorry, I just thought BOC had always a meaning and that this is gone for now for a couple of years with the provoking tweets likes shit IMO, ignoring real fans and re-releasing old famous music... I just say it all lasts too long already, just for myself...

And also - I don't give a fuk they "aren't as big as U2" (from their interviews)...

I think the biggest problem with BOC is that they have a lot on their shoulders. They are so meticulous with everything that they probably feel they can't go back to "an album of songs." It has to be a huge conceptual piece like Tomorrow's Harvest or Geogaddi. Add that many critics believe they're the second best IDM band behind Aphex Twin and I feel they've got cold feet.I think the best example of this is on Pitchfork's list of best IDM records, Selected Ambient Works is listed as one and Music is listed as two.

They claim they don't care about critics and fan opinions, but they're human beings and every single one of us has insecurities in some way. I've realized if I look at this way and I see the legendary quality of their initial run, I can understand why they haven't returned in 7 and a half years.

I want this music as much as anyone on here, but I feel the little things they're doing now is to make waiting a little less painful. All the best to you, my friend. :D

Sherbet Head
And the fact that time goes so fucking fast, unless you're waiting. They are the only people not waiting for a BoC release, it probably feels like 5 minutes ago they put TH out.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:
♄ope keeper wrote:Thank you for cheering me up guys... :]

I think the biggest problem with BOC is that they have a lot on their shoulders. They are so meticulous with everything that they probably feel they can't go back to "an album of songs." It has to be a huge conceptual piece like Tomorrow's Harvest or Geogaddi. Add that many critics believe they're the second best IDM band behind Aphex Twin and I feel they've got cold feet.I think the best example of this is on Pitchfork's list of best IDM records, Selected Ambient Works is listed as one and Music is listed as two.

They claim they don't care about critics and fan opinions, but they're human beings and every single one of us has insecurities in some way. I've realized if I look at this way and I see the legendary quality of their initial run, I can understand why they haven't returned in 7 and a half years.

I want this music as much as anyone on here, but I feel the little things they're doing now is to make waiting a little less painful. All the best to you, my friend. :D

Thank you Echelon, and you're absolutely right (there could be nothing from them as it is with other bands, it happens, so maybe also gratitude leads the way for me)...

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada