GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
even though TH was not as well liked by the original fans, I have honestly met more “new” BoC fans who became fans “because” of TH. How we were introduced to them through MHTRTC or Twoism or Geogaddi.... TH was that for them. At least here in MN. There are a lot of BoC fans. I have truly heard more people recognize them then let’s say Kurt Cobain or Nirvana.... which is a common question I ask. I doubt they are done. We have had too much music since TH for that to be true. Whoever thinks that must giving in a “negative-nancy” mentality. I truthfully wouldn’t want music where they don’t take their time. If they “ever” became a mere “track” release Soundcloud artist... I would stop listening altogether. I have a feeling we will be surprised with whatever release they come out with next. It does get a little unnerving to hear so little overall, but on the bright-side... look at how much favorite music they have already made for us. Experiences I have listening to BoC are almost as memorable as the overall reality of what is was like to be a kid and all of the happiest memories along with the saddest. It is really quite great and I am so happy to have found them and to be here with all of you. I wished I knew the date they first became “BOARDS OF CANADA” as that would be my day set aside for them haha like “4/20”

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip wrote:even though TH was not as well liked by the original fans, I have honestly met more “new” BoC fans who became fans “because” of TH. How we were introduced to them through MHTRTC or Twoism or Geogaddi.... TH was that for them. At least here in MN. There are a lot of BoC fans. I have truly heard more people recognize them then let’s say Kurt Cobain or Nirvana.... which is a common question I ask. I doubt they are done. We have had too much music since TH for that to be true. Whoever thinks that must giving in a “negative-nancy” mentality. I truthfully wouldn’t want music where they don’t take their time. If they “ever” became a mere “track” release Soundcloud artist... I would stop listening altogether. I have a feeling we will be surprised with whatever release they come out with next. It does get a little unnerving to hear so little overall, but on the bright-side... look at how much favorite music they have already made for us. Experiences I have listening to BoC are almost as memorable as the overall reality of what is was like to be a kid and all of the happiest memories along with the saddest. It is really quite great and I am so happy to have found them and to be here with all of you. I wished I knew the date they first became “BOARDS OF CANADA” as that would be my day set aside for them haha like “4/20”

Every time I listen to Geogaddi I re-fall in love with their music. It's one of the most creative, most out there, most unique albums in the last two decades and the way it holds together against all logic (like a fever dream, someone once described) is mind boggling. There is not a single duffer on that album except for Magic Window but it serves its purpose. I became a huge Boards fan in 2016 and I sometimes imagine what it would be like, waiting 4 years after Music Has The Right To Children and getting an album even more risk taking and mind-blowing. I like to think of that as I wait now and Soul_Slip you have the right idea that they should never become a soundcloud band. I want this next album/whatever to be an event like what Geogaddi was in 2002.

I always say that the third remix of this decade plus Societas X Tape points the way of the future. I think they're done prophesizing the future and like most rational thinking individuals who are bothered by the true hopelessness of these times, they're going to seek refuge in the past. Of times where even popular music wasn't so flashy, glammed out and soulless but had a cheesy feel good vibe and young people weren't as agitated, technology driven and stressed out as they are now.

If I remember correctly there's a song on Sociatas towards the end that explicitly mentions politics and times being rough but encourages us to hang in there. I forget the exact line but I felt they deliberately put that in there as reference to what's going on now. BOC already made a feel-good album in a decade that wasn't as bad as now, (TCH) but now we truly need one and I think that's what BOC will be delivering. Or I could be wrong and they'll record another set of dirges.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Also one little aside after my lengthy rumination, I was listening to Societas tonight to find that line about politics and I noticed during the Casio Polyphonic Keyboard commercial, there were certain numbers mentioned: 202.

I wonder if we're supposed to take creative liberties and add a Zero after it :P

Boqurant
I always thought it was very poignant that the NEVERMEN remix contained a lyrical/emotional reference to nuclear winter, which tied into the theme of TH really well, imo. "sometimes" has a bittersweet hopeful feeling while "sisters" has a really warm almost spring-time atmosphere to it. I can only hope like the rest of us fans that the societas tape was a first bloom of sorts from the "new seeds" that were cast during the time of Tomorrow's Harvest.

If we look at what the band has said in interviews, TCH was kind of like a partner album to MhtRtC, and I kind of see TH as the 'sister' album to Geogaddi, but instead of being kind of similar they are contrasting in certain ways. Even the album cover artwork is contrasted between orange and pale blue.

Geogaddi is kind of like a child's toy box that contains both wonders and frightening things, and TH to me seems like a more mature perspective on those ideas, like an adult looking at old photos now burdened with the troubles of the day. BoC's albums almost have a cyclical nature to them, and it almost feels like this long break of silence is setting up for some kind of new beginning. It will be interesting to hear what, if anything, the future holds.

Eagle Minded
What is BOC's last remix? The third one apparently.

Dayvan Cowboy
reflex17 wrote:I always thought it was very poignant that the NEVERMEN remix contained a lyrical/emotional reference to nuclear winter, which tied into the theme of TH really well, imo. "sometimes" has a bittersweet hopeful feeling while "sisters" has a really warm almost spring-time atmosphere to it. I can only hope like the rest of us fans that the societas tape was a first bloom of sorts from the "new seeds" that were cast during the time of Tomorrow's Harvest.

If we look at what the band has said in interviews, TCH was kind of like a partner album to MhtRtC, and I kind of see TH as the 'sister' album to Geogaddi, but instead of being kind of similar they are contrasting in certain ways. Even the album cover artwork is contrasted between orange and pale blue.

Geogaddi is kind of like a child's toy box that contains both wonders and frightening things, and TH to me seems like a more mature perspective on those ideas, like an adult looking at old photos now burdened with the troubles of the day. BoC's albums almost have a cyclical nature to them, and it almost feels like this long break of silence is setting up for some kind of new beginning. It will be interesting to hear what, if anything, the future holds.

All of this is beautifully said. For most bands, it seems somewhat unimpressive to be around so long and only release 4 albums but with Boards each of these albums has such a perfectly symmetrical existence. People see the four albums as seasons, as stages in a person's life, as inverses of each other that it almost seems wrong to upset the balance with a fifth one.

I think the only way that a fifth one will exist is like you said "as a new beginning" or maybe even a cylindrical rebirth and we're back at the wonders of MHTRTC again. It definitely makes sense why they've taken so long because they've created a wonderful narrative with their albums and now they have to figure out where to go next.

Also the remix I was referring to was the third of this decade. Sometimes. It's such a beautiful track and a return to the campfires of old.

Posts Quantity
I personally doubt that BoC's music career will end anytime soon. Their kids have gotten older. They will eventually have more and more time on their hands - and their restlessness will lead them to newer creative heights. I think we can easily expect them to eventually produce something - it's just a matter of when imho, not if. I personally loved TH - as with all their previous works. They pulled a lot of pre-release stunts before TH - I would imagine when the next one is nearing its release we will start seeing signs once again. Keep your eyes peeled :)
"Fulfillment is structured in achievement, Achievement is structured in action, Action is structured in thinking, Thinking is structured in knowledge, Knowledge is structured in consciousness" - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Dayvan Cowboy
I found the political lyrics I was talking about. They were on Colorbox's Tarantula:

"The future's looking rather grim, strange black tide
Decisions lie with stupid men, alone with my life
That choking and the hype in me, expecting me to fall
But only if I'm threatened will the tables turn"

The thing I noted about this is that they continue the fatalism of Tomorrow's Harvest but there's a new thread about fighting back. As intelligent folks, I don't think BOC are entirely resigned to pure nihilism and their next move may be striking back. I know they're not exactly Radiohead when it comes to politics (I just listened to Hail To The Thief and though the melodies are beautiful, the lyrics really date it back to 2003) but BOC have made a few statements here and there about how they feel about things.

Btw, the version of Tarantula on Societas ends before its final lines:

My world's under a sentence of death, I was born underground
But when the pressure gets too much for me, I bite

If this isn't a tagline for BOC I don't know what is.

Also just a disclaimer: this analysis is for fun. They might have just picked out Tarantula because it's a wonderfully melancholy piece of r&b with emotional ambiguity close to the level of BOCs work. I'm just making speculation here!

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:I found the political lyrics I was talking about. They were on Colorbox's Tarantula:

The thing I noted about this is that they continue the fatalism of Tomorrow's Harvest but there's a new thread about fighting back. As intelligent folks, I don't think BOC are entirely resigned to pure nihilism and their next move may be striking back. I know they're not exactly Radiohead when it comes to politics (I just listened to Hail To The Thief and though the melodies are beautiful, the lyrics really date it back to 2003) but BOC have made a few statements here and there about how they feel about things.

Also just a disclaimer: this analysis is for fun. They might have just picked out Tarantula because it's a wonderfully melancholy piece of r&b with emotional ambiguity close to the level of BOCs work. I'm just making speculation here!

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Play_Twice_Before_Listening (2002 interview)

"Marcus: We're very much anti-globalization. One think that disturbs me is a trend today for technology to be created and used just for it's own sake. I recently heard a politician in the UK saying that population decline was a terrible thing and that if we don't build more houses then quality of life and the economy would suffer. It's such a naive and ignorant approach to the world. Where exactly do they stop? Once there is no land left, just industrial estates and housing? I think it's the saddest thing in the world that we have all the space and resources to give everyone a decent life, but it doesn't happen. George Bush is right in that there is an "axis of evil", but it lies at the door of big business and government. We try to support the idea of a less urbanized lifestyle in our music, but I don't want to preach to anyone."

That's 18 years, even before Campfire Headphase... plus their "energy warning" on Geogaddi... on one side I'm not surprised myself (working with climate change policy/sustainable development for years), but as you said, I believe that at the end they'll choose a positive way of thinking and influence positively what they're able to as many of us...

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:
Echelon wrote:I found the political lyrics I was talking about. They were on Colorbox's Tarantula:

"Marcus: We're very much anti-globalization. One think that disturbs me is a trend today for technology to be created and used just for it's own sake. I recently heard a politician in the UK saying that population decline was a terrible thing and that if we don't build more houses then quality of life and the economy would suffer. It's such a naive and ignorant approach to the world. Where exactly do they stop? Once there is no land left, just industrial estates and housing? I think it's the saddest thing in the world that we have all the space and resources to give everyone a decent life, but it doesn't happen. George Bush is right in that there is an "axis of evil", but it lies at the door of big business and government. We try to support the idea of a less urbanized lifestyle in our music, but I don't want to preach to anyone."

That's 18 years, even before Campfire Headphase... plus their "energy warning" on Geogaddi... on one side I'm not surprised myself (working with climate change policy/sustainable development for years), but as you said, I believe that at the end they'll choose a positive way of thinking and influence positively what they're able to as many of us...

They also added "One Very Important Thought" at the end of Music. When I was a freshmen, I thought it funny and unbelievable that people would want to stop me from listening to instrumental electronica music, but in this day and age, it resonates with me like nothing else.

I'm actually kind of excited to see what they think about the world in 2020 onward after their big nihilism statement, and I think Tarantula might be a big hint at it. After all, I really doubt living in a bunker can truly keep them away from the influence of the world and its politics. They're signed to a big record label and unless their kids are homeschooled, they probably hear all kinds of things in class. But I guess we'll see, until then, I'm enjoying the hell out of Societas.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:
♄ope keeper wrote:

They also added "One Very Important Thought" at the end of Music. When I was a freshmen, I thought it funny and unbelievable that people would want to stop me from listening to instrumental electronica music, but in this day and age, it resonates with me like nothing else.

I'm actually kind of excited to see what they think about the world in 2020 onward after their big nihilism statement, and I think Tarantula might be a big hint at it. After all, I really doubt living in a bunker can truly keep them away from the influence of the world and its politics. They're signed to a big record label and unless their kids are homeschooled, they probably hear all kinds of things in class. But I guess we'll see, until then, I'm enjoying the hell out of Societas.

Me too, I agree... Societas is IMO definitely that signal, maybe I'd say it's too "matured" here and there, but they still know how to emphasize/add BOC sound to it... it's fresh air again same as Campfire Headphase was with the ending of/after Geogaddi, at least for me... so we'll see, I'm becoming more and more excited, though I know I must wait as the others... :)

Eagle Minded
Interesting stuff my dudes.. I'm also still enjoying Societas tape. Just had a thought though... I'm not sure if the version I have is the best quality, where can I find a download for the highest quality?

Boqurant
rolypablo wrote:Interesting stuff my dudes.. I'm also still enjoying Societas tape. Just had a thought though... I'm not sure if the version I have is the best quality, where can I find a download for the highest quality?

I think I've heard the broadcast was in 96kbps so it isn't worth looking for a higher quality version.

Sherbet Head
Mansin wrote:I think I've heard the broadcast was in 96kbps so it isn't worth looking for a higher quality version.

Mine is 128kbps and sounds way better than the first one I had with the station identification and whatnot. So it is definitely worth finding a better version.

Dayvan Cowboy
A big happy birthday to my favorite Boards of Canada album, Geogaddi. An eighteen year old and legal masterpiece! I still argue they never topped this and it's their most even album. Two more years and we can probably purchase a lithograph of it.

Even though for the twentieth anniversary, I think we'd all prefer to hear something from the 300 plus tracks they recorded during the sessions. But alas, like all unreleased Boards items, it will probably remain an object of myth. I'd love to be proven wrong but their track record suggests otherwise.

Unless one day, they're just going to open the floodgates. That thought's crossed my mind a few times as something that might happen this decade or the next one. No idea why.

Posts Quantity
rolypablo wrote:Interesting stuff my dudes.. I'm also still enjoying Societas tape. Just had a thought though... I'm not sure if the version I have is the best quality, where can I find a download for the highest quality?

This is the 128 MP3 which was originally broadcast, you won't get anything better than this
https://mega.nz/#F!qOZmGAQD!Ye7dE-2rl01 ... Q?TfBBVaLB

Posts Quantity
Sl Flk wrote:RIP Andrew Weatherall - I sample you in this track. See if you know which one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHMUHgRwEk

No offence but I think this is the wrong thread for this, it's not related to Boards, a better place would probably be This Random Sound

sixtyniner wrote:
Sl Flk wrote:RIP Andrew Weatherall - I sample you in this track. See if you know which one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHMUHgRwEk

No offence but I think this is the wrong thread for this, it's not related to Boards, a better place would probably be This Random Sound

I moved it. Cheers.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:

This is the 128 MP3 which was originally broadcast, you won't get anything better than this
https://mega.nz/#F!qOZmGAQD!Ye7dE-2rl01 ... Q?TfBBVaLB
I cannot get anything from Mega to download to my mobile. It stalls out at around 14% every time.

Boqurant
Odd Nosdam just posted a new ambient mix, there's no tracklist but the track starting at around 12:38 features some tomorrow's harvest-esque vocals. It's probably meaningless, but i'm sure you lot will have interesting thoughts either way.

https://www.mixcloud.com/odd-nosdam/not ... ambient71/

Sounds like a voice counting up the years from the past couple of decades.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada