GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
whyte wrote:Odd Nosdam just posted a new ambient mix, there's no tracklist but the track starting at around 12:38 features some tomorrow's harvest-esque vocals. It's probably meaningless, but i'm sure you lot will have interesting thoughts either way.

https://www.mixcloud.com/odd-nosdam/not ... ambient71/

Sounds like a voice counting up the years from the past couple of decades.

sounds really cool but nah not boc

Dayvan Cowboy
whyte wrote:Odd Nosdam just posted a new ambient mix, there's no tracklist but the track starting at around 12:38 features some tomorrow's harvest-esque vocals. It's probably meaningless, but i'm sure you lot will have interesting thoughts either way.

https://www.mixcloud.com/odd-nosdam/not ... ambient71/

Sounds like a voice counting up the years from the past couple of decades.

That's beautiful. Whoever it is nailed the whole melodic ambience plus a curious mathematical vocal sample.

Funny he released it a day before the date some people have been theorizing as a suspicious date, 2/20/20.

Probably nothing as per usual but a fun little mystery to kill time.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Btw, Tears From The Compound Eye is on this playlist. I left it on in the background and was like holy snap.

I spoke to Odd Nosdam last year and he told me that aside from saying hello and checking in, BoC hasn't told him much of anything. He added "they're very tight lipped."

I don't think he would know if anything was up and if he did, they'd probably break his legs if he did say anything :P

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Btw, Tears From The Compound Eye is on this playlist.

Yeah, noticed it has some gain boost, which makes the fade-ending stand out more. Nice.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:I spoke to Odd Nosdam last year and he told me that aside from saying hello and checking in, BoC hasn't told him much of anything.
Nice to hear that they are still in contact with each other :)

Posts Quantity
dp wrote:I cannot get anything from Mega to download to my mobile. It stalls out at around 14% every time.

You might need to download the Mega app to download stuff on mobile. There's also this other link:
https://archive.org/download/WXAXRXP-NT ... 20TAPE.mp3

Dayvan Cowboy
^Cheers!!

Dayvan Cowboy
I went through a phase of growing very resentful against BoC because to me they seem to snub an incredible and loyal fanbase and to me that is something they should respect. I don't know why, perhaps its because I come from a more metal/punk music background where the relationship between fans and band is very loyal and intense. IDM isn't that way at all and I still dont think I have fully adjusted to it tbh. All these never-ending brickwalls of silence, no gigs, nothing.

Now that I am in my thirties and been a music fanatic for so many years and been through many genres there are only 2 artists on the planet who still evoke that teenage/20something/tribal instinct in me. And they are Aphex and BoC. But it's a tough love I guess because AFX and BoC do nothing but wind me up lol. It's exasperating at times!! Hahah.

Anyway I sort of wised up and realised I was wasting part of my soul, getting all hot and bothered about it, but it still sometimes grates. In part I admire BoC for never breaking the way they do things.

And there has been very minor but positive signs from them that they aren't dead, we all know deep down somethings coming, but not many of us have the superhuman powers of patience needed to deal with 'BOC Time'. So sometimes we write a letter on the forum to release the frustration....

In my book that's fair enough

I was reading some old threads from the 2007-2012 hiatus and this beautiful statement from Warphead caught my attention because you could literally copy and paste it in this era without changing a single line of text.

I like how he/she/they mentions "minor but positive signs that they aren't dead" because I feel that applies to this era too. Remixes, Societas and XYZ. That's a lot more than you could say for 2007-2012!

Soon will come the harvest after tomorrow's.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
I was reading some old threads from the 2007-2012 hiatus and this beautiful statement from Warphead caught my attention because you could literally copy and paste it in this era without changing a single line of text.

I like how he/she/they mentions "minor but positive signs that they aren't dead" because I feel that applies to this era too. Remixes, Societas and XYZ. That's a lot more than you could say for 2007-2012!

Any chance you could quote the statement you’re referring to above? I’ve never read it before and would love to see what it says.
no information at this moment in time

Dayvan Cowboy
Roswell wrote:
Echelon wrote:

Any chance you could quote the statement you’re referring to above? I’ve never read it before and would love to see what it says.

If it didn't show up, here's what it said:

"I went through a phase of growing very resentful against BoC because to me they seem to snub an incredible and loyal fanbase and to me that is something they should respect. I don't know why, perhaps its because I come from a more metal/punk music background where the relationship between fans and band is very loyal and intense. IDM isn't that way at all and I still dont think I have fully adjusted to it tbh. All these never-ending brickwalls of silence, no gigs, nothing.

Now that I am in my thirties and been a music fanatic for so many years and been through many genres there are only 2 artists on the planet who still evoke that teenage/20something/tribal instinct in me. And they are Aphex and BoC. But it's a tough love I guess because AFX and BoC do nothing but wind me up lol. It's exasperating at times!! Hahah.

Anyway I sort of wised up and realised I was wasting part of my soul, getting all hot and bothered about it, but it still sometimes grates. In part I admire BoC for never breaking the way they do things.

And there has been very minor but positive signs from them that they aren't dead, we all know deep down somethings coming, but not many of us have the superhuman powers of patience needed to deal with 'BOC Time'. So sometimes we write a letter on the forum to release the frustration....

In my book that's fair enough"

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:If it didn't show up, here's what it said:

"I went through a phase of growing very resentful against BoC because to me they seem to snub an incredible and loyal fanbase and to me that is something they should respect. I don't know why, perhaps its because I come from a more metal/punk music background where the relationship between fans and band is very loyal and intense. IDM isn't that way at all and I still dont think I have fully adjusted to it tbh. All these never-ending brickwalls of silence, no gigs, nothing.

Thank you! now that I'm on my computer I can see both lol, for some reason on my phone some of the quotes weren't showing :( sorry about that!
no information at this moment in time

Dayvan Cowboy
Roswell wrote:
Echelon wrote:If it didn't show up, here's what it said:

Thank you! now that I'm on my computer I can see both lol, for some reason on my phone some of the quotes weren't showing :( sorry about that!

No problem. Made me check if I quoted it wrong.

Anyway, this post pretty much embodies everything we could possibly be feeling in 2020. Nothing has changed except the date. If you're a Boc fan, you gotta be in this for the long run!

Posts Quantity
I'd add this one:

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Peering_Out_f ... he_Curtain (2006 interview)

Mike: "Isolation can get negative at times, because you start to feel like you're being arrogant or that we're doing it because we hate people so much. But it's not like that at all, It's more about the fact that we don't want to ruin the art by making our lives more important than the music. Because our lives are just like that of any other artist: we're just trying to create something special."

So I suggest we wait for "something special" (again)... :) (though I think there's much more activity since the release of Tomorrow's Harvest, that they sort of "show love/respect" through liking fans' tweets etc.)

:)

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:I'd add this one:

Mike: "Isolation can get negative at times, because you start to feel like you're being arrogant or that we're doing it because we hate people so much.

I think this is a very important quote to remember. If they really hated their fans they wouldn't have put anything out at all and they certainly wouldn't have participated in WXAXRXP. They are indeed waiting for a special moment once again.

Re-reading some of the old threads with people talking about BoC's hiatus made me realize that things used to be a lot more lively in those wait times. But it's probably for the best because there was a lot more fighting. Now everyone's gone through the five bargaining stages and are at peace. There's no more anger or frustration. It's a very zen time on Twoism. :P

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:

Mike: "Isolation can get negative at times, because you start to feel like you're being arrogant or that we're doing it because we hate people so much.

I think this is a very important quote to remember. If they really hated their fans they wouldn't have put anything out at all and they certainly wouldn't have participated in WXAXRXP. They are indeed waiting for a special moment once again.

Well... let's not be so naive. Probably money is a good reason for them to release albums. Such good reason that we are charged for each new album, remix and also for their re-releases!

And regarding your second paragraph, let me tell you: In all these years since 2013 they have had a lot of special moments that they could have used in order to release an album. Yesterday (02022020) being a darn good one if you ask me. They aren't waiting for a special day to come. They are waiting to have the album completed and make some more ca$h. They are humans, with their regular jobs and family. They ain't running a non profit, man.

Regarding their participation in WXAXRXP because of the fans... LOL.

And I really like Boards of Canada, but come on...

Dayvan Cowboy
The Spaniard wrote:
Echelon wrote:

Well... let's not be so naive. Probably money is a good reason for them to release albums. Such good reason that we are charged for each new album, remix and also for their re-releases!

And regarding your second paragraph, let me tell you: In all these years since 2013 they have had a lot of special moments that they could have used in order to release an album. Yesterday (02022020) being a darn good one if you ask me. They aren't waiting for a special day to come. They are waiting to have the album completed and make some more ca$h. They are humans, with their regular jobs and family. They ain't running a non profit, man.

Regarding their participation in WXAXRXP because of the fans... LOL.

And I really like Boards of Canada, but come on...

Ah ok. I really don't care either way. I'm totally at peace with what they're doing now (taking a very long time) and was just saying that stuff to have some positivity on the forum.

But yeah, they probably don't believe in that hippy dippy shit even though certainly if they were totally about money they would have just dumped out some of their seemingly infinite number of outtakes. Or had Warp rerelease their other secret EPs a la Twoism. They could even just release Old Tunes or BoC Maxima if they don't want to put anything out anything new that we don't have. Or a new poster/shirt design.

M&M can't be that money reliant because they honestly have plenty of opportunities to sap our money from us but don't.

And I would take Societas X Tape over them not participating in WXARXP at all. Of course it's disappointing in some regards, but on the other hand, I like a good amount of the music on there and I wouldn't know about it without them.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Ah ok. I really don't care either way. I'm totally at peace with what they're doing now (taking a very long time) and was just saying that stuff to have some positivity on the forum.

But yeah, they probably don't believe in that hippy dippy shit even though certainly if they were totally about money they would have just dumped out some of their seemingly infinite number of outtakes. Or had Warp rerelease their other secret EPs a la Twoism. They could even just release Old Tunes or BoC Maxima if they don't want to put anything out anything new that we don't have. Or a new poster/shirt design.

M&M can't be that money reliant because they honestly have plenty of opportunities to sap our money from us but don't.

And I would take Societas X Tape over them not participating in WXARXP at all. Of course it's disappointing in some regards, but on the other hand, I like a good amount of the music on there and I wouldn't know about it without them.

Well... No surprise. What they are doing now is what they have done for a loooong time. Of course they are about the money! Go to the Bleep site, purchase the WXAXRXP EP for $18 (shipping not incl.) and think if BoC is about the business or the fanbase as you are entering your credir card digits, . And I don't blame them.

I don't know why they haven't released their old catalogue but I can very well imagine why; their old catalogue probably doesn't meet their standards and prefer to delight us fans and random costumers with new amazing material instead. I don't blame them, BoC has a big following and a reputation to maintain.

And I agree, the Bros don't need our money. They don't need to release a ton of material because they have other souces or income. Only people that have other jobs can spend so many years without releasing new material, especially if they are not going on tour. BoC is their hobby, not their main job.

Dayvan Cowboy
The Spaniard wrote:
Echelon wrote:Ah ok. I really don't care either way. I'm totally at peace with what they're doing now (taking a very long time) and was just saying that stuff to have some positivity on the forum.

Well... No surprise. What they are doing now is what they have done for a loooong time. Of course they are about the money! Go to the Bleep site, purchase the WXAXRXP EP for $18 (shipping not incl.) and think if BoC is about the business or the fanbase as you are entering your credir card digits, . And I don't blame them.

I don't know why they haven't released their old catalogue but I can very well imagine why; their old catalogue probably doesn't meet their standards and prefer to delight us fans and random costumers with new amazing material instead. I don't blame them, BoC has a big following and a reputation to maintain.

And I agree, the Bros don't need our money. They don't need to release a ton of material because they have other souces or income. Only people that have other jobs can spend so many years without releasing new material, especially if they are not going on tour. BoC is their hobby, not their main job.

Actually I think what annoyed me more than Societas (which is a really fun listen and reflects some great esoteric music tastes) was the WXAXRXP EP. Every Warp anniversary their releases got less and less great. We went from a fully new contemporary song (Orange Romeda) to an old outtake (Seven Forty Seven) to now a track that every big BoC fan has heard bootlegged. (XYZ)

You're probably right about how cynical the whole thing is. I think I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt because I'm a fan. But yeah, this recent Wxaxrxp rerelease smacks of a cash grab.

Thanks for shedding light on the whole thing because I was clearly mistaken!

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Actually I think what annoyed me more than Societas (which is a really fun listen and reflects some great esoteric music tastes) was the WXAXRXP EP. Every Warp anniversary their releases got less and less great. We went from a fully new contemporary song (Orange Romeda) to an old outtake (Seven Forty Seven) to now a track that every big BoC fan has heard bootlegged. (XYZ)

You're probably right about how cynical the whole thing is. I think I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt because I'm a fan. But yeah, this recent Wxaxrxp rerelease smacks of a cash grab.

I was quite disappointed too at the EP, Echelon. I was disappointed at the EP and also the Societas tape. We were all expecting to hear either a new album release or new tracks or a live show or something like that. There was so much expectation here! I remember I even installed Discord on my laptop to chat with other people from this forum and discuss the set. Well... it turns out they came up with a music set that had no tracks of their own at all.
Yes, we all swallowed it and said: "Ok; it is cool. Thanks, Bros!" but I don't think anybody in here thought this music set with no new tracks was what we were going to receive from them. I mean, after so many years without an album, gimme some new tracks!

In my case, I remember I was with my parents in law on a trip in friggin Hawaii and as I was listening to the set, walking on the beach, not talking to anybody, like an idiot, just focusing on my Boc set with my headphones, I was wondering if this was really BoC or if I was listening to some Dj set by an Indie artist from Warp. Yes, I know that some tracks share the same negative message of Tomorrow's Harvest, and now I like the set (especially the Victrolla Track), but this was not what I was expecting. And again, I like it, it is very good, I have listened to it a good amount of times, but I wish it contained new tracks of their own.

Then I purchased the EP and thought the $ame thing. So many years waiting and nothing new (apart from two remixes and maybe they have released them just because Odd Nostram and The Sexual Objects asked them).

Anyways, hopefully another album will be released soon. But man, 02 20 2020 was such a good date!

Dayvan Cowboy
The Spaniard wrote:
Echelon wrote:Actually I think what annoyed me more than Societas (which is a really fun listen and reflects some great esoteric music tastes) was the WXAXRXP EP. Every Warp anniversary their releases got less and less great. We went from a fully new contemporary song (Orange Romeda) to an old outtake (Seven Forty Seven) to now a track that every big BoC fan has heard bootlegged. (XYZ)

I was quite disappointed too at the EP, Echelon. I was disappointed at the EP and also the Societas tape. We were all expecting to hear either a new album release or new tracks or a live show or something like that. There was so much expectation here! I remember I even installed Discord on my laptop to chat with other people from this forum and discuss the set. Well... it turns out they came up with a music set that had no tracks of their own at all.
Yes, we all swallowed it and said: "Ok; it is cool. Thanks, Bros!" but I don't think anybody in here thought this music set with no new tracks was what we were going to receive from them. I mean, after so many years without an album, gimme some new tracks!

In my case, I remember I was with my parents in law on a trip in friggin Hawaii and as I was listening to the set, walking on the beach, not talking to anybody, like an idiot, just focusing on my Boc set with my headphones, I was wondering if this was really BoC or if I was listening to some Dj set by an Indie artist from Warp. Yes, I know that some tracks share the same negative message of Tomorrow's Harvest, and now I like the set (especially the Victrolla Track), but this was not what I was expecting. And again, I like it, it is very good, I have listened to it a good amount of times, but I wish it contained new tracks of their own.

Then I purchased the EP and thought the $ame thing. So many years waiting and nothing new (apart from two remixes and maybe they have released them just because Odd Nostram and The Sexual Objects asked them).

Anyways, hopefully another album will be released soon. But man, 02 20 2020 was such a good date!

Really, I feel your pain man. It took me a long time to get to this stage of passiveness after 2019. I also remember when Societas X Tape was playing, I was on a date with my gf and I kept it playing quietly on the phone while we watched a movie. Always during commercial breaks I'd press it to my ear and just hear non-BOC music that sounded cool but it still wasn't worth me balancing half my attention to it.

It really took me until the winter of 2020 to realize how beautiful the music was on it. Mostly because I took it for granted because of how it blue balled me.

I still prefer it to the Warp Sessions, because I can tell that they loved the music and so many tracks have that delicious droning synthy quality to it. (Though I have a creeping suspicion that it might be BoC saying "There's so many artists like us out there, let us just relax in the highlands while you listen to them instead.")

The Warp Sessions on the other hand, was pretty crass and it was truly the least they could do. Especially since I can guarantee that one out of the 300 Geogaddi outtakes probably sounds halfway towards the quality of the LP.

Still, I have come to terms with BOC being a non entity in the music world. They clearly want to be and a lot of people on here seem to respect this. Or have gotten bored and left. There's not much we can do but be hopeful that one day, the drought will reverse itself!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada