GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Maybe the re-releasing the old public stuff is mainly because of BOCs "terms" with Warp, in background continuing to work on another "special record" (special = years of working)...

About the old tunes - another "maybe" but there may be some sample licence issues and also - it requires a special focus to make it all work for a proper public release, as you said they have other sound & music businesses and just common life stuff in between...

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Brothers_Who_ ... ca_by_Hand (2013 interview)

Mike: "A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really, to know that we could tidy it all up and hand it on to our kids someday, but there are literally thousands of tracks going way back into the ’80s. It’s a huge task, and this just seemed to eat up time."

(yeah :), we could just hope they will not forget about fans then, at least partly)

Dayvan Cowboy
2020 02 20 was a joke. No way they would release the new music on a random day like this. On the other hand, the longer the wait, the more narrow the release window. Unless the wait is going to be much longer that anyone could think of... The idea behind 2020 release was, at least for me. That TH was their album of the 2010's. And they would release something completely new and mindblowing next decade. Large time gap fits for BOC music. In my opinion.

Boqurant
02/02/2020 would have been even better because it's a palindrome.

The waiting topic is something that has crossed my mind more than once over the years. I feel like BoC does with their discography they same they do with a lot of their tracks which is to say they reward patience. Happy cycling wouldn't be the same if the first part with the seagulls was only a minute or two.

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:Mike: "A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really, to know that we could tidy it all up and hand it on to our kids someday, but there are literally thousands of tracks going way back into the ’80s. It’s a huge task, and this just seemed to eat up time."

(yeah :), we could just hope they will not forget about fans then, at least partly)

I remember my heart sinking when I read that. It goes against everything MDG said about a boxset and seems a trollish move on the part of the bros to mention it.

It's their recordings of course and they can do whatever they want with em, but still, it's statements like that, that come off like teases for the fans. Especially because they know that people want to hear more stuff by them.

Still, while it was more frustrating when I was a newer fan, just like everything else, one learns to come to terms with it! And move on to bands who don't do stuff like that. I've found out recently that I like Radiohead almost as much as BoC and they've got tons of available rarities to hunt down.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
That would maybe be an example of why saying something in the press can have unintended consequences. The act of being patient doesn't necessarily end up in receiving something, it's more the lesson learned along the way. So much has been given already, and taken as well if you look at what we have. I agree, Radiohead is one of those bands where their B-sides are as strong as the tracks on the album.

Dayvan Cowboy
reflex17 wrote:That would maybe be an example of why saying something in the press can have unintended consequences. The act of being patient doesn't necessarily end up in receiving something, it's more the lesson learned along the way. So much has been given already, and taken as well if you look at what we have. I agree, Radiohead is one of those bands where their B-sides are as strong as the tracks on the album.

What's even crazier is that we use this quote from 2013 as definite proof of things one way or the other. They could have very much changed their mind or strengthened it towards this issue. For all we know, they could either be prepping the boxset for us right now or they could have decided to burn the recordings when they pass on. :lol:

And yes, I remember BoC stating in an interview that they were cool with Radiohead "borrowing" their sounds around the time of Kid A and Amnesiac. The Amnesiac track, Like Spinning Plates, oddly enough predicts Geogaddi tracks like "I Saw Drones." Despite different backgrounds, I feel both groups are examples of artists that are uncompromising in their visions with almost every track in their discography worth listening to. I'm just happy Thom and co decide to put out a record every four years or so unlike a certain band of brothers we know. :P

Boqurant
Kid A was an interesting case, yeah I remember Thom mentioning Warp records as an influence at the time. Going off into a haunted mansion and cutting up lyrics to put in hat? Sign me up, if that's the sort of album that happens.

The lyrics being cut up like that brings me to one of my favorite parts about BoC, how over time we've seen certain elements that are used in more than one song. It would imply some sort of pre-established toolkit and probably helps a lot toward the consistency that their sound has, despite its many variations.

Posts Quantity
I understand, but I think BOC are just: years of "nothing" and then suddenly... BOOM! A jewel sophisticated till bones sees the light of the world... (the concept and integrity of the album is very important to them, a few winning trax will make it, others hundreds are out for now, I remember from the interviews around 2000 they worked all the nights and to make an album took less years, now there are families, more responsibility for the others and for themselves too etc., so I think it takes much longer but well, fans including me will be always hungry, and unlike bands like Radiohead there were leaks of tens of their early trax, so... maybe they also have to get through "too much of us has been released already despite the time hasn't come yet"...)

And then again - they've liked tens of fans tweets for years now, I think there is respect and a signal "we're working on it, we're working on it", but in another forms... 8)

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

Dayvan Cowboy
reflex17 wrote:Kid A was an interesting case, yeah I remember Thom mentioning Warp records as an influence at the time. Going off into a haunted mansion and cutting up lyrics to put in hat? Sign me up, if that's the sort of album that happens.

The lyrics being cut up like that brings me to one of my favorite parts about BoC, how over time we've seen certain elements that are used in more than one song. It would imply some sort of pre-established toolkit and probably helps a lot toward the consistency that their sound has, despite its many variations.

I endlessly respect Radiohead's journey. They went from being a common alt rock band from their Pablo Honey days to integrating music from Warp artists and trying to make music in the rock genre that's never been heard before. Even if I hear Autechre, Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada in tracks on Kid A (the title track has the sweetness and melodicity of a BOC track and Idioteque reminds me of LP5 era Autechre) the music is still clearly their own work and it's highly idiosyncratic.

This is why I feel BoC respect Radiohead in this interview. They were a "mainstream" band but at the same time, they were establishing themselves as a band that takes esoteric influences and manages to make something brand new. Kind of like BOC themselves.

♄ope keeper wrote:I understand, but I think BOC are just: years of "nothing" and then suddenly... BOOM! A jewel sophisticated till bones sees the light of the world... (the concept and integrity of the album is very important to them, a few winning trax will make it, others hundreds are out for now, I remember from the interviews around 2000 they worked all the nights and to make an album took less years, now there are families, more responsibility for the others and for themselves too etc., so I think it takes much longer but well, fans including me will be always hungry, and unlike bands like Radiohead there were leaks of tens of their early trax, so... maybe they also have to get through "too much of us has been released already despite the time hasn't come yet"...)

And then again - they've liked tens of fans tweets for years now, I think there is respect and a signal "we're working on it, we're working on it", but in another forms... 8)

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

Honestly, I think it's clear that BoC are not like Radiohead in that there's different expectations of them. Radiohead have an enormous fanbase probably double or triple that of BoC and are constantly looked up to as people who revolutionize the genre of rock music. I feel they're kind of obligated by everyone to continue this thread as long as they live.

BoC on the other hand, are that on a much smaller scale. But I feel they don't let the fact that they're one of the most beloved bands in the IDM genre change their lives. They still raise their families and do whatever else like regular people. Like you said, they're not working as frantically as they once were with Geogaddi. They clearly view their fame on a different level than Thom and co and it's actually quite respectable.

I have a theory about the twitter likes. In place of MDG telling us there's a new album, the BoC twitter likes lets us know there's a new album coming. It's probably so MDG doesn't have to come on here constantly and reassure us fans there's something in the works.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Honestly, I think it's clear that BoC are not like Radiohead in that there's different expectations of them. Radiohead have an enormous fanbase probably double or triple that of BoC and are constantly looked up to as people who revolutionize the genre of rock music. I feel they're kind of obligated by everyone to continue this thread as long as they live.

BoC on the other hand, are that on a much smaller scale. But I feel they don't let the fact that they're one of the most beloved bands in the IDM genre change their lives. They still raise their families and do whatever else like regular people. Like you said, they're not working as frantically as they once were with Geogaddi. They clearly view their fame on a different level than Thom and co and it's actually quite respectable.

I have a theory about the twitter likes. In place of MDG telling us there's a new album, the BoC twitter likes lets us know there's a new album coming. It's probably so MDG doesn't have to come on here constantly and reassure us fans there's something in the works.

Absolutely agree...

Dayvan Cowboy
Damn shame record store day isn't 4/20/20 this year. I think that would be a fun set of numbers and maybe something would happen.

But then again, I really just want the next album released without that crazy easter egg hunt of 2013.

Sherbet Head
What if they're just working on a single track ... for the past 7 years. The ULTIMATE track :mrgreen:

That would piss off so many people.
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
TheStatPow wrote:What if they're just working on a single track ... for the past 7 years. The ULTIMATE track :mrgreen:

What if they spent the last seven years remixing Dayvan Cowboy? Or even better/worse, remixing Odd Nosdam's remix of Dayvan Cowboy?

Didn't they recently (last five years or so) sell Dayvan Cowboy to another commercial? To be fair though, they probably needed some extra cash since they haven't produced anything in so long.

Posts Quantity
TheStatPow wrote:What if they're just working on a single track ... for the past 7 years. The ULTIMATE track :mrgreen:

LOL! Yeah. But hey, the track has so many layers that I totally understand it has taken the Bros seven years to complete it. It even has a backmasking voice!

Maybe their last album "Tomorrow's Harvest" is called this way because they wanted to give us a cryptical message: they have left the music business and are going to work at an Eco farm.

Posts Quantity
reflex17 wrote:That would maybe be an example of why saying something in the press can have unintended consequences. The act of being patient doesn't necessarily end up in receiving something, it's more the lesson learned along the way. So much has been given already, and taken as well if you look at what we have. I agree, Radiohead is one of those bands where their B-sides are as strong as the tracks on the album.

I wish I could tell that to my university advisor next time she asks me why I haven't completed the next chapter of my dissertation.

LOL. Remember that almost everything they have released has been well paid by the fans (including posters, tshirts, plane tickets and gas to go to the listening party, etc). It seems to me that we tend to forget that everything talented artists like the Bros give us is actually an exchange. I need to pay for their albums. It is not like they jump down from their cloud and give us an album for free. In any case, as artists they can release their music whenever they want, but I wish they were more communicative. Obviously, it is up to them how they deal or not deal with their fans.

Dayvan Cowboy
The Spaniard wrote:
Maybe their last album "Tomorrow's Harvest" is called this way because they wanted to give us a cryptical message: they have left the music business and are going to work at an Eco farm.

I still have a feeling TH might be their last album. The way it ends there's no life left. It's all dead. As much as I don't like TH, it does seem like a clever way to end things.

I always hope they rebound into more optimistic territory but even those more recent photos of them (circa 2013) are in tired, weatherbeaten territory.

Sherbet Head
The Spaniard wrote:

LOL! Yeah. But hey, the track has so many layers that I totally understand it has taken the Bros seven years to complete it. It even has a backmasking voice!

They went away to work for Monsanto :mrgreen:
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
"BOC will have a new site up at some point with news of what they're doing."

-Said by MDG, on February 3rd, 2015.

Five years ago. That must be one hell of a website. Maybe they've spent the last 7 years perfecting web design and haven't even started the new record. XD

Happy Cycler
Echelon wrote:"BOC will have a new site up at some point with news of what they're doing."

Five years ago. That must be one hell of a website. Maybe they've spent the last 7 years perfecting web design and haven't even started the new record. XD

Maybe they just changed their minds.

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:
Echelon wrote:"BOC will have a new site up at some point with news of what they're doing."

Maybe they just changed their minds.

Sarcasm, my man. Trying to make an unsuccessful joke about why they're taking so long.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada