GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
I had a dream last night that BoC sent me a cassette release of a old tunes compilation for new release for my birthday. It was to be leaked to everyone through Catherine Fells YT. They put a note inside the tape to turn on the TV and watch the kids channel as they had curated that mornings shows and were giving me instruction in secret through the TV. I was annoyed because I had to go to school and was trying to stay home and watch it. Seems I had regressed 30 years or so but was still my physical adult self.
The programmes were old 70s/80s shows I remember but had even more trippy twists. Then I had to listen to the tape alone.
Felt crazy being in on the ARG, kind of how kids would have felt going on Jim'll Fix it but without the paedophilia. :0
Anyway, there were loads of details I tried to remember but they are fading away quickly.
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:
dp wrote:If I remember correctly, one day a black box appeared in the discography section of their old official website. This was in 2011 or 2012, I think. We all assumed it was a placeholder for the new release.

1st March 2011. Every time I wince at you scamps getting excited about YouTube banners or whatever I remind myself that, not all that long ago, it was me getting excited before I became tired and jaded ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7862&hilit=Black

Wow read that thread and everyone's reactions mirror the ones to the banner! Welp, just two more years until a new release haha
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
Weird reading that again. I was only a lurker then, I joined at the start of the actual TH hype and you guessed it, to play around with a fake.

Eagle Minded
I hate to ask this but can someone catch me up on the banner drama? Tried to find where it started in this thread but gave up. I've been in the process of moving irl and clearly missed something lol

Eagle Minded
I was a lurker on Twoism during the "black box days". There was nothing aside from the box to show up and it carried this forum for how long with wild speculations at that point? No social media likes, no videos being posted, no Tomorrow's Harvest ARG with comments made about "how much has been hidden" in that album...a completely unannounced black box drove this place wild for years.

You don't want to read people's wild brain dumps for crazy things like tweets or likes? Unfollow this post would be my recommendation. It's not like you didn't have 600+ pages to figure out the wildness that this particular thread brings out in people who are just trying to enjoy themselves and have some fun.
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Eagle Minded
Mexicola wrote:
dp wrote:If I remember correctly, one day a black box appeared in the discography section of their old official website. This was in 2011 or 2012, I think. We all assumed it was a placeholder for the new release.

1st March 2011. Every time I wince at you scamps getting excited about YouTube banners or whatever I remind myself that, not all that long ago, it was me getting excited before I became tired and jaded ;-)

Absolutely wild that this was nearly a decade ago ... been a BoC fanatic since my life was changed by seeing the fan-made "Everything You Do is a Balloon" video on YouTube as a sophomore in high school, which was eleven years ago ... been back on a BoC kick recently and am recognizing just how much time has passed with them in my life. Enough time to hear their music anew again.

It's fun aging and experiencing new releases as a "different person" (e.g.: Tomorrow's Harvest came out five days before my birthday when I was in my sophomore year of college ... I've changed radically as a person since then). What would it be like to experience a brand new BoC release in my late twenties as opposed to my early twenties? I hope I find out soon. (I'll even take early thirties [or early forties {or early fifties ((AKA "plz BoC"))}].)
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:

wowo, this is amazing. It's almost identical to this thread then and now, hilarious

2011-11-11 release date

lol

Dayvan Cowboy
Pleasantly surprised to see I was just posting memes in there :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
drixlin wrote:I was a lurker on Twoism during the "black box days". There was nothing aside from the box to show up and it carried this forum for how long with wild speculations at that point? No social media likes, no videos being posted, no Tomorrow's Harvest ARG with comments made about "how much has been hidden" in that album...a completely unannounced black box drove this place wild for years.

When you put it this way, you realize that they're spoiling us now! :lol: BOC and Warp could have left us far more in the dark if they wanted to.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:
drixlin wrote:I was a lurker on Twoism during the "black box days". There was nothing aside from the box to show up and it carried this forum for how long with wild speculations at that point? No social media likes, no videos being posted, no Tomorrow's Harvest ARG with comments made about "how much has been hidden" in that album...a completely unannounced black box drove this place wild for years.

When you put it this way, you realize that they're spoiling us now! :lol: BOC and Warp could have left us far more in the dark if they wanted to.

That's why when everyone is like, "it's just a banner change, meh..." I kinda laugh inside. Even though I wasn't posting back then, I remember that whole black-box debacle and now it's like they're giving us a trail of candy to follow. It's pretty hilarious tbh.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Eagle Minded
Ya, they realize the time is right I’m sure. Maybe it was supposed to take a bit longer, but the episode of the twilight zone that 2020 has become maybe kicked it into gear.

Boqurant
Yeah, any BoC release would definitely be welcome right now.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Friendly Stranger
paradiseb wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIZ8tiQv38I
amks.live track is by Plateau

well damn. at least i have another artist to look out for i guess

Eagle Minded
I really dont like discovering artists through the act of dissapointment, it's okay if you do, but personally I'm not that much of a fan.

Sherbet Head
There was no disappintment in that situation though, there was never a chance it could have even been BoC related and the artist hadn't put themselves in the situation themselves. A little bit off for BigJimmy to have gotten that artist involved just for their troll game. By your logic, Bigjimmy has harmed that artists reputation and lost listeners because of it.
Always troll with your own shit! ha. Never take credit for others work.

Dayvan Cowboy
I am impartial to the future release being either a new album or a boxset. But here's my theory on why it might be a boxset.

Basically, the 4 main albums are chapters in BOC's life and each tells us what the brother's were thinking over the years.

After their happy days of experimenting with acid back in the day (their earliest EP is called Acid Memories for a good reason) BOC quickly realized the "irreversible vector" we were traveling on as a species and it quickly showed in the music. First there was Music, which explored the scary reality that childhood isn't always as sweet as we think it is but there are still genuine moments of bliss and happiness (ROYGBIV, Aquarius, Open The Light) Then with Geogaddi they faced the dark issues going on in the world for the first time, but it still had a warm, nostalgic, acid-y feel in places. Afterwards, there was Headphase where rather than face the ever darkening world, they created a place of refuge for their fans even if the ending to TCH was still inevitably sad. Lastly, with Harvest, they are finally coming right out and telling us that society is quickly coming unglued and they are weeping for it.

It took me a long time to realize this, but BOC's albums and their trajectory are perfect. They are an honest glimpse of society from people who have always preferred being on the outside of it. It is why I could understand Tomorrow's Harvest being their final statement and then going on to making archival works to support their kids. What more do they have to tell us about society and their feelings in album form? Now, we may finally get a glimpse behind the curtain and see the underside of their career, aka what they were working on between and during albums that never made it to the classic 4.

Eagle Minded
I'm following your train on thought on that Ech, but after it's been mentioned a few times, I desperately want a BoC space-themed album. Maybe that's still captured in a box set of old stuff (PAST INSIDE THE PRESENT) - but, I need that kind of awesomeness in my life right now. It could still fit as a terraforming effort after our dying planet is abandoned after the events of Tomorrow's Harvest...

Are there any more straws available? I think I've grasped them all...
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Dayvan Cowboy
drixlin wrote:I'm following your train on thought on that Ech, but after it's been mentioned a few times, I desperately want a BoC space-themed album. Maybe that's still captured in a box set of old stuff (PAST INSIDE THE PRESENT) - but, I need that kind of awesomeness in my life right now. It could still fit as a terraforming effort after our dying planet is abandoned after the events of Tomorrow's Harvest...

Are there any more straws available? I think I've grasped them all...

Honestly, I like the idea of a space album too, and I'm behind either that or the boxset. I have a feeling it would be a wonderful flight of fantasy for them since finding a place where the human race can start anew would both be great and scary at the same time. There is so much to think about there.

Also I still really like the Bowie theory (the Pioneer's Plaque being in the Dark Star album art is another hint at it) and how it ties into the outer space concept since Space Oddity is one of the greatest outer space songs of all time. (That mellotron in it reminds me a lot of BOC.) I really get the impression if it's an outer space album it might be reworked from some collabs they did with Bowie into a full blown BOC album.

Eagle Minded
Boards of Stardust, David Canada

Dayvan Cowboy
"Planet earth is blue and there's nothing I can do."

I think an astronaut refusing to come back down to Earth fits very much in with the BOC perspective on life and perhaps their thoughts on space itself. It's the final frontier and maybe one day, the final escape from a ravaged world.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada