GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
Regarding the Adult Swim short, do you think this could be for the new Psy Corner Audio release? Look at the art work.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

Sherbet Head
Davism wrote:
frankixus wrote:
Davism wrote:I think artists CAN be successful, but is it necessary? How many actors or artists do we need telling us how to think? To me, art transcends political persuasions. Art should unify, not divide..... and that's exactly what BoC has done.

'Art should unify, not divide' I think it's more easy by making music that consists of primarily instrumentals, and no vocals. Theres not much to divide people with. But, like for instance the references to Koresh, 666 etc. will probably divide some. I really think art will always divide people. It has to be, maybe not on a political level but it certainly does on a social level. Everything is made out of a point of view some might not like, it's how society works. People will always find a reason to not understand each other especially in this day and age.

The music might not be for everyone, but the 'boc enthusiasts' certainly are. It's really cool to see how everyone respects one another regardless of their views. I think it's a lovely thing society can really learn from. Maybe if everyone magically starts loving life like we love BoC, people feel like they have more in common and people will be nicer to each other.

Something just came to my mind. My favorite Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky once wrote something like: 'True art does not go with political views'. If he says so..... maybe you're right after all.

:]

Yeah, I should have specified. I think the highest form of Art is not political. And Art can be divisive even without messages, I suppose; some people like abstract art, some prefer realism. But that's more about taste and preference.

But you're absolutely right, we need to find the most worthy thing to be in common with.

Good point. Just to add, the source of political views are opinions whereas the source of art is beauty. I think that says it all. You don't need your thinking mind to listen to and appreciate music. I guess that's why it is so relaxing for many people, because they can just put down the mind chatter for some time and appreciate beauty.

Creativity comes from within, (political) views are always some external labels. Nothing wrong with a political view though of course, just don't take it too seriously :wink:
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy
To provide a counterpoint, politics isn't just some abstract, academic argument that results in pointless division. Political views of a society determine public policy that will affect people's real lives, and in some cases result in human beings losing their lives. The state of the planet's environment has become a political rather than a scientific issue, and the mistrust of scientists and doctors by a certain segment of the population, in favor of pundits, is a political issue as well. Who knows how many thousands or millions of lives will be lost if views do not change?

Using art to make political statements can positively impact the world and get people caring about issues they might otherwise ignore. We have seen BoC do this in the past, directly addressing their audience to speak out against censorship and warn of resource/energy depletion. They even characterized Tomorrow's Harvest as a political album, though it's shrouded in multiple layers of abstraction typical of their work.

So I would say not only do I disagree with the stance expressed in that interview (you can choose either music or politics) I think BoC have come to change their view on it as well.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
So I would say not only do I disagree with the stance expressed in that interview (you can choose either music or politics) I think BoC have come to change their view on it as well.

They sat out on commenting on Trump's America, so I'm curious if that was intentional or not. I wonder if now we're going to hear from them since the administration changed to something more environmentally friendly (something they like). Especially if TH was at all motivated by climate change.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
I think every art is political, and BoC's music has been without a doubt very political in pretty much everything they've done.
---
Fuck transphobes

Eagle Minded
Here’s the problem: half the people in this world have opposing views and believe their side is backed by science. You can disagree that one side is actually backed by science, but we live in a post truth society now, and nobody will change their view unless something significant happens to them. That occurrence ain’t happenin’ with BoC (or Brad Pitt) for that matter. Some people might be influenced, but all the messages from potential BoC albums or Morrisey don’t go deep enough to be truly convincing.

That’s why high art transcends political leanings/positions.

Eagle Minded
Of course, I don't think anyone would change their political views just by hearing BoC. However going back to Marcus' quote, I believe what he means is about being explicit in their political views, this is different to their music having political expressions, which in BoC's way you know it's borderline subliminal. The Knife (and Fever Ray for that matter) became very explicit in their proposed discussion about gender later in their career, you wouldn't miss it if you hear it. The brothers are not public in general, so they're not interested in being public with their political views, however it's impossible that those views won't be present in the art they make. IMO of course.
---
Fuck transphobes

Dayvan Cowboy
Actually, I don't even want to think about BOC and how they relate to modern politics. They're kind of my happy place away from it. I think the cool thing about them is that if you don't like their messages about Koresh and the devil, and later in Tomorrow's Harvest, you can just not think about it and enjoy the music. That's the beauty of making instrumental electronic music.

Even if their next hypothetical album is political in the slightest, I'm always there for the music first and foremost.

As of the last 7 years, they've only said one thing to us..."You okay?" :)

Boqurant

That sample definitley gave me the good kind of chills. Kind of what we all needed to hear these last few years from them.
Image ImageImage

Eagle Minded
oliveoil22 wrote:

That sample definitley gave me the good kind of chills. Kind of what we all needed to hear these last few years from them.

Funny I was listening to some soundtracks and then suddenly
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
oliveoil22 wrote:

Before Moz showed us where it came from (excellent job on that!) I though it sounded like a mother consoling a child who fell down while playing. Just really sweet and fit perfectly with the sweetness of the Sometimes remix

Imagine if Sometimes was released in 2020 instead of 2017. I feel that sample would have been even more powerful for the fans! It still is, but damn, there's been quite a few times this year where I've needed someone to ask "you okay?" :)

Eagle Minded
I am not so sure if that is the exact same thing but interesting nonetheless. Trevor Jones is an interesting composer.

Friendly Stranger
Echelon wrote:Actually, I don't even want to think about BOC and how they relate to modern politics. They're kind of my happy place away from it.

Right?! How did this thread become about politics in a forum about an instrumental band? Pls let’s not mix the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayvan Cowboy
KoA wrote:
Echelon wrote:Actually, I don't even want to think about BOC and how they relate to modern politics. They're kind of my happy place away from it.

Right?! How did this thread become about politics in a forum about an instrumental band? Pls let’s not mix the two.

The climate is just so hyper-political that I couldn't resist, but I felt guilty immediately after. Especially since we're all using quotes from long dated interviews. I have a good feeling that if/when BOC release something else, we'll have a better idea where they stand on this crazy world or even better, they just focus on the music and ignore politics all together.

Any bets on if they're doing anything for Beautiful Place's anniversary? Is it on the 13th, the 17th or the 27th? I've seen all three mentioned on here and elsewhere.

I feel it will be mentioned or retweeted on Twitter and that's it. But perhaps we'll get a nice lithograph of those iconic Beautiful Place photos. I'd buy that. Some of my favorite BOC art comes from the IBPOITC art.

Wonderful EP btw and a great, humanistic statement about what the government thinks of anarchistic outsiders and weirdos. Though yet again, the music is what matters most on it. Kid For Today opened a great new millennium for BOC.

Friendly Stranger
BoC always seemed like it was too concerned with something just under the surface of reality to be concerned with the politics of mortal humans, idk. Not like they are “gods” or anything but like they know something we don’t about the supernatural world. At least that’s what I like to feel when I listen. A form of escapism for me I guess.

Dayvan Cowboy
It's weird. BOC are the most out-there of the Warp bands but also the most concerned with the human condition. I feel unlike a lot of their friends on Warp, they aim their music towards ordinary people rather than abstractions. But what makes them out-there is a really unusual, slanted view towards humanity. It's like the cover of Headphase. That's just your average young man from the 00s but he's been warped and distorted with psychedelic effects.

They definitely focus more on the undercurrent of life than what's on the surface.

Dayvan Cowboy
KoA wrote:Right?! How did this thread become about politics in a forum about an instrumental band? Pls let’s not mix the two.

BoC referred to Tomorrow's Harvest as a political album. The fact that their music is primarily instrumental doesn't somehow make their work apolitical either - look at Godspeed You Black Emperor (a band BoC have mentioned in at least one interview). The vast majority of their music is instrumental, but they are one of the most radically political bands I know of.

You don't like the political aspect, feel free to sit it out - but it's absolutely part of their work.

Boqurant
I dont see them as political per se, but more as conduits for the inherent political nature of their source material, be it public information films, Waco, 80s grindhouse horror, or all the other myriad of sounds and samples that make up their albums.

When you revisit the sounds and discourse of the past, from the perspective of the future, it sounds political, because you pick up themes and subliminal messaging that was difficult to unpack at the time.

Of course, you could argue they are explicitly political in the choice of sample material, sounds, and the way they stitch it together. But I dont think its that simple. Its a rhizomic situation where the environment shapes the artist ant the artist tries to reshape and reframe the environment.

There's no way you spend two albums addressing The Branch Dividians and have the records not be, at the very least, a sliver of a political statement. Add in Dandelion and Energy Warning and you have your answer.

Backtrack to One Very Important Thought.

Fast forward to Tomorrow's Harvest.

BOC's art definitely has political tendancies. Who doesn't?
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Friendly Stranger
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
KoA wrote:Right?! How did this thread become about politics in a forum about an instrumental band? Pls let’s not mix the two.

BoC referred to Tomorrow's Harvest as a political album. The fact that their music is primarily instrumental doesn't somehow make their work apolitical either - look at Godspeed You Black Emperor (a band BoC have mentioned in at least one interview). The vast majority of their music is instrumental, but they are one of the most radically political bands I know of.

You don't like the political aspect, feel free to sit it out - but it's absolutely part of their work.

People here are arguing over what their politics even are. Songs like Energy Warning and One Very Important Thought have a left leaning vibe IMO (which would seem to go with the psychedelic aspect of TCH) but people here are saying how they are actually radical right so who knows. If you can’t even tell what their politics are it must not be a huge part of their aesthetic. They have straight up said they don’t like to bring politics in to it. TH is “political” as in its apocalyptic, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a protest album or something. If you think this is “radically political” go look at 80’s hardcore punk and the like. I think it’s people projecting their own politics on to a background of nostalgia and occult imagery that seems significant. Lots of inferring things that aren’t really there.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada