GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
dcom wrote:IDM = It Doesn't Matter™.

:]
"R-Worded"

Dayvan Cowboy
ColinWallis wrote:i am certain that anything they decide to record and release to the public will deeply satisfy me in more than a few ways that none, or very few artists are even capable of doing.

I agree on this. For all the words I've posted, I've got a feeling that it's probably going to be great, regardless of what it is.

Though I do suspect there will be a heavily divisive, acid-minded track on their next album as there usually is. AKA Basefree, Rue The Whirl, Zoetrope, Sherbet Head and Jackyard Causeway.

I'll probably dig it, as I dig all those tracks, though I'm sure there will be tons of debates on this divisive track's worthiness. One of the most memorable-for-the-wrong-reason quotes from someone on a new (at the time) TH track was that Palace Posey sounded like a "handicapped giant playing with its balls."
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
ColinWallis wrote:i am certain that anything they decide to record and release to the public will deeply satisfy me in more than a few ways that none, or very few artists are even capable of doing.

I agree on this. For all the words I've posted, I've got a feeling that it's probably going to be great, regardless of what it is.

Though I do suspect there will be a heavily divisive, acid-minded track on their next album as there usually is. AKA Basefree, Rue The Whirl, Zoetrope, Sherbet Head and Jackyard Causeway.

I'll probably dig it, as I dig all those tracks, though I'm sure there will be tons of debates on this divisive track's worthiness. One of the most memorable-for-the-wrong-reason quotes from someone on a new (at the time) TH track was that Palace Posey sounded like a "handicapped giant playing with its balls."

I think Rue The Whirl suffers from being sandwiched between Roygbiv and Aquarius. I never thought it was a bad track, and I still find nothing wrong with it, but I still tend to instinctively skip it. I've found myself doing this on other albums as well. Never knew this was a shared feeling though, and didn't realize Sherbet Head was one of them either.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote: didn't realize Sherbet Head was one of them either.

Maybe Sherbet Head isn't one, but I've heard some varying opinions on it. It's the weirdest track on Headphase by a country mile and reminds me a lot of their older weirdness. Love it though. Especially the weird "snow/sherbet shoveling" static sounds.

Rue the Whirl definitely is subversive being between two of their greatest hits. It's a difficult track at first, but the ending coda is the closest they ever got to the Beatles. It sounds like the mellotron you'd hear in Flying on Magical Mystery Tour and a bit of Strawberry Fields Forever too.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:Love it though. Especially the weird "snow/sherbet shoveling" static sounds.

I've always heard an indoor swimming pool ambience in that track. But now that you mentioned it, it does sound like snow shoveling.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
rodox_head wrote: didn't realize Sherbet Head was one of them either.

Maybe Sherbet Head isn't one, but I've heard some varying opinions on it. It's the weirdest track on Headphase by a country mile and reminds me a lot of their older weirdness. Love it though. Especially the weird "snow/sherbet shoveling" static sounds.

Rue the Whirl definitely is subversive being between two of their greatest hits. It's a difficult track at first, but the ending coda is the closest they ever got to the Beatles. It sounds like the mellotron you'd hear in Flying on Magical Mystery Tour and a bit of Strawberry Fields Forever too.

Maybe I just really need to listen to TCH deeply again. Funnily enough, my first BoC album, yet probably my least favorite of the 4 LPs, which doesn't say much to be fair. I think that instinctive skip reaction probably goes to Oscar See Through Red Eye for me. Sherbet Head and Ataronchronon have a beautifully dark tone to them that makes them great mid-album tracks, OSTRE doesn't really do it for me though. Looking at how the albums are divided for the vinyl releases as opposed to CD gives a better perspective as to how to listen to the tracks. Rue The Whirl sounds a little off when put between tracks, but sounds great as an opener for side three. It's a great track that's easy to overlook.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:What are you guys hoping to hear from the next album? The space theme that's been knocked around sounds pretty interesting to me, personally. I'd be interested to hear a continuous narrative space opera in album form from them. Or at the very least something with song transitions. Tomorrow's Harvest was lacking in that department.

That reddit post from months ago about the all black cover and the 10 minute track kind of mirrored what I'd like to see, except for the black cover. that doesn't feel right for boc and solid colour artwork is a tad boring, especially for boc... A ten minute track would be incredible though.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing BOC would ever do a blank, solid-color album given how much of a visual element their music has always had.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Biznasty wrote:What are you guys hoping to hear from the next album? The space theme that's been knocked around sounds pretty interesting to me, personally. I'd be interested to hear a continuous narrative space opera in album form from them. Or at the very least something with song transitions. Tomorrow's Harvest was lacking in that department.

That reddit post from months ago about the all black cover and the 10 minute track kind of mirrored what I'd like to see, except for the black cover. that doesn't feel right for boc and solid colour artwork is a tad boring, especially for boc... A ten minute track would be incredible though.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing BOC would ever do a blank, solid-color album given how much of a visual element their music has always had.

Peel Session.
Suck my BUTT

Eagle Minded
TheStatPow wrote:Peel Session.

Not to be an "um actually" guy but the '98 Peel art wasn't designed by BoC, it was designed by Warp. Warp used the same template for Autechre and The Black Dog's peel sessions. The HS/music70 CD-R copy uses a BoC designed cover, a cover that's a lot cooler looking than the one Warp chose for the original '98 issue
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
TheStatPow wrote:
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

Peel Session.

does Catalog 3 count?
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
belchmaster wrote:
Echelon wrote:Love it though. Especially the weird "snow/sherbet shoveling" static sounds.

I've always heard an indoor swimming pool ambience in that track. But now that you mentioned it, it does sound like snow shoveling.

Rettic AC from Autechre's Chiastic Slide shares a similar "snow shoveling" effect in the noises, but with BOC they predictably add melodicity into the mix. Really showcases a similar method of IDM between the bands, but BOC favorably, for me at least, choose to include a strong and weird synth melody with it.

Honestly, one of my favorite elements of IDM is all the noises where you have no idea what the hell is making it, but its very compelling. It's for that reason, why BOC probably take a long time. They're busy inventing noises that we've never heard before.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:. Looking at how the albums are divided for the vinyl releases as opposed to CD gives a better perspective as to how to listen to the tracks. Rue The Whirl sounds a little off when put between tracks, but sounds great as an opener for side three. It's a great track that's easy to overlook.

The beauty of BOC is that they structure their albums so well, that even listening to the albums on vinyl versus CD opens up a world of interpretation for a BOC fan.

That is why, when the new album is finally released, I'm probably going to spend so much time comparing which format gives me a better listening experience. I've been burned out to listening to BOC for so long (as a fan though, I'll never burn out) but when something new comes along, I'm finally going to be able to take a deep dive again.

Eagle Minded
I don't know why, but I just have this feeling that it will be soon. Soon being within the next couple years. Finger's crossed.
:INDIFFERENT SPACES:
all albums [IS1-IS13] available here:
http://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com

Eagle Minded
sandrail wrote:
Wildfire wrote:Some of my favourite tracks are beatless. Sundown, Untitled Live etc.

Which untitled track? Flute Frum Thing?

This bad boy...

phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
Echelon wrote:Honestly, one of my favorite elements of IDM is all the noises where you have no idea what the hell is making it, but its very compelling. It's for that reason, why BOC probably take a long time. They're busy inventing noises that we've never heard before.

Autechre are more synthesis based and BoC are more audio/sample manipulation, especially back then. Not to say that either didn't dip into the other style too because they obviously did.
This is why these artists have captured us. I personally like to hear effort and love not knowing what has made the sounds I am hearing. Music transcends human creation if done right. Even really well crafted songs with traditional instruments can just be without imagining them recorded from parts, they just exist.
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
Elexen wrote:I don't know why, but I just have this feeling that it will be soon. Soon being within the next couple years. Finger's crossed.

I would love that, the more "soon", the better

Posts Quantity
Perhaps Point Hope is ATP-02, what do you guys think? Very similar to ATP-07 which is most definitely Noatak, and the length of it is exactly the same length of PH.
phpBB [media]

Really good remaster of their show, by the way.
Fly!

Eagle Minded
sandrail wrote:Perhaps Point Hope is ATP-02, what do you guys think? Very similar to ATP-07 which is most definitely Noatak, and the length of it is exactly the same length of PH.
phpBB [media]

I disagree that ATP-07 is Noatak, as it doesn't really fit the description of Hooper Bay. Noatak isn't really as moody or slow-paced as ATP-02 is. But I definetely think ATP-02 is Point Hope. And for anyone that says, "it sounds too modern to be older BoC", just remember that Twoism came out one year later after Hooper.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Posts Quantity
funnnnpng wrote:
sandrail wrote:Perhaps Point Hope is ATP-02, what do you guys think? Very similar to ATP-07 which is most definitely Noatak, and the length of it is exactly the same length of PH.
phpBB [media]

I disagree that ATP-07 is Noatak, as it doesn't really fit the description of Hooper Bay. Noatak isn't really as moody or slow-paced as ATP-02 is. But I definetely think ATP-02 is Point Hope. And for anyone that says, "it sounds too modern to be older BoC", just remember that Twoism came out one year later after Hooper.

Nothing's too modern for BoC when they've always been ahead of the music game.
Fly!

Posts Quantity
funnnnpng wrote:
phpBB [media]

I always thought it was Noatak due to the circle-like disturbing ambient sounds going on in the background, as well as the voice that MIGHT be saying "Noatak!". Though it could be saying something like "glow in the dark" too.
Fly!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada