GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head wrote:In this instance, I think "on its way" could be applied to any part of the process. They might've finally decided to sit down and start writing, or they might've submitted the final thing for mastering. I mean, it's been 8 months since this message, so it clearly wasn't in the 'warehouse' stage back then, but who knows, maybe it is now?!

It's a super vague statement, but it does tell us that there will be a new Boards of Canada album coming out at some point, even though some folks are still convinced that BoC are done. :roll:

By your logic, they could still be done. If "on its way" means they just decided to sit down and start writing where's the guarantee there will be a record? Halfway writing they could call it quits for instance.

I stand by my previous statement. On its way implies certainty. Sitting down at the very beginning of the process doesn't.

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:
Sherbet Head wrote:In this instance, I think "on its way" could be applied to any part of the process. They might've finally decided to sit down and start writing, or they might've submitted the final thing for mastering. I mean, it's been 8 months since this message, so it clearly wasn't in the 'warehouse' stage back then, but who knows, maybe it is now?!

It's a super vague statement, but it does tell us that there will be a new Boards of Canada album coming out at some point, even though some folks are still convinced that BoC are done. :roll:

By your logic, they could still be done. If "on its way" means they just decided to sit down and start writing where's the guarantee there will be a record? Halfway writing they could call it quits for instance.

I stand by my previous statement. On its way implies certainty. Sitting down at the very beginning of the process doesn't.

Sure, there could be some unforeseen tragedy or circumstance that prevents it from being completed, but as of last July, we know that Boards of Canada were still active and making music with the intention of a public release. Some people chose not to believe this and were convinced that BoC "were done", which obviously could be a viable prospect at some point, but at that moment in time, they were completely wrong, hence the eye roll.

Let's be real, there's always going to be a level of uncertainty until it's with the label and there's an official announcement. Just look at Kevin Shields. He said two new MBV records would come out in 2018. It's been 5 years since then and still nothing.

Eagle Minded
mdg has given numerous statements over the years, saying things like, "they're working on new material" or even more vaguely that "boc is always working"...

This time around he's specifically said that an album, is on its way. The album is on its way... Not vague "new material", an album.

I think it pretty clearly indicates that they have a finished album, otherwise why specify album? We all know how often BoC's plans change. If BoC were only just starting their writing process, there's no guarantee that what they make even ends up being an album. Maybe they end up with an EP or a series of EPs, a soundtrack, an hour long drone piece, or just a single song.

I don't think BoC would be content with confidently saying that an album is on its way if there wasn't an entire album already in existence that could even have the potential of being on its way... Especially after mdg ended up being wrong in '09, and especially after such a long wait since the last one.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Eagle Minded
Biznasty wrote:mdg has given numerous statements over the years, saying things like, "they're working on new material" or even more vaguely that "boc is always working"...

This time around he's specifically said that an album, is on its way. The album is on its way... Not vague "new material", an album.

I think it pretty clearly indicates that they have a finished album, otherwise why specify album? We all know how often BoC's plans change. If BoC were only just starting their writing process, there's no guarantee that what they make even ends up being an album. Maybe they end up with an EP or a series of EPs, a soundtrack, an hour long drone piece, or just a single song.

I don't think BoC would be content with confidently saying that an album is on its way if there wasn't an entire album already in existence that could even have the potential of being on its way... Especially after mdg ended up being wrong in '09, and especially after such a long wait since the last one.

I'm not disputing the fact that an album is being worked on. All I'm saying is that "on its way" offers no indication of a timeframe.

Like I said, at that point they could've finally sat down after years of experimentation, remixes, Societas X, etc. and said "ok, let's start making the album" - in which case, "on its way" is a valid statement. They may be half way through fleshing a record out and making some good progress, which could also totally align with "on its way". They might've submitted the completed album for mastering and are finalising some artwork, designing a marketing campaign, etc. and "on its way" works for that too.

MDG said a new album was "coming" in 2009, how is that any different from "on its way"?

Posts Quantity
:}
"R-Worded"

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:
Biznasty wrote:mdg has given numerous statements over the years, saying things like, "they're working on new material" or even more vaguely that "boc is always working"...

I'm not disputing the fact that an album is being worked on. All I'm saying is that "on its way" offers no indication of a timeframe.

Like I said, at that point they could've finally sat down after years of experimentation, remixes, Societas X, etc. and said "ok, let's start making the album" - in which case, "on its way" is a valid statement. They may be half way through fleshing a record out and making some good progress, which could also totally align with "on its way". They might've submitted the completed album for mastering and are finalising some artwork, designing a marketing campaign, etc. and "on its way" works for that too.

MDG said a new album was "coming" in 2009, how is that any different from "on its way"?

You know what this means, we need MDG on here to clarify things ;)

Babylulu? You know the task XD (sarcasm but I do hope he comes on to at let's us know what he really meant)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
It’s not in a warehouse. If they surprise release it I’ll know about a month beforehand as I work at a music distribution warehouse in Sweden that deals Warp records. I’ll let you know if that’s the case…

Dayvan Cowboy
bungler666 wrote:It’s not in a warehouse. If they surprise release it I’ll know about a month beforehand as I work at a music distribution warehouse in Sweden that deals Warp records. I’ll let you know if that’s the case…
This is more concrete than MDG's message in my eyes.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Friendly Stranger
Hold on, is Warp still doing that thing where they release digital first and then the physical?

Boqurant
vapordracula wrote:Hold on, is Warp still doing that thing where they release digital first and then the physical?

I can’t offer any sources so take this with a pinch of salt, but I remember a discussion about the pros and cons of realising digital formats before vinyl from a while back when Adele had backlogged vinyl production and everyone was facing unexpected manufacturing delays.

The upshot was that if you can release everything on the same day you are going to sell far more records in total than if you do a staggered release, so although labels could go digital first the general consensus was that for bigger releases it wasn’t economically sound to do so.

So personally I don’t expect Warp to go digital first when the BOC album is out. They’ll want to maximise potential vinyl sales

Eagle Minded
bungler666 wrote:It’s not in a warehouse. If they surprise release it I’ll know about a month beforehand as I work at a music distribution warehouse in Sweden that deals Warp records. I’ll let you know if that’s the case…

Pretty sweet job you got there.

But you're totally right. The idea that a new BoC record has been sitting in a warehouse for the past 8 months is totally ludicrous. I'm sure it would've leaked ages ago if that were the case.

There's no NDA involved in your job with this kind of foreknowledge?

Eagle Minded

I don't know if I'm more excited or sad about this.

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:

Maybe… I can ask around.

Dayvan Cowboy
Well this is pretty cool. Not sure how BOC themselves would feel about info being leaked but no doubt someone, somewhere is bound to hear or see something.

I do believe they'd probably be a bit more secretive with it though. Though I'm not sure how procedures work at this warehouse.

Dayvan Cowboy

Eagle Minded
"New tracks from ... Boards of Canada" ??

Seen here: https://www.thefader.com/2023/01/23/lis ... e-of-cards

The quote:
"The Kevin Shields remix of "HOUSE OF CARDS" is a part of the Lex Records’ 20th-anniversary series, with new tracks from Thom Yorke, Boards of Canada, and Danger Mouse also on the way"
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Eagle Minded
b0qurant wrote:"New tracks from ... Boards of Canada" ??

The quote:
"The Kevin Shields remix of "HOUSE OF CARDS" is a part of the Lex Records’ 20th-anniversary series, with new tracks from Thom Yorke, Boards of Canada, and Danger Mouse also on the way"

it's not new boc, just the treat em right remix from 2021. that article has some very evil wording. :lol:
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
funnnnpng wrote:
b0qurant wrote:"New tracks from ... Boards of Canada" ??

The quote:

it's not new boc, just the treat em right remix from 2021. that article has some very evil wording. :lol:

got it ... thanx!
I figured it must be a misunderstanding.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Dayvan Cowboy
bungler666 wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:

Maybe… I can ask around.

Now that I think about it, BOC probably wouldn't be careless enough to leave stuff lying around the warehouse and they'd probably send someone to break people's legs if it leaked :P They were even gonna do that to Chris Cunningham so I wouldn't advise upsetting them haha (I say that in jest, but again, BOC take getting their cargo out to the public very seriously. Especially if they've worked ten years on it!)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada