GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:I just wonder what Boards are up to?

Apparently, not much.
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Sherbet Head
Hope they're doin' ok. That's all.

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah, also how about some new music?

Dayvan Cowboy
boards of canada
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
I feel there's three groups of artists these days.

The typical artist who releases something every three years.

Bibio and Kevin Barnes types who release something in half the time. Like one and a half years.

And then, we have the MBVs, Peter Gabriel and Tool types who are such perfectionists that it takes them an inordinate amount of time to release their next album.

Alas, you can guess which one the Sandisons are under. But I respect them a lot and I know that the next album is gonna sound perfectly laboured over. Like Tomorrow's Harvest was. All four remixes are fantastic, as was Societas, so when BOC's I/O drops we're gonna be in for a treat.

PS: I'm sure they're ok. We all just trying to live life to the best of our abilities
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
rodox_head wrote:boards of canada

more like bored of canada right now
"Boc is probably in the future thinking about the past" - Sean Booth 05/06/2022

https://maschtob.bandcamp.com/album/the-9th-sacred-camp

Dayvan Cowboy
μasch wrote:
boards of canada
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
μasch wrote:
boards of canada

Of Canada, Bored

Eagle Minded
How's every one feeling about the whole situation right now? What are peoples hot takes? Currently radio silence but the past couple years activity have been thought provoking, even though dates, theories and speculation didn't pan out. Many dates are coming around again.
Who has hope? what are peoples thoughts?

Best
FOX

Dayvan Cowboy
hexagonFox wrote:How's every one feeling about the whole situation right now? What are peoples hot takes? Currently radio silence but the past couple years activity have been thought provoking, even though dates, theories and speculation didn't pan out. Many dates are coming around again.

Best
FOX

I just know we're gonna get something eventually.

Marcus follows Peter Gabriel and as me and Orbited mention a lot, it took 20 years for his latest album to come out.

I'm confident this is a similar case. It's just gonna take a bit. After all, Mike and Marc apparently spent months on a ONE second noise on Cold Earth. These guys are obaessive with their sound. And they don't compromise. I'm sure there's gonna be short fragments on this next album that they spent even longer on.

But...BOC released Treat Em Right in 2021 to prove they outlasted Daft Punk, and then in 2022 MDG said word for word that a new album was on the way. So yeah. It will be here but that's all there is to it. I'm done reading the tea leaves. :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
hexagonFox wrote:How's every one feeling about the whole situation right now? What are peoples hot takes? Currently radio silence but the past couple years activity have been thought provoking, even though dates, theories and speculation didn't pan out. Many dates are coming around again.

Best
FOX

I just know we're gonna get something eventually.

Marcus follows Peter Gabriel and as me and Orbited mention a lot, it took 20 years for his latest album to come out.

I'm confident this is a similar case. It's just gonna take a bit. After all, Mike and Marc apparently spent months on a ONE second noise on Cold Earth. These guys are obaessive with their sound. And they don't compromise. I'm sure there's gonna be short fragments on this next album that they spent even longer on.

But...BOC released Treat Em Right in 2021 to prove they outlasted Daft Punk, and then in 2022 MDG said word for word that a new album was on the way. So yeah. It will be here but that's all there is to it. I'm done reading the tea leaves. :)

Indeed there Echelon, agree with every word. :wink:
There's wealth of artists out there, Boards are one of three bands I hold so dear.

Aside, I only usually pop in this thread occasionally to see what's occurrin'. But I don't doubt it'll be a grand day indeed when the music is announced.

Sherbet Head

Eagle Minded
I guess I can lay down some quick speculation to hopefully tide y'all over.

I said a while back that June/July was our best bet for BoC news, and that still seems to be holding true.

After analyzing Warp's release schedule, some noticable patterns emerge. For one thing, they like to release about ten albums a year, and so far we're at four confirmed for 2023. Warp also don't like to leave the fans hanging. There's almost always something else to wait for. Barring some occasional deviation, they'll typically announce the next album right before one releases.

Take last year for example:

Wu-Lu's LOGGERHEAD was announced on 2022-05-04, and !!! - Let It Be Blue released the next day. Then, just over a week before LOGGERHEAD released in July, Hudson Mohawke's Cry Sugar was announced.

Since Yves Tumor's new album that's too long to type out was soon to release, I predicted back on March 1st that we should be seeing a new announcement soon and I was proven right the next day, when James Ellis Ford's The Hum was announced.

Now for the actual BoC-related speculation:

Aside from Yves' album dropping in a few days, we're waiting for two albums. James Ellis Ford's and Squid's, which is releasing on June 9th :shock:, and, based on what Ollie from Squid said when it was announced, they finished it last Spring. This means it took Warp about a year to announce it. Well, the consensus around here seems to be that MDG wouldn't tell us there's an album on the way if BoC hadn't finished it. MDG last spoke at the end of June, last year... If it takes Warp a year to announce something, more and more signs are pointing to a Summer BoC announcement.

I predict we'll first get one announcement in April, though. Probably from Warp newcomer, Kassa Overcome, whose single's CAT number surely has a full album attached to it, putting us at five 2023 Warp albums so far. There's also rumours of new 0PN, and Danny Brown albums. That's seven albums. Plus BoC is eight, and there's potential for an AFX album amidst all the touring he's doing, which is nine. Sounds like a busy year for Warp... 8)

(I just hope I'm not putting too much pressure on June. If nothing happens don't be mad at me :D)
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Dayvan Cowboy
Well done, Bisnasty.

I will say this, I do believe we should treat MDGs words the same exact way that we would treat Autechres if they said something was coming out in the future. Or Squid. Or anyone for that matter. As highly improbable as a BOC album seems, MDG did exactly what Autechre did when they told us that two albums were coming out in 2020.

I really like your one year theory and I can actually see an announcement one year after the album was finished. We just gotta hang in there :)

Eagle Minded
Make the music with your mouth Biz..... good take.

I believe an announcement will happen this summer as well... if not, I'll be at the end of my rope.

Sherbet Head
I hope after this supposed album they don't throw releasing music to the wind entirely. It feels like BOC is a project that is winding down more than anything. The world should've stayed in the 90s a little longer :-)

Posts Quantity
i highly doubt they're 'winding down' in any way whatsoever with their music.

just my opinion of course, but i think they'll be making music until they die.
"R-Worded"

Posts Quantity
at least from my perspective as a lifelong artist / musician - i definitely can't see myself ever deciding to 'wind down', and i've never seen any evidence to suggest they are the types to do so themselves.
"R-Worded"

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm teasing a bit, but what makes us think they're still alive?

Dayvan Cowboy
zeitgeist wrote:I'm teasing a bit, but what makes us think they're still alive?

MDG logged on recently and we all know Mark David Garrett is short for Markus David Garrett :P

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada