GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Hah! Accurate :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:Image

I feel this way sometimes. BOC hype has been activated since the Societas X Tape and it's been looking for an outlet.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Yep! Still riding that hype train myself. It's been a great gift to us fans and I feel like has brought us all a little closer together. The day we all heard it for the first time was a magical experience communicating with you guys, seeing your thoughts on each and every moment, and making jokes along the way. I still crack up when Shreeman Narayana started and someone commented "this is def Marcus singing" hahaha. I will always flash back to the summer of 2019 when listening to the mixtape many years from now. I think I have listened to it every day since, which I'm not sure if that makes me weirdly fanatical or just a stellar enthusiast of the band :twisted: I was playing it in the car earlier today with the windows down and at a stoplight someone said Devo!! LOL.

As I was saying on the other thread, if we were to conclude from what Autechre said about having short notice for the radio show, and assumed a similar situation with BoC, then it really is a remarkable feat of strength that they put together a near perfect mixtape (really my only complaint is that I feel like in such a short amount of time. That begs the question that if they had short notice for that, then the next release will certainly be something incredible, given the amount of time they have had to work on it!

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:Yep! Still riding that hype train myself. It's been a great gift to us fans and I feel like has brought us all a little closer together. The day we all heard it for the first time was a magical experience communicating with you guys, seeing your thoughts on each and every moment, and making jokes along the way. I still crack up when Shreeman Narayana started and someone commented "this is def Marcus singing" hahaha. I will always flash back to the summer of 2019 when listening to the mixtape many years from now. I think I have listened to it every day since, which I'm not sure if that makes me weirdly fanatical or just a stellar enthusiast of the band :twisted: I was playing it in the car earlier today with the windows down and at a stoplight someone said Devo!! LOL.

As I was saying on the other thread, if we were to conclude from what Autechre said about having short notice for the radio show, and assumed a similar situation with BoC, then it really is a remarkable feat of strength that they put together a near perfect mixtape (really my only complaint is that I feel like in such a short amount of time. That begs the question that if they had short notice for that, then the next release will certainly be something incredible, given the amount of time they have had to work on it!

I missed out on the first playing of the tape because I was on a date and didn't want to stand up my girlfriend even for my all-time favorite electronica group so I was a little miffed there was no original material. But then I took a listen and I have fully accepted Societas X Tape into the BOC canon and feel it is a great new chapter for them. I feel since we already had Old Tunes and R35TT rather than doing another dump, they figured they'd do a tribute to their influences in that Old Tunes style instead. Nice move! And it is consistently great too.

I will go out on a limb here and say this release is better than Tomorrow's Harvest... there I said it! :shock: That song that plays around the 6 minute with the midi piano and the news coverage type synths is what I think they were going for with TH but even better.

There are also little modifications to a bunch of these tracks and adverts so I feel it can be associated with Hell Interface. I think my favorite modification is on the Doxa track where it actually ends with "Give it a bit longer," something the original track doesn't do. If that's not a message to the fanbase, I don't know what is.

Posts Quantity
Wow, nice! There you have it... The next album just isn't 100% ready yet. But it will be!

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:I think my favorite modification is on the Doxa track where it actually ends with "Give it a bit longer," something the original track doesn't do. If that's not a message to the fanbase, I don't know what is.

This is not a modification. It is completely commonplace in mixtapes to play tracks significantly shorter than the full tracks length, just as they do this whole tape. Don't think there's a message here.

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:
Echelon wrote:I think my favorite modification is on the Doxa track where it actually ends with "Give it a bit longer," something the original track doesn't do. If that's not a message to the fanbase, I don't know what is.

This is not a modification. It is completely commonplace in mixtapes to play tracks significantly shorter than the full tracks length, just as they do this whole tape. Don't think there's a message here.

There was a recent interview where Boards said something along the lines that they appreciate how savvy their fanbase is towards analyzing their work. I really think there are some kind of messages honestly. I don't swear my life that there are, but it's fun to imagine that they chose certain things because they knew that people would react a certain way towards them. BOC are if anything, masterful at drawing emotions and thoughts from the listener.

Again, I'm not like making maps or charts about the hidden messages in the mix-tape, more just like "wouldn't this be nice if this meant 'blank.' And to me, I think it's funny that they chose to cut off the Doxa track (which seems to have a lot of lines of dialogue that pertain to the situation we're at now as a BOC fanbase) at "give it a bit longer." Its just something that gives me hope honestly.

Dayvan Cowboy
Choosing to cut off a track early absolutely is a modification, albeit a relatively innocuous one.

That said, we're talking about a group that is well known to communicate via subliminal messages and hidden codes. I don't think it's out of the question to think there was some thought put into where the vocal samples of the chosen tracks would fall in the mix.

Posts Quantity
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Choosing to cut off a track early absolutely is a modification, albeit a relatively innocuous one.

Thing is though, it's literally how you mix tracks in a mixtape. At the very least, the word modification is a bit heavy-handed and misleading to something completely commonplace of the medium. There is no modification to the core of the track or any extra samples, or any other indication that the last sample played before the next track is mixed in has any significance at all.

SamuraiDrifter wrote:That said, we're talking about a group that is well known to communicate via subliminal messages and hidden codes. I don't think it's out of the question to think there was some thought put into where the vocal samples of the chosen tracks would fall in the mix.

I get that. But it seems like a really thin lead. It'd make sense to me if it was a genuine modification such as adding samples but it really isn't. Making something out of the Minute Maid interlude which was actually intentional makes more sense to me, and even then that's silly to be honest when it's just their sense of humour like in a Few Old Tunes. The whole thing is just a bit of fun, a mix of inspirations, tracks they love and some very Boards interludes inbetween. I don't think there's a Geogaddi or Tomorrow's Harvest level of subliminal messages in it.

Sherbet Head
Personally I think it's a bit rude to be giving BoC as much credit as some of you are. Attributing this alongside their output and saying it's better than tomorrow's harvest should be testament to all the artists they included. Of course, BoC curated it very tastefully and it's a great window into their tastes but lets not get all weird about it.
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:Personally I think it's a bit rude to be giving BoC as much credit as some of you are. Attributing this alongside their output and saying it's better than tomorrow's harvest should be testament to all the artists they included. Of course, BoC curated it very tastefully and it's a great window into their tastes but lets not get all weird about it.

I do enjoy it a bit more than Tomorrow's Harvest though. Personally I think TH is their weakest album (though I still enjoy the hell out of it) and there are just some better compositions on Societas X Tape. Compared to anything else in their catalog though, they wipe the floor with Societas X Tape, no contest.

I'm not attributing it to their catalog as much as considering it a chapter for them. Which I really only am because they've mostly been silent for 6 years with little to no hints on where they're going next or if they're are doing anything at all. It's more just me being hopeful and hyped than any cultist mentality towards BOC.

I just tend to paint with broad strokes when I write, so I understand why you would think what you think about what I wrote.

Sherbet Head
Echelon wrote:I do enjoy it a bit more than Tomorrow's Harvest though. Personally I think TH is their weakest album (though I still enjoy the hell out of it) and there are just some better compositions on Societas X Tape. Compared to anything else in their catalog though, they wipe the floor with Societas X Tape, no contest.

TH is my least favourite too but the way you say "there are better compositions in the soctape" is giving credit to BoC for them when the compositions should not even be compared, they are not BoC's.
Compare TH with other BoC albums sure, but give credit to the artists they curated with the better compositions in that compilation if you want to give them credit. It's not illegal on here to say you like another artists track over some of BoCs tracks.
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:
Echelon wrote:I do enjoy it a bit more than Tomorrow's Harvest though. Personally I think TH is their weakest album (though I still enjoy the hell out of it) and there are just some better compositions on Societas X Tape. Compared to anything else in their catalog though, they wipe the floor with Societas X Tape, no contest.

TH is my least favourite too but the way you say "there are better compositions in the soctape" is giving credit to BoC for them when the compositions should not even be compared, they are not BoC's.
Compare TH with other BoC albums sure, but give credit to the artists they curated with the better compositions in that compilation if you want to give them credit. It's not illegal on here to say you like another artists track over some of BoCs tracks.

I don't credit BOC with the artist's compositions, just with the mix tape. And I think the mix-tape was better than TH. But yeah, all respect to the artists where it's given. I feel it's more my fault that I'm not able to communicate that, (I've never been the most eloquent speaker online) because I do believe that!

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:I get that. But it seems like a really thin lead. It'd make sense to me if it was a genuine modification such as adding samples but it really isn't. Making something out of the Minute Maid interlude which was actually intentional makes more sense to me, and even then that's silly to be honest when it's just their sense of humour like in a Few Old Tunes. The whole thing is just a bit of fun, a mix of inspirations, tracks they love and some very Boards interludes inbetween. I don't think there's a Geogaddi or Tomorrow's Harvest level of subliminal messages in it.

We know there are at least SOME subliminals in Societas X Tape, at the very least the one in the These Trails song where the track cuts out and a deep voice says something about "fearful forces."

That said I strongly doubt there's anything remotely as significant as Geogaddi or TH on it and I don't put it on the same level as their albums by any means, though I think it's an interesting addition to their catalog. My only argument was that, given the band's history, it's not as absurd a thought as some are implying.

I will say that I think the Minute Maid interlude, where they talk about combining the juice from many different oranges, is a pretty clear tongue-in-cheek reference to the mixtape being a combination of a bunch of different artists. That's about all the significance I'd attribute there.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
Geogandhi wrote:Personally I think it's a bit rude to be giving BoC as much credit as some of you are. Attributing this alongside their output and saying it's better than tomorrow's harvest should be testament to all the artists they included. Of course, BoC curated it very tastefully and it's a great window into their tastes but lets not get all weird about it.

I do enjoy it a bit more than Tomorrow's Harvest though. Personally I think TH is their weakest album (though I still enjoy the hell out of it) and there are just some better compositions on Societas X Tape. Compared to anything else in their catalog though, they wipe the floor with Societas X Tape, no contest.

I'm not attributing it to their catalog as much as considering it a chapter for them. Which I really only am because they've mostly been silent for 6 years with little to no hints on where they're going next or if they're are doing anything at all. It's more just me being hopeful and hyped than any cultist mentality towards BOC.

I just tend to paint with broad strokes when I write, so I understand why you would think what you think about what I wrote.

Next time will be better.

Posts Quantity
I'm patient as can be for a new album, but after seeing this shitpostbot5000 template, I had the perfect idea for a meme. :P

That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(
Rateyourmusic account: https://rateyourmusic.com/~PrezSquid
WATMM account: https://forum.watmm.com/profile/23101-p ... squidward/

Boqurant
the above post is an image macro that I can personally get behind and support wholeheartedly

how likely is a 2019 release? even for longtime fans it can be hard to guess. The fact that Tomorrow's Harvest shows qualities of palindromes in its tracklist etc. made me think, possibly, they had this all planned out and TH is the 'crux' or centerpiece to an array of albums they had planned out well in advance, in terms of the timing of everything. Probably not, just an idea I had.

Eagle Minded
I think 2020 is the year we receive something substantial from BoC.

Happy Cycler
Sherbet Head wrote:I think 2020 is the year we receive something substantial from BoC.

Clearly.

Seriously though, 2020 just sounds right. We get to live to see the '20s! They will undoubtedly shed the electronic hifi production in favor of some big band styles.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:I think 2020 is the year we receive something substantial from BoC.

2020 it will be

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada