GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Also, I think speeding up "feeling bad can feel good" sounds a lot more natural. Take a listen for yourself:

phpBB [media]
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Boqurant
The Adult Swim post feels like an imitation of BoC more than anything. To me, it doesn't sound like a melody BoC would come up with

Dayvan Cowboy
funnnnpng wrote:Also, I think speeding up "feeling bad can feel good" sounds a lot more natural. Take a listen for yourself:

phpBB [media]

Funny. Sped up it makes me think of early BOC. (Music Has The Right etc) Slower makes me think of TH.

I actually dig it even more like this. You should do the whole thing like it.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
funnnnpng wrote:They're letting us sit at the edge of our seats, but whenever we expect something it doesn't come. I bet they're watching this thread and making sure whatever we speculate isn't true. In that case, BoC will never release a new album. :lol:

Also I get this vibe too. Nothing ever pans out. Nothing is real.

Perhaps if we stop predicting things, they'll actually make a move.

Boqurant
Re: asterisks
“ · Asterisk symbol is part of regular keyboard on number 8 key. The name is derived from the Latin word asteriskos indicating a little star. Asterisk is five pointed star in sans-serif font and six pointed in serif font while eight pointed when people write on hand.”
From webnots.com
vLG = 627 +- 22 km/s >>> L =276° +- 3: b = 30° +- 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npq_yb-xLmw

Posts Quantity
Seven eleven

1, 2, 3

Thank you for not smoking

.......... i can't get it outta my head
"R-Worded"

Posts Quantity
am i the only one thinking those eleven underscores on Marcus' twitter might mean something?

as long as that really is his Twitter, which it seems to be......

personally i doubt he put that there for no reason.. even if to just mess with us or something.... they must be aware, and it seems they may be sort of responding by these small changes?

imo he must in some way want us to look in to that, whethere or not it is just total Discordian fuckery or not....

i just find it very difficult to brush off.
"R-Worded"

Sherbet Head
ColinWallis wrote:am i the only one thinking those eleven underscores on Marcus' twitter might mean something?

as long as that really is his Twitter, which it seems to be......

personally i doubt he put that there for no reason.. even if to just mess with us or something.... they must be aware, and it seems they may be sort of responding by these small changes?

imo he must in some way want us to look in to that, whethere or not it is just total Discordian fuckery or not....

i just find it very difficult to brush off.

phpBB [media]
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Eagle Minded
debugDolores wrote:The Adult Swim post feels like an imitation of BoC more than anything. To me, it doesn't sound like a melody BoC would come up with

What would the point be for AS to post a mock / imitation of BoC for such a cryptic post? Also how can you predetermine the melodies that someone else would make?

To me, it sounds exactly like their production quality, esp like certain parts of TH and Geogaddi

Dayvan Cowboy
Enough people have done the "modular synths recorded hot to a tape and slowed down" thing and the "point the camera at the computer monitor" thing for it not to be copying BoC at this point.

TheStatPow wrote:Btw anyone can host that instagram clip to youtube? I couldn't be assed to make an account and I think a lot of people on here think the same :)

You don’t need an account to visit Instagram. Try opening the following link in an incognito browser tab and you will see it opens just fine:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGVAQKYg7-O ... 31nwwzvl19

Same for profiles:
https://www.instagram.com/livelight81/

Sherbet Head
Fredd-E wrote:
TheStatPow wrote:Btw anyone can host that instagram clip to youtube? I couldn't be assed to make an account and I think a lot of people on here think the same :)

You don’t need an account to visit Instagram. Try opening the following link in an incognito browser tab and you will see it opens just fine:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGVAQKYg7-O ... 31nwwzvl19

Same for profiles:
https://www.instagram.com/livelight81/

Thank you!
Suck my BUTT

Eagle Minded
Negamuse wrote:Enough people have done the "modular synths recorded hot to a tape and slowed down" thing and the "point the camera at the computer monitor" thing for it not to be copying BoC at this point.

Idunno, I've never really been convinced by BoC fakes, and again, it would not make sense for AS to advertise anything fake- given their relationship with Warp and BoC, I think it's highly likely it's them than otherwise

Posts Quantity
NTFMTS wrote:
Negamuse wrote:Enough people have done the "modular synths recorded hot to a tape and slowed down" thing and the "point the camera at the computer monitor" thing for it not to be copying BoC at this point.

Idunno, I've never really been convinced by BoC fakes, and again, it would not make sense for AS to advertise anything fake- given their relationship with Warp and BoC, I think it's highly likely it's them than otherwise

100% agree.

the idea that Boards of Canada's sound is easily copied because analog synthesizers have had a comeback is so insanely stupid i can hardly keep my composure as i type this.

none of these copycats have ever held a candle to what BoC does.

you can go on about your bandcamp wannabes all you want. nobody has done it, and nobody will. and even if someone does pull off a replica, it will still suck because it won't be original.

i too have never been fully convinced by any fakes, and i am pretty curious of these AS clips. also i want to emphasize how much of a joke i think it is that anyone should say people are just non chalant pulling off BoC quality because modular synths. lmao

no.
"R-Worded"

Dayvan Cowboy
Damn Colin that shit was on point.

Posts Quantity
ColinWallis wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:

100% agree.

the idea that Boards of Canada's sound is easily copied because analog synthesizers have had a comeback is so insanely stupid i can hardly keep my composure as i type this.

you can go on about your bandcamp wannabes all you want. nobody has done it, and nobody will. and even if someone does pull off a replica, it will still suck because it won't be original.

i too have never been fully convinced by any fakes, and i am pretty curious of these AS clips. also i want to emphasize how much of a joke i think it is that anyone should say people are just non chalant pulling off BoC quality because modular synths. lmao

no.

very well said. such skepticism is just lazy at this point.

Dayvan Cowboy
The only thing that the AS clip lacks is a drum beat. I feel if it had one, we would instantly be able to tell if it was them. Nobody lays down those drums like BOC. Not even Aphex or Autechre. The drums tracks on the best BOC works are brilliant melodies in themselves.

That said, the fact that we are having a debate over the AS clip lends to the quality of it. Like Colin said, most fakes are extremely obvious. And even good ones simply have an aura of "this doesn't feels right" to it.

PS: Even their drumless tracks are wonders. That opening to the Sometimes remix might be one of the most beautiful things I've heard in the last decade. An instant classic right from the beginning.

Boqurant
[/quote]
phpBB [media]
[/quote]

Dang that wtcn i.d. rang my bell! I lived in Minneapolis in the 70’s and 80’s. :shock:
vLG = 627 +- 22 km/s >>> L =276° +- 3: b = 30° +- 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npq_yb-xLmw

Eagle Minded
ColinWallis wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:

100% agree.

no.

I agree. I have found more often than not that getting anything that sounds like BoC requires sampling tape recorded instruments, heavily mangling the source audio and treatment with lfo and warbly effects, whether they be pedals or other means. I have found similar timbres and tones through lots of the above, but again, if I were to try to replicate BoC with them, the difference would be obvious. Using synths and "slowing them down" or adding vibrato does not imo sound like their style. They have a very specific production quality that stands out. I might even produce an example just to give proof of concept.

Again, the fact that it's on AS, whether it's from the brothers or not, proves that it's not "fake Boc" because that would make no sense.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:The only thing that the AS clip lacks is a drum beat. I feel if it had one, we would instantly be able to tell if it was them. Nobody lays down those drums like BOC. Not even Aphex or Autechre. The drums tracks on the best BOC works are brilliant melodies in themselves.

That said, the fact that we are having a debate over the AS clip lends to the quality of it. Like Colin said, most fakes are extremely obvious. And even good ones simply have an aura of "this doesn't feels right" to it.

PS: Even their drumless tracks are wonders. That opening to the Sometimes remix might be one of the most beautiful things I've heard in the last decade. An instant classic right from the beginning.

Good points, tho I gotta say, I think the drum work between BoC, Aphex and Autechre is all brilliant in many different ways! BoC weave together incredibly intricate unique sounds, while Aphex comes up with insanely complex whacky rhythms with sounds that are totally idiosyncratic, and Autechre can make percussion that sounds like alien language lol. I think each artist achieves a wholly unique drum vibe that fits very well with their sounds

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada