GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:
Echelon wrote:The only thing that the AS clip lacks is a drum beat. I feel if it had one, we would instantly be able to tell if it was them. Nobody lays down those drums like BOC. Not even Aphex or Autechre. The drums tracks on the best BOC works are brilliant melodies in themselves.

That said, the fact that we are having a debate over the AS clip lends to the quality of it. Like Colin said, most fakes are extremely obvious. And even good ones simply have an aura of "this doesn't feels right" to it.

PS: Even their drumless tracks are wonders. That opening to the Sometimes remix might be one of the most beautiful things I've heard in the last decade. An instant classic right from the beginning.

Good points, tho I gotta say, I think the drum work between BoC, Aphex and Autechre is all brilliant in many different ways! BoC weave together incredibly intricate unique sounds, while Aphex comes up with insanely complex whacky rhythms with sounds that are totally idiosyncratic, and Autechre can make percussion that sounds like alien language lol. I think each artist achieves a wholly unique drum vibe that fits very well with their sounds

Oh I didn't meant to slag Autechre and Aphex. I simply meant, a BOC drum track is incredibly distinctive, even from those other brilliant artists. Granted, I think Autechre and Aphex have enough talent to emulate a BOC drum track if they wanted, but unlike BOC impersonators, they actually have their own sound and have no need to.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
i totally misinterpreted what i was replying to about BoC copycats and stuff lol. oops.

but screw any ripoff acts / unoriginal, uncreative derivative nonsense either way.

like ReGretta Band Teet: Suckling on the nips of Zeppelin. fuck those idiots.

say what you will about the whole Zeppelin plagiarism controversy but they definitely had their own style and sound regardless of that. those ridiculous hipsters are awful, and i feel the same about people who do nothing but try to emulate Boards of Canada. influence and inspiration are one thing. you can go pretty close, but you must have your own style that is also actually original and good.

like some Aphex moments, and others, sound almost exactly like BoC briefly, but they are so good it just doesnt matter and usually is more coincidental than directly related. - also it's usually only some elements of the music and not the full composition of the track that is "BoCesque" or whatever.

i need a beer
"R-Worded"

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah all I meant was someone making those sounds fifteen years ago, it's either boc or someone copying BoC. Today its either BoC, someone copying BoC or someone making music in the genre that's grown up around that kind of music. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people making that stuff that have never heard of BoC at this point

Whether any of it sounds like them is not my point

Eagle Minded
Yeah, I feel like there is a gross commodification of the sort of feel and """vibe""" BoC were first pulling off with Twoism, Hi Scores and Music has the Right. Now everyone tries to do it. And I'm not saying you can't be influenced by them, I've made some questionably BoC-esque tracks that you can see, plain and simple are just trying to do what they did but putting them in my own context, from my own viewpoint. Hell, I'm even recreating all of Music has the Right right now, just for the fun of it.

But there's a line between respecting and being influenced by BoC, and doing a very shallow and boring imitation of their work which (in my opinion) isn't what some of the best BoC-influenced artists are trying to do.

I don't know wether or not "BoC would compose, or do something like this". I don't know them personally. What if them making something that's a shallow imitation of themselves is just cynicism? Mocking the fact that a part of their aesthetic that they put into so much soul and joy is just being reduced to another one word "-core" or another tag to put on your bandcamp release? Is that what the music is in that [as] video? Or is it just another imitator? Could this be the aura BoC are trying to create with the future of their music?

I don't even know. I am a crazy person and I should get off the internet.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
funnnnpng wrote:I don't know wether or not "BoC would compose, or do something like this". I don't know them personally. What if them making something that's a shallow imitation of themselves is just cynicism? Mocking the fact that a part of their aesthetic that they put into so much soul and joy is just being reduced to another one word "-core" or another tag to put on your bandcamp release? Is that what the music is in that [as] video? Or is it just another imitator? Could this be the aura BoC are trying to create with the future of their music?

I can guarantee one thing about the next BOC release; they will be moving forward in some way or another. They have probably spent the last 7 and a half years trying to bring their sound in a direction that none of the imitators have gone.

And I think they have in some ways. Sometimes has an astral mid-tempo feel to it and the tracks on Societas have the same kind of astral mid tempo feel. There's a kind of a 70s spacy rock feel to a lot of it. Same with the BOC Pioneer's Plaque. A lot of the impersonators are still stuck in the Hi Scores/Music Has The Right era and I think most of them don't even listen to the same kind of music that BOC have growing up since most of them were born in the 80s/90s. Music Has The Right is the music they grew up with and inspired them rather than all this obscure 70s/80s krautrock/post punk

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Oh I didn't meant to slag Autechre and Aphex. I simply meant, a BOC drum track is incredibly distinctive, even from those other brilliant artists. Granted, I think Autechre and Aphex have enough talent to emulate a BOC drum track if they wanted, but unlike BOC impersonators, they actually have their own sound and have no need to.

Ah I seem, my b! I absolutely agree though.

I also agree with the above comments about BoC making music inspired by what they grew up with. I think that's an integral part of their sound, it's their own personal experiences, and it can't be duplicated just by making something that tone-wise sounds like the main melody in ROYGBIV.

I'm getting myself too hyped about new music from them lol, needa chill.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Oh I didn't meant to slag Autechre and Aphex. I simply meant, a BOC drum track is incredibly distinctive, even from those other brilliant artists. Granted, I think Autechre and Aphex have enough talent to emulate a BOC drum track if they wanted, but unlike BOC impersonators, they actually have their own sound and have no need to.

Ah I see, my bad! I absolutely agree though.

I also agree with the above comments about BoC making music inspired by what they grew up with. I think that's an integral part of their sound, it's their own personal experiences, and it can't be duplicated just by making something that tone-wise sounds like the main melody in ROYGBIV.

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:

I second this. It's probably still so far away, but nowadays I always find myself craving new BOC.

Also I think BOC's attempt at a John Carpenter like soundtrack is a good example of them going an opposite direction of all the fakes. That even surprised me when I discovered TH because before that, all I knew them from was Music Has The Right To Children. In fact, TH is leaning more in the direction of the kind of ambient stuff Bowie and Eno did in the Berlin years too and less towards trip hop beats and PSA soundtracks. It was a total left turn from their OG stuff that I know their clones wouldn't suspect they'd do.

After the big vaporwave trend of the 2010s, I have a good feeling we're going to see BOC moving again away from all that shit and embracing their more obscure roots and alternate musical pathways in history. The thing I always get from their art is their genuine folks with a genuine musical story to tell.

Sherbet Head
Agree Colin, but no so vehemently ;)

Always said that while BoC play very simple regarding their content, arrangements etc, the way they process everything and numerous stages and the way it's summed together, you can't replicate that.
It was fun exploring it and proving it right with the Fell thing and granted others could do it much better but there you go.

Thing is though, I don't hear shit from the AS clip, nothing makes it stand out to BE BoC over anyone else but at the same time, it could be, who knows. It think it's a bit mad to attribute it to BoC with so little, a million people could have done that clip, it's not special, does not have that "vibe" it's just a synth in effects. The main question is, if it's so vague, then why is it even a thing? was it merely AS's way of saying "we're in weird times, hang in there" Especially with so much talk about mental health and suicide of late.
You could feel the bullshit

Posts Quantity
Nothing major, but Warp just announced a new release from Lone Lady called Former Things (warp331). Seems like just a few days ago I was saying warp 333 is right around the corner (333 of course being their Twitter likes)!

Posts Quantity
i think my vehement tone is appropriate when speaking of arrogant, and frankly disrespectful little dweebs who are capitalizing on a stolen sound, and have blatantly lied about it publicly, stating "their biggest influence is Aerosmith"..

i think it's kind of disgusting personally.

i get it. to some that sounds like an overstatement, or over dramatic. but not to me.

i like authentic creativity, and honesty, and when people lie about their "art", and manipulate in a dishonest, stealing like fashion..... again, fuck that shit. and i know Zeppelin definitely lifted some shit too, but they didn't rip off another bands sound lol, and they were definitely still pretty amazing whether or not you like it.
"R-Worded"

Eagle Minded
take it easy man... art is basically a collage work anyways... who cares if some people choose to go all the way?

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:Nothing major, but Warp just announced a new release from Lone Lady called Former Things (warp331). Seems like just a few days ago I was saying warp 333 is right around the corner (333 of course being their Twitter likes)!

Oh no... Not more numbers to look forward to. I can't do this again it was too painful last time...

Alright I'm in. They had 123, would Warp really give them 333 too?

Edit: Wait it says that Autechre - Quaristice is warplp333 already. I know Warp jump around a bit with their cat numbers but that's a big leap...
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Dayvan Cowboy
ColinWallis wrote:i think my vehement tone is appropriate when speaking of arrogant, and frankly disrespectful little dweebs who are capitalizing on a stolen sound, and have blatantly lied about it publicly, stating "their biggest influence is Aerosmith"..

i think it's kind of disgusting personally.

i get it. to some that sounds like an overstatement, or over dramatic. but not to me.

i like authentic creativity, and honesty, and when people lie about their "art", and manipulate in a dishonest, stealing like fashion..... again, fuck that shit. and i know Zeppelin definitely lifted some shit too, but they didn't rip off another bands sound lol, and they were definitely still pretty amazing whether or not you like it.

I think Greta Van Fleet suck not because they're rip offs but because they're a terrible band and the lead singer sounds like disco era Barry Gibb trying to sound like Robert Plant.

But I think some bands inspired by other's sounds are good as long as they resynthesize their sound rather than flat-out rip it off. I actually think OG Marillion are a great band and they're heavily based around Genesis and Van Der Graaf Generator, but rather than flat out rip em off, they combined the approach of both bands.

You can even hear some of BOC in early Autechre. Especially Incubula. Lowride is an early Roygbiv to me. Lite Hip-Hop + midi piano + pure bliss.

Boqurant
Frankly, looking at the comments, im not surprised everyone sees similarities in moments of BoC, Autechre and Aphex. They are all Gen Xrs that lived through the late 70s and 80s, prog rock, new wave, birth of electronica, hiphop, house, DnB, acid house, rave, shoegaze, sampling, etc.

notwithstanding they all went different directions, they are the same age, similar cultural referents, so of course you will have little paralells sometimes.

I disagree with all the talk about clones. There is a lot of crap out there, but the history of music is made from respect, collage, and standing on the shoulders of giants. The forum risks sounding like a boomer echo chamber, shouting at clouds.

Sherbet Head
vonS wrote:I disagree with all the talk about clones. There is a lot of crap out there, but the history of music is made from respect, collage, and standing on the shoulders of giants. The forum risks sounding like a boomer echo chamber, shouting at clouds.

Yeah, I think if more people here heard what a real BoC clone sounds like they'd lay off some of the accusations on these randoms who just happen to also like wobbly tape sounds and synthesizers lmao. How many of you remember Little Plastic Pilots? The dude who made that album cited his main influences as Autechre, Brian Eno, Fugazi, & Four Tet and described it as follows:
...it is a reflection of my life, encapsulating my dreams, hopes and memories while giving me a soundtrack to experience from. It is a perfect representation, in musical form, of who I am. (source)

And yet every single song on the album (with the exception of one) is a bargain basement BoC bootleg to the point where you can totally tell which BoC track inspired which LPP track. For example, compare this track to Pete Standing Alone:
phpBB [media]

And just in case it's still not immediately obvious, here's a handy dandy conversion chart:
Spoiler: show
1. Aquarius
2. An Eagle In Your Mind (with an intro that at least doesn't match any MHTRTC tracks)
3. Pete Standing Alone
4. Kaini Industries
5. Rue The Whirl
6. The Color Of The Fire
7. Telephasic Workshop
8. Constants Are Changing (wow, a Campfire Headphase track!)
9. Unknown (possibly a mangled June 9th? in any case it's the most original-sounding track on the album lmao)
10. Smokes Quantity

So yeah, some of the folks around here are probably jumping the gun but at the same time it's not like there are absolutely zero blatant BoC clones out there :P

And going back to the Led Zeppelin/Greta Van Fleet example from earlier, how many of you are aware of the avalanche of zepp-alikes that came out in their wake like Detective?
phpBB [media]
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Eagle Minded
hahahahah i had not heard that one before. Pete sitting alone

Posts Quantity
Biznasty wrote:
writetomhatcher wrote:Nothing major, but Warp just announced a new release from Lone Lady called Former Things (warp331). Seems like just a few days ago I was saying warp 333 is right around the corner (333 of course being their Twitter likes)!

Oh no... Not more numbers to look forward to. I can't do this again it was too painful last time...

Alright I'm in. They had 123, would Warp really give them 333 too?

Edit: Wait it says that Autechre - Quaristice is warplp333 already. I know Warp jump around a bit with their cat numbers but that's a big leap...

Hahaha that’s a good catch there.

Dayvan Cowboy
Haha that Pete Standing Alone track makes me think of when Dee Dee Ramone recorded solo albums with tracks ripping off old classic Ramones tracks down to the title. Stuff like "Now I Wanna Be Sedated."

Only difference is, at least Dee Dee wrote the stuff he was ripping off XD

For some reason this Pete track also reminds me of Linkin Park combined with Boards. Which is not a good combo in my mind :lol:

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Haha that Pete Standing Alone track makes me think of when Dee Dee Ramone recorded solo albums with tracks ripping off old classic Ramones tracks down to the title. Stuff like "Now I Wanna Be Sedated."

Only difference is, at least Dee Dee wrote the stuff he was ripping off XD

For some reason this Pete track also reminds me of Linkin Park combined with Boards. Which is not a good combo in my mind :lol:

phpBB [media]

You mean this? It practically samples An Eagle in Your Mind
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada