GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Vaporized wrote:No offense guys but I don't know how anyone could listen to this. I'm trying here but this is not music. It just sounds like a bunch of weird sounds effects.

Enjoy it but meh. Hard pass.

These were my thoughts at first. It all seemed too random and emotionless. But the more I listened, the more I began to appreciate the sound design, and once I'd crossed that hurdle, something clicked - it eventually became 'music' that I enjoyed.

Exai was the album to do it for me, which in hindsight seems bizarre, as it was likely their least accessible record at the time. 2 hours of fairly abrasive experimental tracks. (Of course since then we've had 4-hour and an 8-hour albums, making Exai a walk in the park by comparison!)

I'd recommend trying again, and maybe you too will have a eureka moment!

Dayvan Cowboy
Fuckin Garbage EP is where it's at.

Sherbet Head
Philistines! Only listened to the first few tracks and already the New Ae is golden.

Granted, if you have not been into them before it can sound fairly unmusical. The more you listen the more you dig in and find value in the details. The catchy melodies are all there, they are just not handed on a platter like the majority of music. You have to dive in and swim around looking for them and you won't find them on the first few dives. It's such a rewarding way to listen to music.
You could feel the bullshit

Posts Quantity
What I get out of Ae is the appreciation for the amount of knowledge these two guys have for their craft and the tools used making it and the forward thinking ways in which they implement them.

The sound design is amazing, the rhythmic theory is astounding, and the compositional ideas are revolutionary.

Consider them more as avant-garde composers in the classical senses perhaps, rather than simply electronic musicians - and you may find a expanded perspective on Ae.

I don’t like Schoenberg or Cage all the time either, but if you listen to and study the twelve tone system of the second viennese school - or the aleatoric music of chance of the 21st century - you’ll be hit with a wealth of knowledge.

Ae is on this plane. Don’t like it all the time, but man when you do - you can walk away with expanded insights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayvan Cowboy
Autechre to me, very often sounds like a futuristic dystopian world where machines and computers control everything. Like a Ghost In The Shell type world but rather than cop-show music and Russian singers, this is what it would actually sound like-binary turned into music.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
why are we talking about this in the speculation thread
chronical wrote:Robots doing robot things

Dayvan Cowboy
Zephyr Method wrote:why are we talking about this in the speculation thread

TBH, it's very hard to speculate when there's nothing concrete for two months now. I think people are just enjoying talented musicians who actually release things.

Besides, Autechre were a big influence on BOC in the early days. Their first album may very well be an inspiration for Music Has The Right To Children. I hear tons of similar and equally genius sounds including the song Lowride which is sort of like Autechre's own Roygbiv.

Posts Quantity
dp wrote:Fuckin Garbage EP is where it's at.

Listening to Garbage right as I read this – it's so goddam good.

New Seed
Beatink updated their page and yes, the mystery record is PLUS.
https://www.beatink.com/user_data/warp2020.php

Dayvan Cowboy
"In an official interview, they said they don't really want to make beat-oriented music for dancing right now, but their cold and isolated feelings can be connected to the sense of blockage that covers the world today."

Autechre today sound like BOC in 2013

Posts Quantity
sillik7 wrote:Beatink updated their page and yes, the mystery record is PLUS.

Well there we have it! It was a bit of a tease for them to wait a day after PLUS came out to update this. Doesn’t mean BOC won’t come out—just not as soon as we hoped.

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:
sillik7 wrote:Beatink updated their page and yes, the mystery record is PLUS.

Well there we have it! It was a bit of a tease for them to wait a day after PLUS came out to update this. Doesn’t mean BOC won’t come out—just not as soon as we hoped.

I think most of us saw it happening this way the last couple days, but it's funny they had the wrong amount of ?'s to spell out Autechre. That said, we still have the banner and Adult Swim.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
Autechre today sound like BOC in 2013

How exaclt?
:?

Posts Quantity
Davism wrote:That said, we still have the banner and Adult Swim.

It seems I missed something, what happened with Adult Swim?

Eagle Minded
They posted a video with a nice little tune, it’s a smiley face with asterisks for eyes, captioned “turn that smile upside down”

When you turn it upside down it looks like an eclipse with snow. Also fits quite align with the Look Sad Reel. There’s an eclipse in December visible in the UK I thinks as well.

Dayvan Cowboy
Navaru wrote:They posted a video with a nice little tune, it’s a smiley face with asterisks for eyes, captioned “turn that smile upside down”

When you turn it upside down it looks like an eclipse with snow. Also fits quite align with the Look Sad Reel. There’s an eclipse in December visible in the UK I thinks as well.

The eclipse is on Dec 14, ten days after the Aphex Twin reissue on Dec 4th. There's nothing planned after that from Warp so maybe an announcement on Dec 14 and a release on Jan 22nd?

We've had so many red herrings though so I'm not banking on it

New Seed
What is the Jan 22 significance? I missed that.

Eagle Minded
MrDimus wrote:What is the Jan 22 significance? I missed that.

Jan 22 was the last day the satellite carrying the Pioneer Plaque sent a transmission, and it just so happens to be the same amount of time between albums as Campfire Headphase/Tomorrows Harvest had. It also falls under Aquarius, an the 747 entered service in 1970 on the same date.

Eagle Minded
If we wanna get real crazy, 22=11+11. 11 11 has some fun with numbers significance as well. It represents a coming awaking of ones self, and that things are starting to align.

Eagle Minded
November 13th is a Friday too, and don’t forgot, the end of Mars’ retrograde (they had posted an IG video on sept 9th, the day it went into retrograde). None of this probably means anything, but self serving puzzles can be a blast

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada