GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
You still have to keep in mind that these are their picks, the music they like to listen to and take inspiration from so they're bound to have familiar ideas people could speculate on. BoC are just as impressionable as anyone, they are not beyond influence themselves.
Until BoC come right out and say "yes, that is us" I would rather appreciate the music I like from that mix as artists I don't know and give unknown entities the kudos they deserve instead of stealing it from them and attributing it to BoC.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
With the recent news /findings sticky thread, it makes absolute sense that the brothers would use the name "Sheol Boundary" as a youtube username. It's a reference to the hebrew bible's interpretation of the boundaries between life and death:

"Sheol represents the boundaries that separate the living from the dead. It is something that marginalizes those it affects, and as such it reflects a dynamic nature of death."

https://oxford.universitypressscholarship.com/view/10.1093/oso/9780190844738.001.0001/oso-9780190844738-chapter-9#:~:text=Sheol%20represents%20the%20boundaries%20that,a%20dynamic%20nature%20of%20death.

I also love the fact that they shortened the og youtube video from 6.07s to 6.06s in their parody video

Eagle Minded
NTFMTS wrote:also shout out to the fact that this is page 808

I cant wait for page 836
Second smallest weird number 8)
yes, i would love to be free!

Boqurant
kakanara wrote:https://bocpages.org/wiki/A_M%C3%BAsica_de_Dan%C3%A7a_%C3%A9_Pregui%C3%A7osa

in the interview i translated mike says that he began making music when he was around 10 with borrowed instruments, he also states that his studio visits happened in 1983 instead of 1984.
weird inconsistencies!

Inconsistencies are more common than you think when it comes to human memory. Not surprised if they got a few dates wrong.

Sherbet Head
NTFMTS wrote:With the recent news /findings sticky thread, it makes absolute sense that the brothers would use the name "Sheol Boundary" as a youtube username. It's a reference to the hebrew bible's interpretation of the boundaries between life and death:

"Sheol represents the boundaries that separate the living from the dead. It is something that marginalizes those it affects, and as such it reflects a dynamic nature of death."

https://oxford.universitypressscholarship.com/view/10.1093/oso/9780190844738.001.0001/oso-9780190844738-chapter-9#:~:text=Sheol%20represents%20the%20boundaries%20that,a%20dynamic%20nature%20of%20death.

I also love the fact that they shortened the og youtube video from 6.07s to 6.06s in their parody video

Thank you for clearing that up. And welcome back!
Suck my BUTT

Friendly Stranger
NTFMTS wrote:With the recent news /findings sticky thread, it makes absolute sense that the brothers would use the name "Sheol Boundary" as a youtube username. It's a reference to the hebrew bible's interpretation of the boundaries between life and death:

That's really interesting, thank you for the info.
That sounds directly like another way of describing Hell Interface.
I recall in another thread someone mentioning that Reach For The Dead is a very literal way of saying Nostalgia, in terms of the origin of the term and I also recall in an interview, it was stated that the track titles should be (words to the effect of) "thought about sideways" - there is probably a lot about Tomorrow's Harvest we've yet to find.

Jacquard Causeway always sounded like another way of saying Silicon Valley to me, but I'll leave my reasoning out because it is more fun that way.

Eagle Minded
bocbocbocboc wrote:
kakanara wrote:https://bocpages.org/wiki/A_M%C3%BAsica_de_Dan%C3%A7a_%C3%A9_Pregui%C3%A7osa

in the interview i translated mike says that he began making music when he was around 10 with borrowed instruments, he also states that his studio visits happened in 1983 instead of 1984.
weird inconsistencies!

Inconsistencies are more common than you think when it comes to human memory. Not surprised if they got a few dates wrong.

i guess you're right. im not old enough to have years blur into eachother yet.

Sherbet Head
darekH wrote:

I recall in another thread someone mentioning that Reach For The Dead is a very literal way of saying Nostalgia, in terms of the origin of the term and I also recall in an interview, it was stated that the track titles should be (words to the effect of) "thought about sideways" - there is probably a lot about Tomorrow's Harvest we've yet to find.

Jacquard Causeway always sounded like another way of saying Silicon Valley to me, but I'll leave my reasoning out because it is more fun that way.

Recently I have been getting into TH a lot as I see it as being overlooked a lot. Jacquard Causeway being one of the track I looked at yesterday I'd still like to hear your reasoning behind that!

btw that tracks acts like a jacquard itself! the pattern is first punched in on the left channel and then delays in the middle until it disappears under all the layers of the other little melodies punched in. And much like a fabric is made, things are passed under and then over and the tracks has this with the filters on the hihats and the bass goes one note higher and then one note lower over and over to make it feel like it is being woven.

But I've never understood the Causeway part of jacquard causeway. as far as the definition of causeway will take me :mrgreen:
Suck my BUTT

Eagle Minded
TheStatPow wrote:
Thank you for clearing that up. And welcome back!

Thank you!

Eagle Minded
darekH wrote:

I forgot about that tidbit about RFTD, fascinating stuff. Yeah they continue to surprise me with how many references they make to all sorts of stuff, with titles, samples and technique. I bet there's a ton more hidden within Tomorrow's Harvest for sure!

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:
darekH wrote:

I forgot about that tidbit about RFTD, fascinating stuff. Yeah they continue to surprise me with how many references they make to all sorts of stuff, with titles, samples and technique. I bet there's a ton more hidden within Tomorrow's Harvest for sure!

S plit your infinities
U ritual
N othing is Real

Sundown

Posts Quantity
Happy Bicycle(ing) Day! :wink:

& a good 4/20 tomorrow!
"R-Worded"

Sherbet Head
I know BoC doesn't do it the same way twice but ... tomorrow is record store day/420. Keep your eyes peeled (and your oranges)
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
darekH wrote:Jacquard Causeway always sounded like another way of saying Silicon Valley to me, but I'll leave my reasoning out because it is more fun that way.

I think Jacquard Causeway is a reference to Jaron Lanier's idea of "ramps" of progress started by a particular inventor or technological development. In "You Are Not A Gadget," which was recommended by Mike Sandison in a TH-era interview, Lanier discusses what he calls the "McLuhan Ramp," which is a proposed path of progress by which humanity would focus on increasing interpersonal connections.

Lanier also talks about the Jacquard loom and how that set off a line of innovations leading to the modern computer age; he also speaks of the increased risk/danger posed by continuing levels of technological advancement.

"Causeway" is basically a synonym for "ramp" in this context, discussing a highway of technological advancement that began with the Jacquard loom. So I highly suspect that's where the title of the song came from.

Friendly Stranger
That's a good interpretation, SD, and although it differs from mine on the 'causeway' as I just interpreted causeway as meaning "path" - that is how I came to the conclusion of Silicon Valley being a potential meaning of the title as (as you stated) the Jacquard loom is considered by most as being the first "computer" and the causeway could indicate the path humanity went down as a result, but "ramp" can be used in place depending on what definition you go by, I agree.

When those ideas are arranged, I went a bit further by ascribing it to meaning Silicon Valley, but that is more of a shot in the dark and you would have to assume that there would be a double (albeit related) meaning to the title.
Checking it out now, causeway refers to an elevated path in modern terminology, or historically just a well-trodden path.
I also like their use of the word 'Causeway' in that title because it hints at how to interpret the Jacquard part and the causation, cause and effect.

But anyway, yep, spot on. I was aware of that book being recommended, but I confess I never read it and it adds extra depth to the meaning.

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter and darekH, I subscribe to both of your interpretations. They both remind me of an Adam Curtis docuseries I watched recently, called "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace." It looks at how some prominent thinkers and inventors thought computers were our way to complete liberation of the individual. But it didn't quite turn out that way. It was a fantastic watch.
PlacentaSand wrote:One time I listened to Geogaddi and i got scared.

Dayvan Cowboy
way expanding in to the valley. from silk to sillicon. the story of globalization

Eagle Minded
Frindia wrote:some strange comments with even stranger channels behind the commenters in the Sheol Boundary discussion tab within the last 12-24 hours. One of them with the name "I'm Sorry Dave I'm Afraid I Can't Do That" which ties to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Idk, just seems worth noting.

That guy commented "Uuh" on multiple Doxa Sinistra videos, weird
yes, i would love to be free!

Eagle Minded
I’ve been on a wormhole for the past week. I’ve noticed Boards of Canadas Twitter account switched the banner from orange to the same as their Facebook banner. Now it displays only the picture of the antennas with blue sky. But if you click the picture you will notice the orange will show for a brief second. If you then google the color oranges decimal code you will get an RgB code of 255, 165, 0 if you add that together you get tomorrow’s date. 1 of several things is happening here.
1. A nod to 420
2. A nod to the date that LSD was first discovered during the most infamous bicycle ride / (Happy Cycling)
3. The 23rd anniversary of MHTRTC which lands on 4/20/21. This also plays on the 23 enigma which was played on heavily during Geogaddi having 23 tracks upon multiple other references.
Any help with this theory or other ties to dates.
It seems like they have been playing a lot with space events as well. For example the pioneer reference on both HellInterface and other social media sites, also by coincidence the 8year mark of Tomorrow’s Harvest lands on a solar eclipse who’s path of totality passes over Canada there are plenty of other coincidences, the turquoise Hexagon on top of Saturn for example. This list keeps going.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada