GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
With all this theorizing about dates, I have to wonder... When have BoC releases coincided with special dates?

The only examples I can think of were the originally announced 6-6-06 date for the Trans Canada Highway release (which didn't end up actually being the release date) and the date the first TH transmission record was discovered- 4/20, Were Day + Record Store Day.

That's pretty much it.

The only thing that possibly points to the Jan. 22 date is the Turn That Smile Upside Down video, with still unidentified music, that appears to suggest an eclipse, Edinburgh being right in the path of totality for an eclipse on that date. That, the Pioneer Plaque banner, and the same date being the last transmission from the Pioneer, are the facts that actually set this date apart as a real possibility.

All these other dates- anniversaries of releases, astrological & astronomical events, etc. really have nothing going for them, because, for all the numerological references on their records, BoC have never seemed particularly concerned with release dates.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:With all this theorizing about dates, I have to wonder... When have BoC releases coincided with special dates?
The only thing that possibly points to the Jan. 22 date is the Turn That Smile Upside Down video, with still unidentified music, that appears to suggest an eclipse, Edinburgh being right in the path of totality for an eclipse on that date.

Where does this come from? There is no eclipse on Jan 22nd....

Eagle Minded
Jan 22 is also the date of the first commercial flight of the 747.

Dayvan Cowboy
niknak wrote:[

Sorry, got the dates a little conflated, the eclipse is on Dec. 14.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/sol ... ecember-14

Could be some kind of announcement on Dec. 14, which would be about right for a release on 1/22, since we're speculating wildly.

Friendly Stranger
SamuraiDrifter wrote:With all this theorizing about dates, I have to wonder... When have BoC releases coincided with special dates?

The only examples I can think of were the originally announced 6-6-06 date for the Trans Canada Highway release (which didn't end up actually being the release date) and the date the first TH transmission record was discovered- 4/20, Were Day + Record Store Day.

That's pretty much it.

The only thing that possibly points to the Jan. 22 date is the Turn That Smile Upside Down video, with still unidentified music, that appears to suggest an eclipse, Edinburgh being right in the path of totality for an eclipse on that date. That, the Pioneer Plaque banner, and the same date being the last transmission from the Pioneer, are the facts that actually set this date apart as a real possibility.

All these other dates- anniversaries of releases, astrological & astronomical events, etc. really have nothing going for them, because, for all the numerological references on their records, BoC have never seemed particularly concerned with release dates.

Exactly this, for like the last 200 pages.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

Could be some kind of announcement on Dec. 14, which would be about right for a release on 1/22, since we're speculating wildly.

They really haven't announced anything big so that gives a window for BOC too.

Though I really wouldn't bank on that since they can announce anything they want, whenever they want. Last time however, Squarepusher was announced in Dec and he was released in late Jan so it's possible they might want to do that release window again with a big artist.

Though who knows really, this thread should be retitled "Grasping at straws" lol
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

Why would they announce something on Dec 14th because of an eclipse in South America? Why would they care about an eclipse at all? This thread is absolute wacko.

Sherbet Head
[mixcloud][/mixcloud]
chemical_si wrote:

That's pretty much it.

Exactly this, for like the last 200 pages.

Yep.

Dayvan Cowboy
niknak wrote:
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

Why would they announce something on Dec 14th because of an eclipse in South America? Why would they care about an eclipse at all? This thread is absolute wacko.

Because the upside down smile looked like an eclipse and snowflakes (winter eclipse) in the unverified adult swim video with BOC sounding music....ok I'll stop :lol:

"They can never get that close
Guesses at most

Guesses based on what each set
Of time and change is touching"

Dayvan Cowboy
niknak wrote:Why would they announce something on Dec 14th because of an eclipse in South America? Why would they care about an eclipse at all? This thread is absolute wacko.

The whole eclipse theory was based on the "Turn That Smile Upside Down" video, which appeared to show an eclipse and has unidentified music that really sounds a lot like BoC.

If the eclipse were like, in Scotland or something, it'd be a fairly reasonable theory I think. But it's in South America, so... Yeah.

For the most part though, BoC have never engaged in numerological shenanigans with release dates.

Dayvan Cowboy
If you think THIS is wacko, you should go back a couple hundred pages and read Opothecary analyzing timestamps on BoC's Twitter likes to the second and mapping them out in flowcharts.

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:If you think THIS is wacko, you should go back a couple hundred pages and read Opothecary analyzing timestamps on BoC's Twitter likes to the second and mapping them out in flowcharts.

I really, really doubt that insta post has anything to do with BoC. And Opothecary was a true mad man, I guess he was just a troll though? According to some of the forum members that is.
no information at this moment in time

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't think Opothecary was a troll. I think he really believed what he was posting, and eventually stopped after every one of his predictions failed, like a doomsday preacher who keeps moving back their date for the apocalypse.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think he did the "JK I was trolling" excuse to someone, but I really think he was a mega-fan. No troll would pour in vast amounts of effort for people just to casually brush it off. Nothing wrong with being a mega-fan as long as you aren't hurting anyone or it's impacting your own health.

That said, it's pretty hilarious that BOC attracted their own doomsday preacher in the wake of an album all about that.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:If you think THIS is wacko, you should go back a couple hundred pages and read Opothecary analyzing timestamps on BoC's Twitter likes to the second and mapping them out in flowcharts.

Oh yeah, i followed it. Quite amusing in its way, but obviously a troll or someone with too much time on their hands.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
niknak wrote:Why would they announce something on Dec 14th because of an eclipse in South America? Why would they care about an eclipse at all? This thread is absolute wacko.

The whole eclipse theory was based on the "Turn That Smile Upside Down" video, which appeared to show an eclipse and has unidentified music that really sounds a lot like BoC.

If the eclipse were like, in Scotland or something, it'd be a fairly reasonable theory I think. But it's in South America, so... Yeah.

For the most part though, BoC have never engaged in numerological shenanigans with release dates.

It does sound vaguely like them, in the same way it could sound like a snippet of music from any one of a thousand electronic artists, or a BoC fake from 15 years ago, which is the major reason to believe it isn't them. Anyone who goes from this to an eclipse needs to wise up.

Eagle Minded
You’re wave of negativity is lame lol, eventually an album will drop, no sense shaming everyone here for trying to find some light in these times. I’m glad you weren’t around a few months ago for Catherine, you would have been enraged. Check out watmm, they dislike speculation over there too, might be more your niche.

Posts Quantity
Im with niknak on this one. Some healthy speculation is fine, but 99% of these ‘theories’ is just really grasping straws.
Disputing them is not a ‘wave of negativity’ either, it’s just disagreeing with the umpteenth far-fetched fabrication people come up with on here all time.
Telling people who don’t play along to piss off to other forums is actually pretty lame too, buddy.

Eagle Minded
Cyclosa wrote:Im with niknak on this one. Some healthy speculation is fine, but 99% of these ‘theories’ on here is just really grasping straws.
Telling people who don’t play along to piss off to other forums is pretty lame too, buddy

yea agreed... obviously this forum is for speculations but you can’t get mad when people disagree. it seems there’s been a lot of this “you can’t tell me i’m wrong on here!!” lately. and this coming from a person who is usually doing the grasping of the straws.
no information at this moment in time

Sherbet Head
this thread is starting to sound like a family trapped inside together for 9 months due to a pandemic.... oh wait

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada