GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:Does anyone know if Boulton has posted anything further on the matter on the FB page?

Will have a look in a second. I think there was a follow-up message.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:The whole "Tomorrow's Harvest predicted Trump" thing is a bit too much for me.

2013 (or earlier, depending on how long it took them to develop the "story" of the album) was pretty dark in it's own right - the later developments were just a natural extension of all that.

They didn't predict Trump, et al - they tapped into the rising tensions that were LEADING to all of that shite.

If they used the global disposition now....Geogaddi (for example) will look like a collection of bedtime stories we play for our children about "the good ol' days" :shock:
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Dayvan Cowboy
Trump is likely almost the same as Hillary would have been.
They start out pretending to be different, maybe passing a few bills of little consequence to pander to their original voters, gradually as the term goes on they begin to serve the same purpose and show themselves to be beholden to the same interests as any candidate from any side would have been, or would have been manipulated into being by hook or by crook if they genuinely were an "outsider". Nothing has actually truly changed under Trump, just the illusion of it. People in positions of influence deliberately created and fueled the fire of the "Alt-Right" vs. the "SJW" and they are two sides of the same coin. The only purpose was a giant political distraction, a circus to get everyone full of anger and fear towards the scarecrow on the other side.

The real situation has been bubbling away underneath the surface for decades.
BoC did mention the Arab spring in an interview relating to TH once. Certainly, American interventionism probably has a lot to do with it as well as the nature and usage of technology, erosion of personal rights, gradual poisoning, propaganda, illusions etc.

That is just my opinion, though. I am open to other theories.

Dayvan Cowboy
...but I do have to say again that I was brainwashed by that political circus and took a side. I am not claiming to be less impressionable than anyone else and I can only apologise for my words and my tendency towards becoming too personally attached to plastic opinions during that time. It feels nice to take a step back again and breathe in some cleaner air.

Friendly Stranger
Valotonin wrote:
drhumr wrote:
Valotonin wrote:My only rule is that after release, if anyone claims that the album has "Brexit Vibes" I am leaving.

As in leaving the EU?

Haha no, just refusing to talk any further about it.
The whole "Tomorrow's Harvest predicted Trump" thing is a bit too much for me.

I think BoC are more subtle than writing music on particular sides of the constant political puppet show. I think they know that all of this is just a distraction from the reality of the underlying situation.

Edit: And I have to add that I was briefly brainwashed to take a side in said political puppet show, I am not proud of it.

Good point. My guess is, if anything, they care about more about actual issues, such as the impending environmental crisis, that are unfortunately overshadowed by the political BS.

Eagle Minded
Mozart wrote:4) He is correct that "something new is coming" but we find that it isn't new music. It could be something as trivial as a new interview coming out, technically that would be something "new."

Was kinda thinking this too. Didn't one of their old websites have some odd statement saying that they were supposed to be filming something this year? I can't remember where this was discussed on the forum but I think it was mentioned that the project was a "prequel" or something. Probably them just fucking around (since it was posted in the 90's/early 2000's) but you never know I suppose

Eagle Minded
Nottoolate wrote:
Mozart wrote:4) He is correct that "something new is coming" but we find that it isn't new music. It could be something as trivial as a new interview coming out, technically that would be something "new."

Was kinda thinking this too. Didn't one of their old websites have some odd statement saying that they were supposed to be filming something this year? I can't remember where this was discussed on the forum but I think it was mentioned that the project was a "prequel" or something. Probably them just fucking around (since it was posted in the 90's/early 2000's) but you never know I suppose

Found it, if anyone was wondering: https://web.archive.org/web/19981206110 ... canada.htm

Dayvan Cowboy
Nottoolate wrote:
Nottoolate wrote:Was kinda thinking this too. Didn't one of their old websites have some odd statement saying that they were supposed to be filming something this year? I can't remember where this was discussed on the forum but I think it was mentioned that the project was a "prequel" or something. Probably them just fucking around (since it was posted in the 90's/early 2000's) but you never know I suppose

Found it, if anyone was wondering: https://web.archive.org/web/19981206110 ... canada.htm

Ah I remember this, not the original as that is before my time but I remember the archive being circulated a few years ago.
It says quite a lot of other things in obvious jest and we didn't get the 1998 film which should be an indicator that "prequels" aren't to be filmed. Its quite amusing, though. Maybe they will actually do something now that the original 'unrealistically far into the future' date has been met.

Eagle Minded
I've always had this strange hunch that they would eventually try their hand at a short film, or simply supply music for a documentary or something akin to that. Preferably they would try and recreate a National Boards of Canada film centered around nature (wildlife analysis lol), that would be heavenly. Since they operate in the shadows, it's almost impossible to predict their next moves, though.

Posts Quantity
Would be cool if they were to include any those films as a bonus CD in a limited edition for a new album or EP.
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Eagle Minded
Oh yeah that would be the dream!

I also remember a quote something along the lines of "if we wanted to we could release some albums with solely interludes; that's how many we have of them just sitting around." Man, would that ever be a dream of mine. I see why it would make zero sense and it will likely never happen, but its just one of those things I like to think about, like winning the lottery, lol. Their interludes have always been extremely moving.

Posts Quantity
A big special box that comes with their unreleased albums, 1 hour of interludes and their movies in VHS tapes, I wouldn't mind having any of these :mrgreen:
As you said, their short tracks are something else, I don't think there is any other artist that managed to achieve this with me, whenever I'm listening to MHTRTC or Geogaddi I'm always waiting in anticipation for Olson, Over The Horizon Radar, A Is To B As B Is To C, etc to come.
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:I've always had this strange hunch that they would eventually try their hand at a short film, or simply supply music for a documentary or something akin to that. Preferably they would try and recreate a National Boards of Canada film centered around nature (wildlife analysis lol), that would be heavenly. Since they operate in the shadows, it's almost impossible to predict their next moves, though.

I certainly think you are right in that respect, their roots lie in 8mm films they created whilst exploring their surroundings and making musical accompaniments to them. Really beautiful, actually. I wonder if they ever got into splicing and pasting these films to show different times of year and different scenery/atmospheres that they would reflect in their music.

Anyway, I have always had an underlying feeling that they have involved themselves in film and audio projects that we aren't aware of but are nevertheless available to the public; choosing to contribute to them but remaining nameless. That is just a hunch, though.

I think the chances that a future audiovisual project as opposed to strictly aural are about 50/50.

Sherbet Head
Interesting thing I've noticed today on reddit.

I was on a thread on r/boardsofcanada and this guy said "I drink coffee with one of them nearly everyday, your patience may well be rewarded."

Now, it sounds dumb just like that and just fake and not a possibility until you look up the guy.

Username is Andyla1ng. On google I stumbled upon the name "Andrew Laing" Makes sense and matches the username.

Googling that name in scotland gave me a guy who performed on a Barista competition! He Lives currently in Edinburgh and is heavily into coffee stuff.

So its not too far fetched that this guy might be telling the truth and IS actually enjoying a nice coffee with them since he's one of the best at his thing in scotland.

Sources:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... ?context=3

His LinkedIn:

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andrew-laing-501365144

"Customer service and Retail
The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland
mars 2017 – juillet 2017 5 months
Edinburgh, United Kingdom"

"Barista and cafe assistant
Sainsbury's
juin 2013 – février 2016 2 ans 9 months
Stirling"
Suck my BUTT

Nova Scotia Robot
I'm pretty sure the comment on a prequel film was just a joking jab at Star Wars.

That said, I'd love to see a BoC film.

Sherbet Head
Stalk bait

Eagle Minded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prMXL3MclAs

This is pretty old, and has probably been posted before, but just wondering if we had any info on this!
no information at this moment in time

Dayvan Cowboy
Roswell wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prMXL3MclAs

This is pretty old, and has probably been posted before, but just wondering if we had any info on this!

I think they first surfaced in 2014-15? Believed to be fakes bearing the same titles as tracks from Acid Memories/ early releases that we haven't had the chance to hear.

If anything gives it away, it is the fact it is too clean. If someone had sent this through a couple of generations of cassette, it might have been believable.

Sherbet Head
I used to think it was fake.. Until that Scottish music award thing, apparently the close encounters sample from that tune was played over speakers outside the event while people were queuing to get in, iirc.
plus they also used close encounters type stuff for the TH arg

Friendly Stranger
luminousdusk wrote:apparently the close encounters sample from that tune was played over speakers outside the event while people were queuing to get in

Which part of that is from close encounters?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada