GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Brendan Standing Alone wrote:What was the deepfake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14811

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:What was the deepfake?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14811
Ty

I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Sherbet Head
One thing I'm especially interested in as far as the next release is whether or not their stance on computers as being "too clean and perfect sounding" has changed at all, especially now that we've got all these crazy new AI tools to make all kinds of insane twisted & damaged sounds that computers just wouldn't have been able to create before. For example:
phpBB [media]

We know that they've at least embraced this new AI revolution to some degree since they posted that Wombo video of the melty-faced guy, I'm curious to see how much of it will factor into the music. Hell, Marcus even studied AI over 20 years before all this stuff came out!

I could totally see them doing something like playing an entire brand new track only to cut it off partway and get an AI to finish it, then sample the AI-generated track in an entirely separate brand new track while the original stems are left in the vault for another few decades lmao
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Posts Quantity
Did they ever open up in an interview or elsewhere about how they created TC? From what I remember (and obviously from how it sounds), they deviated from their traditional process, departing from the way they produced their earlier LPs. Or, maybe I’m making shit up?

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:We know that they've at least embraced this new AI revolution to some degree since they posted that Wombo video of the melty-faced guy, I'm curious to see how much of it will factor into the music. Hell, Marcus even studied AI over 20 years before all this stuff came out!

I could totally see them doing something like playing an entire brand new track only to cut it off partway and get an AI to finish it, then sample the AI-generated track in an entirely separate brand new track while the original stems are left in the vault for another few decades lmao
Sounds plausible, but also creatively limiting if they were to heavily incorporate the technique. Seems more like a James Ferraro type move to me.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote: That sounds accurate :)
phpBB [media]

You can hear some of that Spyro "flair" in some of the Police songs he wrote like "Reggatta de Blanc"(co-wrote), "It's Alright for You", and "Bombs Away". He's my favorite drummer :D .

He sounds so effortless at drumming. I highly doubt there are many western drummers these days that could play the moonwalking rhythm to Walking on The Moon

Add him to the endless list of artists I wish BOC would collab with. ;)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Friendly Stranger

Eagle Minded
Biznasty wrote:- They uploaded the deepfake when the finished the album and sent it to Warp (April 2021)

- They stopped liking tweets about new music once the release date was actually set and the album was put in the warp schedule. Marketing is now in Warp's hands. (June 2022)

Would Warp really sit on a new Boards of Canada album for 14 months? Surely they'd wanna get it out ASAP, especially with how dry the supply's been.

Sherbet Head wrote:
Biznasty wrote:- They uploaded the deepfake when the finished the album and sent it to Warp (April 2021)

- They stopped liking tweets about new music once the release date was actually set and the album was put in the warp schedule. Marketing is now in Warp's hands. (June 2022)

Would Warp really sit on a new Boards of Canada album for 14 months? Surely they'd wanna get it out ASAP, especially with how dry the supply's been.

It takes several months between when artist delivers the finished WAV files and when it’s available in retail stores. Have you seen the Syro album cover by Aphex Twin? The artwork features a detailed list of its production and promotional costs. I reckon there’s a lot of things we have no clue about that have to be done. A lot of dependencies. Takes time. Especially these times.

Eagle Minded
OK, so when will be the latest date where we've run out of these theoretical excuses? June of 2023?

Posts Quantity
Davism wrote:OK, so when will be the latest date where we've run out of these theoretical excuses? June of 2023?
I’ll give it a 2-year window. A “magic” window.

(I’ll see my way out.)

Posts Quantity
lol i love how the soundtrack to Spyro came up in here.

that music always stayed in my mind. such a great videogame!
"R-Worded"

Posts Quantity
ColinWallis wrote:lol i love how the soundtrack to Spyro came up in here.

Wait, we talking Spyro or Syro?

Dayvan Cowboy
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:
ColinWallis wrote:lol i love how the soundtrack to Spyro came up in here.

Wait, we talking Spyro or Syro?
Yes.

Conspiracy theory: Both Richard and Micus' release schedules have been dictated in the Death Note.
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
Davism wrote:OK, so when will be the latest date where we've run out of these theoretical excuses? June of 2023?

I think the wait will turn into a bigger parody than it already is if nothing happens next year. It'll be Boc Nukem 5never ;)

By 2024, if nothing happens, this thread will be nothing but memes
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:

I think the wait will turn into a bigger parody than it already is if nothing happens next year. It'll be Boc Nukem 5never ;)

Half Life 3 in 2023...

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
Given that we're dealing with two obscure dudes from across the pond that have a penchant for sampling, I think we're looking at a "Limboards of the Canadost".

Holy Eris, I just realized TCH is older than that game. I started high school before that game came out! WTF that feels wrong for some reason :|

ryetronics wrote:
Echelon wrote:

Half Life 3 in 2023...

What if Valve can’t release HL3 yet because they’re waiting on BoC to finish the OST.

Dayvan Cowboy
Theory: They have engraved the next release on the metallic surface of asteroid 16Psyche which will be revealed when the NASA Psyche mission reaches it's destination in 2030, of course the data engraved in DVD fashion with DRM encrypted using advanced Twosfish-Serpent ciphers, the key to which has yet to be revealed but has been rumoured to have been cast by the RT-70 radio-telescope in Yevpatoria, Ukraine in 1999 (Cosmic Call 1) and 2003 (Cosmic Call 2) to various nearby stars.

Of course due to time dilation and other relativistic effects like frame dragging and interstellar dust, the crypto key might have been garbled beyond recognition and will be unusable, leaving us with a transmission not worth a slug's turd.

As the movie said... what if this is as good as it gets?
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:I think the wait will turn into a bigger parody than it already is if nothing happens next year. It'll be Boc Nukem 5never ;)

I'll be long gone from this thread by that point. :wink:

In 2024 if the results are the same, I want to see (as an social experiment) what would happen if this topic was locked for a whole week. Users having to fulfill their twoism life elsewhere just for that time period. I do think the results would be interesting. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada