GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
CAN EVERYONE STOP HAVING FUN PLEASE THANKS

Boqurant
I HATE FUN AAARGH. So whats the next big date?

Eagle Minded
What’s the most unassuming date we can come up with?

Eagle Minded
Vaporized wrote:Guys -

There is nothing happening today. There was never going to be anything that happens today. All your theories are all fun to follow but anything can be made into anything. The guys and their management and label I'm sure have a plan and no amount of sleuthing will uncover nor decode when something will get announced or released. What if there is no new music or record? What if all they have been doing is working their real jobs, being parents, and just dabbling with a few remixes? What if they are doing scores for movies or shows on netflix under another name and what if it sounds NOTHING like any of their work as BOC? Maybe the silence is something as simple as that. What if they have some tracks they like and they are still piecing things together to create a record? Maybe that's another year or two off? Maybe one day we go online and their socials have a new record posted for download and it's up to stream and a preorder for physicals? You know, just like that. Out of the blue. No fancy marketing to back it. Just, here it is. Come get it.

Go back to living and enjoying what you can in our current lives. If/When a new record comes, great. We can all be here to celebrate and pick it to pieces.

I come here once a month to see what people are talking about or looking for any new music but seeing all these weird theories you guys scrape together is weird and creepy. If I were BOC and if I saw this stuff, I'd make you wait even longer. :)

I wasn't going to reply to this because I really didn't want to give this attitude any attention, but I was probably one of the more hyped people during this entire thing so maybe I should say something.

It shouldn't be pointed out again but, this is a place called "GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC" and as such people are encouraged to speculate here, also, this was not one of your typical hoaxes, heck, this wasn't even a hoax, all the signs people had collected had pointed to this date so I see no reason to get upset at others for speculation, this was not another Catherine Fell stunt.

Saying "There was never going to be anything that happens today." is absolute conjecture, you DID NOT know nothing was going to happen today, you speculated like the rest of us that nothing would happen today, and you where right. If something was announced today then you'd be wrong. This is not a battle, if you got your hopes up then you need to be in control of your own emotions and not blame others for speculating.

"Anything can be made into anything", true, but looking at the pioneer plaque upload and finding a date in relation to that upload is decently grounded speculation, it's not like we calculated the amount of likes they made on twitter and divided them by the amount of comments they made on instagram, then multiplied them by the amount of stars in the sky...... no, we took a recent upload from BoC, targeting a very specific subject, the Pioneer Plaque, and found 1 of just a few dates corresponding to that image, it was quite a simple observation.

Also, all your "what if" questions are just that, however a good chunk of us here believe BoC love making music, they might not love sharing that music with the world, but they love making it and I'm sure they will present their music after spending years working on a project, BoC clearly take themselves for perfectionists, it's not suprising they take as long as they do to make albums, anyone with a family life and jobs can definetely STILL make and release music, especially if it's something they love doing.

"Go back to living and enjoying what you can in our current lives"
I never stopped.
Last edited by demo on Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy

There is nothing happening today. There was never going to be anything that happens today. All your theories are all fun to follow but anything can be made into anything. The guys and their management and label I'm sure have a plan and no amount of sleuthing will uncover nor decode when something will get announced or released. What if there is no new music or record? What if all they have been doing is working their real jobs, being parents, and just dabbling with a few remixes? What if they are doing scores for movies or shows on netflix under another name and what if it sounds NOTHING like any of their work as BOC? Maybe the silence is something as simple as that. What if they have some tracks they like and they are still piecing things together to create a record? Maybe that's another year or two off? Maybe one day we go online and their socials have a new record posted for download and it's up to stream and a preorder for physicals? You know, just like that. Out of the blue. No fancy marketing to back it. Just, here it is. Come get it.

Go back to living and enjoying what you can in our current lives. If/When a new record comes, great. We can all be here to celebrate and pick it to pieces.

I come here once a month to see what people are talking about or looking for any new music but seeing all these weird theories you guys scrape together is weird and creepy. If I were BOC and if I saw this stuff, I'd make you wait even longer. :)

Exactly, we will soon come up with next date, to make boc wait on their music just a little longer :!:

Eagle Minded
arvy wrote:

Exactly, we will soon come up with next date, to make boc wait on their music just a little longer :!:

March 2nd

Sorry to all those disappointed today. Welcome to BOC fandom. If you're new to this and feeling down or pissed off, or cynical - been there, done that. It makes it all the sweeter when something genuinely happens down the line. Let's all get along and try not to get too snarky or smart (I can be guilty of this myself sometimes).

Now. Sun's shining. I have a pot of tea on the brew and in 40 mins my working week ends and I see my daughter. ie. The world keeps turning. Keep smiling folks.

We love you all.

Slow down...

What if there is no new music or record? What if all they have been doing is working their real jobs, being parents, and just dabbling with a few remixes? What if they are doing scores for movies or shows on netflix under another name and what if it sounds NOTHING like any of their work as BOC? Maybe the silence is something as simple as that. What if they have some tracks they like and they are still piecing things together to create a record? Maybe that's another year or two off?

This falls in line with Occam's Razor. In short: the more assumptions you have to make the more unlikely an explanation. Deep inside I also hoped something would happen today after reading all the pretty convincing observations, but alas nothing came of it. Too many assumptions most likely.

But I'm pretty positive something will come eventually. Lately there has in fact been more social media activity (bandcamp, official instagram, Hell Interface Youtube banner update). They are still under contract for two more albums at Warp. They're not dead, yet. One very important thought.

Happy Cycler
It's just another day in BoCadise.

Boqurant
darekH wrote:
frankixus wrote:
https://imgur.com/a/su0gbJZ

Here you go xx

That is thrice as many as I was expecting so thank you very very much :mrgreen:

I know this is likely moot, but for anyone who wanted to see Neil Krug's post as opposed to the stills, you can find a video of it here:
https://imgur.com/a/o15jJhL

Happy Cycler
Knifeyspooney wrote:
darekH wrote:
frankixus wrote:
https://imgur.com/a/su0gbJZ

Here you go xx

That is thrice as many as I was expecting so thank you very very much :mrgreen:

I know this is likely moot, but for anyone who wanted to see Neil Krug's post as opposed to the stills, you can find a video of it here:
https://imgur.com/a/o15jJhL

I have no idea what any of this is about, but that Charlie Rouse album is badass!

Boqurant
They are still under contract for two more albums at Warp

Is there a source on this? I've heard this idea being thrown around a lot, most often people say they have only 1 album left. I'd love to know if this is confirmed or not.

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:It's just another day in BoCadise.

We all spend most our lives living in a BOCster's paradise
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
To be fair the theories are really entertaining.

This reminds me of BoC fans

https://youtu.be/Ka9mfZbTFbk

Dayvan Cowboy
But seriously, the theories are really fun. It's sort of a community activity because unlike other artists, we're constantly in the dark and have to try to speculate when the sun will shine on the BOC community again.

As I've said before, I burned out on BOC's albums a long time ago, but the speculation game and the hope of hearing fresh new BOC material, keep me in the game for the long run!
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Good things come to those that wait :) There was a time when I thought there wouldn't be another album from Boards Of Canada. But now i'm more convinced than ever that they'll find a suitable way to end their project. I reckon they'll be a UK tour one day.

Dayvan Cowboy
I never really suspected anything was going to happen today, since as I've mentioned a few times, BoC make tongue-in-cheek references to numerology in their music, but as far as I can tell it's never actually related to an album release (The only sort-of exception is Trans Canada Highway, which was originally announced for 6/6/06 but ended up getting released early anyway.) That's it. None of the other thousand dates picked out based on astronomical events, palindromes, timestamps of their social media posts, etc. have resulted in anything.

That said, I think the suggestion that they're done with music and "off working their real jobs" is way off-base. I'm sure they're not rich, but they certainly make enough from streaming, royalties, record sales, and merch to live on. They said in TH-era interviews that they're always working on music, that they have no intention of stopping, and that TH was "just a continuation." Their online presence has also increased over the last year or so, which also happened prior to the TH release.

Basically, there's no reason to think we'll be able to predict when they'll be back, but every reason to believe they will be back.

Boqurant
I often think about the fact that they almost definitely are releasing music totally different from BoC under a different moniker. It makes a lot of sense to me, especially given the amount of radio silence from them in conjunction with the implication that they're always making music. The BoC stuff is cool, but it is certainly just one corner of the music I'm sure they're interested in.

Dayvan Cowboy
NorthernPlastics wrote:I often think about the fact that they almost definitely are releasing music totally different from BoC under a different moniker. It makes a lot of sense to me, especially given the amount of radio silence from them in conjunction with the implication that they're always making music. The BoC stuff is cool, but it is certainly just one corner of the music I'm sure they're interested in.

I've thought about that a lot too. We know they do production work for other artists occasionally (for example The Sexual Objects) and they've mentioned in interviews they've made plenty of music that would not fit on a BoC record.

They also liked a tweet at one point saying something along the lines of "who else thinks new BoC is already out there and just hasn't been decoded yet?"

Unfortunately, I think if that's true, then there's basically no way for us to track those side projects down.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
NorthernPlastics wrote:I often think about the fact that they almost definitely are releasing music totally different from BoC under a different moniker. It makes a lot of sense to me, especially given the amount of radio silence from them in conjunction with the implication that they're always making music. The BoC stuff is cool, but it is certainly just one corner of the music I'm sure they're interested in.

I've thought about that a lot too. We know they do production work for other artists occasionally (for example The Sexual Objects) and they've mentioned in interviews they've made plenty of music that would not fit on a BoC record.

They also liked a tweet at one point saying something along the lines of "who else thinks new BoC is already out there and just hasn't been decoded yet?"

Unfortunately, I think if that's true, then there's basically no way for us to track those side projects down.

i swear i remember reading a quote from one of them saying something like "maybe there are things already out there, waiting to be found..."

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada