GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
I think the new album might be more synth based, less apocalyptic but still uncanny and bittersweet. The drums will be a bit slower, a bit funkier, and distorted. Something out of MHTRTC. However, with that, there's going to be a hint of the fear you had as a kid of nuclear war in it. Essentially the feeling of the album would be the whole thing of accepting the inevitable. Like ATP-02, where it has hints of MHTRTC, but also hints of Geogaddi.
Fly!

Dayvan Cowboy
Talking to a friend, I've come to realize what "Treat Em Right" was-- a small oasis for our long trek through the IDM desert to our next destination. Another chance for us to refuel for the next part of the journey.

Desert analogies aside, it was a way to remind us that things are continuing on. It won't be this year, but you never know, it could possibly be the next.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
Didn't they say they would be doing something like Geogaddi in 2022?
Fly!

Dayvan Cowboy
sandrail wrote:Didn't they say they would be doing something like Geogaddi in 2022?

I've not heard that before or read it in any interviews.

Dayvan Cowboy
sandrail wrote:Didn't they say they would be doing something like Geogaddi in 2022?

If you can find the source for that, I'd be very happy.

Dayvan Cowboy
2020 release speculation date fas wun around 2017. The whole idea one album per decade. 2022-02-22 was nicely fit in win Geogadi anniversary. I honestly don't know. I think they should skip it and drop new music on a random day. Tho, I would prefer an early spring date, it is just the spring weather which fills my brain with endorphins. Tho, I'm talking about northern hemisphere. Sending love to my Australia friends.

On a serious note, if they have a finished work, release it already and that's all. Absolutely no any drama. Just strict business. Dollar for music.

Sherbet Head

Dayvan Cowboy
northernlite wrote:888

So you're saying we have another 200 years ahead of us?
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
Regardless friends, look at the bright side. At least we're not in 2014. Imagine being a BOC fan at that time: "Surely their next release is right around the corner" XD

Though it is a shame they never continued on after their comeback album like Richard did with some interesting EPs. A big "what-if" for the 2010s.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Though it is a shame they never continued on after their comeback album like Richard did with some interesting EPs. A big "what-if" for the 2010s.

a boc soundcloud dump. just imagine
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Regardless friends, look at the bright side. At least we're not in 2014. Imagine being a BOC fan at that time: "Surely their next release is right around the corner" XD

Though it is a shame they never continued on after their comeback album like Richard did with some interesting EPs. A big "what-if" for the 2010s.

We were expecting an ep around 2014, coming on Aug-22. Didnt hurt much, cause TH was still fresh and it was so much excitment to speculate what and when they release next.

Now it is different thing, now if you say go speculate more, I would say ger out of here. The problem with BOC is that their music is so sparse, you just listen to the same hundred of times. It is gold of course, just a little insane. Thats why it is vital they do something with their back catalogue when they release new music.

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:Now it is different thing, now if you say go speculate more, I would say ger out of here. The problem with BOC is that their music is so sparse, you just listen to the same hundred of times. It is gold of course, just a little insane. Thats why it is vital they do something with their back catalogue when they release new music.

Hit the nail on the head, does anyone remember when pitchfork put out that article "don’t get too excited about a new boards of canada album just yet" in late 2012, how ironic that less than a year later TH came out.
My question is, what’s BoC’s press appeal? Basically, could you see pitchfork (or any music website) writing that now?

There just isn’t enough publicised hype for a new album, apart from you good people on twoism & reddit.

Some options for the million pound question. phone a friend anyone?

A: Press release from warp telling us will not be a new BoC album (I stress this is unlikely)
OR
B: Our theories are correct about the production lag, and 2022 is looking more likely...for something<———— hoping it’s that one :D

Just to say, I’m not as skeptical about a new BoC as that makes out! :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:We were expecting an ep around 2014, coming on Aug-22. Didnt hurt much, cause TH was still fresh and it was so much excitment to speculate what and when they release next.

Now it is different thing, now if you say go speculate more, I would say ger out of here. The problem with BOC is that their music is so sparse, you just listen to the same hundred of times. It is gold of course, just a little insane. Thats why it is vital they do something with their back catalogue when they release new music.

Back in 2014 I wasn't expecting anything in the next year or even any time remotely soon. There was the whole "Harvest Ritual" thing, which we theorized might be the Trans Canada Highway of TH, but the 822 in the TH album art photos was never supposed to be a date. It was a Bible verse.

Genesis 8:22- "As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night shall not cease."

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
arvy wrote:Now it is different thing, now if you say go speculate more, I would say ger out of here. The problem with BOC is that their music is so sparse, you just listen to the same hundred of times. It is gold of course, just a little insane. Thats why it is vital they do something with their back catalogue when they release new music.

Hit the nail on the head, does anyone remember when pitchfork put out that article "don’t get too excited about a new boards of canada album just yet" in late 2012, how ironic that less than a year later TH came out.
My question is, what’s BoC’s press appeal? Basically, could you see pitchfork (or any music website) writing that now?

There just isn’t enough publicised hype for a new album, apart from you good people on twoism & reddit.

Some options for the million pound question. phone a friend anyone?

A: Press release from warp telling us will not be a new BoC album (I stress this is unlikely)
OR
B: Our theories are correct about the production lag, and 2022 is looking more likely...for something<———— hoping it’s that one :D

Just to say, I’m not as skeptical about a new BoC as that makes out! :wink:

I think BOC fucked with their head, or at least slipt in to unknown after time. Remember the influention likes Anthony Fantano, who gave praise on a release, but ultimately gave them a 6/10, for tracks like Uritual being surprisingly uneventful for Boards of Canada.

Wheres he now? Came back to obscurity, or Boards of Canada is just too obscure for likes of him.

One thing for certain, it is very hard to say what time next BOC album will come. Easier answer would be, that they just operate on a different timeline. Unconventional and isolated.

Boqurant
If there's anyone knowledgeable enough about Warp, it might prove useful to point out if there have been any moments in the label's history where their patience ran thin and persuaded a musician to release an album by a certain date in the past. Warp seems to strike me as a label that has always been very lax in releasing records in favor of artistic integrity. And if that is the case, BoC could take another few years if they wanted to. If you ask me, this isn't surprising for a group where the members are pushing their 50s nowadays.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:

Is this really true that nobody really cares about BOC anymore but these places? I always thought they were big in the electronic world, but I could be wrong since I'm an uber fan.

I still find it tough believing that Nightmares on Wax are a more popular group because of all the fanfare BOC have received over the years. But if they are, it's a sign of the times I guess.

Dayvan Cowboy
I cannot for the life of me see Warp successfully convincing BOC to release a new album by a certain date.

Steve Beckett said it himself in an interview- BOC are absolute perfectionists, and they operate on a different timeline from everyone else.

Eagle Minded
"BoC, you have 6 days to make an album."

I'd actually be curious to hear them do a speed challenge like make an album in a day. That and an entire shitpost album would be amazing.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Is this really true that nobody really cares about BOC anymore but these places? I always thought they were big in the electronic world, but I could be wrong since I'm an uber fan.

I still find it tough believing that Nightmares on Wax are a more popular group because of all the fanfare BOC have received over the years. But if they are, it's a sign of the times I guess.

It's possible, at least when it comes to those that actually follow and keep tabs on their activity. Since they fall into a more ambient style of electronic music, I occasionally wonder how well they stand out as background music in the current methods of hearing new music, like through youtube videos and various playlists/mixes. I know decently popular youtuber "Wavywebsurf" has used their music in the background from TH to Old Tunes. They could be on their way to becoming "your favorite band's favorite band", of course none of that really matters much since their fanbase is pretty diehard.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada