GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
So how long until most people dissappear and the remaining flock back here to see what new speculation there is.
My two cents... This mix tape was just that and nothing more. It was WARP's event to showcase all their artists, not a platform for BOC to self promote. They haven't released anything (other than remixes) in 6 years, why would they neccisarilly release now? Any promises they made in interviews doesn't make it gospil, people change their minds, events happen, etc.
If people do feel hurt that there wasn't anything new then that hurt is only brought upon themselves. Would have loved nothing more than 2 hours of pure unreleased BOC but never thought for one moment it would be with what was presented to us through WARP/NTS
Here's to hoping they announce something tomorrow though!
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

Friendly Stranger
^Agreed.

BOC has a passionate listenership so it's understandable that expectations could become amplified under the pressure of excitable speculation. However, Warp never suggested that BOC would be using Warp30 as an opportunity to release new music. It would've honestly been strange for that to have happened given the collective nature of the celebration & new music needs its own space to breathe.

This wasn't the same format as Warp20 where each artist presented a stand-alone track. This was a unique radio broadcast experience and BOC offered a confounding two-hour mixtape that could only come from Hexagon Sun. I say this with love & only because I feel like what they just presented was really special.

Eagle Minded
dustbowl27 wrote:^Agreed.

BOC has a passionate listenership so it's understandable that expectations could become amplified under the pressure of excitable speculation. However, Warp never suggested that BOC would be using Warp30 as an opportunity to release new music. It would've honestly been strange for that to have happened given the collective nature of the celebration & new music needs its own space to breathe.

This wasn't the same format as Warp20 where each artist presented a stand-alone track. This was a unique radio broadcast experience and BOC offered a confounding two-hour mixtape that could only come from Hexagon Sun. I say this with love & only because I feel like what they just presented was really special.
Well said, I really liked everything they did, this mix was amazing and I am glad we got something unique and different. I really enjoyed some of the experimental electronic music they presented and devo was a flashback to my childhood ha well done brothers BoC!

Eagle Minded
I definitely don’t want to be a downer at all, and literally every time someone has said this on the forums before I immediately disregarded it but do you guys think BoC is done with like big official releases? I mean like this mix was amazing, and I loved every second of it but I was just a tad disappointed (which is 100% my fault). Idk I guess I’m probably just over thinking it. Really hoping my original prediction of “something for warp30, then a big release in 2020” will hold true, let me know what you guys think.
no information at this moment in time

Posts Quantity
Roswell wrote:but do you guys think BoC is done with like big official releases?

Thought the same this morning and i don't think that is the case. What we got yesterday was a beautiful 2h mix. That shows to me that the brothers are still interested in the medium and that they are probably working on something. :) The hard thing for me is that we all are back where we were a few weeks ago. (In the speculation thread)

Sherbet Head
I posted similar in the other thread but it's lost somehwere but...
I feel that BoC are still enough of a thing for them and warp to contribute something new for this show. If they have given up they may have not been included or Warp would put something more generic up. There are recent tracks in their mix so it's not something old they had lying around that they played at another party etc, they put this together for this show specifically.
So, they are not done, they are actively making music and have access to enough gear to mess around.
We'll get a new album at some point I reckon.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:I posted similar in the other thread but it's lost somehwere but...
I feel that BoC are still enough of a thing for them and warp to contribute something new for this show. If they have given up they may have not been included or Warp would put something more generic up. There are recent tracks in their mix so it's not something old they had lying around that they played at another party etc, they put this together for this show specifically.
So, they are not done, they are actively making music and have access to enough gear to mess around.
We'll get a new album at some point I reckon.

I now believe that guy who inquired about BoC remixing his music... this must have been that “project” they were working on... plus this morning it dawned on me that we had the truth the whole time... the “X” in Societas X Tape is actually a pronunciation of “mixtape” the x is in place of the word “mix”... like how in the 90’s artists and video games and hackers would use “technical slang” such as the cheat code for the PSX game “Alient Trilogy”... “1GOTP1NK8C1DBOOT5ON” which is “IGOTPINKACIDBOOTSON” and the code gave you unlimited everything.... I should have known it was “Societas “mix” Tape” simply from the title haha

Eagle Minded
I don't think they are done releasing music. It's always been done on their terms, they wouldn't slave over the course of six years to drop an album at Warp's request solely for the purpose of an event, because they don't roll like that. I'm inclined to believe the next album is already completed and they are tinkering with the final touches- and we all know how meticulous they can be. These things take time, but rest assured, we will be at that juncture perhaps sooner than later.

Yesterday was a complete blast. I was only in my bedroom with headphones on and it seriously felt like I was at a house party. It was enthralling, titillating, superbly fascinating, awe-inspiring, ah man I could go on and on. It felt like being given a very thoughtful present with a lot of passion behind it. I always have thought that their tastes in music would have been excellent, this confirms that. What a wild ride it was to be a part of that. It felt extremely personal- anyone who has ever tried to make a playlist for a friend of all their favourite tunes knows what I mean when I allude to just how difficult it can be to make the entire thing flow seamlessly and still be coherent enough to evoke powerful emotional responses. They really outdid themselves with this mix.

We're going to have to go back to the waiting game for now. There is simply no way around it. But it feels like we are closer than we were a month ago, and I'm not talking just about the length of time that has elapsed since then. This mix wasn't just them showcasing their musical preferences, it was them showing the ingridients for the recipe that ultimately became Boards of Canada. Without a doubt, we witnessed first hand some influencing factors into why and how BoC evolved to what they are today. They openly showed us their roots, took us on a journey down the rabbit hole, and seemed to tie it all together with extreme attentiveness to each and every aspect of the mix.

I can't answer just how long we are going to have to wait, and no one here will be able to either. We're back in the speculative arena, but that doesn't necessarily mean we are going to be hashing this out for another six years, I'd argue one or two more years at the most. My personal theory is that this mix was something of a "pilot test" to see how people would respond to this type of music. And respond we did, often with enthusiasm, emotion, surprise, and everything in between. It is still far too early to say that we have deciphered everything in there, too. There could very easily be some hidden messages in there, that would be classic BoC.

Sherbet Head
Last night's mix was an indication they're still active, regardless of whether it was contractual or not. I like to think that if they're done then they'd say so.

Eagle Minded
I'll be honest, I'm a bit bummed. Of course, I wasn't expecting two hours of new BOC music - but I did assume it would at least be a mix of their own catalogue. Regardless, some cool tunes and that Severed Heads song is hot..probably the one that "fooled" me the most.

I don't think they're done at all because I'd think they wouldn't just silently disappear.. surely they'd let us know. Yea, I know, they "don't owe us anything," but it feels a bit extreme, even for them, to just vanish.

Anyway, hoping for 2019, but realistically 2025.

Sherbet Head
I feel pathetic chasing this music like a crackhead. I mean it's an obsession..

Eagle Minded
^ I feel that, brother.

Anyways, nothing real significant at all to toss into this thread, butI know they "liked" a ton of tweets. That's probably someone from WARP managing their account, but there was one tweet in particular that stood out to me, it was the final one and it was seperated from the pack of mass likes by a few hours. Here it is translated roughly from Russian:

"Двухчасовой микс @boctransmission — это лучшее, что случилось со мной этим летом. Это как отправится в путешествие без карты. Там столько новой старой музыки, что можно погружаться всё глубже и глубже. Это невероятно!
Теперь бы ещё новый релиз от самих Boards of Canada..."

"The two-hour mix is the @boctransmission best thing that's happened to me this summer.
Now if there would be another new release from the Boards of Canada..."

There's a small glimmer of hope at the end there. I feel personally that something is headed our way, but then again wtf do I know. All I know is the mixtape is enough to tide me over for a great amount of time. I've been getting really into it.

Posts Quantity
Just a random thought after listening the mixtape... maybe the next album has a psychedelic rock vibe to it, I'd go crazy with that.
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Sherbet Head
That's what I said after the sometimes remix. Because it was recorded old school mono made stereo with drums all on left etc I thought that would allude to their next style.
I kinda imagine a summer of love vibe based around the old cult, drug, mass murder vibe. The album would be a a woozy psychadelic thing all recorded/produced in the style of Love's forever changes for example.

Of course, who the fuck knows, just waht I got from that tiny window of their output and assuming an album would follow, like everytime haha.

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:I kinda imagine a summer of love vibe based around the old cult, drug, mass murder vibe. The album would be a a woozy psychadelic thing all recorded/produced in the style of Love's forever changes for example..

Yes, this! I would love another feel-good album like TCH.

New Seed
I may be stretching but I feel like the song The Other Stranger by Doxa Sinitra was sort of directed towards the listeners. Just from the sampled dialogue used in it. "Maybe they're bluffing but maybe they're not" "That is what you don't know". "Should they know?" "Know what?" "....To give it a bit longer". I feel like they mixed the song in there not only because its a good song but could also relate to the current direction with the whole waiting game thing. Or whether or not they were going to release a lot of old material during the stream. Make of that what you will.

Boqurant
sett wrote:I may be stretching but I feel like the song The Other Stranger by Doxa Sinitra was sort of directed towards the listeners. Just from the sampled dialogue used in it. "Maybe they're bluffing but maybe they're not" "That is what you don't know". "Should they know?" "Know what?" "....To give it a bit longer". I feel like they mixed the song in there not only because its a good song but could also relate to the current direction with the whole waiting game thing. Or whether or not they were going to release a lot of old material during the stream. Make of that what you will.

That's actually a cool thought.

Sherbet Head
I said that too when it was happening but I didn't realise that the samples were part of the original track, I thought they added them. As soon as heard some of the lines I thought it was a message.

Eagle Minded
sett wrote:I may be stretching but I feel like the song The Other Stranger by Doxa Sinitra was sort of directed towards the listeners. Just from the sampled dialogue used in it. "Maybe they're bluffing but maybe they're not" "That is what you don't know". "Should they know?" "Know what?" "....To give it a bit longer". I feel like they mixed the song in there not only because its a good song but could also relate to the current direction with the whole waiting game thing. Or whether or not they were going to release a lot of old material during the stream. Make of that what you will.

I'm on board with this as well, I came up with a theory as soon as I heard them throw it in the mix. The "girl" is the album/new music the fans are after. Us fans are the detectives pursuing the case of potential new music. I'll write out the lyrics since I can't find them from searching the web. I am still unsure what the word is during the crocodile quote, but I think I narrowed it down, but if anyone can pick up on that word and what the grunting is towards the end, that would be greatly appreciated. This is a fun one, let's go:

- Excuse me, but my name is Williams.

- Okay, you said you wanted to talk; let's talk.

- You have the girl. I want her.

- As you can imagine, we're concerned for her safety. We want her returned.

- (dog barks)

- We gotta get her back!

- When she's safe, you'll be safe.

- (dog barks)

- It's not difficult, is it?

- Just keep your mouth shut.

- We are in deep trouble!

- Maybe these guys are bluffin', but maybe they're not!

- That's what you don't know! (x2)

- Do I need to call the station?

- What for?

- Just to let them know.

- Know what?

- Give it a bit longer.

- Just follow instructions, would you, pal?

- I've got three hundred hot screamin' kids waitin' to see Leo the Lizard.

- Yeah, you ever lose them all, it happens all the time.

- Sounded like a crocodile. Like a (sounds like "imputations") crocodile.

- That's what you don't know!

- I just said you should stay in bed.

- The final clue came when I saw her in the red satin sweater. She walked towards me, her hips waved a happy hello. When I noticed the run in her black silk stockings then I knew I was on the right track.

- Well, we worked it late.

- Then why don't you quit the violin music? Give it a bit longer. (x4)

- Unintelligible grunting x2 (sounds like "music did")

- I know he would never do something so wicked and God is my witness. (fades out echoing "and God is my witness" in a devilish voice)
Last edited by Mozart on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Cycler
thumbass wrote:

That's actually a cool thought.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I cannot shake the feeling that they know how ravenously analytical their fan base tends to be, so they designed Societas to appeal to our curiosity, and to poke fun at us a bit, too!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada