GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Amks is going live again folks :)

Dayvan Cowboy
writetomhatcher wrote:Latest Warp Sale goes until Feb 1:

Shop now our exclusive Warp New Year Sale. 15% off all LPs and CDs and 24bit WAVs for the price of MP3s.

Maybe they’ll announce something before the end of the month to keep this hype they’ve brewed going!

Like I said, they haven't announced or released anything at all since November. All there was, was a Lorenzo single and a Darkstar remix single in the last month or so.

Perhaps they'll keep quiet until Jan 22nd for the final BOC transmission?

Of course, I'm getting more skeptical by the minute, but the longer they hold off announcing something gives me a little bit of hope for the future. :)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
The phase of the moon on Wednesday matches up with the catalog symbol...Though, like before, it probably doesn't matter. Just thought I'd point that out for anyone looking for anything to get excited about :P

Also Plaid are releasing a new album...on Touched Music rather than Warp. I wonder if that's significant in anyway.

Sherbet Head
Echelon wrote:Also Plaid are releasing a new album...on Touched Music rather than Warp. I wonder if that's significant in anyway.

Source?

Dayvan Cowboy
niknak wrote:
Echelon wrote:Also Plaid are releasing a new album...on Touched Music rather than Warp. I wonder if that's significant in anyway.

Source?

The Plaid facebook group. Even though, now that I look, it's more an informed rumor (much like when people found out that Autechre was releasing two albums last year before it happened) and it's probably going to be a smaller limited release. Sorry about that.

Regardless if true or not, it still means that nothing for Warp was announced, leaving the release window clear

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Regardless if true or not, it still means that nothing for Warp was announced, leaving the release window clear

Hmm yeah, it does seem strange for Warp to have nothing in place. I'm fairly certain there's usually one or two upcoming releases at any given time.

It could be purely coincidental, or they could be gearing up for a major release?

In terms of their big players... I'd rule out Autechre as we just had two new albums from those guys. OPN, possibly an EP but definitely not an album. It appears Aphex is back in reclusive mode, so probably nothing from him. I think Bibio will release an album this year (alongside more reissues) but could he be considered as one of Warp's flagship artists? I also think Flying Lotus may drop a new record, but I'd expect it later in the year. Unless there's a huge new signing, that just leaves us with Squarepusher and the bros.

Eagle Minded
Sherbet Head wrote:
Echelon wrote:Regardless if true or not, it still means that nothing for Warp was announced, leaving the release window clear

Hmm yeah, it does seem strange for Warp to have nothing in place. I'm fairly certain there's usually one or two upcoming releases at any given time.

It could be purely coincidental, or they could be gearing up for a major release?

In terms of their big players... I'd rule out Autechre as we just had two new albums from those guys. OPN, possibly an EP but definitely not an album. It appears Aphex is back in reclusive mode, so probably nothing from him. I think Bibio will release an album this year (alongside more reissues) but could he be considered as one of Warp's flagship artists? I also think Flying Lotus may drop a new record, but I'd expect it later in the year. Unless there's a huge new signing, that just leaves us with Squarepusher and the bros.

Hmmmm... I agree fully with this, Aphex Said recently that he hasn't even been making much music lately, Flying Lotus is definitely working on something but it's a fair way off, also I'm still waiting for that new Seefeel album too.

Other artists who are due for a release are Danny Brown, Battles, Clark and Death Grips (yeah they are on Warp now and have been quiet since wxaxrxp).

The rest just kind of release music whenever, it really is seeming more and more likely that this really could be the year for BoC.

Just about 2 weeks until January 22nd, NGL it's hard to not anticipate something, the more quiet Warp stay leading up until that date the more I'm gonna anticipate something.

Eagle Minded
demo wrote:Hmmmm... I agree fully with this, Aphex Said recently that he hasn't even been making much music lately, Flying Lotus is definitely working on something but it's a fair way off, also I'm still waiting for that new Seefeel album too.

Other artists who are due for a release are Danny Brown, Battles, Clark and Death Grips (yeah they are on Warp now and have been quiet since wxaxrxp).

The rest just kind of release music whenever, it really is seeming more and more likely that this really could be the year for BoC.

Just about 2 weeks until January 22nd, NGL it's hard to not anticipate something, the more quiet Warp stay leading up until that date the more I'm gonna anticipate something.

Clark isn't on Warp anymore, and I think the relationship between Death Grips and Warp is purely on a publishing basis. (DG self release through their own label, and Warp deal with licensing, royalty collection, etc. More info here!)

There's usually a 4 year gap between Battles records and their last one came out late 2019, so I'd say that's fairly unlikely (unless I've missed any hints/announcements?) - I'm also predicting Danny Brown's next record to drop next year, or Q4 this year at the earliest, based on his usual 2-3 year gap.

Essentially, this all greatly increases the chances of a (magic) window over the next few months. And you're absolutely right, the closer we get to Jan 22nd with continued radio silence from Warp, the more optimistic I'll be :D [/foolish]

New Seed
Sherbet Head wrote:Essentially, this all greatly increases the chances of a (magic) window over the next few months. And you're absolutely right, the closer we get to Jan 22nd with continued radio silence from Warp, the more optimistic I'll be :D [/foolish]

You know it really may not be all that foolish tbh. I find myself feeling quite optimistic as well, and there is an allotment of (anecdotal, admittedly)evidence that the radio silence may be broken :). Fingers crossed, lads!

Dayvan Cowboy
Why would they upload the banner if they weren't going to drop anything relatively soon? Presents a whole new art direction which is both nostalgic for the band (no faces, turquoise hexagon) and new (pagan extra-terrestrial themed.) They could have easily posted it back in 2016 back when they were initially liking posts and releasing remixes, but they chose to do it last September.

I think we can safely eliminate most of the big artists because, as I've been saying myself, they've all released something in the last two years. Only Aphex (who has admitted to taking it easy) and BOC remain, and BOC has put forth something to indicate they're actually active. Couple that with the social media activity (them liking a post that told them to "like if a new album is coming,") the bandcamp, the sit tight message from PIC, some interesting messages in Societas hinting at the future direction, the fact that Jan 22nd is the same amount of time from TCH to TH minus one day (they promised the wait would be shorter) and even a supposed Mike Sandison tweet; and I think it's safe to say, something might be coming sooner than we think.

At least we know it's coming. BOC's management have done everything other than have them running down the streets naked in Edinburgh screaming, "THE NEW PROJECT IS COMING."

Edit: If you want to get really tin-foil hat conspiracy-ish, around 1:21-1:22 on Societas, the song about the hillside and the "Queen coming our way" starts playing.

Posts Quantity
I just realized the significance of the Tomorrow's Harvest UK release date : June 10 = 6/10 = sixtyten. Some people have said that their album release dates have no numerical significance, but I think this is worth noticing.

MHTRTC: 4/20--a loaded date in itself, and 4 + 2 +0 = 6;
Geogaddi: 2/13--(2 + 1 + 3 = 6)
TCH: originally slated for 6/6/06. (I'm not sure what happened there, but it looks like they were doing a test run of the TH campaign.)

And here's a new one I'm just noticing: Societas X Tape was program 69 out of 70 on the NTS1 broadcast. Def need to add this to the growing list of 69 references. This would explain the "Warp Works" tracks that were interspersed throughout the event, some of which were under a minute. It's cool to see the whole wxaxrxp programming was based around BOC's favorite numbers!

Link here: archive.org/details/WXAXRXP-NTS1/69.+BOARDS+OF+CANADA+-+SOCIETAS+X+TAPE.mp3

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:the fact that Jan 22nd is the same amount of time from TCH to TH minus one day (they promised the wait would be shorter)

Haha I love this. Best troll ever if that happens to be true.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:Why would they upload the banner if they weren't going to drop anything relatively soon? Presents a whole new art direction which is both nostalgic for the band (no faces, turquoise hexagon) and new (pagan extra-terrestrial themed.) They could have easily posted it back in 2016 back when they were initially liking posts and releasing remixes, but they chose to do it last September.

At least we know it's coming. BOC's management have done everything other than have them running down the streets naked in Edinburgh screaming, "THE NEW PROJECT IS COMING."

Perusing some of the old Hexagon Sun responses on bocpages, I stumbled upon a response from MDG circa 2009, which gave me hope:

"At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. I say that because it hasn't been finally compiled yet. There's a big archive to get through, the obvious tracks that were on various demos and mixtapes given out to friends in the late eighties and early nineties, but also a huge amount of unreleased material that hasn't surfaced so far. There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand. There's been regular debate across here about what goes on them and in what order etc. But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too."

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Statements_from_Hexagon_Sun#2001_-_2010

Given the sheer volume of unreleased material alluded to above, I always thought that they should take a cue from Bob Dylan and release things in a similar fashion to his bootleg series.

Less "everything at once", and more "one rare compilation every few years."

Time will tell I guess.

Happy Cycler
Knifeyspooney wrote:
Echelon wrote:Why would they upload the banner if they weren't going to drop anything relatively soon? Presents a whole new art direction which is both nostalgic for the band (no faces, turquoise hexagon) and new (pagan extra-terrestrial themed.) They could have easily posted it back in 2016 back when they were initially liking posts and releasing remixes, but they chose to do it last September.

Perusing some of the old Hexagon Sun responses on bocpages, I stumbled upon a response from MDG circa 2009, which gave me hope:

"At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. I say that because it hasn't been finally compiled yet. There's a big archive to get through, the obvious tracks that were on various demos and mixtapes given out to friends in the late eighties and early nineties, but also a huge amount of unreleased material that hasn't surfaced so far. There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand. There's been regular debate across here about what goes on them and in what order etc. But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too."

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Statements_from_Hexagon_Sun#2001_-_2010

Given the sheer volume of unreleased material alluded to above, I always thought that they should take a cue from Bob Dylan and release things in a similar fashion to his bootleg series.

Less "everything at once", and more "one rare compilation every few years."

Time will tell I guess.

Of all the things to stick with me over the years here, that quote from MDG is at the top!

Eagle Minded
Ottomatik wrote:
Echelon wrote:the fact that Jan 22nd is the same amount of time from TCH to TH minus one day (they promised the wait would be shorter)

Wait are you serious??
Now my optimism has sky rocketed

When did BoC actually make this promise?
Does anyone have a source?

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:
Ottomatik wrote:

Wait are you serious??
Now my optimism has sky rocketed

When did BoC actually make this promise?
Does anyone have a source?

I did a big search for this quote a year ago. It stems not from the TH interviews, but rather from an MDG correspondence with Joyrex where MDG told him that BOC have expressed the "desire to get things done sooner."

Well, we got two weeks to find out if that's true or not.

New Seed
My contribution to the possible 2021 Warp releases: I think Danny Brown has teased a new album, Daniel Rossen from Grizzly Bear will release an album on Warp (even if the last Grizzly Bear album wasn’t on Warp), Kelela seems due for an album, Bibio is still reissuing old albums and Jockstrap might release something (since they were signed early last year). I’m not entirely sure if Brian Eno is still on Warp (most of his latest releases have been with other labels). Also, at least for the past two years there’s been a big reissue campaign (Stereolab in 2019, Global Communications in 2020); I would love to see this big reissues / box sets / nice editions to keep on coming but who knows.
But yeah, unless Brian Eno is still on Warp and with something coming, and given what others have already said about Clark and Plaid, Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada would be natural big names on Warp’s calendar.

Dayvan Cowboy
diego4533 wrote: Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada would be natural big names on Warp’s calendar.

If I was to make a far out prediction for 2021, BOC in Jan/Feb and Aphex in Nov/Dec. I have a feeling they'd put out new BOC first and save Aphex for last since he is probably their biggest artist (as much as we all love BOC here :P )

Plus, BOC have been showing tons of hints about releasing new stuff while Aphex said "I'm taking it easy right now." If Aphex wants to relax and open up the release window for BOC, I'd be down haha. We've already gotten way more Aphex in the last decade than BOC anyway. Wasn't much for Syro but Collapse and Cheetah both proved he's mostly still there.

New Seed
Not sure if anyone else has seen it but MDG was online yesterday at 14.11 GMT.

Eagle Minded
14hoolahan27 wrote:Not sure if anyone else has seen it but MDG was online yesterday at 14.11 GMT.

Good spot! Things are certainly heating up this winter 8)

Echelon wrote:
diego4533 wrote: We've already gotten way more Aphex in the last decade than BOC anyway. Wasn't much for Syro but Collapse and Cheetah both proved he's mostly still there.

Don't forget the Soundcloud dump! That alone consisted of more material than BoC have released in their entire career lol

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada