GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Yeah I think the actual date is the 22nd. Also, I read above that the amount of days dates between TCH - TH and TH - 22/01/2021 are the same amount plus one, but I just checked and there are exactly 2789 days between both dates. And even if boc never stated that the wait would be shorter, it still is too precise to be a coincidence.
22/01 may not be the most important date in the history of the Plaque, but I think the phrase "last transmission" certainly has meaning for boc fans.
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Dayvan Cowboy
WaitingFor_22 wrote:Yeah I think the actual date is the 22nd. Also, I read above that the amount of days dates between TCH - TH and TH - 22/01/2021 are the same amount plus one, but I just checked and there are exactly 2789 days between both dates. And even if boc never stated that the wait would be shorter, it still is too precise to be a coincidence.
22/01 may not be the most important date in the history of the Plaque, but I think the phrase "last transmission" certainly has meaning for boc fans.

You put my thoughts into words better than I could.

It's so weird that it's the same amount of time. That's why I'm hopeful. Just a little. :)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
The only issue is that they would need to drop a full album on that date for that theory to hold up.

Friendly Stranger
outhudd wrote:This is me not knowing anything about them of course, but from the outside, to me it seems the brothers are super professional, take their time to do things right, register their works and companies properly, take time to create their music, no matter how long it takes, and I have major respect for that. At least its how I imagine them.

I also think that something which goes hand in hand with that professional attitude is: never release anything that is in any way less than your absolute best. And if there's anything in the old tapes they don't like so much now, I think it will never be released.

Freebie archive dumps on Soundcloud like Aphex or Autechre have done would not be in line with their style either.

Just my opinion and of course I know nothing about how they are in person, and it's probably wrong of me to make assumptions.

I know they've said they'd like to do a BOCset at some point, but it could be that they've looked at the tapes and feel they can't stand over it with the same pride they would have had with Tomorrow's Harvest, which to me is their biggest accomplishment.

It is an interesting sentiment and I am sure that reflects quite accurately some of their outlook...

At the same time, I feel that any good artist is able to detach themselves from their former work and allow it to breathe and exist as what it is rather than allowing their current selves to view it critically through their current lenses as highly developed musicians.

Their early work really has to be allowed to exist on its own in my opinion, because otherwise we are in a George Lucas scenario, denying access to the original Star Wars masters and only offering a 1997 edit with a CGI Jabba the Hutt in it.

It will always be their creative property and they will always be the ones at liberty to set it free, but I hope they understand that it isn't really "theirs" anymore.

Eagle Minded
the BoC set sounds awesome and all, and it’s something i’ve wanted for a long long time. But really thinking about it now, i’m not so sure. I mean, if i’m not mistaken, Old Tunes Vol.1 and Vol.2 were both compilations sent to record labels, to show off the bands “best” works. If that’s the case, then maybe the rest isn’t great... I mean, i’m sure some of its good, but what if it doesn’t stand up. Yea it would be legendary to hear the older records, but I almost feel like the early early stuff is maybe best kept under wraps. and correct me if i’m wrong but i think all of the BoC set quotes were before the OT1&2 leaks. I’d love to hear those MHTRTC and Geogaddi outtakes though, theres probably some gems in there. Not saying the older stuff is doomed to be bad, but, I think that we have probably heard the best of it. as a musician, i know that there’s a lot of okay stuff from when i started, but most of that is only listenable because it’s nostalgic to me, and i would never be able to release it. That said, i’m no where near that talent of BoC. whatever the next release is, BoC set or whole new record, I think we’ll all be happy.
no information at this moment in time

Eagle Minded
You ever realise that when you google "Pioneer Probe" that the first date that pops up is the launch date? 2nd March 1972

I'm starting to realise that the word "transmission" is the only reason people (including myself) gravitated towards the 22/01 date ..

Eagle Minded
Roswell wrote:correct me if i’m wrong but i think all of the BoC set quotes were before the OT1&2 leaks

As far as I'm aware, the most recent comment regarding an archival release was made around 8 years ago. I'm not sure when the Old Tunes tapes leaked, but I definitely remember listening to them a couple years prior.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10300&p=181397#p181397

I don't believe anything's been mentioned about the boxset post-TH, but the fact that BoC have since shared a link to Buckie High on their Twitter makes me think the project is still active somewhat.

https://twitter.com/boctransmission/sta ... 5677315072

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah the BOCset was mentioned well after all the Old Tunes/R35TT leaks.

It hasn't been discussed since TH, true, but MDG has barely logged in post-TH (and I don't blame him- some people were getting way too entitled about having him around.)

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:You ever realise that when you google "Pioneer Probe" that the first date that pops up is the launch date? 2nd March 1972

I'm starting to realise that the word "transmission" is the only reason people (including myself) gravitated towards the 22/01 date ..

A launch date would be just as important if not more than the final transmission. I could imagine it representing BOC's new project "taking off."

Plus I'm pretty sure that would mean that this isn't the last thing we'd hear from BOC!

And, it would be past Stereolab's release date too!

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Yeah the BOCset was mentioned well after all the Old Tunes/R35TT leaks.

It hasn't been discussed since TH, true, but MDG has barely logged in post-TH (and I don't blame him- some people were getting way too entitled about having him around.)

I was going back through some of those old posts around 2008 and I agree, I'm not at all surprised mdg has stopped posting to the forum.

It seems like the BoC community has matured a lot since then though, definitely more accepting of letting BoC be people and live their lives how they want. I seen back then people where upset that they weren't doing interviews, and that an update like "a restock of t-shirts" would upset people.

As much as we would love to hear all the music BoC have ever made, it seems like these days no one is getting entitled about wanting new material, we all just wish, speculate and hope.

Posts Quantity
In their Guardian interview, they specifically mentioned cataloging their unreleased material to pass on to their children (I assume so they can then release it; but perhaps it would just be for personal use...but I don’t see why they’d say that in an interview if it was meant to be personal (which I would totally understand)).

Dayvan Cowboy
WaitingFor_22 wrote:Yeah I think the actual date is the 22nd. Also, I read above that the amount of days dates between TCH - TH and TH - 22/01/2021 are the same amount plus one, but I just checked and there are exactly 2789 days between both dates. And even if boc never stated that the wait would be shorter, it still is too precise to be a coincidence.

If something actually happens tomorrow, on the 22nd, your username will be legendary.

Friendly Stranger
SamuraiDrifter wrote:It hasn't been discussed since TH, true, but MDG has barely logged in post-TH (and I don't blame him- some people were getting way too entitled about having him around.)

Just for the record, if you mean the people that I saw joking about "summoning" him a while back, they were joking because of how elusive he is and it was a bit of English humor really. I didn't see it as being at anyone's expense when I read it

I can't recall whether it was you or someone else that got really quite upset about that, I don't think it was you

I've been here for ages, sorry

If you mean anything else that I might not have caught up on, anyone being actually pissy and demanding MDG's presence, then I can entirely understand though

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah, I understood that as a joke and it wasn't me who was mad about that.

I was referring more to people back before TH was released claiming that MDG wasn't actually with Hexagon Sun, that he was lying, that he was pointlessly stringing fans along, telling him to "do his job," and even some saying that if the new album didn't come out by a particular date, they would stop being BOC fans altogether. Just a massive amount of childish entitlement.

This was back in 2010-2013.

Eagle Minded
After the way TH was built up and announced. It would be cool for a new record to just appear one day. No campaign, no advertising. Just bang! Give us your fuckin' money - have this record! Get your wallet out and hand over your wads of sweaty money.

Friendly Stranger
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Yeah, I understood that as a joke and it wasn't me who was mad about that.

I was referring more to people back before TH was released claiming that MDG wasn't actually with Hexagon Sun, that he was lying, that he was pointlessly stringing fans along, telling him to "do his job," and even some saying that if the new album didn't come out by a particular date, they would stop being BOC fans altogether. Just a massive amount of childish entitlement.

This was back in 2010-2013.

Nae worries! It was such a long time ago that I just can't recall it as anything but a distant one. I remember lots of people joking about it and one user taking it very seriously, I really can't remember and it honestly doesn't matter at this stage

I have only truly been keeping myself versed in this kind of thing since 2013, so I wouldn't know about much before that, but as I understand it and as I am sure you are already aware, MDG and Twoism's involvement with the TH Promo was to be the definitive proof that he was in fact Hexagon Sun and part of that was in reaction to a lot of the people claiming he was some kind of impostor

Dayvan Cowboy

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:Image

Horror Bay

Sounds like a RL Stine book

Posts Quantity
I was scrolling through not expecting to see that and it scared the shit out of me :lol:
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Eagle Minded
God damn folks it’s upon us, let us thank Catherine for getting the ball rolling, and pray to not be disappointed tomorrow

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada