GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:
Echelon wrote:If it's any consolation, my same friend in 2019 (who's probably more savvy about what's going on with Ween than me since he goes to their concerts and whatnot) mentioned that they were attempting to record a new album. But I honestly get the same feeling about the new Ween album as the new BOC album, it's purely hypothetical and simply based around a few hints. But who knows maybe, this might be our year for both of them :D

By that token, maybe this'll be the year that the Butthole Surfers finally drop that album they mentioned working on a few years ago :P

I think one of the worst things about modern times versus the sixties, is respectable bands would actually throw out an album every year. I guess the world of sound had yet to be mined so artistically minded artists could easily find ideas that hadn't been used yet.

Nowadays, these bands we list (Ween, Butthole Surfers, MBV, BOC) who strive for higher artistic ideals probably have a lot more trouble finding ideas and chord progressions that haven't been used inventively.

BTW, somewhat unrelated, but I'm kind of happy that on the Warp website. BOC are listed in "Current Artists." Which means, they're active on the Warp label. Perhaps the sheer lack of product this year from Warp may possibly lead to something big from BOC. I still think pushing Squid back to May signifies something.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
Jango9 wrote:
Echelon wrote:If it's any consolation, my same friend in 2019 (who's probably more savvy about what's going on with Ween than me since he goes to their concerts and whatnot) mentioned that they were attempting to record a new album. But I honestly get the same feeling about the new Ween album as the new BOC album, it's purely hypothetical and simply based around a few hints. But who knows maybe, this might be our year for both of them :D

By that token, maybe this'll be the year that the Butthole Surfers finally drop that album they mentioned working on a few years ago :P

I think one of the worst things about modern times versus the sixties, is respectable bands would actually throw out an album every year. I guess the world of sound had yet to be mined so artistically minded artists could easily find ideas that hadn't been used yet.

Nowadays, these bands we list (Ween, Butthole Surfers, MBV, BOC) who strive for higher artistic ideals probably have a lot more trouble finding ideas and chord progressions that haven't been used inventively.

BTW, somewhat unrelated, but I'm kind of happy that on the Warp website. BOC are listed in "Current Artists." Which means, they're active on the Warp label. Perhaps the sheer lack of product this year from Warp may possibly lead to something big from BOC. I still think pushing Squid back to May signifies something.

It's a waiting game now. BOC, Warp and the fans. And must say, I enjoy this more, than any possible announcement.

Eagle Minded
Currrent means they're still signed to WARP and their music is licensed by them. The band could be dead and still be labeled as "current" in their roaster (for represses, merch and the like for instance).

Eagle Minded
Moloch wrote:The band could be dead and still be labeled as "current" in their roaster

That's the case with LFO. (RIP Mark Bell)
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
Moloch wrote:Currrent means they're still signed to WARP and their music is licensed by them. The band could be dead and still be labeled as "current" in their roaster (for represses, merch and the like for instance).

With LFO though, they still released an archival release; The WXAXRXP sessions. So I guess Warp can still release things despite being him being dead, by whoever is the beneficiary.

I really don't think BOC is dead though. I mean, if they were dead, I'm sure their social media would have folded a long time ago and not string people along.

But recently, Warp seems to be the one who's dying haha. Last night I had a dream that it was September/October of this year and they still hadn't released much of anything.

Dayvan Cowboy
NorthSaturnian wrote:
Moloch wrote:The band could be dead and still be labeled as "current" in their roaster

That's the case with LFO. (RIP Mark Bell)

I don't believe, that BOC would agree to or want that. Keep their name just for merch.

LFO (Mark Bell) are literally dead.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:With LFO though, they still released an archival release; The WXAXRXP sessions. So I guess Warp can still release things despite being him being dead, by whoever is the beneficiary.

There was a lot of controversy surrounding that release. Gez (the surviving member of LFO) claimed Warp released that WXAXRXP session without his permission, but that's just the tip of the iceberg... he'd planned/is planning to sue Warp for unpaid royalties over the LFO release from 1990. He currently has a crowdfunding campaign to raise missing royalty money from the general public, so perhaps the legal battle ended in Warp's favour and he's resorting to this? Who knows? Very messy situation regardless.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:
Echelon wrote:With LFO though, they still released an archival release; The WXAXRXP sessions. So I guess Warp can still release things despite being him being dead, by whoever is the beneficiary.

There was a lot of controversy surrounding that release. Gez (the surviving member of LFO) claimed Warp released that WXAXRXP session without his permission, but that's just the tip of the iceberg... he'd planned/is planning to sue Warp for unpaid royalties over the LFO release from 1990. He currently has a crowdfunding campaign to raise missing royalty money from the general public, so perhaps the legal battle ended in Warp's favour and he's resorting to this? Who knows? Very messy situation regardless.

I heard about the royalties battle from a friend, but i had no idea that the LFO session was released without permission.

I get the feeling, two years on, that the WXAXRXP sessions were probably the only way Warp could tide over Aphex and BOC fans while attempting to wrangle material from these notoriously difficult artists. Would be funny if they casually said "Hey we'll throw in LFO too" without realizing they'd piss off this Gez fellow in the process.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Would be funny if they casually said "Hey we'll throw in LFO too" without realizing they'd piss off this Gez fellow in the process.

Probably, I'm not sure if they noticed that Gez released LFO's full Peel Session on his youtube channel a month before the WXAXRXP Sessions did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxKh6Rr2h-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5F3_VuhFI
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
Prediction:

Feb 26th: Stereolab

Somewhere between: BOC

May 6: Squid

They're simply getting ready for a big drop. :D

Don't hold me to it, but that's what the optimist in me thinks. Really don't want to base anything on numerology anymore, but wasn't the Pioneer's launch date somewhere around this time too?

Friendly Stranger
I am guessing this is nothing but their allowing for a replacement, but TH was reuploaded a few months ago leaving the old videos as unlisted instead of them just being directly deleted. I am guessing that it was some kind of automatic process because having an unlisted video with a 'content unavailable' means that it wasn't deleted in the normal way, usually a removed unlisted video won't have anything else on the page, not even an 'unlisted' sticker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzw-TvnreoM

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Prediction:

Don't hold me to it, but that's what the optimist in me thinks. Really don't want to base anything on numerology anymore, but wasn't the Pioneer's launch date somewhere around this time too?

*optimism hat on*

March 2nd (Pioneer 10 launch), April 6th (Pioneer 11 launch) and April 27th (Pioneer 10 last telemetry) are all viable dates, probably moreso than the Jan 22nd one because of the Friday thing.

If I had to put my money on one date in particular, it would be March 2nd, as the Pioneer 10 launch is arguably the most significant event of the three.

Maybe this also explains why Warp were gathering new subscribers with the 2020 vinyl bundle comp. Is there something coming up that they wanna shout about?

*optimism hat off*

The use of the Pioneer Plaque may not necessarily be a reference to dates; it could simply hint at the theme of the next release, which may not happen until 2030. Hopefully I'm still around for that :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:

*optimism hat on*

March 2nd (Pioneer 10 launch), April 6th (Pioneer 11 launch) and April 27th (Pioneer 10 last telemetry) are all viable dates, probably moreso than the Jan 22nd one because of the Friday thing.

If I had to put my money on one date in particular, it would be March 2nd, as the Pioneer 10 launch is arguably the most significant event of the three.

Maybe this also explains why Warp were gathering new subscribers with the 2020 vinyl bundle comp. Is there something coming up that they wanna shout about?

*optimism hat off*

The use of the Pioneer Plaque may not necessarily be a reference to dates; it could simply hint at the theme of the next release, which may not happen until 2030. Hopefully I'm still around for that :lol:

Thanks for listing the dates I was too lazy to bring up, Sherbet Head :D They all fall within Feb 26 and May 6, which is pretty awesome. But, especially nowadays, it's very good to be wary about numerology. I think we all took ourselves for a ride with Jan 22nd haha

That said, even without the dates, the weird gap between releases is very unusual for Warp. I've never seen anything like that in their schedule. Why wait all that time to release Squid?

My optimism hat is always on though. Imagining the day I get buzzed and enjoy some new fresh BOC is worth holding out for!

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:

*optimism hat on*

*optimism hat off*

If we're to go by the reddit guy:

Announcement on February 27th which will coincidence with the new moon. This full moon was known by early Native American tribes as the "Snow Moon" because the heaviest snows usually fell during this time of the year. Since hunting is difficult, this moon has also been known by some tribes as the Hunger Moon, since the harsh weather made hunting a challenge.

The album will be released in April, preceded by one song from the album which will be released two weeks prior.

If there's any truth to what he said, then Feb 27 would be the announcement, April 6th would be the first single and April 27th would be the release date.

Total grasping at straws here to assume the guy is actually a leaker from warp and not a troll which is really 5% likely. However, this would be a release window that makes total sense since warp tend to announce releases about a month or two in advance

Dayvan Cowboy
Keep in mind, this Reddit user claimed to know the theme of the album ("leaving Earth to start anew"), the album art, and the length of at least one track, but didn't know the album title or the name of so much as a single track. The information they claimed to have didn't add up at all and they didn't provide any evidence, either.

Putting any stock in what they say is almost certainly just going to end in disappointment.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Keep in mind, this Reddit user claimed to know the theme of the album ("leaving Earth to start anew"), the album art, and the length of at least one track, but didn't know the album title or the name of so much as a single track. The information they claimed to have didn't add up at all and they didn't provide any evidence, either.

Putting any stock in what they say is almost certainly just going to end in disappointment.

Yeah... I agree. That's why I said grasping at straws. Because really, that's all we got in terms of info: some sketchy "insider" on reddit.

I will defend him in one respect. If he leaked any of that stuff you listed, (especially a title or a track name) I have a good feeling there'd be some serious cutting off from a job or their circle of friends.

I haven't checked the thread again though. Maybe he came out and admitted it was fake

Sherbet Head
Please don't give any credence to that info, based on the title they made up alone, probably the worst album title ever. BoC going from such inventive album titles to something so direct, obvious and poor is roll on the floor laughable.
Have you dates by all means, but anything on Reddit? I think we all learned right?
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:If there's any truth to what he said, then Feb 27 would be the announcement, April 6th would be the first single and April 27th would be the release date.

Total grasping at straws here to assume the guy is actually a leaker from warp and not a troll which is really 5% likely. However, this would be a release window that makes total sense since warp tend to announce releases about a month or two in advance

Well we can immediately render that bogus as announcements and single drops are always Mon-Thu and album releases are always on Fridays.

The only viable date this 'leaker' has provided is the April 6th single drop, as it's a Tuesday and it coincides with the launch of Pioneer 11, but as the other two dates are false we should assume this one is a load of old bollocks too.

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:Please don't give any credence to that info, based on the title they made up alone, probably the worst album title ever. BoC going from such inventive album titles to something so direct, obvious and poor is roll on the floor laughable.
Have you dates by all means, but anything on Reddit? I think we all learned right?

I don't remember there being a title.

Posts Quantity
Its 12022021 tomorrow, dreaming of a single dropping .. dreaming being the key word

Also as much as I agree that the Reddit post is dubious at best I cant help but fantasise over the prospect of a 20 minute BOC epic to soothe my soul

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada