GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Imagine after 800+ pages of speculation and numerology.... Warp just sent out a press release. "new single called X out on X date. New album called Y out Y date."

This place would explode.

Eagle Minded
A_Northern_Soul wrote:Imagine after 800+ pages of speculation and numerology.... Warp just sent out a press release. "new single called X out on X date. New album called Y out Y date."

This place would explode.

This is so unlikely it hurts.

Dayvan Cowboy
But isn't that how most albums get released? I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that is how this all plays out.

Eagle Minded
Yeah @ that ^ especially because they played up such a huge ARG to promote Tomorrow's Harvest so I doubt they would do the same thing twice

Dayvan Cowboy
I think they got to the point where the Tomorrow's Harvest ARG was an irreversible vector and now they can't go back to regular releases without disappointing some fans.

But honestly, at this point in the life, I say, just give me the music :)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Echelon wrote:and now they can't go back to regular releases without disappointing some fans.

haters gonna hate

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:
Echelon wrote:and now they can't go back to regular releases without disappointing some fans.

haters gonna hate

Am I the only one feeling like you might know stuff we don't? :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:I think they got to the point where the Tomorrow's Harvest ARG was an irreversible vector and now they can't go back to regular releases without disappointing some fans.

Good point.

I sometimes think, what BOC is really are? What'r they'r goal..

Like somone said here before "Boards of Canada is not just about music, for a time now"

Pretentious, maybe. But, maybe, correct.

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:
Echelon wrote:I think they got to the point where the Tomorrow's Harvest ARG was an irreversible vector and now they can't go back to regular releases without disappointing some fans.

Like somone said here before "Boards of Canada is not just about music, for a time now"

Perhaps they know some truths about the world that we don't know and they'll divulge them one day in a grand statement. After all, they spent all those years traveling the world between TCH and TH

I'm only half sarcastic when i write this. Since you really don't know with them
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
arvy wrote:

Perhaps they know some truths about the world that we don't know and they'll divulge them one day in a grand statement. After all, they spent all those years traveling the world between TCH and TH

I'm only half sarcastic when i write this. Since you really don't know with them

I really, believe, in what they are travelling. With seing the world and people, comes the knowledge of understanding. A knowledge to undersatnd yourself as a universal one. Long road, Trans Canada Highway...

Posts Quantity

I disagree. I think they could forgo an ARG, and even with a bare-minimum rollout the fans will be there for it rabidly. Imagine the black square on their site becomes clickable and there’s a full album sitting there, with no promotional lead-up.

How many new listeners do you think were turned on to BOC solely from the ARG promotion of TH? The ARG was for the fans, and it was cool, but I can’t imagine it did much for BOC or for WARP

Dayvan Cowboy
I've always been pretty convinced that their next album will be dropped with no ARG and little to no promotion.

The ARG was pretty thematically specific to Tomorrow's Harvest, with the numbers station angle and the large number of subliminals on the album. I don't see any reason they'd be compelled to repeat it just to live up to fan hype. Since when have they ever let fan expectations dictate their artistic choices?

Boqurant
I think it's extreme to think that the album will be released with no buildup. Think about the listening party that Geogaddi had. I think we will definitely see some sort of ARG, just not the same scale as for TH.

Sherbet Head
debugDolores wrote:I think it's extreme to think that the album will be released with no buildup. Think about the listening party that Geogaddi had. I think we will definitely see some sort of ARG, just not the same scale as for TH.

What about MHTRTC and Campfire Headphase? Was there any sort of elaborate roll-out for them or did they just sorta get announced and then released? BOCPages doesn't turn up much for either, as far as I can tell the TCH rollout basically consisted of a preview of Into The Rainbow Vein getting posted on bleep before the album launched later and MHTRTC just sorta came out without any real fanfare.

Assuming that I'm correct about this, so far they've only done these elaborate rollouts for every other main album and a more standard launch for this one wouldn't be out of the question. Of course, maybe BoC just read this and are now changing the plans to make sure absolutely nobody correctly predicts their next move :P
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Posts Quantity
Sherbet Head wrote:
Navaru wrote:All of our proposed dates have passed ya?

Only one left. April 27th (anniversary of Pioneer 10's last telemetry) which is next Tuesday.

Pink super moons on Tuesday, we can only dream

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... -next-week

Dayvan Cowboy
well...

After more than 30 years, it appears the venerable Pioneer 10 spacecraft has sent its last signal to Earth. Pioneer's last, very weak signal was received on Jan. 22, 2003.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/ ... _25HQ.html

we are long past that... so 100% hogwash.
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Eagle Minded
debugDolores wrote:I think it's extreme to think that the album will be released with no buildup. Think about the listening party that Geogaddi had. I think we will definitely see some sort of ARG, just not the same scale as for TH.

I don't think it's extreme to speculate that they wouldn't do something extreme in terms of promotion - it seems more likely that, like most successful musicians who play into their mystery, they do whatever they want to subvert expectation.

It's sorta like how Death Grips released most of their material, they curated hype when they wanted to for releases and it was intentional and successful, then they announced they broke up and then just dropped an album with no announcement beforehand. Then they dropped another with only a few hints they were still active. With BoC it's a similar case, they're not really in debt to the fanbase for more fan service stuff. Again, see Aphex Twin with Syro, and then his other releases afterwards.

If a band or artist I really liked kept doing the same thing over and over, I don't think I'd be as surprised or excited about new material vs if they thru me for a loop. Just my 2 cents.

Eagle Minded
But now that I said that, I set an expectation, so perhaps MDG is watching and planning accordingly :O

Ottomatik wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:

haters gonna hate

Am I the only one feeling like you might know stuff we don't? :)

I don’t necessarily think you need advance knowledge to make a statement like this one. Both TCH and TH were quite polarizing albums. There’ll definitely be people hating the next album for what it is or not is. They can’t please everyone, right?

Eagle Minded
Magrathea wrote:well...

After more than 30 years, it appears the venerable Pioneer 10 spacecraft has sent its last signal to Earth. Pioneer's last, very weak signal was received on Jan. 22, 2003.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/ ... _25HQ.html

we are long past that... so 100% hogwash.

"The spacecraft returned its last telemetry data April 27, 2002"

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/missions/p ... /in-depth/

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada